Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Necrosaro
Dec 31, 2008

A Necrosaro Appears!
Fun Shoe
Those magic horse magic cards for charity are up for sale now on HasbroPulse.
"A donation of thirty dollars ($30.00) per card set will be made to Extra Life benefitting Seattle Children's Hospital."

https://hasbropulse.com/products/ponies-the-galloping

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.
$20 for three cards is not great but at least they tried.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
so when does rainbow sparkle sleeve go for sale on arena?

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

suicidesteve posted:

Imagine my shock that you of all people are spouting off about something you know nothing about.

SCG is against the reserved list and always has been. They tried to get rid of it a while ago when WotC decided to double down on it instead. I can't imagine CFB being any different for the same reason. Turns out you make more money when you can sell cards. Shocking, I know.

I am frankly shocked that you don't have me on ignore. :shobon:

If WotC gave even a ghost of a fraction of a poo poo, they would simply ignore the reserve list. It's not a legal contract, and it's clear by *gestures all around* all this, that faith and trust mean less to them than affordability of formats.

I'm sorry about your collection.

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Jabor posted:

Don't worry, Wizards will absolutely refuse to reprint the expensive Pioneer cards in sufficient quantity, and then in 2026 will poo poo out a direct-to-Pioneer supplemental set that ruins the metagame, refuse to ban the problem cards from it, and start pushing Historic as a paper format.

Nah, I think they are going to backfill on Arena and replace Historic with Pioneer

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
My assumption is that at this point keeping the Reserve List is because of Hasbro management and not WotC itself.

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

whydirt posted:

My assumption is that at this point keeping the Reserve List is because of Hasbro management and not WotC itself.

It really is likely fear of lawsuits. I don't know if any type of precedent has been set on this type of thing, but they probably don't want to make it

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Monospaced, like the kids do:

Play Standard

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

there would absolutely be a lawsuit if WOTC abolished the reserved list. It might not be successful but it would take up time and effort and cost money. Moreover, while they could certainly sell reserved list cards, it’s not clear that doing so would be a more profitable than whatever other product would otherwise go in that release slot, let alone sufficiently more profitable to balance the litigation costs.

Meanwhile they could create another reprint set with all ten fetches at rare and basically nothing else and boosters would fly off shelves. They won’t because they don’t want to. The reserved list is stupid and should be abolished, but WOTC is already pigheaded about reprints and that’s not likely to change soon.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

I just realized that not only does a new format like Pioneer give WOTC new reprint equity to cash in on via Masters-style products, it also increases the demand on their newly printed Standard cards. Many of them will be good enough for Pioneer but not for Modern, increasing immediate demand that formerly would have relied only on Standard players.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
does that mean they can stop printing cards like Teferi, Narset, and Oko?

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

No Wave posted:

No I cant imagine they will ever stop printing good cards at the top of their power level curve

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Ate My Balls Redux posted:

No I cant imagine they will ever stop printing needlessly pushed mythics well beyond the top of legacy's power level curve

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Good thing only one of those cards is a mythic!

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Teferi makes me.... unable to counter spells! The horror!

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

No Wave posted:

They probably still want the game to be fun.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Ate My Balls Redux posted:

Teferi makes me.... unable to counter spells! The horror!

This but unironically

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

BizarroAzrael posted:

It's the first deck I'm brewing right now:
Avaya
Liliana, the Last Hope
Gray Merchant
Pack Rat
Gifted Aetherborn
Whip of Erebos
Deathrite Shaman?
Liliana, Deaths Majesty
Madness cards to pitch to rats?

Liliana last hope seems like she should have a spot.

Voldaren Pariah and From Under the Floorboards seem like the only good mono black madness cards, seems not great.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Bugsy posted:

Voldaren Pariah and From Under the Floorboards seem like the only good mono black madness cards, seems not great.

Liliana is actually kind of bad since there aren't really any X/1s in Pioneer. The only X/1 dork is Elvish Mystic. >_>

Edit: Ok, yeah. My point still stands. :colbert:
vvvvvvvvvvvvv

AlternateNu fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Oct 23, 2019

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

AlternateNu posted:

Liliana is actually kind of bad since there aren't really any X/1s in Pioneer. The only X/1 dork is Elvish Mystic. >_>

...Llanowar Elves?

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
Honestly at least it will give SaffronOlive something to do for Against The Odds beyond "a legit deck but with four bad cards"

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

AnEdgelord posted:

This but unironically

Yes, removing one color's entire form of interaction is bad, actualy.

Never mind all the other stupid things it also does.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
blue can in fact do things other than counterspell

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

AnEdgelord posted:

This but unironically
Also sneak in under counterspells. gently caress T3feri.

C-Euro posted:

Good thing only one of those cards is a mythic!
Is Oko or T3feri not a mythic? Genuinely curious.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

Tubgoat posted:

Also sneak in under counterspells. gently caress T3feri.

Is Oko or T3feri not a mythic? Genuinely curious.

lil tef is a rare

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Time posted:

lil tef is a rare

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha holy loving poo poo that makes it even more egregious! I keep forgetting because the game is unwinnable once I can't cast burn spells at end of turn!

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Tubgoat posted:

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha holy loving poo poo that makes it even more egregious! I keep forgetting because the game is unwinnable once I can't cast burn spells at end of turn!

Narset is an uncommon!

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

C-Euro posted:

Narset is an uncommon!
I knew that, I couldn't possible give less of a poo poo, she could cost U less for all I care.

Yoked
Apr 3, 2007

Who has a Spirits list for Pioneer?

I already had a bad fetch-less, Cavern-less Spirits deck so this format seems cool to me.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Yoked posted:

Who has a Spirits list for Pioneer?

I already had a bad fetch-less, Cavern-less Spirits deck so this format seems cool to me.

From: https://www.channelfireball.com/all-strategy/articles/12-pioneer-decks-to-build-around/

4 Hallowed Fountain
2 Mutavault
2 Unclaimed Territory
1 Port Town
2 Glacial Fortress
4 Breeding Pool
4 Hallowed Fountain
4 Temple Garden
2 Botanical Sanctum
4 Mausoleum Wanderer
4 Spectral Sailor
3 Rattlechains
3 Selfless Spirit
4 Supreme Phantom
4 Spell Queller
3 Deputy of Detention
3 Reflector Mage
4 Collected Company
3 Spell Pierce

Sideboard
3 Rest in Peace
2 Teferi, Time Raveler
2 Oko, Thief of Crowns
2 Damping Sphere
2 Ceremonious Rejection
2 Knight of Autumn
2 Dromoka’s Command

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

there would absolutely be a lawsuit if WOTC abolished the reserved list. It might not be successful but it would take up time and effort and cost money.

Hasbro has a legal department that they're paying whether or not garbage lawsuits that will be booted from the court in picoseconds are filed against them. The reserve list promise is not a contract, a legal agreement, or even under the purview of false advertising claims.

If they're holding to the reserve list it is not for fear of lawsuits.

quote:

Moreover, while they could certainly sell reserved list cards, it’s not clear that doing so would be a more profitable than whatever other product would otherwise go in that release slot, let alone sufficiently more profitable to balance the litigation costs.

I'm honestly at a loss here as to what you're saying. Do you think companies only get to release x products a year? That putting up a $200 set of dual lands for sale on their website today, with a fulfillment 1 year from now so they could print them, wouldn't make more money than not doing it?

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Bugsy posted:

Asylum Visitor seems good, good enough to run in 8-Rack sideboards.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

there would absolutely be a lawsuit if WOTC abolished the reserved list. It might not be successful but it would take up time and effort and cost money.

Isn't one of the reasons why corporations are a problem these days is because they can use legal action as a bullying tactic, not due to the merits or lack thereof of a given suit, but because John Q. Public will go broke long before $megacorp does if they actually try to fight in court?

I'm genuinely curious why the calculus seems to be reversed in this, one of the few cases where that dynamic might actually do some good in the world.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

PJOmega posted:

I'm honestly at a loss here as to what you're saying. Do you think companies only get to release x products a year? That putting up a $200 set of dual lands for sale on their website today, with a fulfillment 1 year from now so they could print them, wouldn't make more money than not doing it?

Yes, there’s a point at which you start glutting the market and lose the ability to sell cardboard at such a hilarious markup. There’s a reason they didn’t do masters sets every quarter (until that time they did and had to stop making them altogether)

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

JerryLee posted:

Isn't one of the reasons why corporations are a problem these days is because they can use legal action as a bullying tactic, not due to the merits or lack thereof of a given suit, but because John Q. Public will go broke long before $megacorp does if they actually try to fight in court?

I'm genuinely curious why the calculus seems to be reversed in this, one of the few cases where that dynamic might actually do some good in the world.

Because a class made of people with more money than sense is a whole different animal to face off against

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Bugsy posted:

From: https://www.channelfireball.com/all-strategy/articles/12-pioneer-decks-to-build-around/

4 Hallowed Fountain
2 Mutavault
2 Unclaimed Territory
1 Port Town
2 Glacial Fortress
4 Breeding Pool
4 Hallowed Fountain
4 Temple Garden
2 Botanical Sanctum
4 Mausoleum Wanderer
4 Spectral Sailor
3 Rattlechains
3 Selfless Spirit
4 Supreme Phantom
4 Spell Queller
3 Deputy of Detention
3 Reflector Mage
4 Collected Company
3 Spell Pierce

Sideboard
3 Rest in Peace
2 Teferi, Time Raveler
2 Oko, Thief of Crowns
2 Damping Sphere
2 Ceremonious Rejection
2 Knight of Autumn
2 Dromoka’s Command

It's an easy fix, but this list has 8 Hallowed Fountains in it.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

JerryLee posted:

You'll note that this still costs the megacorp money, so it's only worth it if the behaviour you're getting sued over profits you more than you spend defending it.

But the real reason is that the upper management at wotc (the ones you don't see writing articles and interacting with customers on the internet) are diehard believers in propping up the secondary market - but they've listened to their lawyers enough to not say that in any discoverable medium. You can see this leak through occasionally when maro or someone occasionally talks about their conspicuously unnamed boss.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
All manner of lovely behavior by corporations in America costs thousands of times more than just not being lovely.
The crueltyexclusivity is the point. Do you really want some snot-nosed brat sitting across from a multiple-Pro Tour-winner in a sanctioned game of legacy or, god forbid, vintage? Or worse, that same little brat getting consistent mana for his Sliver Queen (ALSO a godless reprint!) EDH deck? We may as well just burn all our cards right now if people of modest or humble means can afford to play the same game as us!

v v v Nice!

The American Dream
Mar 1, 2007
Don't Forget My Balls
Check your local bulk boxes. I got an aetherworks marvel, 9 heart of kirans and 2 siege rhinos in the 15 for $5 box.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

PJOmega posted:

Hasbro has a legal department that they're paying whether or not garbage lawsuits that will be booted from the court in picoseconds are filed against them. The reserve list promise is not a contract, a legal agreement, or even under the purview of false advertising claims.

If they're holding to the reserve list it is not for fear of lawsuits.

I’m not sure if you’re familiar with the way corporate litigation works and I don’t mean to talk down to you if you are, but:
1) there is a well established principle of contract law known as promissory estoppel that basically says that even though WOTC didn’t sign a contract when they established the reserved list, the fact that they knew it would induce certain actions in the secondary market and it did so means there are legal hurdles to them going back on it
2) even if this legal theory wouldn’t ultimately win, it’s certainly enough to get past the pleading stage and into discovery, which is hugely expensive and time consuming
3) all big corps have in house departments, but they tend not to be litigation experts, so WOTC would have to hire outside counsel at tremendous expense. Also hasbro’s legal team isn’t sitting around with their thumbs up their asses, they’re doing stuff every day, and this would be a huge amount of extra work, so they’d have to bring in outside counsel for that too.

so yes a lawsuit would be very expensive and annoying, and more to the point, abolishing the reserved list would not be much more lucrative than a thousand other things they can do that don’t have huge legal question marks hanging over them