Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Lol, I completely missed this on my first playthrough.

Edit: I now have a task to find out who did this lmao.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Broken Cog posted:

So (ending spoilers) were you actually a dirty cop, or was that just one of Rubys paranoid delusions? None of the others seem to think you were.

no, I think you were some kind of savant at being a cop with basically the Super Star thought maxed skills: Visual Calculus, Suggestion, Composure, Electro Chemistry

my theory: basically you arrive, instantly recognize what happened, go and fail to reach the island, realize the 2mm problem, go mad and monster drunk to forget it

Goa Tse-tung fucked around with this message at 12:57 on Oct 22, 2019

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Broken Cog posted:

So (ending spoilers) were you actually a dirty cop, or was that just one of Rubys paranoid delusions? None of the others seem to think you were.
I think that being a dirty cop in THAT manner, i.e. a mob asset/enforcer, was just a rumour, but one that teases at the greater world of the setting.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Goa Tse-tung posted:

no, I think you were some kind of savant at being a cop with basically the Super Star thought maxed skills: Visual Calculus, Suggestion, Composure, Electro Chemistry

my theory: basically you arrive, instantly recognize what happened, go and fail to reach the island, realize the 2mm problem, go mad and monster drunk to forget it

I think it's close to this: Harry was pretty close to wrapping the case up, but he'd been thinking about his girlfriend again. Like the consultant on your team said, drinking yourself into a stupor is a fairly logical reaction to being a cop in Revachol. The church just pushed him over the edge.

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012
God I passed so many insanely low roll in my playthrough. I passed 3 3% rolls, 1 8% rolls, and a super important one at 43% warning Kim during the shootout. I am almost not mad about walking into the tribunal without any preparation and still not having my gun despite having 8 H/E due to really wanting to make that shot to bring down the body on the first day.

pedro0930 fucked around with this message at 13:17 on Oct 22, 2019

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Goa Tse-tung posted:

Hogama posted:

I think that being a dirty cop in THAT manner, i.e. a mob asset/enforcer, was just a rumour, but one that teases at the greater world of the setting.

Yeah, I figured that was basically a red herring. It's kinda strange that it never comes up outside the dialogue with Ruby, but I guess it makes sense in a realistic sort of way since she seems to be the only one that believes it.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

You can ask your team about it at the end of the game: They say wouldn't work with you if that was the case plus you are so hosed that no mob boss would dare trust you.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Broken Cog posted:

Yeah, I figured that was basically a red herring. It's kinda strange that it never comes up outside the dialogue with Ruby, but I guess it makes sense in a realistic sort of way since she seems to be the only one that believes it.

It can also come up when you're chatting with the racist lorryman.

Serf
May 5, 2011

stuck at a certain part of the game and would appreciate a little help

day 4:
i'm trying to find ruby on the coast, and i've already found the bullet in the shack, leading me north. i've scoured everything in the area, went to the church and met tiago and sonna, did the cryptozoologist quest yesterday and met the guy and his kid looking at the sign. the only thing left to do is pass an impossible shivers check looking at the sign. i'm waiting until 22:00 to meet pigs about my gun, and i'm not sure what else to do to find ruby. i assume i need to find her both for the murder investigation and the drug investigation that will get the rich lady to tell me more about the murder

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Serf posted:

day 4:
i'm trying to find ruby on the coast, and i've already found the bullet in the shack, leading me north. i've scoured everything in the area, went to the church and met tiago and sonna, did the cryptozoologist quest yesterday and met the guy and his kid looking at the sign. the only thing left to do is pass an impossible shivers check looking at the sign. i'm waiting until 22:00 to meet pigs about my gun, and i'm not sure what else to do to find ruby. i assume i need to find her both for the murder investigation and the drug investigation that will get the rich lady to tell me more about the murder

If you so side quests around that area it gives bonuses to that skill check

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Serf posted:

day 4:

yes for the murder investigation. and unfortunately the only way forward is that shivers check. there are a bunch of sidequests that increases your chances (cryptozoology phasmid, calling random phone numbers until *that one*, dating the fisherwoman, completing everything in the church).

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
I finished it. The ending loving went places.

Also I got maybe my favorite line of the game in the very end.

8-bit Miniboss fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Oct 22, 2019

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Broken Cog posted:

Lol, I completely missed this on my first playthrough.

Edit: I now have a task to find out who did this lmao.

I got this on my first run and I was so invested in catching this daredevil hooligan hahahahah

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

wow only now after someone pointed it out to me that kim has a literal halo around him

truly a saint for putting up with your bullshit

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

frajaq posted:

wow only now after someone pointed it out to me that kim has a literal halo around him

truly a saint for putting up with your bullshit

Kim is great. He's just in the sweet-spot for a companion character, straight enough to find your antics draining, but goofy enough to go along for the ride. Especially considering how inexplicably good at this crime solving stuff the MC is.

Also he gives really great highfives

PantsBandit fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Oct 22, 2019

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
Anyone else enjoy getting mad at really dumb people online? Because I got a steaming hot take from the idpol-obsessed crowd that's perfect to tear apart relating to Disco Elysium:

https://twitter.com/FreyjaErlings/status/1186634147948908549

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

I mean, while I personally think poo poo like that is pointless to criticize a game for (devs should be able to make their vision without being beholden to every player's every want) they probably could've included a female avatar.

I'm not even to the halfway point yet so I could be wrong but there doesn't seem to be anything that wouldn't work just as well as a female character.

Knowing this game though, the devs would probably feel inclined to write another 100k lines of incidental dialogue as a result.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I'm not really sure they could've.

Admittedly, my "cis/hetero white man" is showing in this take, but so much of the main character and his interactions with people is wrapped up in the fact that he is a middle-aged white man. Playing as a woman would flip a ton of the game's interactions on their head to the degree that I just don't see how it'd be practical.

I can't shake the feeling that it speaks poorly of me that I feel like the work as it stands is more important than sacrificing parts of it to be more inclusive, though.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
You aren't just playing any character in this though, you are playing a specific one. Sure, you can shape him in many different ways because of his amnesia, but his past remains the same.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

Harrow posted:

I'm not really sure they could've.

Admittedly, my "cis/hetero white man" is showing in this take, but so much of the main character and his interactions with people is wrapped up in the fact that he is a middle-aged white man. Playing as a woman would flip a ton of the game's interactions on their head to the degree that I just don't see how it'd be practical.

I can't shake the feeling that it speaks poorly of me that I feel like the work as it stands is more important than sacrificing parts of it to be more inclusive, though.

My take? This is clearly meant to be a hard-boiled detective character from pulp fictions of yore. Who the gently caress were the protagonists of those tales again? To criticize the game for not including a female protagonist is stupid, always has been. When it's a possibility, devs tend to do choice. But, in this case, there's a realistic excuse and explanation thematically for it being a male protagonist.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

I would take a more fleshed out and well-realized game than one that makes concessions to be inclusive any day of the week.

That said in a perfect world there would be an equal number of games that speak to different experiences.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

they could easily make a sequel where you play as Klaasje, who is basically just Female Harry anyway

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Yeah I have no doubt the devs could manage to make a great game with a female protagonist, it's just not this game.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Apoplexy posted:

My take? This is clearly meant to be a hard-boiled detective character from pulp fictions of yore. Who the gently caress were the protagonists of those tales again? To criticize the game for not including a female protagonist is stupid, always has been. When it's a possibility, devs tend to do choice. But, in this case, there's a realistic excuse and explanation thematically for it being a male protagonist.

For me, it isn't even so much that it's a hard-boiled noir detective story--it's that a lot of the themes around the protagonist interact with his masculinity. Him being a man isn't just because it's a feature of the genre, but something that's actually interacted with and interrogated in the story itself. You really couldn't just slot a woman into the same role and have the same story, and not just in the usual "a handful of lines change a bit" way.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

I'm poorly-equipped to recognize and understand issues with sexism, but "men wrote this game" seemed pretty self-evident, and I wondered how it would feel from a different perspective. I'm loving the game and it DOES feel "free choice" and "roleplaying heavy" but the entire plot is built around the protagonist being a male detective and being haunted by his memories of a woman.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I don't agree with the overall take--that the game's writing direction clearly came from men--but I guess I'm just not in a position to see that as a necessarily bad thing, especially when the text seems very aware of and critical of that male perspective.

Serf
May 5, 2011

so much of the story depends on your character having a specific past and background, i'm not sure how you could put another character in that place

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Lt. Kitsuragi is one of the best companion characters out there. He's obviously the straight-man foil to your detective, but he's really fleshed out in many subtle ways, too. Just details like being amused by the black humor of dealing with death (try using the "deady-dead-dead" style responses"), getting jazzed about getting difficult tasks done, his intolerance for racism (because he only views himself as a native local and PROUDLY doesn't care about the "homeland" of his ancestors), his annoyance when you want to waste time with a board game (but also don't ask him to help punch out the cardboard pieces), just his stubborn reluctance to show that he's still a little invested in "youthful interests" (like Revolutionary pilots or cryptids), the major factor in WHY he's so reluctant about that and/or dealing with kids (he spent 15 years undercover as a pinball wizard for Juvie detail), his love for machinery and pride in his vehicle, his own thoughts on your fashion sense, the Eyebrow... there's just so much to him.

As far as non-male protagonists go, the team already floated that they have an idea of writing a five-month pregnant woman for a future story, didn't they?

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Apoplexy posted:

Anyone else enjoy getting mad at really dumb people online? Because I got a steaming hot take from the idpol-obsessed crowd that's perfect to tear apart relating to Disco Elysium:

https://twitter.com/FreyjaErlings/status/1186634147948908549

is this the first time she's seeing an RPG with a pre-determined character lol

DE wasnt the first and won't be the last

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
The lead writer and designer (and let's face it 'visionary' probably isn't too much of a hyperbole) is male, but according to the credits there were five writers and two were women.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

They did have Lena as a party member earlier in development but getting her places in that wheelchair was tricky

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

cock hero flux posted:

they could easily make a sequel where you play as Klaasje, who is basically just Female Harry anyway

IIRC, they are planing to do a sequel where you play as a woman 5 months into pregnancy.

Fat Samurai fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Oct 22, 2019

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

2/5 of the writers in the credits are women

Perhaps a hamster
Jun 15, 2010

PantsBandit posted:

I mean, while I personally think poo poo like that is pointless to criticize a game for (devs should be able to make their vision without being beholden to every player's every want) they probably could've included a female avatar.
Sure, finance them for another five years and they could've.

Out of all games, picking on the one that literally puts you inside the character's head for not providing gender choice options is kinda ridiculous. The game is absolutely written with this specific middle-aged male character in mind and the way the world reacts to you and you to the world reflects that.

Most other RPGs can (and should) offer extensive character customization and gender swap options because most other RPGs are basically wish-fulfilment power fantasies with blank-slate protagonists and therefore no reason not to offer those options, because, being wish-fulfilment fantasies, they don't delve into the more uncomfortable parts of life like discrimination, misogyny, racism, sexism or similar, and so flipping your avatar's gender or race is easy to do without any additional work beyond changing around some pronouns and adding some art assets.

DE does delve into all those uncomfortable topics, and that's why if it were to offer a gender choice, it would absolutely need those additional 100k words or more to do that choice justice. Similarly how it would also need a lot of extra words to accommodate a character who's younger, older, gayer or of a different race, because all of that is taken into account in character interactions in this world.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Does anyone know where to find the T-500 helmet? I got a clue twenty hours ago that Cuno kicked it into the river but I haven't heard anything about it since then. I've got the other three pieces already and I THINK I'm closing in on the end of the game. Just talked to Ruby, almost done with the church.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Phenotype posted:

Does anyone know where to find the T-500 helmet? I got a clue twenty hours ago that Cuno kicked it into the river but I haven't heard anything about it since then. I've got the other three pieces already and I THINK I'm closing in on the end of the game. Just talked to Ruby, almost done with the church.

its at the very end

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
I also find it somewhat irritating because gently caress you lady, nothing is stopping you from spending five years working on a game of your dreams for zero money while squatting in an abandoned building and you can make it about whatever the gently caress *you* want.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Phenotype posted:

(lil bit spoilery)
It shows up on its own near the end of the game, it's hard to miss.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Phenotype posted:

you find it during the ending sequence, it's very obvious and you won't miss out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Phenotype posted:

You absolutely cannot miss it. Just progress the game.