Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

The Glumslinger posted:

I assume it was about Trump looking for Mulvaney replacements, with leading candidates being Kellyane Conway and Mnuchin

yep

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

https://twitter.com/emmakinery/status/1186703053912727558?s=21

A substitute link

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

https://twitter.com/mateagold/status/1186714228712976391

Not only was there Quid Pro Quo, part of the Quid Pro Quo was Ukraine making a public direction of the fact that it was indeed Quid Pro Quo.

These people are so loving stupid.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug
I can picture Conway goose-stepping into the White House with full SS regalia, custom contacts to make her pupils look like swastikas, and a poo poo-eating grin from the thought of the absolute power she’s about to gain.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
https://twitter.com/JordanUhl/status/1186700338453241857

https://twitter.com/ashleyfeinberg/status/1186712749524606978

https://twitter.com/derekwillis/status/1186713165284990976

https://twitter.com/oliver_drk/status/1186367470187233280

ZobarStyl
Oct 24, 2005

This isn't a war, it's a moider.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

conway would be smart enough to just make angry sounds and not admit all the crimes. mnchin who the gently caress knows.
Conway's shtick of saying literally nothing of value ran out of steam years ago and won't pay out any dividends in the environment of impeachment. It barely worked with a friendly press, now there's no amount of dimestore whataboutism that can save Trump.

Meatball posted:

Is this a cannon or a trebuchet? Maybe one of those giant acme slingshots....
It's just a cheap woodchipper feeding into an old furnace in the Trump Tower basement. Trump would never part with what little money he has for such an extravagance. All the gilded poo poo is for public consumption only, it's nothing but particle board behind the scenes.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
https://twitter.com/PhilipRucker/status/1186718249200898048

:lol: :fuckoff:

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

I still want to know who it is because every possible answer is really funny

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

The fact that all he can do is replace incompetent henchman with more incompetent henchmen is amazing

No one with any sanity left wants anything to do with him, even with the prospect of becoming one of the most powerful people in Washington

Amazing

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

At this point, I'm just waiting for the Republicans to come out and say "Look, this is about winning 2020. Winning here is all that matters, and it doesn't matter how you win as long as you win."

Because that's what they honestly believe.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

KillHour posted:

At this point, I'm just waiting for the Republicans to come out and say "Look, this is about winning 2020. Winning here is all that matters, and it doesn't matter how you win as long as you win."

Because that's what they honestly believe.

That's why they support Trump

He won when they weren't supposed to be able to win. That's it.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

i mean gently caress them but more dirt is always funny.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

this is going to send trump into loving orbit

Ershalim
Sep 22, 2008
Clever Betty

KillHour posted:

It's been a nonstop deluge of poo poo, so I can't be 100% sure, but didn't someone literally say this was the case? Like, "we can't stop gerrymandering because if we do the democrats can win?" Like, that was there explicit reasoning for doing it, and also the supreme court said that it was okay? Am I making that up?

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009

Chief of staff Kellyanne Conway is way too good to be true

She'll probably to kill george Conway to demonstrate how bad she wants it

cochise
Sep 11, 2011

theflyingorc posted:

It's 2019 so the answer is Kellyanne Conway wrote it.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Ershalim posted:

It's been a nonstop deluge of poo poo, so I can't be 100% sure, but didn't someone literally say this was the case? Like, "we can't stop gerrymandering because if we do the democrats can win?" Like, that was there explicit reasoning for doing it, and also the supreme court said that it was okay? Am I making that up?

That is the literal argument for political gerrymandering - that to the victors go the spoils and if you want free elections, you should have elected people who wouldn't take them away from you.

But I mean the literal crimes. "It's okay to accept help from Russia as long as we win. It's okay to break the emoluments clause as long as we win. It's okay to trade Ukrainian military aid for dirt on Biden as long as it helps us win."

At some point, someone is going to say that and I honestly don't think it is going to change much.

Xyven
Jun 4, 2005

Check to induce a ban

theflyingorc posted:

I'm a shocking twist we find out that John Barron has joined the #resistance

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Adam Schiff is the resistance author

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

KillHour posted:

That is the literal argument for political gerrymandering - that to the victors go the spoils and if you want free elections, you should have elected people who wouldn't take them away from you.

Case in point Mulvaney saying last week, “elections have consequences”

Ershalim
Sep 22, 2008
Clever Betty

KillHour posted:

But I mean the literal crimes. "It's okay to accept help from Russia as long as we win. It's okay to break the emoluments clause as long as we win. It's okay to trade Ukrainian military aid for dirt on Biden as long as it helps us win."

At some point, someone is going to say that and I honestly don't think it is going to change much.

Right, but wasn't the context for that that the state had specifically targeted black people as the focus of the gerrymander because they happened to vote democrats more than republicans? As far as I know, that is a crime. As for Ukraine, the GOP Fox party line is that it was good to do that. Most of them just don't think it's illegal because they don't have a concept of sovereignty that extends beyond absolute monarchy, but of the ones who do, they think it's a good, smart thing to do. (Since winning is the only thing that matters to them)

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
https://twitter.com/ShimonPro/status/1186724038292455425

ewiley
Jul 9, 2003

More trash for the trash fire

Zwabu posted:

This reinforces what I've always felt is the real value (to the GOP) and influence of Fox News.

I've always felt it's not so much that it converts a bunch of weak minded people into being right wingers, although I don't doubt that it does some of that.

The real value is keeping people on Team Red, by virtue of constantly reinforcing their identity as a member of that tribe, as well as providing an endless source of talking points about why every alternative is worse than Team Red.

The talking points thing should not be underestimated. Even if the talking point is stupid or doesn't stand up to the slightest scrutiny, it provides the person speaking it with a "reason" for their continued membership in Team Red. It doesn't have to be a good reason. Team Red members are happy to say "well you have your opinions (and facts) and I have mine" and that's plenty good enough for them regardless if their talking points and positions are garbage.

Then Team Red members can repeat the talking points back and forth to each other to reinforce tribe identity and membership.

In the time before Fox, Rush and now the Right Wing Internet, sustained bad performance or criminality from a party and its president would result in people both not turning out, moving onto the political sidelines, and even changing their political identity entirely sometimes or at least becoming open to considering it. Now Fox makes it easier for people to stay dug in on their side and never considering moving onto the sidelines or taking another look at other teams.

Yes this is exactly it and I've seen it first hand, the talking points are in-group language that signifies membership. It really has nothing to do with the talking points being valid, it's just the shared rubric.

Not to be all /r/atheism but this is also how religions work, a shared set of beliefs that defy reason and binds together a group. It's not necessarily negative, you can have a shared group of shelter volunteers or leftists who share values and form a group. But it's much more pronounced in conservative and fascist circles though because both actively suppress free thought in favor of groupthink.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
https://twitter.com/shaneharris/status/1186723189323374592

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

Ershalim posted:

Right, but wasn't the context for that that the state had specifically targeted black people as the focus of the gerrymander because they happened to vote democrats more than republicans? As far as I know, that is a crime. As for Ukraine, the GOP Fox party line is that it was good to do that. Most of them just don't think it's illegal because they don't have a concept of sovereignty that extends beyond absolute monarchy, but of the ones who do, they think it's a good, smart thing to do. (Since winning is the only thing that matters to them)

There was both racial and political gerrymandering. The racial kind is illegal, so if you draw a map with race as a predominating factor, it’ll be thrown out. But if you’re halfway competent you won’t mention race in your discussions as the NC legislature did, instead you’ll do what they did after they got slapped for that and just talk about wanting “Democrats” to lose. Because scotus says that’s fine

Sneaky Wombat
Jan 9, 2010

Holy loving poo poo.

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003

Republicans were right, there was no quid pro quo.

Just 100% transparent bribery

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Sneaky Wombat posted:

Holy loving poo poo.

Yeeeeeeeah loving RIP shitheads

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

Paradoxish posted:

Yes, but polls like this are pretty good evidence of that effect in both directions. Whenever people talk about healthcare polling being sensitive to phrasing, they almost universally mean that people start to oppose single payer once you spell it out for them. Polling like this indicates what should have been pretty obvious: people love their healthcare plans not because those plans are good, but because they don't understand them.

None of this is news, though. Good healthcare policies should be backed because they're good policies, and then those policies should be marketed and defended until you have the polling numbers that you need.

To be clear, I wasn't using that to say that single payer is actually unpopular, just that it's not exactly surprising that you can frame a poll in a way that makes employer insurance unpopular. I don't know if that actually marks a shift in public opinion or not, or if it just represents that poll.

Arturo Ui
Apr 14, 2005

Forums Bosch Expert
so this guy is the current ambassador...odds Trump obstructs some more justice and fires him?

cochise
Sep 11, 2011

You know every time we get a dunk like this I get hopeful. Really want this to actually bring the whole house crashing down this time.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

Good thing they already tested “Actually, it was a legal quid pro quo”

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
How long until we see a picture of someone handing Trump a burlap sack with a dollar sign on it?

Arturo Ui posted:

so this guy is the current ambassador...odds Trump obstructs some more justice and fires him?

I don't see how that would obstruct justice seeing as he still has all his knowledge and firing him would remove State's ostensible ability to direct his conduct.

ewiley
Jul 9, 2003

More trash for the trash fire
This seems ominous and also lost in the noise

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/military/pentagon-draws-plans-quick-afghanistan-withdrawal-just-case-trump-blindsides-n1069611

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

TyrantWD posted:

After Schiff's nonsense about the Russia stuff where he claimed he had seen things that were so much more than a smoking gun, I'm skeptical about any Democrats claiming they have seen/heard something extremely damaging.

You and ryde have been under a rock for few weeks, huh?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

haveblue posted:

I don't see how that would obstruct justice seeing as he still has all his knowledge and firing him would remove State's ostensible ability to direct his conduct.

they tried, he received a friendly subpoena so that he could tell them to pound sand

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

haveblue posted:

How long until we see a picture of someone handing Trump a burlap sack with a dollar sign on it?

Because firing him would be in retribution for assisting law enforcement with a goal of ensuring others do not cooperate with law enforcement?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

oxsnard posted:

Republicans were right, there was no quid pro quo.

Just 100% transparent bribery

Closer to extortion I think

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

haveblue posted:

This is basically what got Spiro Agnew to resign.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Almost Smart
Sep 14, 2001

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway. when you had sex with me and that monkey

Ershalim posted:

It brings to mind a quote from, I want say Trey Gowdy(?) in the lead up to the 2016 election where he flat-out admitted Benghazi hearing #236 was just to drag Hillary and depress her voter turnout. The ends always justify the means with these guys.