Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Is he still going to that HBCU this week?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/KFYRTV/status/1186367307796373507

quote:

A Republican state senator from North Dakota took to Facebook to post a long-debunked photo that claims to be Minnesota Democratic Rep. Ilhan Omar holding a weapon at an al-Qaida training camp.

The photo on the home page of Rep. Oley Larsen, of Minot, has been debunked by several sources since it appeared on social media this summer. It’s an Associated Press photo taken at a Mogadishu military training campus in 1978, before Omar was born.

Larsen also called Omar an “elected terrorist” in the comments section of his post. Rep. Omar said in a statement Monday evening, “Facebook’s unwillingness to crack down on hate speech and misinformation is not just threatening my life, but our democracy.”

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Minot? If this is representative of the area no wonder ulillillia had such a hard time growing up

ummel
Jun 17, 2002

<3 Lowtax

Fun Shoe

Ershalim posted:

Usually very elderly people who fall (especially repeatedly) are suffering from a lot more problems than just the fall itself. People generally see a fractured hip as a death sentence because what's usually happening isn't fall down -> break hip; it's hip breaks -> fall down. I wish Carter the best, and I know he's going to get excellent care. If anyone's going to live to be 120, I hope it's him.

Plus breaking a leg/hip bone leads to immobilization, risk of bed sores, DVTs, healthcare-related infections (super bugs!), etc. Carter will obviously have really good care, but for regular rubes it means being in a medicaid nursing home being cared for by a semi-retired doctor (or likely an ARNP or PA with carte blanche) and a nurse who has 8 patients on their list.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

haveblue posted:

Did that happen more than once? I thought it became a meme because the one singular instance of it was so amazingly stupid it was unforgettable.

I remember at least too instances, once when he was describing the location of Puerto Rico as an island surrounded by The Big Water, and also when describing how California was on fire because evil liberals were diverting small rivers and springs into The Big Water in the ocean and how the state needs to "open up the water."

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

Even though he's 95 and in the hospital with a broken pelvis, Jimmy Carter, right at this moment, is still 10x more badass than any of us will ever be. I fully expect him to be building houses by this time next week.

https://twitter.com/NBCNews/status/1186613379655446528?s=20

Remember when Carter slipped a knife into Dem and Union backs to kill Medicare for all/single payer for 40 years?

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Mr Hootington posted:

Remember when Carter slipped a knife into Dem and Union backs to kill Medicare for all/single payer for 40 years?

Not really? Because I was born after he left office?

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

https://twitter.com/NatashaBertrand/status/1186642553376067584

if this is true, it's hilarious.

not only might this be another article of impeachment, if they ever even manage to charge Brennan with anything they will get completely hosed when his legal defense drags this poo poo into the light.

and, with only 14 months left, they probably couldn't mount a case against him before democrats take over the white house and drop the charges.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Pants Donkey posted:

So here’s the- here’s the thing about ol’ slippin’ Jimmy. He was one of the worst presidents this country has ever had. The worst. He caused so many problems for us, problems that he could not solve. People make a big deal about him building houses? So what? I build houses. Big beautiful houses that are for the record much bigger than anything slippin’ Jimmy built. But nobody gives me credit for it. But that’s okay. It’s unfair, so unfair, but I don’t need it.

Thank you for this preview excerpt of DJT's eulogy at Carter's eventual funeral.

Just needs another 20 mins of filler material on Pelosi and wind turbines and it'll be ready for the teleprompter

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Ershalim posted:

Usually very elderly people who fall (especially repeatedly) are suffering from a lot more problems than just the fall itself. People generally see a fractured hip as a death sentence because what's usually happening isn't fall down -> break hip; it's hip breaks -> fall down. I wish Carter the best, and I know he's going to get excellent care. If anyone's going to live to be 120, I hope it's him.

I thought it was because a huge artery runs through the hip, practically supplying blood to the whole leg, and the fracture tends to cause lots of complications?

karthun
Nov 16, 2006

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Mr Hootington posted:

Also started us down on the neoliberal nightmare live in every day. Anyone think we are all better off with deregulated telecom, airlines, trucking, railroad, banking, oil and natural gas industries?

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

Fuschia tude posted:

I thought it was because a huge artery runs through the hip, practically supplying blood to the whole leg, and the fracture tends to cause lots of complications?

Its also due to the complications that come with having to deal with surgery at that age. More likely to get an infection/pneumonia or some other nasty poo poo whilst in hospital recovering

Ershalim
Sep 22, 2008
Clever Betty

Fuschia tude posted:

There's that, and the other complications that ummel pointed out too. The pelvis is pretty busy with the common iliac arteries and all the goodies with the colon and such, but the reason it gets cultural significance as an end-of-life injury is because hip fractures are typically a bone density thing. Once osteoporosis gets to the point where that's happening, it's kind of a sign the whole body's just about had it.

Like our justice system and government, really. It seems like it's breaking down now, but it's actually been broken the whole time and is only now actually falling over.

edit: Carter's injury was specifically called out as a pelvic fracture, but to prevent confusion, normally "hip fracture" refers to the upper part of the femur right where it narrows into the socket joint. Femur breaks are always a big deal because it's a big-rear end bone with all kinds of vascularity, but Carter's suffering from a different problem.

Ershalim fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Oct 22, 2019

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

Fuschia tude posted:

My grandmother was a spry, feisty old woman who was very active until she was 83 years old. Then one day she fell and broke her hip and that was all she wrote. She had various health problems for the next four years until her death.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

CyberPingu posted:

Its also due to the complications that come with having to deal with surgery at that age. More likely to get an infection/pneumonia or some other nasty poo poo whilst in hospital recovering

In addition to all that, the loss of mobility is *extremely* detrimental to geriatrics. Causes circulation problems, pressure sores, UTIs....

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Maybe you should ask some of your Klan buddies what a lynching really is.

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1186611272231636992?s=19

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Data Graham posted:

"Also I'll tell you folks, a lot of people don't know this, it was the Democrats who used to do you-know-what all the time, it wasn't the Republicans"

“It’s a word and people say hey, hey, you can’t say that. You can’t say it. And I never say it. But you’ve got a lot of folks, good folks, smart folks saying it about me. They call it a lynching. They say the democrats are lynching the president. And it’s a terrible thing! A lot of people saying it. Terrible. And they’re right, it’s a lynching”

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

Fuschia tude posted:

Breaking a hip/pelvis as an older adult is really bad because it significantly limits your mobility, which puts you at risk for clots, pneumonia, decubitous ulcers, and more. There's also the question of why the person fell, and it is not necessarily an innocuous answer. The artery isn't what makes it a really bad break for older folks.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Not really? Because I was born after he left office?

He's not wrong, though. People like to just blame Reagan for the beginning of deregulation but there was a push by the "new Democrats," the post McGovern group in the Senate (which included Joe Biden, but also Paul Tsongas, Al Gore, Gary Hart, etc) who were helping it, including support from Ted Kennedy.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Kennedy seemed to have kind of a reawakening of conscience and spirit when the bankruptcy bill debate was going on.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

https://twitter.com/alexanderbolton/status/1186646474597326848?s=21

I can never tell whether any given day is a day when he’ll go gently “tsk tsking” Trump or just go back to bootlicking

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

https://twitter.com/BarakRavid/status/1186650290382082048

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Lassitude posted:

Breaking a hip/pelvis as an older adult is really bad because it significantly limits your mobility, which puts you at risk for clots, pneumonia, decubitous ulcers, and more. There's also the question of why the person fell, and it is not necessarily an innocuous answer. The artery isn't what makes it a really bad break for older folks.

Yeah, in Jimmy's case, this may permanently put him in a wheelchair and limit his mobility. Given that he is a tremendously active man for his age, this will be a giant shift in his lifestyle and it's easy to extrapolate how that can translate to some getting depressed and essentially giving up the ghost.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen
https://twitter.com/burgessev/status/1186648149160583169?s=19

https://twitter.com/kaitlancollins/status/1186635689229721603?s=19

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Lol at the loving giant Sharpie inscription. Thirsty as gently caress

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Yeah, in Jimmy's case, this may permanently put him in a wheelchair and limit his mobility. Given that he is a tremendously active man for his age, this will be a giant shift in his lifestyle and it's easy to extrapolate how that can translate to some getting depressed and essentially giving up the ghost.

i can see that for most folks but carter seems to be a real grounded dude in touch with both his community and mortality, so i'm going to assume he's resilient in that way

like i don't think he's much longer for this world but i also don't think that he's going to suffer much emotionally, an ancient churchman with a massive support network has probably made his peace

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

kitten smoothie posted:

https://twitter.com/alexanderbolton/status/1186646474597326848?s=21

I can never tell whether any given day is a day when he’ll go gently “tsk tsking” Trump or just go back to bootlicking

What a shocker! The inbred, moon shine loving hick from the poo poo hole known as South Carolina gives no shits about a racially insensitive term!

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.

Willo567 posted:

What a shocker! The inbred, moon shine loving hick from the poo poo hole known as South Carolina gives no shits about a racially insensitive term!

there's a good chance he's been to a few he should know

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

This reads like something out of a yearbook.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Mr Hootington posted:

Carter has been a fantastic former president, but he was a lackluster actual president.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

https://mobile.twitter.com/RawStory/status/1186639213271244800

https://twitter.com/TheTNHoller/status/1186618644597497856

quote:

Hurst continued on. “I’m not prejudice [sic], a white male in this country has very few rights and they’re getting took more every day.”

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

Der Waffle Mous posted:

there's a good chance he's been to a few he should know

Would not surprise me in the least if it turned out he was a junior member of the KKK

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

Shinji2015 posted:

Trump’s signing “you’re great! Best of luck in the future!” in the yearbook of the kid who flunked out his senior year and is walking his drop-out documents to the principal’s office.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
I thought for sure Donny had complained about being lynched before. Maybe it was just one of the sycophants of the right wing grift train.

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747
Given the issues with union corruption during the 50s, 60s and 70s, I think it was unfortunately easy for many people to fall out of love with unions by the late 1970s.

I can’t imagine Ted Kennedy being unaffected by his brother’s war with Jimmy Hoffa.

ummel
Jun 17, 2002

<3 Lowtax

Fun Shoe

Willo567 posted:

Don't 'shine shame plz.

Toobly
Feb 19, 2013

Shinji2015 posted:

*passes note*

We're still friends, right? Please circle YES or NO

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

ummel posted:

Don't 'shine shame plz.

shine is praxis

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

These fucken ghouls

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

Ripoff posted:

Trump’s signing “you’re great! Best of luck in the future!” in the yearbook of the kid who flunked out his senior year and is walking his drop-out documents to the principal’s office.

He signs it filling up almost an entire page, ensuring that no one else has room to write on it.