Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
I vaguely remember the 1980 election, but not very well. I also remember Challenger. But in general, I didnt pay much attention to the news as a kid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Bush's Iraq ultimatum happened over spring break 2003 in Texas public school and was less than a week after pokemon Ruby and Sapphire came out. I'll never forget that. Especially because 9/11 is my birthday and I got a gameboy advance for my present in 2001.

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Oct 22, 2019

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!
I'd say my awakening to politics was with the 9/11 attacks, the news coverage was unlike anything I'd ever seen before. Constantly, on all tv channels, "oh we're so sorry' 'oh this is terrible' 'unforgivable', for weeks, for something that happened in a country far away that I was only vaguely familiar with.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I have an extremely dim memory of the Challenger explosion. I'm not sure how much of that memory is actually still from 1986, though. The next "world event" I remember is probably the fall of the Soviet Union.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Dance Officer posted:

I'd say my awakening to politics was with the 9/11 attacks, the news coverage was unlike anything I'd ever seen before. Constantly, on all tv channels, "oh we're so sorry' 'oh this is terrible' 'unforgivable', for weeks, for something that happened in a country far away that I was only vaguely familiar with.

This was the first time I started reading more than just the funny papers in the newspaper and boy was the news crazy

Who doesn't remember this gem of stellar reporting and hard-nosed fact checking:

the whole country was so psyched up to bunker bust that poo poo

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Squalid posted:

This was the first time I started reading more than just the funny papers in the newspaper and boy was the news crazy

Who doesn't remember this gem of stellar reporting and hard-nosed fact checking:

Was that actually based on anything or just the artist's fevered imagination?

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Oh sweet the new Star Wars movies have base play sets with them!

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

Squalid posted:

I remember buying into that stupid graphic (along with all other early Bush-era propaganda) hook line and sinker. 9/11 made more sense to 16 year old me if you treated Al Qaeda as a literal Bond Villain complete with Bond Villain-esq secrete command lair.

Anyway my copy of thread favorite Shattered Sword just arrived in the mail and I can't wait to dive in.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Fangz posted:

Was that actually based on anything or just the artist's fevered imagination?

Well it had a more than passing resemblance to the Mighty Max ™ Skull Mountain playset that I would have been obsessed with around the same time, maybe it was the source of inspiration?

I think there were probably a few caves with weapons caches used by al Qaeda at the time, nothing like the fortress depicted here though. They had been bombed by the US a few times before 2001.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

I have a really vivid memory of sitting in a laundromat in South Dakota with a tv tuned to coverage of the Iran Contra hearings (so I must've been ten) and some dude walking by and announcing Ollie North should be President. That one's really stuck with me for some reason.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

First political thing I remember was the 92 election in elementary school. GT class taught us about elections. First actual giving a poo poo was the 2000 election and I had an argument with my dad about how I supported Gore because I didn’t want to go to war. This was right around when I changed my mind of pursuing the air force academy. I was a freshman in college in 2003 and my friends and I drove around getting stoned listening to bombs over baghdad on repeat before we went back to the dorm and watched the invasion.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
I have a strangely clear memory of watching workcrews exchange the sand in all the communal playgrounds after Chernobyl.
Does that count as a political memory?

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

I looked on wikipedia and it had a link to a 2001 Time magazine article in which a reporter embedded with the Northern Alliance visited some of the caves at Tora Bora immediately after they were taken:

quote:

For the first time, the infamous man-made caves of Tora Bora were thrown open. These weren't the five-star accommodations with internal hydroelectric power plants and brick-lined walls, areas to drive armored tanks and children's tricycles, and tunnels like capillaries that have captured the world's imagination. Such commodious quarters might exist higher in the White Mountains, but these were simply rough bunkers embedded deep into the mountain. They were remarkable nonetheless.

I entered my first cave by walking through a narrow 20-foot passage chiseled into a 60-degree mountain slope. The effect was of walking through a deep cavern open to the sky. I walked down the passage, stepping over two rows of sandbags that blocked my way, and came to a three-foot opening. I ducked into the mouth and dared go no further. Not even the mujahidin would follow, and several were making "boom" noises and gesturing about flying body parts. Everybody expected booby traps or mines.

After my eyes adjusted I saw a chamber of about eight square feet and high enough for a tall man to stand in. The floor was dirt and rubble, but there were signs of habitation. It contained two empty white boxes decorated with palm trees and the words, "Sherjah Dates." Scattered on the floor were a few green metal boxes of ammunition with Russian writing on them, and a canister about the size of an unexploded cluster bomb but the wrong color — red instead of yellow. Another cave next to it was about the same size and filled with ammunition, mostly bullets for Kalashnikovs and rocket-propelled grenades. Another nearby was much bigger and also filled with ammunition. Its cavern sloped up and back and seemed to lead to a passage, but nobody ventured in.

So yeah they existed, although its funny you can tell the writer feels he has to specifically point out how just how unlike the real thing is to that silly illustration. It must have been appeared in just about every publication in the USA

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

The rumor was that the CIA had built them for the Mujahideen in the 80s.

Mr Enderby
Mar 28, 2015

Squalid posted:

So yeah they existed, although its funny you can tell the writer feels he has to specifically point out how just how unlike the real thing is to that silly illustration. It must have been appeared in just about every publication in the USA

To give credit where credit is due, that particular silly illustration was in the UK Times.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
There was a whole Photoshop Phriday about that one.

Holy heck, that was the first Photoshop Phriday. Auspicious beginning.

First political memory was coming home from school and finding my mother crying because Reagan got shot. Not so much because of Reagan getting shot, but she was reliving the JFK assassination. Later on I did volunteer work for the Dukakis campaign.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Mr Enderby posted:

To give credit where credit is due, that particular silly illustration was in the UK Times.

this blog post places most of the blame for the source of the story on the UK's Independent too. It's an entertaining read about the little games of telephone newspapers play with each other's stories, but I'm not going to quote it because I don't know how reliable it is.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Phanatic posted:

Was this really a deliberate importation, with the purpose of them being used as meat-on-the-hoof (foot?)? Or just a case of the sort of accidental transplantation which is frequently the cause of species invasion?
it was a deliberate importation, i am getting this from Judith Bennett, Natives and Exotics: WWII and the Environment in the Southern Pacific

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Squalid posted:

i was already an undergraduate--i was brushing my teeth getting ready for class when someone ran down the hall saying the pentagon had been bombed--and by that point i had been thinking about politics since the 1988 election.

if you think things have never been worse since the 70s and the us is in an age of terminal decline, you may have missed the rest of the times people said that (all the times)

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Oct 23, 2019

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
nm

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Oct 23, 2019

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

edit: see you decided to drop this so I'll take it out, maybe it sounded stronger than you intended?

This is really not at all accurate. There was always a major pushback against the counter culture. I think bewbies is right that the extent to which the generational clash is played up can be overstated (a lot of the sixties and seventies counterculture was actually driven by the silent generation rather than boomers), there's no way around the fact that there was a concerted attack against the counterculture from the beginning. Most obviously there were the FBI COINTELPRO campaigns which ran from the fifties until the seventies. Besides coordinated harassment and infiltration of any group that smelled vaguely subversive to Hoover, this campaign also included large scale domestic propaganda designed to discredit counterculture organizations or movements and paint them as violent and dangerous.

COINTELPRO was so indiscriminate in its targets it spend decades attempting to subvert the National Lawyers Guild. Whether you like their leftwing sympathies or not, a dues paying group of civil rights advocates is about the least dangerous political organization I can conceive. In the light of wide scale, coordinated efforts to discredit and disrupt any organization that might be remotely considered "counterculture" in the sixties it seems untenable to claim nobody was freaking out, Hoover had a lot of authority but the FBI wasn't a one man show.

There would be a lot of violence in this period, especially in places like France and Mexico. Like pretty much all movements however the vast majority of participants were ultimately pretty moderate and inoffensive, their threats to destroy the system were mostly meant to be symbolic. My mother's most repeated story of sixties radicalism was the day all the girls in her school conspired to overthrow the dress code and all came in wearing pants, the nerve. The teachers sent them all home the first day, when they all came back in pants the next the administration threw in the towel and abolished the skirts only rule.

Squalid fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Oct 23, 2019

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

welcome to history you OLD

Nucken Futz
Oct 30, 2010

by Reene
Me OLD.

My first political memory was JFK being shot, I ran home for lunch to see both parental units looking very grim as they leaned in to the radio.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Nucken Futz posted:

Me OLD.

My first political memory was JFK being shot, I ran home for lunch to see both parental units looking very grim as they leaned in to the radio.

how did the girls your age feel about pants? pro/anti?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
Useful reminder: the median Baby Boomer turned 18 in 1974. But boomers rarely want to talk about how most of them were barely able to touch iconic stuff like the wave of 1968 college protests or how a ton of them were picking up their first real jobs in the eras of the Nixon shock and stagflation. That doesn't give them a cool story, after all.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
They absolutely love tricky dick, in my experience

Warad
Aug 10, 2019

9/11 pretty much woke my 13 year old self up as well, though I was already treading deep into WW2 at the time so when I saw the second plane hit I immediately though "kamikazes" and started wondering who could have been so desperate and angry enough to do it.

Boy was spending my high school years watching the Iraq War and reading up on the eternal shitstorm the Middle East has been since WW1 sure fun.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Siivola posted:

They were also doing a lot of drugs that, as far as I know, had not been widely available (or even existed) until then.

Also probably hella racism.

This times a hundred. The counterculture was seen largely as a plot to A) import communism and B) advance blacks to equal status with full economic freedom and liberty as the affluent white class, and particularly because of B it became a priority of the CIA to wipe it out.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
Battlefield V going where this thread loves to go: the Pacific

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LCZLabOywYU

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

First video game ever to use the pigeon guided missile sincerely.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

SeanBeansShako posted:

First video game ever to use the pigeon guided missile sincerely.

Oh god that *is* that thing isn't it

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

JcDent posted:

And I thought my game was unrealistic. :v:

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

But the fanboys don't want realism they want GRIT.

EDIT: Both sad and comical as this comes out shortly after the usual PR attempt at Halloween themed stuff.

SeanBeansShako fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Oct 23, 2019

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

JcDent posted:

I'd like to see the Navy pilot's face as some marine jumps in his F4U and takes off. At least it'll solve the age old question of katana vs. sticky bomb

Also wasn't there a lot of handwringing over some game that let you play as the Wehrmacht?

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

zoux posted:

I'd like to see the Navy pilot's face as some marine jumps in his F4U and takes off.

Beaten. This was my favorite scene. I'm actually kind of happy that they lean into this because this is peak battlefield.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Yeah I am happy to see dumb goofy poo poo in that games trailer rather than trying to pretend they care about the realism and blood letting because the game franchise is video game action fictions being mushed into the dirt.

Still pissy that EA/DICE don''t seem to have the pocket change to hunt down recreations of the BEF uniforms though to scan. If I had the money I would mail that poo poo to them to Sweden goddamn.

Speaking of dumb mil hist games, I am a bit of light weight when it comes to management stuff but I really am considering getting the latest Hearts Of Iron game because that alt history mod just seems so good to read about. But will I be ground into the dirt by a million boxes telling me I am bad?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Speaking of history video games, this is an interesting application. AC: Odyssey added a discovery mode that lets you just walk around their city models.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VRuHLCpOoF0

As long as the models are accurate based on the best knowledge we have, this seems like a really cool feature.

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners
its a video game. people play it to be entertained. it'll probably be exactly like every other entry in the battlefield franchise.

half your team will be snipers, a quarter will run around aimlessly and the last quarter will hide behind an uncontested flag to "guard" it. one guy on 1 team will have joystick/rudder controls and gently caress everyone else up from an airplane.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

zoux posted:

Speaking of history video games, this is an interesting application. AC: Odyssey added a discovery mode that lets you just walk around their city models.

They did the same thing for AC:Origins. It's a neat feature.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

vains posted:

its a video game. people play it to be entertained. it'll probably be exactly like every other entry in the battlefield franchise.

half your team will be snipers, a quarter will run around aimlessly and the last quarter will hide behind an uncontested flag to "guard" it. one guy on 1 team will have joystick/rudder controls and gently caress everyone else up from an airplane.

I think in the BF 1942 days joysticks were standard, just because flying with the mouse and keyboard was so godawful. Especially if you were into mods and had tried the Desert Combat helicopters or the VTOL feature of fighters in Galactic Conquest.

God I miss those mods.