Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CityMidnightJunky
May 11, 2013

by Smythe

Doom Mathematic posted:

It never made sense to me that anybody in-universe would even believe there was only one Batman. If there's only one of him, he would be the busiest man in the universe. Second, obviously the Batman who's on the Justice League can't be the same guy who's running around catching street-level bank robbers, how does that make any sense? How would a regular human be on the Justice League? Thirdly, even if there's only one Batman operating at a time, he must have been killed and replaced by a new guy a half-dozen times by this point.

Ah the 3 Batmen Theory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Image four batmen on the edge of a gargoyle...

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
Crime works the same way.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
How the hell do people keep track of characters when each one has splintered off into like 50 different variations? :confused:

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Dick Trauma posted:

How the hell do people keep track of characters when each one has splintered off into like 50 different variations? :confused:

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

WaywardWoodwose posted:

I don't like this idea (Superman does have a lot of poo poo to do without handling other peoples problems) but I loved the comic where Green Arrow was at sea with his injured son for some reason or another, and he just whispers "Clark, help." and Connor is just whisked away like he disappeared.

The TV show Arrow had a scene where he calls someone over the phone and the person on the line asks for proof he’s actually talking to the Green Arrow so Oliver texts Barry who proceeds to speed into the dude’s office and leaves a post-it note as proof.

It’s incredibly dumb and a waste of time but I love when you get these pointless crossovers showing off super powered friends as long as you don’t ask yourself “why the hell don’t they do this all the time?”

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

The TV show Arrow had a scene where he calls someone over the phone and the person on the line asks for proof he’s actually talking to the Green Arrow so Oliver texts Barry who proceeds to speed into the dude’s office and leaves a post-it note as proof.

It’s incredibly dumb and a waste of time but I love when you get these pointless crossovers showing off super powered friends as long as you don’t ask yourself “why the hell don’t they do this all the time?”

I think it was Bill Willingham who wrote an essay about the Caped Man In Blue rescuing his Red-Headed Reporter Friend over and over, while ignoring all the other problems in the world.

"Help!", yells the Red-Headed Reporter Friend, and the Caped Man in Blue ignores people dying in floods and fires and cave-ins.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Parahexavoctal posted:

I think it was Bill Willingham who wrote an essay about the Caped Man In Blue rescuing his Red-Headed Reporter Friend over and over, while ignoring all the other problems in the world.

"Help!", yells the Red-Headed Reporter Friend, and the Caped Man in Blue ignores people dying in floods and fires and cave-ins.

Wow what a hot original take :rolleyes:

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
This just reminds me how great the Samaritan issues of Astro City are. They address this kind of stuff and it's great.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

prefect posted:

This just reminds me how great the Samaritan issues of Astro City are. They address this kind of stuff and it's great.

In a just world, Kurt Busiek is a bigger deal

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

TwoPair posted:

Wow what a hot original take :rolleyes:

Barely a 32% on the Woman of Kleenex scale when it comes to jaded essays about Superman

Also agree about Samaritan specifically and Busiek generally

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Astro City is superb. It's never not been superb and the fact that Busiek isn't mentioned in the same breath as Moore or Ellis or Morrison, etc, for his work on it is a deep injustice. I reckon it's because his big think-y series is generally hopeful and optimistic rather than being cynical and hard-edged.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Do you think there's a Bigger Bat entry in the in-universe Batman wiki

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

AnonSpore posted:

Do you think there's a Bigger Bat entry in the in-universe Batman wiki

The thought of trying to keep track of DC's continuity down to minute details gives me a headache.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

El Gallinero Gros posted:

In a just world, Kurt Busiek is a bigger deal

Wasn't the problem that Busiek had to drop out of the world for a while because he ended up with mercury poisoning?

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Skwirl posted:

MCU generally refers to the movies, so there's 0 Wolverines at the moment, but that will likely change now that Disney has the X-Men film rights again. In the comics there was never more than one mutant going by Wolverine hanging around at the same time. When Original Wolverine died Laura went by the name, but she dropped it before he came back. Old Man Logan was around for a while at the same time Laura was Wolverine, but he explicitly never used the name. The actual wolverine's name is Jonathan.

Oh you aren't getting out of that one so easily.
What about Albert (robot that thinks its Wolverine. ) or the Wolverine who was created by space nanites and went off into space at the end of Wolverine: The Best There Is at What He does maxi series?
I'm sure there are a bunch of other Wolverines hidden in the corners of the Marvel Universe.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Wanderer posted:

Wasn't the problem that Busiek had to drop out of the world for a while because he ended up with mercury poisoning?

It definitely didn't help, but Busiek has a lot of quality work in a lot of different contexts, and if guys like Frank Miller (who hasn't done anything decent in years) can coast on rep, so should Busiek be able to

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost

prefect posted:

I think its in the dark age, maybe, but Astro City also brings up the whole idea of: "Hitting a bad guy in the head hard enough hes unconcious but still breathing and then leaving him in an alley with no medical attention is just slightly delayed murder". The thing that edgier antiheroes and batman types just kinda ignore.

GPTribefan
Jul 2, 2007
Something witty yet inspirational about the Cleveland Indians

prefect posted:

The second Sentry mini-series did a great job with this as well. It showed Bob being driven to madness because he thought he had to address every problem everywhere, but couldn’t be in two or three places at once. He worked himself to the point of exhaustion trying to solve every crisis and assist in every disaster around the world.

While the whole mini wasn’t that great, it was a really good insight into what it would be like to have god-like powers and an unending conscience.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

El Gallinero Gros posted:

It definitely didn't help, but Busiek has a lot of quality work in a lot of different contexts, and if guys like Frank Miller (who hasn't done anything decent in years) can coast on rep, so should Busiek be able to

In my mind, Busiek is one of the GOATs because of the way Batman gets clowned in JLA/Avengers twice!!! Not by Bats admitting to Cap that Cap might be able to beat him, but it would take longer than they have to fight. Instead, it's indirect both times, strongly implying Batman is only good for beating up street thugs, themed villains, and overconfident world-conquerors, not real, "grounded" threats. Near the end when everyone's fighting through everyone's villains, first Cap is confronted by Prometheus, Batman's Taskmaster-themed villain who almost defeated the whole JLA by himself. Cap lays him out because, and I practically quote directly, "punching out Nazis reaches a man how to ignore cheap gimmicks during combat". Then, when Batman has a clear run up to Krona's control room or whatever, a mysterious figure steps out to block him, who we then see revealed and introducing himself in half a vertical page as "Batroc...Zee Leapair!" Busiek gives us the treat of taking Batman off the board for the rest of the fight IIRC, implying that a master criminal whose superpower is...*checks notes* skilled at French kickboxing... is enough to stalemate "the single most dangerous man in the Justice League".

Also, not a spoiler because it's on the cover, Superman fights through part of the last battle wielding both Mjolnir and Cap's shield, which wasn't so common a thing for someone to do 20 years ago.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

One More Fat Nerd posted:

I think its in the dark age, maybe, but Astro City also brings up the whole idea of: "Hitting a bad guy in the head hard enough hes unconcious but still breathing and then leaving him in an alley with no medical attention is just slightly delayed murder". The thing that edgier antiheroes and batman types just kinda ignore.

I really like the two Steeljack arcs where the focus is on the grinding difficulty of being a superpowered ex-con. I've seen other comics pay lip service to that idea, but Astro City really spends some time living in it. Busiek good.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

The Question IRL posted:

Oh you aren't getting out of that one so easily.
What about Albert (robot that thinks its Wolverine. ) or the Wolverine who was created by space nanites and went off into space at the end of Wolverine: The Best There Is at What He does maxi series?
I'm sure there are a bunch of other Wolverines hidden in the corners of the Marvel Universe.

Is "The MAXX" a failed Wolverine clone?

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
...I mean, yeah, Batroc has a silly accent and his win-loss record's not great, but considering who he's usually fighting, he's a legitimate badass. It actually makes sense that he'd be able to keep somebody like Batman tied up for a while.

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"
I love Batroc, he's the best. His fights with Tarantula in Punisher: Eurohit are some of my super faves.

Edit: I need to make that last panel my new avatar

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Dick Trauma posted:

It helps if you don't try to focus on all of them. And except a few legacy characters like Robin, Superboy, and Phoenix, it's usually not super complicated. Also, Hawkman's real superpower is absorbing multiple conflicting origin stories so other more popular characters can be kept simple.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

Edit: I need to make that last panel my new avatar

Yes. Yes you do.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Wanderer posted:

...I mean, yeah, Batroc has a silly accent and his win-loss record's not great, but considering who he's usually fighting, he's a legitimate badass. It actually makes sense that he'd be able to keep somebody like Batman tied up for a while.

Anyone who likes Batroc needs to read Cap #303:

I legit love this guy.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Admiralty Flag posted:

In my mind, Busiek is one of the GOATs because of the way Batman gets clowned in JLA/Avengers

I need to re-read JLA/Avengers, because in text, both of those sound really bad.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

JLA Avengers owns because it's basically allows two immensely talented individuals, who are also huge fanboys to boot, to just go nuts and play with all the toys. There's a ton of great character moments in that series.

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"
Cap #303 was a good one, especially when Batroc kicks through a fence to nail Cap. Another fave is the excellent Captain America and Batroc one-shot by Gillen and Arlem where Batroc takes a job just to check out the new Captain America (Bucky).

Batroc!

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
Anyone else think he looks kinda like Randy Savage there?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

SonicRulez posted:

I need to re-read JLA/Avengers, because in text, both of those sound really bad.

I think that "clowning" kind of overstates things -- they weren't that extreme.

Although the part where Batman acts all snotty about Ben Grimm and Cap straightens him the gently caress out is super-awesome. :neckbeard:

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Wanderer posted:

nobody's better than Batroc

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

prefect posted:

I think that "clowning" kind of overstates things -- they weren't that extreme.

Although the part where Batman acts all snotty about Ben Grimm and Cap straightens him the gently caress out is super-awesome. :neckbeard:

What was his problem?

Also: Have Batroc and Gambit ever met?

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Beachcomber posted:

What was his problem?

it's pretty mild tbqh, Ben carries on about Yancy street for like four panels, and then:

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

LordSaturn posted:

it's pretty mild tbqh, Ben carries on about Yancy street for like four panels, and then:

I might also have been overstating my case a tiny bit. :blush:

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

It's one of those things that makes more sense in the conversation around the universes, i.e. that Marvel's flagship heroes are often bizarre misfits while DC's are usually sculpted paragons.

I think that's become a lot less the case since JLA/Avengers in 2003, but in that era it's a pretty apt observation that a character who looked like the Thing wouldn't be headlining one of the DC universe's major superteams, and Batman is politely baffled by this Outsiders-looking guy being one of the world's big name heroes.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Alacron posted:

Anyone else think he looks kinda like Randy Savage there?

OH YEAAAAH!

But seriously I love that one shot.
Because it goes with the idea that Batroc as a mercenary is a super competant, morose guy who does stuff by the book. And hates it.
The personification of a person doing a job for a cheque and nothing else.

But as soon as Captain America shows up, he waxes up the moustache, puts on a comical French-English accent and had the time of his life. A man trying to prove that a master of Savant can stand up to a gene engineered super soldier.

eliotlucas
Aug 6, 2006

There's a good Batroc scene at the end of Gruenwald's run where he comes to Avengers Mansion looking for Cap, who is, at this point dying and has but hours left to live. Cap is to tired for a confrontation and invites Batroc into the mansion for tea and the two talk for a while, with Cap trying to convince Batroc to become a hero.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

eliotlucas posted:

There's a good Batroc scene at the end of Gruenwald's run where he comes to Avengers Mansion looking for Cap, who is, at this point dying and has but hours left to live. Cap is to tired for a confrontation and invites Batroc into the mansion for tea and the two talk for a while, with Cap trying to convince Batroc to become a hero.

All I know of Gruenwald is he wrote the Skull vs Magneto moment which is incredibly badass.