Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god

Tubgoat posted:

I'd love to play Black Devotion again, but Red will have to do.

Black devotion looks like it'll still be pretty sweet though. I wasn't really playing in that Standard, so what is it missing from pre RTR?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
lol card gamers

https://twitter.com/yoman_5/status/1186705629337006080?s=19

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

InterrupterJones posted:

Black devotion looks like it'll still be pretty sweet though. I wasn't really playing in that Standard, so what is it missing from pre RTR?
Geralf's Messenger and, to a SLIGHTLY lesser extent, Gravecrawler. They were my fuckin' homies, along with Falkenrath Aristocrat. Unless I'm mixing up my standard metas and I should be harvesting a set Nightveil Specter right now.

I've been trying to make Black Devo/Zombies work in modern but it... just doesn't feel right.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Reasons Pioneer is bad:
Path to Exile
Dismember
Extirpate
Surgiical Extraction
Nature's Claim
Ancient Grudge
Lightning Helix

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Toshimo posted:

Reasons Pioneer is far superior to Modern:
Path to Exile
Dismember
Extirpate
Surgiical Extraction
Nature's Claim
Ancient Grudge
Lightning Helix

FTFY, also completely agreed.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

mandatory lesbian posted:

Isn't veil of summer just a straight upgrade to autumn?

Oh, THAT'S why I keep calling it Autumn's Veil - it's an actual card that does the same thing but tremendously less pushed.

Cactrot posted:

It's kinda hilarious how different the reaction to Pioneer and Frontier has been.

Obviously this is in part because one is an actual format with tournament support and not a grift to sell unused copies of Jace, Vryn's Prodigy.

i mean it is a grift to sell unused copies of old standard cards

but it will also is an easy way to qualify for PTs and grind MTGO tickets, unlike with Frontier

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, Liliveil, 'cause they won't reprint her.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Toshimo posted:

Reasons Pioneer is bad:
Path to Exile
Dismember
Extirpate
Surgical Extraction
Nature's Claim
Ancient Grudge
Lightning Helix
Mana Leak
Inquisition to Kozilek
Force of Negation

This game’s kinda fun actually

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

I'm actually disappointed in all of you for forgetting that in Pioneer, you can play a new and improved version of MURDERGOATS.

That deck has access to Havoc Devil, the Eldraine Sac Package, and TWO Aristocrats.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Count Bleck posted:

I'm actually disappointed in all of you for forgetting that in Pioneer, you can play a new and improved version of MURDERGOATS.

That deck has access to Havoc Devil, the Eldraine Sac Package, and TWO Aristocrats.

C-Euro posted:

You, a simpleton: rebuild MonoB Devotion
Me, a genius: rebuild Murdergoats

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

No Wave posted:

Pioneer does seem like the format a lot of people want modern to be (not just cost but power level). I'm pretty optimistic about the format.

I am too, honestly. Modern's honestly just become Legacy Lite at this point in terms of power level and cost and while that's not necessarily a bad thing (I do play cEDH after all), it's really restrictive for my easily-bored ADHD rear end who likes to switch decks up pretty frequently. Pioneer seems to have a power level more enjoyable than what Standard has to offer with the non-rotation of Modern which makes it far, far more appealing for me to buy into. In fact, I could pretty much build a mono-blue Devotion deck right now-- all I'd really need is 3 more Master of Waves.

Y'know, that, and Friday nights off.

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

Oh man, mono black and mono blue devotion were actually really dope decks, just kind of too powerful for their formats. I'm having too much fun playing five color niv-mizzet in modern right now, apart from the urza bullshit modern is cool.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
Noob back in the motherfucking thread. What is Pioneer? Did my mom's 1991-1995 cards just gain a bunch of value?

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

InterrupterJones posted:

Tubgoat posted:

Geralf's Messenger and, to a SLIGHTLY lesser extent, Gravecrawler. They were my fuckin' homies, along with Falkenrath Aristocrat. Unless I'm mixing up my standard metas and I should be harvesting a set Nightveil Specter right now.

You have to be mixing up your Standard metas, yes, because by definition RTR/Theros standard did not include anything pre-RTR. Buy those Nightveils.

You might be thinking of some Modern deck.

Perry Mason Jar posted:

Noob back in the motherfucking thread. What is Pioneer? Did my mom's 1991-1995 cards just gain a bunch of value?

Your mom's MTG cards from 1991 are almost certainly some kind of one-of-a-kind collector's items, yes.

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Perry Mason Jar posted:

They're probably still valuable if they're from way back then. Otherwise, Pioneer is from Return to Ravnica onward. It's Wizards' new official format between Modern and Standard.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Perry Mason Jar posted:

pioneer starts with a 2012 set, but those cards might actually genuinely be valuable anyway

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Perry Mason Jar posted:

Pioneer is brand new format that was just announced.

https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/news/announcing-pioneer-format-2019-10-21

And most likely yes your old cards have value.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
I would love to play Pioneer in MTGA but it seems to be a format that exists to both deal with Modern's bloat as well as give MTGO a reason to live.

And I'm not going back to that hell program

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Perry Mason Jar posted:

new format that got announced yesterday that is Return to Ravnica forwards, the 5 Onslaught/Khan's fetchlands are banned

your mom's cards still bad, sorry

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

pioneer is bad because every card that lets you win in an interesting way is out of the format, so it’s just going to be upgunned Ramunap Red beating upgunned Esper Control and losing to upgunned Jund and Sultai midrange, forever, world without end, amen.

As soon as Energy or Ascendancy or any other remotely interesting deck threatens the Aggro/Midrange/Control treadmill it will be banned without mercy

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Perry Mason Jar posted:

Does Giant Growth cost G or 1G? This is important.

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

pioneer is bad because every card that lets you win in an interesting way is out of the format, so it’s just going to be upgunned Ramunap Red beating upgunned Esper Control and losing to upgunned Jund and Sultai midrange, forever, world without end, amen.

As soon as Energy or Ascendancy or any other remotely interesting deck threatens the Aggro/Midrange/Control treadmill it will be banned without mercy

Jeskai Ascendancy is not going to be banned. (You can quote me on this one) Even with Emry, the cards that make it busted are pre RTR, as with most other decks.

I mean sure, once the format irons out and becomes more competitive, the most efficient decks that win the easiest will rise to the top. However, the format's beginning is going to be fun, and I think there's even a strong possibility that it stays interesting. Instead of just being modern or standard, it's going to be all the past standard formats with new interactions/answers that they didn't have the benefit of having at their time.

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

I have no problem with modern becoming the new legacy, sort of like a legacy without a reserve list. It's always fun to play, you just gotta know what you've signed up for.

Pioneer won't have 8th and 9th edition and the horizons crap, so it will be like the new extended format, just without the rotation. Could be fun.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

InterrupterJones posted:

Jeskai Ascendancy is not going to be banned. (You can quote me on this one) Even with Emry, the cards that make it busted are pre RTR, as with most other decks.

Mox Amber's in format.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Haha, jokes on him. I'm jamming maze's end and field of the dead into that deck. Twice the jank twice the fun!

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Bonus posted:

I have no problem with modern becoming the new legacy, sort of like a legacy without a reserve list. It's always fun to play, you just gotta know what you've signed up for.

Pioneer won't have 8th and 9th edition and the horizons crap, so it will be like the new extended format, just without the rotation. Could be fun.

Yeah, I'll still play Modern but having Pioneer around means I can take some of my more fringe Modern ideas and just port them over to a less-expensive format, and save my Modern reps for the decks that I actually know and enjoy. I just hope the stores around here will have Pioneer events without cutting into the Modern events they already have.

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

I just wonder how long until they print Pioneer Horizons lol

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Bonus posted:

It might already be in development. Nobody knows but WOTC. I would assume this format was talked about and approved long ago.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Bonus posted:

This might be the ~Mystery Booster~

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Reusing horizon would just confuse people.

Perhaps Pioneering Frontiers?

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

Your favorite draft themes since 2012, GO!

ALLIES

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Perry Mason Jar posted:

Did my mom's 1991-1995 cards just gain a bunch of value?

I checked those cards out last night, there's nothing of value in there.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Tibalt posted:

ALLIES

MM2015 Spirits/Soulshift.

It was so loving good and by far the most broken draft deck I've ever had.

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Tibalt posted:

ALLIES

Miracles!

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
The Pioneer Masters set symbol better be a covered wagon or I'm going to be pissed.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Ate My Balls Redux posted:

I checked those cards out last night, there's nothing of value in there.
:golfclap:

*Darrell-Hammond-as-Sean-Connery-voice* Well done, laddy!

Bonus posted:

legacy without a reserve list.
There is absolutely a reserve list, it is any card that is too expensive for SCG and CFB to allow a reprint of.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Tubgoat posted:

There is absolutely a reserve list, it is any card that is too expensive for SCG and CFB to allow a reprint of.

For every Underground Sea that Star City Games sells, they sell thousands of other cards. They would rather sell fifty $10 Underground Seas reprinted in Vintage Masters than have a single $500 Underground Sea from Revised sit in a case forever.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Tubgoat posted:

Imagine my shock that you of all people are spouting off about something you know nothing about.

SCG is against the reserved list and always has been. They tried to get rid of it a while ago when WotC decided to double down on it instead. I can't imagine CFB being any different for the same reason. Turns out you make more money when you can sell cards. Shocking, I know.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

InterrupterJones posted:

It's the first deck I'm brewing right now:
Avaya
Liliana, the Last Hope
Gray Merchant
Pack Rat
Gifted Aetherborn
Whip of Erebos
Deathrite Shaman?
Liliana, Deaths Majesty
Madness cards to pitch to rats?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Don't worry, Wizards will absolutely refuse to reprint the expensive Pioneer cards in sufficient quantity, and then in 2026 will poo poo out a direct-to-Pioneer supplemental set that ruins the metagame, refuse to ban the problem cards from it, and start pushing Historic as a paper format.