Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Agreed about the first one, but you might also want to reconsider painting the shoulders in your secondary color.

Contrasting shoulders is a very Space Marine thing. Plus different colors helps to make a visual distinction between your cloth and armored plate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

moths posted:

Agreed about the first one, but you might also want to reconsider painting the shoulders in your secondary color.

Contrasting shoulders is a very Space Marine thing. Plus different colors helps to make a visual distinction between your cloth and armored plate.

By secondary color, do you mean I should do the shoulder pads in a lighter blue, or in one of the other colors I picked out (lavender or bone/tan/beige)?

Legendary Ptarmigan
Sep 21, 2007

Need a light?

Max Wilco posted:

By secondary color, do you mean I should do the shoulder pads in a lighter blue, or in one of the other colors I picked out (lavender or bone/tan/beige)?

He's advocating to keep the body of the pads the same color as the armor. So in your first scheme all armor -> lavender/grey, cloth -> sea green, detailing -> gold.

If you look at the canon schemes, the other poster is pointing out that the shoulder pad bodies are colored the same as the bulk of the armor.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Legendary Ptarmigan posted:

He's advocating to keep the body of the pads the same color as the armor. So in your first scheme all armor -> lavender/grey, cloth -> sea green, detailing -> gold.

If you look at the canon schemes, the other poster is pointing out that the shoulder pad bodies are colored the same as the bulk of the armor.

Oh, okay. Sorry, I was just a little confused.

Here's the two schemes modified to keep the armor all one color.

Is the Thousand Sons blue technically considered sea green? Like I said, I got the hex color code from GW's site, so maybe it makes it look too dark.

EDIT: Here's a third version using the hex color for Ahriman Blue for the cloth to make it a bit brighter:

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Oct 20, 2019

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

This is the best one so far.

gilljoy
May 3, 2009
Cross posting from the 40k thread,

First time painting black power armour I think it looks ok if a little bit blue, but practice helps.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

gilljoy posted:

Cross posting from the 40k thread,

First time painting black power armour I think it looks ok if a little bit blue, but practice helps.

I really like this style of black.

Legendary Ptarmigan
Sep 21, 2007

Need a light?

Max Wilco posted:

EDIT: Here's a third version using the hex color for Ahriman Blue for the cloth to make it a bit brighter:

I just called it sea green since your post was on the previous page and I was responding on mobile based on what I remembered the image to look like.

I think you've arrived at a nice scheme with the image above that fits in with the established SoB Orders while being distinctly your own.

Keep in mind that you aren't 100% locked-in to painting every model this exact way. While this scheme would be repeated across basic sisters, you can use more gold (for example) on the one Sister Superior in each squad to make them stand out. Then you can experiment with slightly more color variety on your Cannoness models to make them stand out against the rest of the army, for example, maybe splashing a bit of that red color you've brought in. On another note, with Sisters in particular, you might experiment with the lilac as a hair color (either completely dyed or grey/black hair with one lilac strand).

Consider how GW uses color selection to build their iconic formations. Ultramarines use a neutral blue as their base color, contrasting it with gold (yellow) as the main secondary. Then sergeants incorporate red, veterans and lieutenants have both the red and some white on top of that, while command units often have all those colors plus lots more gold, so they stand out in front of the line squads.

Legendary Ptarmigan fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Oct 21, 2019

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
For sisters I think as long as you give them all the same armour that you should go hog wild on their robes. Give them dour armour and bright robes if you want. You can just say they're from a wealthy world where ostentation is the norm and honours the Emperor's great work, so they're somewhat divergent in their perception of what is and is not pious.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Having some grand designs in my head to build a miniature building/painting table. What features do ya'll like about your setups and what are some things you wish you had?

gilljoy
May 3, 2009

TTerrible posted:

I really like this style of black.

Thanks, it's going to be fun when trying to paint an army of these guys using it

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Yeast posted:

This is the best one so far.
I think that's the one I'm going to go with.

I tried replicating the scheme in Soulstorm, and it...sort of came out okay?

I just sort of eyeballed the color in the Army Painter. I took screenshots of most all the units, but the results are kind of mixed. (DoW is probably not the ideal way to test a paint scheme.)

Legendary Ptarmigan posted:

I just called it sea green since your post was on the previous page and I was responding on mobile based on what I remembered the image to look like.

I think you've arrived at a nice scheme with the image above that fits in with the established SoB Orders while being distinctly your own.

Keep in mind that you aren't 100% locked-in to painting every model this exact way. While this scheme would be repeated across basic sisters, you can use more gold (for example) on the one Sister Superior in each squad to make them stand out. Then you can experiment with slightly more color variety on your Cannoness models to make them stand out against the rest of the army, for example, maybe splashing a bit of that red color you've brought in. On another note, with Sisters in particular, you might experiment with the lilac as a hair color (either completely dyed or grey/black hair with one lilac strand).

Consider how GW uses color selection to build their iconic formations. Ultramarines use a neutral blue as their base color, contrasting it with gold (yellow) as the main secondary. Then sergeants incorporate red, veterans and lieutenants have both the red and some white on top of that, while command units often have all those colors plus lots more gold, so they stand out in front of the line squads.
Yeah, I'm not really certain yet about how to denote sergeants, lieutenants, etc. with that scheme. The differently colored hair-strand sounds like a cool idea; I just don't know how well I'll be able to execute it (in terms of painting fine details that accurately).

JBP posted:

For sisters I think as long as you give them all the same armour that you should go hog wild on their robes. Give them dour armour and bright robes if you want. You can just say they're from a wealthy world where ostentation is the norm and honours the Emperor's great work, so they're somewhat divergent in their perception of what is and is not pious.

I could change/alternate the colors of the robes to denote rank. One design I saw while browsing had the robes painted with a checker-pattern, which looked nice, but I've read that doing checkers are difficult (if I could get good at doing it, though, then maybe I could feel confident in painting Lamenters).

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
Hey guys. I've been working on my Reaver Titan and I need some tips on how to paint the canal wall that he is standing on so that it looks like weathered concrete.

I intend to pour water effects onto the base so I want to make the wall look realistically aged but having never worked with cork or attempted weathered concrete before I figured it would be best to ask for your opinions/ideas.

Thanks

Seldom Posts
Jul 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer

jadebullet posted:

Hey guys. I've been working on my Reaver Titan and I need some tips on how to paint the canal wall that he is standing on so that it looks like weathered concrete.

I intend to pour water effects onto the base so I want to make the wall look realistically aged but having never worked with cork or attempted weathered concrete before I figured it would be best to ask for your opinions/ideas.

Thanks

Using dry pigments is a good and easy way to get weathering effects. I'm still learning them, but there are plenty of tutorials around.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

I have a basing question. I’m painting Mars Attacks The miniatures game miniatures and wanna do some basing on them. The models however are part of the bases and the game takes place in a city/town so the bases should be less sand and grass as typical bases are done and more road asphalt and concrete sidewalks. Any suggestions on how to get that look on miniatures like this?

I’ve heard finely ground cork pressed down tightly can achieve it it I can’t find any examples. Also is there any place to get like newspapers or discarded drink cups for litter bits? I found skulls, bones, and broken bricks which are perfect but I’d like some litter to give the bases that ruined town feel you get in movies and tv shows a lot

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh
How about some fine texture paint, and then just paint over it with some road markings? You could also carve some cracks into the texture too.

Vallejo has some texture paint for asphalt, though it looks like it's probably a little too coarse for 28mm figures. They have finer stuff too though, and it's a lot cheaper than GW stuff.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

I didn’t even know about the texture paints. These look like they’d be perfect for what I want to do

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
I would look into model railroad scenicing stuff. They make good road material for making layouts.

As for papers and other litter, I had an old model railroad guide to freight yards book that suggested cutting out squares from a coffee filter to make random littered paper.

The Sisko
Jan 9, 2009

"Whenever there's injustice, wrongs to be righted, innocents to be defended, The Sisko will be there, delivering ass-whooppings."
Anyone have good recommendations on a nice metallic gold airbrush paint?

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Dr. VooDoo posted:

I didn’t even know about the texture paints. These look like they’d be perfect for what I want to do

I did a whole bunch of highway bases with Vallejo Black Lava ways back.

To get road texture, it works best if you dab it on, wait for it to firm up just a little bit, then mash it flat. Drybrush with a grey for road surface, paint any kind of lane markers etc, and wash black if you're feeling fancy.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Dr. VooDoo posted:

Also is there any place to get like newspapers or discarded drink cups for litter bits? I found skulls, bones, and broken bricks which are perfect but I’d like some litter to give the bases that ruined town feel you get in movies and tv shows a lot

I've been looking for decent urban litter type bits for basing myself (although I'm currently doing a bunch of Malifaux models, so I've been looking ideally for more sort of victorian type stuff than coffee cups) and I have found very little. Kromlech do some bottles which might be okay, and TTcombat do some resin bits (I'm eyeing up their "camping accessories" set, which does contain some 6 packs of cans which might be good for you. And also a guitar which I am not sure I would ever have a reasonable use for but kind of want anyway). They also do some "Back Alley Accessories" sets, with some neat looking urban base features (pizza boxes and lost teddy bears for example) but a lot of the bits seem too big to use for basing (Wheelie bins and discarded mattresses for example). If they did one set that was all the small bits I'd have picked one up in a flash. All the TTcombat bits are in their "city streets" range on their website.

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
Time to trot out these again:

The road surface is made from 2mm cork sheet that i bought as a big roll at the home improvement store, this makes it super easy to do damaged sections as well.

Maybe one day i'll have the space to build a full table :unsmith:

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

The Sisko posted:

Vallejo Model Air Gold.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer
Are there certain precautions/procedures for airbrushing metallic paints that I should be aware of? No plans in the immediate future, but it'd be nice to know.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

TheBigAristotle posted:

Are there certain precautions/procedures for airbrushing metallic paints that I should be aware of? No plans in the immediate future, but it'd be nice to know.

No, treat them as any other acrylics. I would advise against spraying the alcohol based liquid metals from vallejo.

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug

TheBigAristotle posted:

Wear a mask because you're spraying metal particulate into the air.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Two Beans posted:

Wear a mask because you're spraying metal particulate into the air.

You should be wearing a mask already.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

The Sisko posted:

Any gold + Vallejo flow improver.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
I tried out a Darren Latham/Eavy Metal's way of painting warm white today. I'm quite pleased with it. It's a lot more fun than my old method of layering up, and with Corax white it's a lot more forgiving as well.

I also discovered that Nuln Oil over yellow is not entirely awful.

Thanqol
Feb 15, 2012

because our character has the 'poet' trait, this update shall be told in the format of a rap battle.
Goddamn it I hate that I love these because now I'm going to have to do the entire faction

BioTech
Feb 5, 2007
...drinking myself to sleep again...

Dr. VooDoo posted:

I have a basing question. I’m painting Mars Attacks The miniatures game miniatures and wanna do some basing on them. The models however are part of the bases and the game takes place in a city/town so the bases should be less sand and grass as typical bases are done and more road asphalt and concrete sidewalks. Any suggestions on how to get that look on miniatures like this?

I’ve heard finely ground cork pressed down tightly can achieve it it I can’t find any examples. Also is there any place to get like newspapers or discarded drink cups for litter bits? I found skulls, bones, and broken bricks which are perfect but I’d like some litter to give the bases that ruined town feel you get in movies and tv shows a lot

Can't find a picture, but I used black sandpaper. Available at every DIY store, just make sure to pick the right grain for your scale.
Apparently lots of train model hobbyists use this method too.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

Max Wilco posted:

I got the hex color code from GW's site, so maybe it makes it look too dark.

Hold on, where'd you get that hex code? I've looked on GW's website and couldn't find anything usable, so clearly you might have found that which I seek.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Furism posted:

Hold on, where'd you get that hex code? I've looked on GW's website and couldn't find anything usable, so clearly you might have found that which I seek.

So the way I did was sort of wonky, and maybe not entirely accurate. I went to the page showing all the paint colors, and took a screenshot of the page with the colors I wanted on the screen. From there, I pasted it into Photoshop and used the eyedropper tool on the 'paint swatch' to figure out the hex code from the color picker. If you don't have Photoshop, you can sort of do it with Microsoft Paint (it won't give you a hex code, but it give you some data to help nail it down). GIMP might also let you ID the hex code.

Alternatively, there's this list of colors with hex codes on Wikipedia, but I don't know how complete or accurate it is.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/276702-painter-resource-new-gw-paint-line-hex-codes/

There is also this post on Bolter and Chainsword that lists the hex codes for GW paints. No idea if its been updated with the newest ones though.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Cooked Auto posted:

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/276702-painter-resource-new-gw-paint-line-hex-codes/

There is also this post on Bolter and Chainsword that lists the hex codes for GW paints. No idea if its been updated with the newest ones though.

This post says the hex codes are taken from the swatch images on the GW site and I'm pretty sure some of those are wildly wrong.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

TTerrible posted:

This post says the hex codes are taken from the swatch images on the GW site and I'm pretty sure some of those are wildly wrong.

Fair enough, I just remembered having it in my bookmarks in this case. v:shobon:v

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
It's a cool thing to have I just remember someone being mightily betrayed by some swatches :v:

TTerrible fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Oct 23, 2019

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Ignite Memories posted:

Yo i am thinking maybe i should get into this because this looks like fun modelling

The game is super fun as well, even if I do say so myself.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3873025

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

Max Wilco posted:

So the way I did was sort of wonky, and maybe not entirely accurate. I went to the page showing all the paint colors, and took a screenshot of the page with the colors I wanted on the screen. From there, I pasted it into Photoshop and used the eyedropper tool on the 'paint swatch' to figure out the hex code from the color picker. If you don't have Photoshop, you can sort of do it with Microsoft Paint (it won't give you a hex code, but it give you some data to help nail it down). GIMP might also let you ID the hex code.

Alternatively, there's this list of colors with hex codes on Wikipedia, but I don't know how complete or accurate it is.

Oh yeah, I used the same process (except I was using XnView), actually did the same for Vallejo too, for the website I'm working on. I find that it's okay but not perfectly accurate (some colors between brands are exact matches but they don't show up as the same HEX when you use that method, and that means I have to change a lot of the hundreds of the paints I catalogued). I was wondering if you had found a file/reference somewhere with the actual Hex codes (or RGB) published by GW.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

masam
May 27, 2010
Crossposting the first mini ive painted in literal decades!

Edit: Submit is not preview

masam fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Oct 23, 2019