Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
I am not looking forward to figuring out how to clear the scarecrow challenges again, especially getting the fire one without wicker man.

Say...

In Hitman 1 there were an array of challenges of various sorts that were only available on the top difficulty. Do you think it would be appealing to bring some challenges like those back to give folks a reason to play Master in hitman 2?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.
As long as they don't include anything in Bangkok, sure.

Seriously, gently caress that level on master, let alone professional. I earned my classics challenges, I took my lumps, don't hurt me anymore.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Discendo Vox posted:

In Hitman 1 there were an array of challenges of various sorts that were only available on the top difficulty. Do you think it would be appealing to bring some challenges like those back to give folks a reason to play Master in hitman 2?
The top difficulty in Hitman 1 was tedious horseshit and the way they handled it in 2 is infinitely better, so no :v:

Also, weren't they all just the same challenges as the normal difficulty anyway?

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

i care, i'm listening, i can help you without giving any advice
Pillbug

Pilchenstein posted:

The top difficulty in Hitman 1 was tedious horseshit and the way they handled it in 2 is infinitely better, so no :v:

Also, weren't they all just the same challenges as the normal difficulty anyway?

It was a selection of challenges from the normal mode and if I remember right, you had to do almost all of them to get level 20 professional mastery. It was rather irritating.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
Frankly we've got so much developed game knowledge for hitman at this point (plus so many powerful weapons) I'm not sure what the challenges could be - nor can I decide what the rewards should be either. Master in 2 doesn't seem to change nearly as much in the levels.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Oct 22, 2019

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy
I would certainly love to see the version of this game that might have been, where you have to do all the stupid "shoot 400 cameras/stand on 90 plinths as a knight/dump 100 bodies in the ocean" challenges a second time on master difficulty to unlock items, yes indeed.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

Discendo Vox posted:

Frankly we've got so much developed game knowledge for hitman at this point (plus so many powerful weapons) I'm not sure what the challenges could be - nor can I decide what the rewards should be either. Master in 2 doesn't seem to change nearly as much in the levels.

master in 1 was added post-release so they had good data on the best places to add guards, cameras, etc

master in 2 is slapped on at release so all the cheese/easy strats that work in regular mode work in master too

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy

where the red fern gropes posted:

master in 1 was added post-release so they had good data on the best places to add guards, cameras, etc

master in 2 is slapped on at release so all the cheese/easy strats that work in regular mode work in master too
It's true that adding the higher difficulty much later meant they could deliberately gently caress up the most popular strategies for each map but it's not as if there weren't cheese/easy methods that still worked on all the maps once people had a few minutes to adjust to the changes :v:

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

Now that the phone exists maybe I’ll do Master SASO on the new maps

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Dr_0ctag0n posted:

Also: when did they fix the shoot people in the legs and punch them in the face trick? I can't get it to work without being spotted anymore :(
It still works, except when it doesn't. I think it relates somehow to how close you are and the angle of the NPC to 47 when you shoot. It always produced an Unconscious Witness even if they didn't see you, so it's been fiddly from the very start. I wouldn't rely on it, especially now that things like the Kalmer/Sieker exist.

Pilchenstein posted:

Also in those patch notes: dragging a sedated/poisoned body making it illegal if found is here to stay :v:
No one remembers this because no one ever used the sedatives in Hitman 2016, but this was exactly the way it worked there. A sedated body did not count against SA but would if it had been moved in any way. The difference is that in 2016 a sedated body did count against SA the moment someone who found the body examined it or tried to wake the person, making it basically useless as anything but a trap or lure, and then it was still useless because you only had the Sedative Vial. With the Kalmer and (upcoming) Sedative Syringe, you can actually create body lures by distracting an NPC to the spot you want them and then sedating them in place.

Though note that if the person you're body luring is a target, it doesn't really matter what they see. For instance, another target's dead body works in this case because only a target sees it, and he dies before he can tell anyone else. Body luring is some high-tier 4D chess poo poo but I suspect it can probably used for some sick nasty Rube Goldberg kills if you can figure it out. A contract on Haven where you kill someone under coconuts so that the person who comes to investigate them can be bonked by them, restoring SA, or something.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

updates here, server isnt up yet but here's a new thumbs.dat because otherwise you get intro cutscenes. boo!

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1hSVyKt4OExopWAQ1a2CDKVxSwh_mFyme

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Emetic phone when?

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

The_Doctor posted:

Emetic phone when?
Think big. Emetic suit.

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

i care, i'm listening, i can help you without giving any advice
Pillbug
Emetic suit is just that 47 pooped his pants.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Chief Savage Man posted:

Emetic suit is just that 47 pooped his pants.

People do always comment that he smells...
:thunk:

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

A totally illegal outfit the makes people in the vicinity throw up.

Or, a totally illegal suit the that makes people in the vicinity die of a heart attack accident, but to unlock it for free use on any map you must SA some place it in that thing.

Edit: Finally! A wetsuit for all maps!
The Halloween escalation is amusing.

SelenicMartian fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Oct 22, 2019

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

SelenicMartian posted:

A totally illegal outfit the makes people in the vicinity throw up.

Or, a totally illegal suit the that makes people in the vicinity die of a heart attack accident, but to unlock it for free use on any map you must SA some place it in that thing.

Edit: Finally! A wetsuit for all maps!
The Halloween escalation is amusing.

Level 2 took me forever and then 3 is like "alright sorry, here's some catharsis"

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I did Synchronized Drowning on Haven recently and started to feel bad about Vetrova since it seemed like she was victimized by Tyson, but of course then she reveals that her escape will wipe out all hospital databases as well and she doesn't give a gently caress and well, here comes a drowning!

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
Are there any Hitman targets that don't 100% have it coming? I felt a little bad for killing Caruso's assistant in Italy by dressing as her boyfriend and for for dosing Sean Rose with LSD but they're all still seemingly terrible people.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
I'm sure that's by design. Mr. Hitman's profession is not an ethical one; playing as a sociopath who murders decent people for money would quickly push me away from the game, and I know it's the same for others as well. Putting players up against real jerks lets you revel in the weird black comedy of the mechanics while still having someone to root for.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Jordan Cross is far from a good person but also seems fairly innocent compared to the other monsters and scum that are targets.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Zedd posted:

Jordan Cross is far from a good person but also seems fairly innocent compared to the other monsters and scum that are targets.

He's a murderer who killed his girlfriend and then went right back to his rocker lifestyle.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

47 is also extremely expensive so anyone who he's pointed at is usually difficult to kill, and as such is almost always a terrible person.

Like if you're going to kill your ex-girlfriend or w/e you can get a cutrate hitman for like 10k instead of spending half a million dollars on 47

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

He's a murderer who killed his girlfriend and then went right back to his rocker lifestyle.

If you didnt want to kill him over the "daddy got me my favorite vegan birthday cake just to taunt me" hissyfit alone then hoo boy

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

WAR
CRIMES

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

Wolfsheim posted:

If you didnt want to kill him over the "daddy got me my favorite vegan birthday cake just to taunt me" hissyfit alone then hoo boy

yes, i too, am a sociopath, and completely agree with this statement

Moon Shrimp
Sep 7, 2013
FYI if you have the game on ps4 the expansion is on sale for $14 until the end of the month.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

That's almost innocent compared to "Literally the Illuminati" "Human bioweapon researcher" "banker" or "Not Sin Rostro"

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Zedd posted:

That's almost innocent compared to "Literally the Illuminati" "Human bioweapon researcher" "banker" or "Not Sin Rostro"

It's a less impactful form of murder but no less contemptible. He's absolutely going to kill again and, at some point, will be in control of his Illuminati father's assets.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

HenryEx posted:

yes, i too, am a sociopath, and completely agree with this statement

:geno: the contract was just.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Wolfsheim posted:

:geno: the contract was just.

I love that moment.

"We're being used!"
"So?"

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

47 is an extremely likeable protagonist considering he's like a witcher but for rich people

Captain Cool
Oct 23, 2004

This is a song about messin' with people who've been messin' with you
Some of the alternate missions have targets who are less evil. The Icon has a director who takes too long to wrap a shoot, and in Marrakesh you're enforcing an NDA. Unless I missed something about them.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
I get home, all jazzed to play the new escalation on Hawke's Bay, and the server is crapping the bed. Cool cool cool. Can't connect, and a buncha folk on Twitter are saying the same.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Captain Cool posted:

Some of the alternate missions have targets who are less evil. The Icon has a director who takes too long to wrap a shoot, and in Marrakesh you're enforcing an NDA. Unless I missed something about them.

Have you heard that director rant on? He's not being killed for any major crime, but he's a huge loathsome piece of poo poo.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

rotinaj posted:

I get home, all jazzed to play the new escalation on Hawke's Bay, and the server is crapping the bed. Cool cool cool. Can't connect, and a buncha folk on Twitter are saying the same.

I went to play a few hours ago and got a "offline for maintenance" message, is that still going on or are the servers just down?

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Jerusalem posted:

I went to play a few hours ago and got a "offline for maintenance" message, is that still going on or are the servers just down?

They're just down. Folks on Twitter are tagging IOI folk but no word from above yet. I'm watching BigMooney06 empty Miami for the moment, but I wanna do some spooky Halloween hitmanning.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

FWIW It's 1:13 in Denmark atm.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
This actually does bring to mind a question. Has IOI announced what will happen when/if they shut down the servers for this game? Does the game just die? Isn’t an enormous amount of the game locked away behind the need to be in Online Mode?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.
I seem to recall the young ex-Interpol woman in Freedom Fighters not really having done anything, like, bad, other than...being a cop, of course. And, you know, joining a militia gunning for the same sort of evil shitheads 47 goes after. The other three committed enough heinous poo poo that they've got it coming, even if Mr. Meyers was the most genteel of the lot, and one could argue that Parvati's upbringing in poverty somewhat justified her piracy days.

edit: Also, is it just me, or is the game crashing a LOT for anybody else? I've had two on the escalation in 30 minutes of playing, and the last crash I had before that was, like, six months ago.

double edit: Make that three times.

Aoi fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Oct 23, 2019