Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS

VideoGameVet posted:

The classic example is the British offering a bounty on capturing and killing cobra snakes in India.

You can guess the rest.

Or if you are into funnier stories, in Borneo they had such a big rat problem that the local government put a bounty on catching rats.

Turns out it’s real hard to catch rats but not so hard to breed them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy

Herstory Begins Now posted:

don't forget: family of 3 almost broke on 600,000/month income

Death by guillotine!!!

Trumps been remarkably quiet about this not gonna lie

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Ague Proof posted:

William Jennings Bryan :smuggo:

oh right, a man who got owned even more than I am right now

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Ice Phisherman posted:

So for those not in the know, people farmed cobras, breeding them and killing them for the bounty.

... and when the program ended, they just let them out.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

Spiffster posted:

Death by guillotine!!!

Trumps been remarkably quiet about this not gonna lie

Someone must've taken his phone

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Oh my god the New York Times did it again

https://twitter.com/nickmerrill/status/1186712387707199488?s=21

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
I imagine he's raging in executive time over the white house leaker announcing that they're writing a book

Also, probably Taylor's testimony

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

They very well might be interchangable at this point.

eggyolk
Nov 8, 2007

It is a joke though. The impeachment evidence is being kept a secret to Fox News viewers.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

You have got to be loving kidding me.

People talked about that poo poo for DAYS. NPR MENTIONED THAT HILLARY HAD ACCUSED TULSI OF BEING GROOMED BY RUSSIANS. GOD FUCKJNG DAMNIT NYT YOU ARE SO lovely

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/cd_hooks/status/1186664894868918278?s=21

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Slowpoke! posted:

Or if you are into funnier stories, in Borneo they had such a big rat problem that the local government put a bounty on catching rats.

Turns out it’s real hard to catch rats but not so hard to breed them.

Or, if Dilbert is permissible anymore:

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Data Graham posted:

Or, if Dilbert is permissible anymore:

I recall reading that there was an uptick in some kind of refrigerant prohibited by the Montreal protocol because the incentive for disposing of it was too generous in a certain country. Companies were making the gas just to get the disposal credit.

Edit: Yeah, conveniently referenced in the Wikpedia article on perverse incentives:

quote:

The controversy surrounds projects that remove HFC 23, one of the most potent greenhouse gases in existence, from the atmosphere. These projects make up less than 1 per cent of scheme projects but are responsible for more half the carbon credits awarded by the UN so far, mostly to chemical plants in India and China that emit HFC 23 as a byproduct.

There is “overwhelming evidence that manufacturers are gaming the system and undermining carbon markets by producing more potent greenhouse gases just so they can get paid to destroy them,” climate researcher Eva Filzmoser wrote in a recent report placed before a UN committee.

Bubbacub fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Oct 23, 2019

Flowers for QAnon
May 20, 2019

Can someone smarter than me, help with a dunking retort to this argument?

Amazing Zimmo
Jan 27, 2006

That's quite a load you got in them diapers
https://twitter.com/ddale8/status/1186777978228957184

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005
The last few days have given us Chad Wolf and Pierre Delecto guys.

We are living through history here.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Flowers for QAnon posted:

the republican members of the investigating committees have been at every single hearing

what they've been doing is having random other republicans try to show up and get kicked out, just like anyone not on the committee would be at a closed committee hearing

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

They all did a hash tag

Also the diversity is incredible

https://mobile.twitter.com/Rep_Watkins/status/1186802687490379776
https://mobile.twitter.com/RepLaMalfa/status/1186766822487527424
https://mobile.twitter.com/RepByrne/status/1186791906803671042
https://mobile.twitter.com/RepWesterman/status/1186802510377472000
https://mobile.twitter.com/RepJohnRose/status/1186802885956440065
https://mobile.twitter.com/RepBillJohnson/status/1186803745541230592

Fifteen of Many
Feb 23, 2006

Flowers for QAnon posted:

We're in the grand jury phase, where evidence doesn't need to be presented in a public way and the defendant has no right to rebut testimony. We'll get to a public hearing phase, but ultimately until charges are made via formal impeachment, there's no due process concern with how this is going.

It's also a bipartisan committee doing the questioning, it's not a one party thing. It's just not open to the public yet.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.
They Be Afraid

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

Come on, lemme see ya shake your tail feather

God, after listening to the most recent Dollop about Ronald Reagan it's really just the same poo poo all over again, Ronald would claim all sorts of poo poo people would tell him in letters to him like the pope and then the Vatican would just immediately come out and deny it.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

I still don't understand why they pushed out Yovanovitch to do some crimes, but replaced her with another career diplomat.

thin blue whine
Feb 21, 2004
PLEASE SEE POLICY

Soiled Meat

Bubbacub posted:

I still don't understand why they pushed out Yovanovitch to do some crimes, but replaced her with another career diplomat.

they're dumb as gently caress op

e: they also think they can lie through anything and if they can't they know the Republicans have to defend them no matter what, so this makes them sloppy and overconfident of their abilities / intelligence (of which there is very little)

thin blue whine fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Oct 23, 2019

pkay
Jan 4, 2005
"You and your ilk just made me vote downticket R in the midterms."
- a black man (- a magachud)

Bubbacub posted:

Because the other career diplomats seemed like he would actually do some crimes?

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Bubbacub posted:

there's a pretty simple answer that works quite often in this administration: they're very stupid and just blindly reacting to idiotic conspiracy theories

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

How Trump will manage to blow this talking point up isn't entirely clear to me, but I can't wait to see it happen.

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

I CAN'T SAY PRESIDENT DONALD JOHN TRUMP'S NAME BECAUSE HE'S LIKE THAT GUY FROM HARRY POTTER AND I'M AFRAID I'LL SUMMON HIM. DONALD JOHN TRUMP. YOUR FAVORITE PRESIDENT.
OUR 47TH PRESIDENT AFTER THE ONE WHO SHOWERS WITH HIS DAUGHTER DIES
Grimey Drawer

evilweasel posted:

the republican members of the investigating committees have been at every single hearing

what they've been doing is having random other republicans try to show up and get kicked out, just like anyone not on the committee would be at a closed committee hearing

Also republican members have equal time to question in closed hearings (wherein grandstanding before camera doesn't happen):

House Republicans complain about limited access to closed-door House impeachment investigation sessions
usatoday.com/Oct. 16

'“They have been very professionally done,” Schiff said. “All those members, too, asked questions. And we go until the questions are exhausted, so they get to ask whatever questions they want in a process in which they have every bit as much opportunity as the majority to ask questions.”

Schiff said the committees keep the sessions closed because some witnesses may lie like Michael Cohen, Trump’s former personal lawyer, who was convicted of lying to Congress.

“Now, we do anticipate a time when we'll be releasing transcripts, and we do anticipate there will be a time when we will hold back some of these witnesses for open session, and we may call witnesses in open session that we haven't called in closed session. But we will do so giving the GOP members every opportunity to ask questions,” Schiff said. “We want to make sure that we get to the truth, and this is the process, I think, early in an investigation that makes the most sense.”'

thin blue whine
Feb 21, 2004
PLEASE SEE POLICY

Soiled Meat
https://twitter.com/Progressive_Pol/status/1186801967483572224

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Flip Yr Wig posted:

How Trump will manage to blow this talking point up isn't entirely clear to me, but I can't wait to see it happen.

What talking point

All I see is a bunch of "BUT THE DEMS!!!!"

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Bubbacub posted:

They read on Breitbart or something she was helping Biden.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

https://mobile.twitter.com/LindseyGrahamSC/status/1186807843699220480

"WAAH STOP BEING MEAN TO TRUMP YOU GUYS"

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

I CAN'T SAY PRESIDENT DONALD JOHN TRUMP'S NAME BECAUSE HE'S LIKE THAT GUY FROM HARRY POTTER AND I'M AFRAID I'LL SUMMON HIM. DONALD JOHN TRUMP. YOUR FAVORITE PRESIDENT.
Grimey Drawer

quote:

Private prisons?

My Four Months as a Private Prison Guard

Chapter 1: “Inmates Run This Bitch”....

Otteration fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Oct 23, 2019

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

I love how we are at a point where they are just screaming SHAM! while everyone else sees the evidence piling up and the President and his Chief of Staff admit they did it

It's all so stupid

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

friendbot2000 posted:

I am....not sure what the heck you are talking about regarding Lee Carter. He has routinely stood up for his constituents and loving authored the bill to repeal Right to Work in Virginia as well as many other bills to expand workmans comp benefits, kicking Dominion Power's coal burning rear end all over the chamber, and so much more. He is about as leftist as you can get and is part of the progressive left in VA politics. So...no, he should not lose his race and you need to sit the gently caress down. You are out of your element here.

I thought he meant bernie lmao

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer

VideoGameVet posted:

They Be Afraid

They're using talking points from the stupidest orange poo poo stain in American history. Be afraid, them, be very afraid.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

TulliusCicero posted:

I love how we are at a point where they are just screaming SHAM! while everyone else sees the evidence piling up and the President and his Chief of Staff admit they did it

It's all so stupid

The only good thing is that chuds are getting really impatient with Graham not abusing his powers

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

They all did a hash tag

Looooooooooooosers

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer

To be sort of fair, due process in reality includes the option of delay.

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

Nate is drunkposting

https://twitter.com/natesilver538/status/1186812086703349761?s=21

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ewiley
Jul 9, 2003

More trash for the trash fire

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

They all did a hash tag

Are they just going to ignore the 15 pages of 🔥 leaked today? I mean it's all completely damning. Schiff is just one committee chair of 4 conducting investigations, they're going to need to come up with more nicknames stat.