Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

1redflag posted:

Like, what are the complexities that are preventing you from agreeing with the former statement?

Your organisation is receiving a billion dollars a year in revenue from the repressors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

1redflag posted:

I mean, you are kind of a garbage person if you think the answer to “stop repressing basic human rights” is “well, it’s complicated.” Like, what are the complexities that are preventing you from agreeing with the former statement?

The fact that historically humanity has been pretty godawful at agreeing on exactly what basic human rights are?
I know we're specifically referencing the actions of the Chinese government here, and yes, they're a horrifying bunch of despots.

Just do consider that plenty of people -- if not most people -- in the US think that "owning guns" is a "basic human right", a stance which almost every other nation in the world regards as completely loving nuts.

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all
Ooooh the gun control hard counter. This thread is in for it.

HerStuddMuffin
Aug 10, 2014

YOSPOS
Can you please stop hurting the feelings of the Chinese people?

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Stick to what you're good at. Sportsmen keep playing sports, and I'll keep doing nothing.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

This thread had a good run. Someone start a new one.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

value-brand cereal posted:

This thread had a good run. Someone start a new one.

Be the change you wish to see in the world

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

On sportspeople speaking out about political/social stuff:

The trouble is "I'm sorry, I don't know enough about the situation to give an informed answer." is not an answer being given enough. Nor an answer that would be respected enough. Either by the person asking the initial question, nor by the thousands of 'experts' that will jump on them whatever they say.

So yeah, telling them to "stick to sports" is a cop out, and is generally used by butthurt people who disagree with someone voicing an opinion. But to the person in the public eye/firing line, it is probably safer to say as little as possible.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

If you feel that way, tho, you can just say “no comment”. Like, it’s that easy. Saying “well, I don’t know enough to say anything, and neither does that other person”, is trying to have your cake and eat it too.

E. I never said it would isolate you from criticism.

Brother Tadger has a new favorite as of 21:30 on Oct 24, 2019

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
People did say no comment and they were treated basically the same way as James is now

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

CharlestheHammer posted:

People did say no comment and they were treated basically the same way as James is now

No comment? No, comment!

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

It's not easy being white, it's not easy being brown etc.

https://twitter.com/nuffsaidny/status/1187162672279764992

Catpain Slack
Apr 1, 2014

BAAAAAAH
Holy poo poo.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
It gets “better” when you start reading the replies. There’s someone in the comments that claims to be one of the people that created the campaign. Their argument is that these are all things that these athletes said out of a list of things describing themselves, so it’s okay.

Completely missing the point that that’s probably worse because whoever made the graphics intentionally picked “this is my career” for the white people and “lol I’m black” for the black people out of a list of other, more appropriate stuff.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Joey Freshwater posted:

It gets “better” when you start reading the replies. There’s someone in the comments that claims to be one of the people that created the campaign. Their argument is that these are all things that these athletes said out of a list of things describing themselves, so it’s okay.

Completely missing the point that that’s probably worse because whoever made the graphics intentionally picked “this is my career” for the white people and “lol I’m black” for the black people out of a list of other, more appropriate stuff.

Deadspin did an article on this that also includes what the black students' opening lines that these were pulled from actually were. The guy's line was “I am a brother, uncle and best of all, I am a leader,” which gives you some decent pulls but nothing related to profession, and I could see a graphic designer pulling 'brother' from that. But the girl's was “I am an African-American woman, a sister, a daughter and a future physical therapist”, so they've got no excuse there.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Cleretic posted:

Deadspin did an article on this that also includes what the black students' opening lines that these were pulled from actually were. The guy's line was “I am a brother, uncle and best of all, I am a leader,” which gives you some decent pulls but nothing related to profession, and I could see a graphic designer pulling 'brother' from that. But the girl's was “I am an African-American woman, a sister, a daughter and a future physical therapist”, so they've got no excuse there.
"I am a leader" would have been just fine, wonder why they didn't use it :thunk:

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

They might as well have just put "surprisingly articulate" on there.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Splicer posted:

"I am a leader" would have been just fine, wonder why they didn't use it :thunk:

I was trying to look at it from the perspective of 'maybe they aren't racist, maybe they're just stupid'. I could see a college media student getting all these back, seeing one guy not mention any future occupations whatsoever like he's using for everyone else, and going 'oh gently caress, what do I do here, uhhh, okay he opened with brother so that's probably important to him let's go with that'. Sure, leader would probably be better, but there's not-racist logic you can apply here!

But then you look at what the girl provided and it all falls apart, nope, the guy behind this is pretty poo poo.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Cleretic posted:

I was trying to look at it from the perspective of 'maybe they aren't racist, maybe they're just stupid'. I could see a college media student getting all these back, seeing one guy not mention any future occupations whatsoever like he's using for everyone else, and going 'oh gently caress, what do I do here, uhhh, okay he opened with brother so that's probably important to him let's go with that'. Sure, leader would probably be better, but there's not-racist logic you can apply here!

But then you look at what the girl provided and it all falls apart, nope, the guy behind this is pretty poo poo.

They probably think they're being a woke progressive ally just by publicly showing a black person doing a thing.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Cleretic posted:

I try not to attribute to malice what can be attributed to incompetence/laziness.

So the other option is a lazy/stupid intern/student just took the first sentence they wrote, and it that sentence was too long, the first part of that sentence. Coz they couldn't be arsed to do any more work than they absolutely had to.

Although, this explanation is being very generous, and doesn't take into account the white kids talk about their jobs and the non-white kids talk about their race. (I know the dude didn't talk about his race, but it was edited to make it look like he did.)

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007
https://twitter.com/BP_plc/status/1186645440621531136

This strategy and tweet was bad enough, but they're actually responding to people in the thread. lol

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

BrigadierSensible posted:

I try not to attribute to malice what can be attributed to incompetence/laziness.

So the other option is a lazy/stupid intern/student just took the first sentence they wrote, and it that sentence was too long, the first part of that sentence. Coz they couldn't be arsed to do any more work than they absolutely had to.

I get what you're saying -- as in, I'm not immediately assuming this was a diabolical plot they cooked up while a cross burned in the background -- but a lot of times, racism is laziness. It's being too lazy to consider that the scales are already tipped and the default option might not be neutral. It's taking offense at the idea that all the work hasn't already been done.

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

HerStuddMuffin
Aug 10, 2014

YOSPOS
I can’t even figure out what the intended message was. I’m pretty sure it wasn’t promoting suicide. All of my firearm experience comes from video games, but apparently the kind of weapon that fires .50 cal ammo would be unwieldy for a suicide, so... :shrug:

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

HerStuddMuffin posted:

I can’t even figure out what the intended message was. I’m pretty sure it wasn’t promoting suicide. All of my firearm experience comes from video games, but apparently the kind of weapon that fires .50 cal ammo would be unwieldy for a suicide, so... :shrug:

I think it's just supposed to be a dark joke about shooting people that fails at every level.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

HerStuddMuffin posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nMkiDguYtGw

still true though

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I dunno, a point black 50 cal round sounds like a good way to ensure you're going to be dead.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I dunno, a point blank 50 cal round sounds like a good way to ensure you're going to be dead.

Listen, if I'm going out by .50 cal there better be a Russian lady on the other end, a mile away.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Beachcomber posted:

Listen, if I'm going out by .50 cal there better be a Russian lady on the other end, a mile away.

Are you a Nazi, a Ukrainian, or a large and juicy fruit?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Ego-bot posted:

https://twitter.com/BP_plc/status/1186645440621531136

This strategy and tweet was bad enough, but they're actually responding to people in the thread. lol
https://twitter.com/BP_plc/status/1186652967757369344
That's some serious well actuallying

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Remember when Deepwater Horizon shat all over the Gulf of Mexico and certain people had the temerity say that Obama’s reference to “British Petroleum” was racist?

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
It's like when they tried to pretend KFC didn't stand for Kentucky Fried Chicken.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
KFC did that in Australia, re-branded all their stores to just "KFC" after they had been Kentucky Fried Chicken forever. They didn't want to be associated with fries chicken being super not healthy, I think. It flopped, of course, because people don't go to KFC for anything other than a salty grease nightmare.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

They are just KFC in the united states for like two decades now. But I never see standalone KFCs either. It's always combined with Taco Bell.

Gann Jerrod
Sep 9, 2005

A gun isn't a gun unless it shoots Magic.

It reminds me of one of my favorite articles from The Onion.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Memento posted:

KFC did that in Australia, re-branded all their stores to just "KFC" after they had been Kentucky Fried Chicken forever. They didn't want to be associated with fries chicken being super not healthy, I think. It flopped, of course, because people don't go to KFC for anything other than a salty grease nightmare.

I don't think it was any elaborate thing about not wanting to be associated with fried chicken or anything, especially since if you dig deeper they're all about their Kentucky history and the original restaurant in Corbin is a KFC museum now that has a replica of the original kitchen and motel room on the site (it's actually pretty neat). People had just been calling it "KFC" for decades because the whole name is a mouthful, so they rebranded to what everyone already called it.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
No, they literally announced in 1991 that they were ditching the word "fried" in an attempt to re-brand as a healthier option.

Edit:

https://www.news.com.au/finance/bus...248cc54551275a7

quote:

Kentucky Fried Chicken, founded in 1930, abruptly dumped its full name in favour of its initials in 1991.

KFC’s celebration of its buckets full of battered badness was no longer resonating with health conscious diners.

At the time, the boss of KFC’s US division Kyle Craig told Business Week magazine the rebrand was “the key to reduce dependence on the word ‘fried’,”. Its removal would allow the chain to also sell boiled chicken and chicken sandwiches, he hoped.

Memento has a new favorite as of 03:11 on Oct 29, 2019

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Mu Zeta posted:

They are just KFC in the united states for like two decades now. But I never see standalone KFCs either. It's always combined with Taco Bell.

They definitely exist. There's two near me in CA.

In Pittsburgh, we were blessed with the rare KenTacoHut

I say blessed, but I've never actually eaten Taco Bell and my streak is too long to give up easily now.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Taco Bell is actually acknowledged as the healthiest option of the fast food franchises

Do not confuse this for a genuine defense of taco bell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
KFC has the best fries of any fast food place. And this isn't a defense of KFC, but it is a defense available for anyone who's going to KFC anytime soon.