Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
https://twitter.com/PeteButtigieg/status/1185247365323579392

He knows his little base I guess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

Shipon posted:

can we keep ben garrison around after the worker's revolution as controlled opposition

I really respect Garrison's artistic style and sensibilities. HATE his politics, but god drat if those aren't beautiful, Disney-like cartoons he draws.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Apoplexy posted:

I really respect Garrison's artistic style and sensibilities. HATE his politics, but god drat if those aren't beautiful, Disney-like cartoons he draws.

That's the ultimate irony of Ben Garrison: he has the artistic ability to communicate ideas through his art more effectively than the vast majority of political cartoonists, yet still feels the need to label absolutely everything.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

https://twitter.com/FreyjaErlings/status/1186633868402667520?s=20

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

This is me making the jerk-off in the air motion.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Apoplexy posted:

You're joking right? He has no knowledge of basic anatomy and his art falls apart under any sort of scrutiny.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
If it helps, the devs wanted to expand the game in sequels where you could pick other roles such as a pregnant woman but DE having the main role be a washed up cop was pretty much a given.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Honest Thief posted:

If it helps, the devs wanted to expand the game in sequels where you could pick other roles such as a pregnant woman but DE having the main role be a washed up cop was pretty much a given.

pregnant woman and washed up cop, the two genders

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
Yeah. It's KINDA missing the point of the game. Maybe if all pulp detective tales had been about hard-drinkin' female pigs instead of male ones we'd have seen Disco Elysium be a female-protag game. But they weren't.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

Gripweed posted:

pregnant woman and washed up cop, the two genders

tbf I think it's just one gender, washed, that seems to be their thing

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

not sure why chapo thread but yeah rpgs shouldnt have a preset protagonist
which is why disco elysium, like planescape, should be treated more like an adventure game and it rules at that

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

fatherboxx posted:

rpgs shouldnt have a preset protagonist

no

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Given that Felix was a voice in the game it's disappointing that there's no controller support.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
fov sliders and virgils character should've been a catgirl

Goast
Jul 23, 2011

by VideoGames

fatherboxx posted:

which is why disco elysium, like planescape, should be treated more like an adventure game and it rules at that

you have really bad video game opinions and should stop

Serf
May 5, 2011

afaict the chapos voice multiple characters in disco elysium

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I thought that all of these people were concentrating all of their horrible energy on Cyberpunk 2077 so they can levitate the Space Needle or whatever.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

Halloween Jack posted:

I thought that all of these people were concentrating all of their horrible energy on Cyberpunk 2077 so they can levitate the Space Needle or whatever.

Turns out trans queer polyamorous disabled autistic depressed people with anime profile pics on Twitter have a lot of loving time on their hands. (as do I :( )

Nikaer Drekin
Oct 11, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Cloks posted:

You're joking right? He has no knowledge of basic anatomy and his art falls apart under any sort of scrutiny.

Yeah, his linework is cleaner than most political cartoonists I guess, but his cartoons are still incredibly ugly.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Cloks posted:

The bar is extremely low for political cartoonists and yes garrison's art is absolutely among the best

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Cloks posted:

no and it rules

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
I'm just saying, he could do art and it'd be distinctive and actually somewhat viewable, unlike the other political cartoonists. The loving Dry Bones guy needs to be beaten to death with an easel.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
https://twitter.com/GeorgeWHerbert/status/1186517535090335745

This is amazing. The WaPo hired an advisor to the NSO Group, the company which sold spyware to the Sauds. The ones who used that spyware to track and spy on Jamal Khashoggi shortly before they murdered and dismembered him at an embassy. A reporter who worked at WaPo.

And PJ O'Rourke, which is almost as egregious an insult to everyone's intelligence.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Apoplexy posted:

And PJ O'Rourke, which is almost as egregious an insult to everyone's intelligence.

I used to be a huge fan of O'Rourke's. He can write funny pretty well.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
The only O'Rourke sentiment I recall agreeing with was when he said that "overpopulation" means "There's just enough of me and way too many of you."

Dr. Puppykicker
Oct 16, 2012

Meanwhile

O'Rourke is pretty much whatever the male equivalent of "winemom" is.

Edit: more in demeanor than political leanings. "Martini dad" I guess?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I remember Felix saying something like "...that PJ O'Rourke style of humour where you drink a cocktail and go, a hurr hurr hurr, welfare."

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Yeah, that's really not Disco Elysium. It's not about freedom of choice or customization or whatever selling point at all.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

https://twitter.com/MikeGravel/status/1186609740341579781?s=19

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

prefect posted:

I used to be a huge fan of O'Rourke's. He can write funny pretty well.

National Lampoon-era (and even Republican Party Reptile-era) O'Rourke is funny as poo poo and holds up pretty well. It was when he fell in with the Cato Institute and tried to be a Serious Opinion-Haver that he fell off.

Someone once summed him up as "never having escaped the Faustian bargain that in order to be famous he has to be funny". So now his comedy is begrudging and half-hearted and his opinions are libertarian dogshit...which makes the WaPo a perfect place for him now I think about it

e: even after he went full Rothbard, he still had the occasional correct opinion:

Clipperton fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Oct 22, 2019

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

Dr. Puppykicker posted:

O'Rourke is pretty much whatever the male equivalent of "winemom" is.

Edit: more in demeanor than political leanings. "Martini dad" I guess?

bourbon bastards are already a Chapo genre of guy. Not sure if he really fits it though (blissfully unaware of most of this person's poo poo)

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

It should be illegal to play as a man in all videogames please subscribe to my newsletter

Also that gravel tweet owns

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

fatherboxx posted:

Nah rpgs having set protags is fine and normal for the genre since like the 80s

Not every rpg has to be Baldur's Gate

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

I get mad when the protagonist of a book is a woman and there's no alternate version I can buy where it's a fella

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

emdash posted:

bourbon bastards are already a Chapo genre of guy. Not sure if he really fits it though (blissfully unaware of most of this person's poo poo)
Nah, O'Rourke is the more self-satisfied, William F. Buckley sort of rich drunk douchebag.

Clipperton posted:

Someone once summed him up as "never having escaped the Faustian bargain that in order to be famous he has to be funny". So now his comedy is begrudging and half-hearted and his opinions are libertarian dogshit...which makes the WaPo a perfect place for him now I think about it
I'm pretty sure his opinions were always libertarian dogshit; that was just concealed by the fact that he ragged on both parties and government in general, the most facile kind of political humour.

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

This is what fascinates me most in existence: the peculiar necessity of imagining what is, in fact, real.

The one of devs of Disco Elysium on why the protagonist is male:

quote:

Kurvitz says that most games that offer a choice between male and female protagonists aren’t really doing so, and that it’s financially impossible to write a good male and female perspective with the production timelines involved. “They’re none of them, they’re soldiers, then, or saviours or something. They don’t have male or female characters in that way.” Disco Elysium’s protagonist is a man, “with all the baggage that entails”, and so they don’t want to just change the character portrait and call it a job well done. That being the case, they’re erring on the side of this female protagonist being an expansion.

“We don’t want to be superficial about it, it’s not just about the portrait image,” explains Metsniit. “It’s a whole universe of what the character would be like, differently. We’re not going to do it unless it’s perfect.”

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Clipperton posted:

National Lampoon-era (and even Republican Party Reptile-era) O'Rourke is funny as poo poo and holds up pretty well. It was when he fell in with the Cato Institute and tried to be a Serious Opinion-Haver that he fell off.

e: even after he went full Rothbard, he still had the occasional correct opinion:

I especially liked his "Modern Manners" and "Bachelor Home Companion" stuff -- he has written about how he found a Miss Manners book (I think it was her) as a youth, and it was a thing he loved to read over and over again. (Miss Manners was actually funny as hell -- I had previously assumed it was completely serious and horrible, but she's a hoot.)

But I know it's not the thing most people enjoy these days. :shrug: :corsair:

And politically, I think he has a better-than-most-Republicans record of reasonable opinions because he's done so much traveling to the places he's reporting on. Actually seeing the horrible poo poo in person makes it a lot harder to have one of those "actually, the Grenfell fire was a good thing" opinions.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

I’m a Dave Barry man myself

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

I’m a Dave Barry man myself

For many years, I bought and read every single Dave Barry book. Read them and re-read them obsessively. :blush:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

Truly it is a wonderful time to be a gamer

https://twitter.com/Papapishu/status/1186643699847041025