Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah
Let me shill the Ikko OH10 for the 700th time. :)

But really I love them. I also use the Moondrop KXXS a ton and love them as well. The Ikko are more FUN, but the Moondrop I can just listen to forever, like they're incredibly non fatiguing. Both have dynamic drivers (the Ikko also has a BA tho) so they shouldn't sound WEIRD for you coming from a dynamic headphone.

Both should be within range from you, they're like $180 in the US.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Help Im Alive posted:

Does anyone know what would be some good IEMs anywhere up to around £100-200? (I'm not interested in wireless)

I've been using these RHA MA750 headphones for the past couple years and I love how durable they are (and they have three year warranty which has come in handy) but they're dying again and I thought it'd be fun to upgrade to something else since I've been using the same model for so long. I use them all day listening to music/podcasts at work

I rather like My Tin T3.
https://drop.com/buy/tin-audio-t3-iem
https://www.amazon.com/Linsoul-Earphones-CNC-machined-Detachable-Gold-Plated/dp/B07NQ8H77N

They're gonna sound WAY different than your RHA's though. Could be a good thing, could be a bad thing depending on your preferences.
I don't think I'd waste the money on a sub $200 pair of IEM's again honestly. Unless there's a smokin' deal on some pro gear...

Speaking of Tin T3,
I found the oem for their foam tips: Xcessor
https://www.amazon.com/Xcessor-Earphone-Earbuds-Replacement-Headphones/dp/B072BZ5QPC/ref=sr_1_9

Astro Ambulance
Dec 25, 2008

Hey all, I need recommendations for some new headphones and I know very little about this subject.

1) They need to be comfortable to wear for a few hours at a time, so probably not earbuds.
2) Wireless is preferred
3) Need to be compatible with Nintendo Switch
4) Need to have little to no latency
5) Not ludicrously expensive.

Thanks in advance.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Budget?

Also the switch can’t use BT headphones unless you buy a dongle.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I rather like My Tin T3.
https://drop.com/buy/tin-audio-t3-iem
https://www.amazon.com/Linsoul-Earphones-CNC-machined-Detachable-Gold-Plated/dp/B07NQ8H77N

They're gonna sound WAY different than your RHA's though. Could be a good thing, could be a bad thing depending on your preferences.
I don't think I'd waste the money on a sub $200 pair of IEM's again honestly. Unless there's a smokin' deal on some pro gear...

Speaking of Tin T3,
I found the oem for their foam tips: Xcessor
https://www.amazon.com/Xcessor-Earphone-Earbuds-Replacement-Headphones/dp/B072BZ5QPC/ref=sr_1_9

Seconding the recommendation for the Tin T3. Humble name, humble price, fantastic unit.

Astro Ambulance
Dec 25, 2008

MarcusSA posted:

Budget?

Also the switch can’t use BT headphones unless you buy a dongle.

I have no idea how much headphones cost but I don't want to spend more than like, $50 unless absolutely necessary.
I don't mind using a dongle.

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

Astro Ambulance posted:

I have no idea how much headphones cost but I don't want to spend more than like, $50 unless absolutely necessary.

You couldn't get a decent set and dongle for $50 unfortunately. And you're going to have SOME latency (40-100ms) no matter what. The dongles alone are $39... You COULD do a dongle and like, Anker soundbud slims for maybe $60-$65 total. But you'd have (much) better sound quality with like Tin T2s wired for like $30-40.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

ddogflex posted:

You couldn't get a decent set and dongle for $50 unfortunately. And you're going to have SOME latency (40-100ms) no matter what. The dongles alone are $39... You COULD do a dongle and like, Anker soundbud slims for maybe $60-$65 total. But you'd have (much) better sound quality with like Tin T2s wired for like $30-40.

Pretty sure this is the dongle with the lowest latency.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/humanthings/genki-bluetooth-audio-for-the-nintendo-switch

There’s these as well but eh

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.th...o-switch-gaming

You really won’t be able to realistically do wireless to the switch with that budget but most BT headphones come with a 3.5mm jack that you can use as well.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Astro Ambulance posted:

You're not gonna hit your requirements going wireless for that budget, but you can get something pretty great wired.

Ethereal
Mar 8, 2003
Any recommendations for a decent, soft padded case for a set of IEMs that are using the TRN BT20 bluetooth adapter? It'd be nice to have something relatively small but still protective to keep things in.

Just purchased the new KZ ZSX and paired them with the TRN BT20S bluetooth adapter. So far its a fantastic combination! Excellent separation, v-shaped sound signature and pretty decent isolation (though not as good as the Shure 215's they replaced)

Gumbercules
Jan 12, 2004

These aren't my lamps. These have feet.
Alright, soliciting some advice, i've read back through this thread to narrow down some choices. My ears are getting consistently irritated by the earphones I've used for a while (SE215s) as well as some other earphones I briefly tried, so i'm making the switch to over-ear headphones. I'm buying two pairs - one for work (shared workspace) and one for home (better quality).

For work I am looking most closely at the Sony XM3. Are there any major cons or is there anything else I should consider carefully? Is there anything significantly cheaper that's going to give me the same experience - for example, an equivalent wired with good isolation or ANC?

For home, I've narrowed it down to the HE4xx vs DT 770 Pro, they're about the same price range (at least with the current massdrop sale). I use these for general listening with some occasional competitive gaming.

Gumbercules fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Oct 17, 2019

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Well these new Audezes were announced recently https://www.audeze.com/collections/audeze-headphones/products/lcd-1

Full sized wired planar magnetics that only weigh 250g. Somehow.

Four hundred American smackaroos.

Sacred Cow
Aug 13, 2007

DancingShade posted:

Well these new Audezes were announced recently https://www.audeze.com/collections/audeze-headphones/products/lcd-1

Full sized wired planar magnetics that only weigh 250g. Somehow.

Four hundred American smackaroos.

Just watched metal571's review on this and now I'm glad I held off buying a Mobius. I've been looking for a step up from my HE-4XX and the LCD2C's are a bit more then I feel like paying right now.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Gumbercules posted:

For home, I've narrowed it down to the HE4xx vs DT 770 Pro, they're about the same price range (at least with the current massdrop sale). I use these for general listening with some occasional competitive gaming.

That's sort of like saying I narrowed down my car choices to a Miata and a Range Rover. They're both great, but extremely different. Have you had a chance to listen to them? If you don't have any other headphones and you can do open back at home, the 4xx is a better choice. I'd recommend an amp though.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Gumbercules posted:

For work I am looking most closely at the Sony XM3. Are there any major cons or is there anything else I should consider carefully? Is there anything significantly cheaper that's going to give me the same experience - for example, an equivalent wired with good isolation or ANC?

The Sony's are basically the best set of over-ear, ANC headphones on the market right now. Noise cancelling capability equal to Bose with better sound quality.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

grack posted:

The Sony's are basically the best set of over-ear, ANC headphones on the market right now. Noise cancelling capability equal to Bose with better sound quality.

I’d agree except for comfort.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Bose juuuuuuust stopped making the QC25, which is wired, has good noise cancelling, and can still be found new on ebay for about half what the XM3 costs. The various Bose models lack EQ and a bunch of advanced settings that the Sonys have

Gumbercules
Jan 12, 2004

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

That's sort of like saying I narrowed down my car choices to a Miata and a Range Rover. They're both great, but extremely different. Have you had a chance to listen to them? If you don't have any other headphones and you can do open back at home, the 4xx is a better choice. I'd recommend an amp though.

Hah, yeah I figured these may be a bit too different to fairly compare; I am intrigued by the HE4XX, and I can definitely get away with an open back. However, I also was swayed by the glowing reviews of the BD in that price range, it muddled my decision making a bit.

I'm swinging by a Guitar Center to try out the 770 (I think they have them?), if I like them and end up hating the 4XX for some reason I'll know what to do. I think I'll also go double-check the XM3 for comfort, I think I can find that one in a store as well.

Thanks all!

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Another thing to consider is the the Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro. Allegedly sounds similar to the DT 770, but critically has a detachable cable.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I've noticed that the battery life on my Beatsx earbuds has started to decline after a couple of years. I would like to get another set of wireless IEMs with the wire joining them and would there be anything to consider over just another pair of Beatsx? I quite like them overall.

I saw RHA has wireless (with th connecting wire in over ear or not) and I had a set of wired ones a while back and liked them.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

priznat posted:

I've noticed that the battery life on my Beatsx earbuds has started to decline after a couple of years. I would like to get another set of wireless IEMs with the wire joining them and would there be anything to consider over just another pair of Beatsx? I quite like them overall.

I saw RHA has wireless (with th connecting wire in over ear or not) and I had a set of wired ones a while back and liked them.

IMO for $65-70 the beatsx are the best for that price.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

MarcusSA posted:

IMO for $65-70 the beatsx are the best for that price.

Yeah agreed, they show up on sale here for about that fairly regularly so I'll wait for that to snag another pair.

Gumbercules
Jan 12, 2004

Oh man, am I glad I went to try out those headphones

The XM3, and in fact all of the noise cancelling headphones, gave me a noticeable pressure headache immediately. I remembered that this was the case the last time I tried ANC headphones, like 5+ years ago, but I thought maybe things had changed; they had not, I don't think I'll ever get used to that.

Meanwhile, the DT 770 sounded excellent, but the open-back 990s right next to them sounded extraordinarily better, the difference was stark. However, I did find the 770 very comfortable, so since ANC is not an option I think i'm going to pick that for my work set.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
I think the 770 is still the king of passive isolation. Before most of them switched to IEMS, every working drummer I knew owned a pair.

fadderman
Feb 3, 2008
dyslectic lurker
My Tin T3 foam tips are fraying and needs replacing, do anyone know where to get new tips?

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

fadderman posted:

My Tin T3 foam tips are fraying and needs replacing, do anyone know where to get new tips?

Replacement originals? No idea. If you want to try comply foam tips instead then size 400 is what you're after.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
I'm hoping this is the right place to ask because all the amazon reviews and headphone reviews I've read are utter trash.

What's a good set of earbuds or headphones for the gym? I mostly do lifting and my previous pair was tossed because I got tired of them falling out all the time.

I'm looking at a budget of about 50$ and would be open to stuff a bit more expensive if its worth it. I prefer wired to wireless but, it doesn't really matter.

fadderman
Feb 3, 2008
dyslectic lurker

DancingShade posted:

Replacement originals? No idea. If you want to try comply foam tips instead then size 400 is what you're after.

Thanks will do

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Azuth0667 posted:

I'm hoping this is the right place to ask because all the amazon reviews and headphone reviews I've read are utter trash.

What's a good set of earbuds or headphones for the gym? I mostly do lifting and my previous pair was tossed because I got tired of them falling out all the time.

I'm looking at a budget of about 50$ and would be open to stuff a bit more expensive if its worth it. I prefer wired to wireless but, it doesn't really matter.

Anker Soundbuds Curve sounds decent and are sweatproof.

Oysters Autobio
Mar 13, 2017
For someone who wants to do their own research into some wireless bluetooth IEMs (never having owned a pair), and with that really helpful Headphones Buying guy from the Head-Fi forum seemingly down, can anyone recommend some blogs or websites that do a comparison across the different wireless options out there?

I'm not super picky about sound quality, I've been using some fairly cheap headphones for awhile but now I finally want to get wireless IEMs for the comfort factor for listening to music and podcasts on an android phone or my laptop and finally one that can withstand going to the gym as well. Are there any models that have a detachable lanyard to wear at the gym, but can be unattached for just commuting?

I'm not sure of my budget yet except for maybe high-end would be $150, but it would be flexible depending on the pair. I'm not sure yet if I want IEMs with any over the ear hooks or lanyards (or whatever those are called), I guess I'm a little anxious about the possibility of them falling out of my ear.

Anyways, any guides or webpages that are a good start would be helpful.

Oysters Autobio fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Oct 20, 2019

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Azuth0667 posted:

Costco has the Plantronics Backbeat Fit for $50, which is a heck of a good deal. They’re Bluetooth but I’ve come to appreciate that in a gym/running/commuting by public transit/walking around in lab while my phone’s plugged in set of headphones.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Can I get a nice recommendation for a passive noise cancelling headphones that's comfortable (for reference the HD 280 is basically a huge no for me), not wireless, has decent mids and costs under 100 dollars?

I'm not a basshead. I just need something that is comfortable for very extended periods and has clear mids/vocals, and can attenuate the incredible amount of noise that my neighborhood produces. I checked the m30x and m50x but some people report they either have too much pressure or are very v-shaped and poor vocals.

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

My work has banned headphones for safety reasons but I think I can use the out of ear bone conducting ones without issue. Is Aftershokz the way to go? I had a pair before and they were fine but broke apart after about 3 months of use.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
If it's safety reasons I wouldn't be wearing any non work related audio device as a matter of course. Not hearing something critical because "lol it's not technically a headphone" is going to have the same outcome.

Sorry to be a killjoy but I really advise against it. Put yourself in the position of someone writing up an incident report looking for someone to blame.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Clark Nova posted:

Bose juuuuuuust stopped making the QC25, which is wired, has good noise cancelling, and can still be found new on ebay for about half what the XM3 costs. The various Bose models lack EQ and a bunch of advanced settings that the Sonys have
I just bought 3 and intend to fly with them til I die. gently caress wireless and proprietary lipos

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

DancingShade posted:

If it's safety reasons I wouldn't be wearing any non work related audio device as a matter of course. Not hearing something critical because "lol it's not technically a headphone" is going to have the same outcome.

Sorry to be a killjoy but I really advise against it. Put yourself in the position of someone writing up an incident report looking for someone to blame.

I agree, but I thought the purpose of bone conducting headphones were to allow you to hear what’s going on in your surroundings. We have certain jobs in the building that I can understand, driving fork lifts and working on pretty large machines, but I sit stationary in a chair all day. Still, I see your point, best not to chance it.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Costco has the Plantronics Backbeat Fit for $50, which is a heck of a good deal. They’re Bluetooth but I’ve come to appreciate that in a gym/running/commuting by public transit/walking around in lab while my phone’s plugged in set of headphones.

Clark Nova posted:

Anker Soundbuds Curve sounds decent and are sweatproof.

Thanks for the recommendations!

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Elentor posted:

Can I get a nice recommendation for a passive noise cancelling headphones that's comfortable (for reference the HD 280 is basically a huge no for me), not wireless, has decent mids and costs under 100 dollars?

I'm not a basshead. I just need something that is comfortable for very extended periods and has clear mids/vocals, and can attenuate the incredible amount of noise that my neighborhood produces. I checked the m30x and m50x but some people report they either have too much pressure or are very v-shaped and poor vocals.

I ended up buying a used beyerdynamics dt-770 for 1/3 the retail price here, which ends up at around the same price as a m40x.

Seller says he bought in germany and only used once which I really don't believe. Hopefully it's in decent condition.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Blon BL-03

FFFFFFFFFFFFF

Buy these iems. They are legit giant killers or at least giants. I rate them with 200-500 dollar sets for $38 bux. You will need a cable but drat. drat!!!

mind blown.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

redeyes posted:

Blon BL-03

FFFFFFFFFFFFF

Buy these iems. They are legit giant killers or at least giants. I rate them with 200-500 dollar sets for $38 bux. You will need a cable but drat. drat!!!

mind blown.

These look great but every review mentions that the tips suck lol.