Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS

FizFashizzle posted:

Kasich would have had some ridiculous food related scandal that would have torpedo'd him because this would have been in the beforetimes.

He would have eaten pizza with a fork and lost the support of his base.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

The shy trump voter thing was a myth, Nate went into this in detail a long time ago.

Can someone give me a handy guide on when to believe Nate Silver and when to ignore him?

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

The shy trump voter thing was a myth, Nate went into this in detail a long time ago.

Trump has made people more open about their odious opinions, not less.

And his word salad and obvious bullshitting give anyone who is still timid cover to support him. "Oh he's just saying that to rile up liberals, he doesn't really mean it" and such.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Nocturtle posted:

What's the Democrats plan for dealing with admin officials who have ignored their congressional subpoena? This article lays out what can be done but I haven't seen any indication that the Democrats are taking any action beyond the civil lawsuit route. The articles also includes a list of everyone that ignored one so far:

Why even issue the subpoenas if they're not going to enforce them?

All of this is also adding to the broader sense that the rule of law has been seriously weakened under Trump. If congress can't take these people to task now for their clearly illegal contempt then there's no reason to think they're going to be able to constrain the admin from taking other increasingly illegal actions.

the civil lawsuit route is just fine (at the moment), it's just slow (at the moment)

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

Brony Car posted:

Can someone give me a handy guide on when to believe Nate Silver and when to ignore him?

You believe him when he says things you want to be true and ignore him when he says things you don’t, obviously.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

TyrantWD posted:

No he wouldn't. Any other Republican, with the exception of Ted Cruz, would have beaten Hillary and probably won the popular vote by a decent margin. My precinct in 2016 went 94% for Hillary, if they had Kasich or Rubio, it would probably have been a 65-35 or even 60-40.

this is not at all true

trump won because he consolidated all republicans behind him, even the ones who hated him, but his saying the racist part out loud and his being seen as a "moderate" made him attractive to the voters who swung the three key states in his favor, who all don't really like the republican economic policy he repudiated (during the campaign, and probably his biggest mistake was embracing it once elected)

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

Brony Car posted:

Believe him when he analyzes numbers, don’t listen to him when he acts like a pundit

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

ColonelMuttonchops posted:

Whats the neighborhood like? That looks like a law thats tailor made to arrest black kids.

e:Okay yeah, that is what it is.

To piggy back on that, in VA what is the for profit prison system like?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

https://twitter.com/benyc/status/1186690494694383622

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Brony Car posted:

When it’s about numbers and stats believe him. When it’s about political opinions keep a critical eye.

ewiley
Jul 9, 2003

More trash for the trash fire
e: you know what this was a dumb post and i'm deleting it.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

https://twitter.com/mkraju/status/1186694376988315648

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

I wish Twitter would provide some context on who House members are, because there are 435 of them and I don’t know “Lynch” from Adam.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

oh snap

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

Gatts posted:

To piggy back on that, in VA what is the for profit prison system like?

We only have 1 private prison in Virginia, the Lawrenceville Correctional Center. I think its run by GEO Group and it only has a capacity of 1,536. But as a whole VA has 38 state prisons that can hold up to 28,799 prisoners at a time so we still have a hefty prison population. From what I recall, we only have about 4 percent of our prison population in private prisons compared to the grossness of Montana which has like 38 percent of their incarcerated in private prisons. Hawaii is in 2nd place for lovely prisons with a total of 28 percent.

IIRC correctly it is only a minimum-security facility because the VA Gov doesn't trust privatization with higher security penitentiaries. It is still lovely, but there is a big push to get rid of it entirely spearheaded by the Attorney General as well as getting rid of cash bail and Herring is coming out for legalization too and retroactive decriminalization for nonviolent offenders. so some movement is happening.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

friendbot2000 posted:

https://twitter.com/carterforva/status/1186488260916330496

Just your friendly reminder that Lee Carter is running for re-election and the election is Nov. 5th. Any help you can give in the homestretch goes a long way because the GOP wants his scalp, in particular, this year and are pumping shittons of money into this race.

Edit:

https://twitter.com/carterforva/status/1186367804540444672

https://twitter.com/carterforva/status/1186486471462735873

I need more of this, just inject it right into my veins

I sent him 50 this morning

ryde
Sep 9, 2011

God I love young girls

Brony Car posted:

I'm not sure about his political stance but his election analysis leading up to Hillary's loss was pretty spot on, so I generally trust his numbers and interpretations more than most.

Reminder that he was the only poll aggregator giving Trump a serious chance of winning because he accounted for the chance that state-level polling had correlated error. Which he got tons of poo poo for by other aggregators and people on this forum. And then ended up being correct.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

https://twitter.com/byrdinator/status/1186693129623212037

translated, i think this means "sondland's gonna come back and decide just how committed to perjuring himself to protect trump he's feeling"

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

from the initial leaks, it sounds like simpson is right here:

https://twitter.com/TheViewFromLL2/status/1186696094895480833

we know that Sondland testified with the White House's approval and probably lied a lot (or lied about how he "no longer recalls" whatever), and it sounds like Taylor is giving them what they need to show that that poo poo was lies

e: damnit ew

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Ogmius815 posted:

I wish Twitter would provide some context on who House members are, because there are 435 of them and I don’t know “Lynch” from Adam.

https://twitter.com/kombiz/status/1186691316979306507

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

ryde posted:

I'm not sure about his political stance but his election analysis leading up to Hillary's loss was pretty spot on, so I generally trust his numbers and interpretations more than most.

Which makes it so stupid how he caught more poo poo than anyone else for being “wrong” about the election. He gave Trump something like a 35% chance of winning and specifically explained that his path to victory was flipping those Midwest states by narrow margins.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I hope so, but why should I not believe the same people who voted for him despite having a negative opinion once won’t do it again? If I remember right, Nate’s version has been “there was an average size polling miss” and his guess on what the miss means is still just a guess.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Still not saying his state or first name, but there's a gender, that's a start.

Seriously dudes, just say their first name if not also their state and party (R-NY or whatever is not that hard really!)

edit: okay I figured out he's from MA because of constituents in Boston. Still, come on man.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Which makes it so stupid how he caught more poo poo than anyone else for being “wrong” about the election. He gave Trump something like a 35% chance of winning and specifically explained that his path to victory was flipping those Midwest states by narrow margins.

It’s simple. The media doesn’t understand probability, much like his goon critics.

yronic heroism fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Oct 22, 2019

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Brony Car posted:

If he's ONLY talking about what the polls are saying, and only that, he's probably correct.

The main reason he's so hated is that he puts basically no stock in the rabid Bernie supporter's* narrative that tacking hard left is the key to victory now, everywhere, and forever.

*I plan to vote for Bernie in the primary, you know the types I'm talking about.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
To elaborate a little bit, civil lawsuits about congressional subpoenas may accelerate significantly if/when we get a couple circuit opinions going "lol no" on the administration's various arguments, whereupon lower judges / the DC circuit can just point to previous recent precedent and wrap things up in maybe even days rather than weeks or months. This would be pretty cool.

On the other hand, the longer the delay the worse civil court enforcement becomes as we inch closer to the election. That's not really a concern right now, but it will be in like February or March if courts still aren't rubber stamping subpoenas.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

https://twitter.com/CBSNews/status/1186696935287209985

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

GreyjoyBastard posted:

To elaborate a little bit, civil lawsuits about congressional subpoenas may accelerate significantly if/when we get a couple circuit opinions going "lol no" on the administration's various arguments, whereupon lower judges / the DC circuit can just point to previous recent precedent and wrap things up in maybe even days rather than weeks or months. This would be pretty cool.

On the other hand, the longer the delay the worse civil court enforcement becomes as we inch closer to the election. That's not really a concern right now, but it will be in like February or March if courts still aren't rubber stamping subpoenas.

i think part of the calculus here is that all the dominos are falling without the subpoenas and they've got republicans on the ropes, unable to settle on a coherent narrative, so why waste a lot of time trying to get documents you don't need? and if you're tied up in litigation over those, it becomes harder to move forward because, supposedly, you need those documents/testimony.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Nate is Twitter Nostradamus.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

sondland perjury confirmed

https://twitter.com/woodruffbets/status/1186699669994389506

sondland is a relatively rich guy who isn't a diehard trumpist (he seems to have just bought his way to an ambassadorship because he wanted one, he was a jeb! guy) so putting the screws to him may produce results

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/goodbillionaire/status/1186414385599782912?s=21

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

evilweasel posted:

https://twitter.com/byrdinator/status/1186693129623212037

translated, i think this means "sondland's gonna come back and decide just how committed to perjuring himself to protect trump he's feeling"

Contemporaneous notes are a game changer right? Sounds like Lynch throughly covered his rear end here.

I would say that you'd think Sondland and the WH would have known that someone like Lynch would have notes, but they are incompetent morons who likely assume everyone else is as incompetent as they are.

ryde
Sep 9, 2011

God I love young girls

Literally that scene from Silicon Valley.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Isn’t this from a while back?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

https://twitter.com/kyledcheney/status/1186699197006921728

lol "god you think that guy was damaging, have you seen the other witnesses?

"that's the defense you're going with? really?"

"oh would you look at the time, gotta run"

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Shifty Pony posted:

Contemporaneous notes are a game changer right? Sounds like Lynch throughly covered his rear end here.

I would say that you'd think Sondland and the WH would have known that someone like Lynch would have notes, but they are incompetent morons who likely assume everyone else is as incompetent as they are.

sondland disregarded white house instructions not to testify, likely because as a Big Titan of Industry he thought he could lie his way out of trouble

oops

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Flip Yr Wig posted:

Eh, health care polling is extremely sensitive to how it's phrased.

Yes, but polls like this are pretty good evidence of that effect in both directions. Whenever people talk about healthcare polling being sensitive to phrasing, they almost universally mean that people start to oppose single payer once you spell it out for them. Polling like this indicates what should have been pretty obvious: people love their healthcare plans not because those plans are good, but because they don't understand them.

None of this is news, though. Good healthcare policies should be backed because they're good policies, and then those policies should be marketed and defended until you have the polling numbers that you need.

syntaxrigger
Jul 7, 2011

Actually you owe me 6! But who's countin?

:getin: :unsmigghh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cervix-A-Lot
Sep 29, 2006
Cheeeeesy
Twitter needs to ban Trump.