Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

:v:
Switchblade Switcharoo
I'm guessing Sondland is going to get another invitation to testify pretty quick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

the military has contingency plans for everything. they've got plans in case aliens invade. it's a good thought exercise and a way to keep junior officers busy with how to make plans

previously, there wasn't much of a need for plans in case the president of the united states decides to poo poo himself on a whim. now there is a need

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

this photo is amazing

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Nah that's business as normal, they always have contingency plans for seemingly everything under the sun. That they have to make up mad king contingency plans is pretty hosed up though, for sure.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

"i just wanted him to call me to make sure we understood each other not to avoid a paper tra..."

https://twitter.com/davidfrum/status/1186728263172923392

"oh"

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Not entirely sure how this changes things. Didn’t we already know this was the case?

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003

evilweasel posted:

they tried, he received a friendly subpoena so that he could tell them to pound sand

Right, and it's gonna be pretty hard for state to obstruct career diplomatic professionals. They ain't diving in front of a bullet for Trump.

Timmy Age 6
Jul 23, 2011

Lobster says "mrow?"

Ramrod XTreme

Almost Smart posted:

It brings to mind a quote from, I want say Trey Gowdy(?) in the lead up to the 2016 election where he flat-out admitted Benghazi hearing #236 was just to drag Hillary and depress her voter turnout. The ends always justify the means with these guys.

That was McCarthy, and his moment of honesty cost him the Speaker’s job.

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler

Is pretty telling that we now need "idiot king" plans. Surprised we did not already have them.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

"when i said that there was no "quid pro quo" what i meant was that it wasn't just this for that, it was everything for that"

https://twitter.com/fordm/status/1186727470424305664

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012

evilweasel posted:

"i just wanted him to call me to make sure we understood each other not to avoid a paper tra..."

https://twitter.com/davidfrum/status/1186728263172923392

"oh"

Ooph. Gonna be another one of ‘those’ afternoons I guess.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

https://twitter.com/davidfrum/status/1186729369781329921

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Drunk Theory posted:

Is pretty telling that we now need "idiot king" plans. Surprised we did not already have them.

The old Nixon directive is absolutely in full effect right now even though no one can admit it

Wylie
Jun 27, 2005

Ever to conquer, never to yield.

Pollyanna posted:

Not entirely sure how this changes things. Didn’t we already know this was the case?

Yes, but they were testing out a "we were just interested in making sure Ukraine was serious about cleaning up corruption in general" talking point for GOP apologists in Congress to hide behind. Predictably, even that thin cover has been blown.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

i was going to try to post damning parts of this thing but holy motherfucking poo poo it's all damning and people should read it all

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

also sondland is entirely, completely, utterly hosed

ShutteredIn
Mar 24, 2005

El Campeon Mundial del Acordeon
I feel like the "must announce the investigation in a big public spectacle way or no aid" stuff is new here, no?

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

haveblue posted:

The old Nixon directive is absolutely in full effect right now even though no one can admit it

What was the Nixon directive? "We don't care what the law says we'll disobey any nuclear launch order from Nixon"?

E: am I getting confused with the tail end of Reagan here, where the VP warned all the staff that any nuclear authorization had to go through him first?

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
Kinda hilarious that state is putting in so much work to take trump down

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

This was a test. If Ukraine agreed then I would know that they truly were corrupt but they passed with flying colors. Good bless the Ukrainian states of America

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

ShutteredIn posted:

I feel like the "must announce the investigation in a big public spectacle way or no aid" stuff is new here, no?

it was danced around a lot but this is our first confirmation that yes that's exactly what Trump wanted and exactly what he told his people to ask for

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

ShutteredIn posted:

we knew that the demand was a public statement opening the investigation for a few weeks, i believe. well, at least since last week, time is fuzzing

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

ewiley posted:

Yes this is exactly it and I've seen it first hand, the talking points are in-group language that signifies membership. It really has nothing to do with the talking points being valid, it's just the shared rubric.

Not to be all /r/atheism but this is also how religions work, a shared set of beliefs that defy reason and binds together a group. It's not necessarily negative, you can have a shared group of shelter volunteers or leftists who share values and form a group. But it's much more pronounced in conservative and fascist circles though because both actively suppress free thought in favor of groupthink.

It is also what Schrödinger's rear end in a top hat (or racist, bigot, misogynist, etc) is trying to make use of. Their initial statement is a bit of in-group language which others with their shared values will spot and amplify but which will cause out of group people to react dismissively or negatively but not so negatively that it can't be passed off as an in poor taste "joke". It is a low risk check to see whether they are in the company of "their" people.

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003

ShutteredIn posted:

Just yesterday, all but one GOP members of the house voted to censure Schiff. It's going to all happen at once if it does and really hard to pin down which bombshell is the proverbial camel back breaker

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Herstory Begins Now posted:

they're literally working harder in 2 months than the democrats have in 3 years and it's hilarious

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

evilweasel posted:

also sondland is entirely, completely, utterly hosed
He's rich and White

The worst he gets is a finger wagging and maybe one of the feistier reps yells at him.

ryde
Sep 9, 2011

God I love young girls
So one of the hilarious parts of this statement is that Trump said it wasn't quid pro quo but that the aid was contingent on a public announcement. Apparently he though that announcing that it wasn't quid pro quo made it ok.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Trump publicly poo poo on them repeatedly, just like he did with the FBI, CIA, etc.

So Trump literally did the exact opposite of Gleichschaltung because he's too much of a moron tantrum baby to even do a fascism right. Thankfully.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

sexpig by night posted:

they're literally working harder in 2 months than the democrats have in 3 years and it's hilarious

none of this comes to light without the work that democrats across the country put into retaking the house

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

luxury handset posted:

the military has contingency plans for everything. they've got plans in case aliens invade. it's a good thought exercise and a way to keep junior officers busy with how to make plans

previously, there wasn't much of a need for plans in case the president of the united states decides to poo poo himself on a whim. now there is a need

Yeah, so it's good to know the contingency they had carefully drawn up for the scenario of "President orders the US military to immediately vacate Syria so Turkey can invade" was "get in the truck, leave everything standing and in good working order, just GTFO"

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

oxsnard posted:

Just yesterday, all but one GOP members of the house voted to censure Schiff.

Speaking of which, real good timing on the House GOP's part to put their full endorsement behind Trump's corruption the day before all this comes out.

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

ryde posted:

So one of the hilarious parts of this statement is that Trump said it wasn't quid pro quo but that the aid was contingent on a public announcement. Apparently he though that announcing that it wasn't quid pro quo made it ok.

It's easy to make impeachable acts perfectly normal. Just say that they aren't impeachable acts before you describe them as impeachable acts! It's bulletproof.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

ryde posted:

He doesn't know what quid pro quo means. He just knows (dimly, after having it explained to him wearily by aides) that it's a bad thing, so whatever it is, it wasn't that.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Well he did his best to destroy the State Department, so it's not that surprising.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Data Graham posted:

Yeah, so it's good to know the contingency they had carefully drawn up for the scenario of "President orders the US military to immediately vacate Syria so Turkey can invade" was "get in the truck, leave everything standing and in good working order, just GTFO"

Actually they bombed their own facilities.

e: Also, short of averting nuclear war by presidential tantrum, having the military disobey presidential orders is uhhhh incredibly bad.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

sean10mm posted:

Actually they bombed their own facilities.

Yeah, eventually, after Russian journalists had the run of the place for like three days

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Data Graham posted:

Yeah, eventually, after Russian journalists had the run of the place for like three days

They bombed their operational hq, nothing else as far as I know.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

evilweasel posted:

"when i said that there was no "quid pro quo" what i meant was that it wasn't just this for that, it was everything for that"

https://twitter.com/fordm/status/1186727470424305664

"trump wants him to be publicly hosed" is a strong diplomatic message

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
It's not quid pro quo if you have no intention of keeping your end of the bargain

:smugdon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler

Data Graham posted:

I think that's just it. They did not have a contingency for that. So now they are putting together plans for other incredibly stupid Trump orders so they aren't as blindsided.