Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

People love comic sans, that's why it gets used so much!

e- cursed again, begin the summoning

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

Guavanaut posted:

Didn't think I could get more ashamed of this country, what the gently caress.

Can we do the Brexit, but with Britain exiting this plane of existence instead of the EU

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:
The sensible compromise is Comic Neue. Futura is way more overused anyway.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

Do you really not expect yougov's polling demographic to like comic sans? They're all old tory managerial farts, of course they like comic sans.
I'd have thought old tory managerial farts would be the types that moan about sans-serif fonts in newspapers and prefer Times New Roman or Plantin, and regard Helvetica as dangerously liberal.

Azza Bamboo posted:

I find comic sans easy to read. I see no issue with it. It's just got meme status so actual opinions now need to bow to the lols.
It's a badly proportioned font, which oddly enough makes it good for people with dyslexia, because it's hard to skim and you tend to take it a letter at a time subconsciously.

Which makes it bad for most other uses.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

HJB posted:

The sensible compromise is Comic Neue. Futura is way more overused anyway.

Friendship ended with FUTURA

Now VERDANA is my best friend

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Azza Bamboo posted:

I find comic sans easy to read. I see no issue with it. It's just got meme status so actual opinions now need to bow to the lols.

Over 20 years ago I wrote a master's dissertation (STEM subject) in Comic Sans. No one told me it was a bad font. Apparently the examiners laughed themselves silly. But I still got distinction for it. But then scientists love Times New Roman in cramped dual column papers because it makes things look more complicated than they are. Comic Sans - as a sans serif font - is apparently very readable by many dyslexics.

Politics and News :

Long article by Peter Oborne on how Boris Johnson is getting his lies out to the public by using unnamed 'sources'.

quote:

British journalists have become part of Johnson’s fake news machine
It’s chilling. From the Mail, The Times to the BBC and ITN, everyone is peddling Downing Street’s lies and smears. They’re turning their readers into dupes.

Peter Oborne
22 October 2019

..... long read .....

https://www.opendemocracy.net/en/opendemocracyuk/british-journalists-have-become-part-of-johnsons-fake-news-machine/

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Calibri font of the proletariat.

Morningwoodpecker
Jan 17, 2016

I DIDN'T THINK IT WAS POSSIBLE FOR SOMEONE TO BE THIS STUPID

BUT HERE YOU ARE

Bobby Deluxe posted:

The producers keep teasing it after the end of S2 where they dropped him and :spock: off on the enterprise but I worry that they'll leave the grimdark producers in charge and it'll just be another 'can the captain explode the explosion before the explosion explodes?' plot with a background arc where everything is not only poo poo but getting worse.

I just want a traditional captain / ship / crew trek encountering planet of the week that isn't desperately trying to be clever or break the mould. With all of the shows coming out right now its like they bought the rights to trek and then immediately went 'right, how do we make it completely different from that?'

Sounds like you'd appreciate the Orville.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

But then scientists love Times New Roman in cramped dual column papers because it makes things look more complicated than they are.

Hell at least they're using it in columns like it's meant for, instead of big rear end full-width lines

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Pesmerga posted:

Today is going to be make or break for the Labour Party. I see this going through, on Labour support, and then no election for the foreseeable future.

Bozza has no majority. There's going to be an election soon no matter what.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

I'm partial to the dyslexie font myself. I mean the theory behind it helping with dyslexia has apparently been sturdily refuted, but I just like the way it looks.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/MarkDiStef/status/1186677107277094918?s=20

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Tekton is the best handwritten style font, and is also readable to people with dyslexia because of the dots on the letter (originally by Frank Ching's use of a draughtsman's pen).

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
I use tekton for comic strips when I need to be a little neater than my appalling handwriting.

RockyB
Mar 8, 2007

Dog Therapy: Shockingly Good

That explains why I reacted to the previous entries in this series by trying to violently stab out my eyes.

You can just feel the smug "I'm a sensible and respected civil servant who knows the REAL truth" vibes greasily wafting off it.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

The Sir Henry Appelby of our time.

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

John "Black Jack" Pershing
Hard Fucking Core

Bobby Deluxe posted:

With all of the shows coming out right now its like they bought the rights to trek and then immediately went 'right, how do we make it completely different from that?'

:same: If I'm buying Star Trek, I want to buy Star Trek. Also I think the lack of a regular TV slot hurt Discovery...there's no way in hell I was gonna sign up for CBS' boutique streaming service just to take a flyer on this. Especially given that the remainder of the CBS lineup is :911: in broadcast form.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Hell yeah

https://twitter.com/batkoanarkhiya/status/1186570990484119552?s=19

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Bobby Deluxe posted:

If you watch it as a sci fi show without the expectations that Trek brings, it's OK. Unfortunately most people just go 'ugh discovery, I heard it's bad' without even trying it.

So Discovery is the Jeremy Corbyn of Sci-Fi

Luxury Tent Carpet
Feb 13, 2005

I hunted the Orphan of Kos and all I got was this stupid t-shirt

An actual hero

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Good to see Mr Chips is a comrade

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Bobby Deluxe posted:

I'm partial to the dyslexie font myself. I mean the theory behind it helping with dyslexia has apparently been sturdily refuted, but I just like the way it looks.

I was doing some observations in the back of a school laboratory a few years ago and noticed one particular teacher's slides were incredibly readable from the back compared to most. I went and spoke to him when he had a break about what he was doing as I couldn't put my finger on it: he was using comic sans and also using dark grey font on a 'post it note yellow' background. He said he'd worked with a dyslexic kid in one of his classes to find a format that was most readable to him and that was the result.

Of course there are various forms of dyslexia and one solution doesn't work for all.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

I don’t get why people are voting for this as “best of a bad bunch” or whatever
Surely no deal is impossible now because of letwin and it’ll be GE and new talks/vote on this vs rescind a50?
I’m so lost in this posh pissing match labyrinth

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

OwlFancier posted:

Calibri font of the proletariat.

Calibri is the default font for e-mails and documents at my workplace, checks out.

Ziggy Tzardust
Apr 7, 2006

Bape Culture posted:

Surely no deal is impossible now because of letwin and it’ll be GE and new talks/vote on this vs rescind a50?

Because MP in leave constituencies are scared of the brexit party and fear they could lose their seat if they delay brexit when a plan has been offered

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you
I dunno, I’m inclined to believe it if a civil servant is saying the whole thing is bullshit and the preparations are pure theatre intended to scare MPs while at the same time doing very little to address actual risks.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Bape Culture posted:

No Deal is absolutely not impossible. If the Tories get their withdrawal agreement through and then do nothing, we crash out at the end of next year

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you
The whole damned thing needs voting down, not just the programme motion. It is a disastrous piece of legislation, and the more the legal academics look over it, the worse it gets.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

^^^ Cart before horse. Voting down the programme motion gives the analysts more time to find the traps. Once those are exposed, there is a much greater chance of defeating the bill entire.

Bape Culture posted:

Letwin doesn't block No Deal. If this bill is passed unamended we will exit the transition period with no deal on 31/12/20. And it will not be passed amended because it won't be voted on, meaning that we leave with no deal and no transition period either next Thursday or on 31/1/20, depending on whether the EU accept the extension request.

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

Jedit posted:

^^^ Cart before horse. Voting down the programme motion gives the analysts more time to find the traps. Once those are exposed, there is a much greater chance of defeating the bill.

Not sure about that, if the already identified ones aren’t sufficient to sway the Labour Brexiters, nothing is.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Pesmerga posted:

The whole damned thing needs voting down, not just the programme motion. It is a disastrous piece of legislation, and the more the legal academics look over it, the worse it gets.
That seems to be the point of all the theatrics. The more the public sphere is flooded with headlines about Boris' signature or Comic Sans, the fewer there are pointing out that it still has the worst parts of May's WD and the finer technical points of why we're hosed if it becomes law.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Pleased to see Trekchat has proceeded throughout the day.

Disco isn't super Trek and it trades too heavily on "Wow it's Spock! Look, you know Spock!" and so forth, but honestly I enjoy it enough. I stan Tilly extremely, too, and I'll watch basically for as long as she's in the show.

Oh I guess Parliament is happening lol guess poo poo's about to pop off in an hour or so.

HauntedRobot
Jun 22, 2002

an excellent mod
a simple map to my heart
now give me tilt shift

Ms Adequate posted:

Pleased to see Trekchat has proceeded throughout the day.

Disco isn't super Trek and it trades too heavily on "Wow it's Spock! Look, you know Spock!" and so forth, but honestly I enjoy it enough. I stan Tilly extremely, too, and I'll watch basically for as long as she's in the show.

Oh I guess Parliament is happening lol guess poo poo's about to pop off in an hour or so.

Theres a scene where they're running through the ship wearing tops with "DISCO" in shiny letters.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Tarnop posted:

No Deal is absolutely not impossible. If the Tories get their withdrawal agreement through and then do nothing, we crash out at the end of next year

yeah I'm sure that the Parliament which has passed multiple bills to stop No Deal would sit and do nothing and let No Deal just happen next time

deletebeepbeepbeep
Nov 12, 2008
Do they vote on the programme tonight before they vote on the Brexit deal - what comes first?

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Pershing posted:

:same: If I'm buying Star Trek, I want to buy Star Trek. Also I think the lack of a regular TV slot hurt Discovery...there's no way in hell I was gonna sign up for CBS' boutique streaming service just to take a flyer on this. Especially given that the remainder of the CBS lineup is :911: in broadcast form.

This is the UKMT, it's on Netflix here :sun: (also of course :filez:)

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Oh I thought the amendment meant running the clock down didn’t result in default no deal. Doh

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Pesmerga posted:

Not sure about that, if the already identified ones aren’t sufficient to sway the Labour Brexiters, nothing is.

Most of the rebels seem to be talking about how they want to vote for a second reading so that the deal can be amended and improved, because it looks bad if they're just outright rejecting it. The trouble is Johnson absolutely has momentum with this sudden popup deal, especially in the media, which is why the brakes need putting on it

Once the excitement gets deflated and the story moves onto an analysis of what's in the bill (or at least moves away from PLUCKY BORIS FIGHTS TO GET BREXIT DONE AT THE 11TH HOUR THAT'S A WW1 REFERENCE BTW ARE COUNTRY), it makes it easier for those MPs who are being pressured (by the tories and the whole media traitor narrative) to step away from it since they don't have to make a snap decision. It doesn't guarantee anything but it sure makes it easier to fight once the ticking clock scenario is eliminated

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

HauntedRobot posted:

Theres a scene where they're running through the ship wearing tops with "DISCO" in shiny letters.

True, that has incredible Dr. Crusher/Troi workout energy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Julio Cruz posted:

yeah I'm sure that the Parliament which has passed multiple bills to stop No Deal would sit and do nothing and let No Deal just happen next time

If the Withdrawal Agreement passes then we move from EU membership into the transition period. Once that happens there is literally nothing Parliament can do to stop No Deal, especially not if the Tories win a majority on the back of Getting Brexit Done.