Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
Yeah me too. I’m thinking it needs more time on the new watchOS or it’s a bug.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Has anyone’s activity summary-type stuff gone weird? I’d get the “Here’s what you did yesterday” notification every day around 10am or so. Now I’ll get it around...11pm or even later? Sometimes I’ll get the “You can do it, just an X minute brisk walk.” in the am when I’ve barely started my day, when previously it’d kick in after 5pm if I hadn’t closed anything.

It’s just...weird.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

So 40mm is the new 38mm? I really like my Apple Watch 3 38mm in terms of screen size, not to get into an argument about wrist size. I feel like I just got this thing and there’s already two new generations 😳

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

So 40mm is the new 38mm? I really like my Apple Watch 3 38mm in terms of screen size, not to get into an argument about wrist size. I feel like I just got this thing and there’s already two new generations 😳
Yep, 38->40, 42->44. And bands are similarly compatible, as well.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
My S2 is all of a sudden lasting like 6 hours off the charger. Interestingly usage and standby are the showing almost the same number so clearly something is keeping it awake.

How do I troubleshoot this? I’ve already reset the watch have not installed any additional apps (didn’t help). I don’t have to reset the phone too do I? I really don’t want to lose all my two factor codes :/

Overall iOS 13 has been such a shitshow on my (admittedly aging) devices that I’m seriously considering going back to Android - at least Google would eventually fix these sorts of issues while it seems every .1 has made things worse.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

How old is your S2? It could be just the battery is aging and needs to be replaced.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I think it was just before the S3 came out so a while ago now. Still it shouldn’t be awake the entire time right (i.e usage should be equal standby)?

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

smackfu posted:

It’s more that I have no confidence I will keep the watch for two years.

On another topic, in the Activity app, I am getting “needs more data” for a bunch of trends which I think is odd since I’ve been using my old watch for at least a year now. Stuff like “Stand Minutes” where it should have data. Happening to anyone else?

Stand minutes is a new thing for new watchOS so won’t have been recorded before you updated

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

dissss posted:

:words:

... I don’t have to reset the phone too do I? I really don’t want to lose all my two factor codes :/

:words:

This may be true of other apps but Microsoft Authenticator can backup 2FA codes.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Yeah I wish I’d chosen the auth app more carefully rather than just installing the Google one (which doesn’t support backups so far as I can tell)

Anyway the issue appears to have been fixed by doing a full backup and restore of the phone using iTunes which was actually a quick and painless process.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Dick Nipples posted:

This may be true of other apps but Microsoft Authenticator can backup 2FA codes.

Does MS Auth support standard TOTP codes? Because I wouldn't mind putting all my 2FA eggs in that basket.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Protocol7 posted:

Does MS Auth support standard TOTP codes? Because I wouldn't mind putting all my 2FA eggs in that basket.

Yup. I’ve been using it for a few years and all of my TOTP codes except my work one (Duo) are in there.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Anyone using Carrot Weather and had trouble with it updating the complication on watchOS 6.0.1? I noticed in last week or two that it hasn’t been updating consistently.

Trying out Hello Weather for giggles to see if that’s any different.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

In my experience, all weather complications suck and don’t update regularly at random points.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

In my experience, all weather complications suck and don’t update regularly at random points.

I used to think that but on the S5 I've been having great success with Dark Sky.

The only thing is that if you are traveling it's not super great at dynamically changing the weather as you are moving around, but if you just click the complication it updates in about two seconds and then stays on that location.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Taima posted:

I used to think that but on the S5 I've been having great success with Dark Sky.

The only thing is that if you are traveling it's not super great at dynamically changing the weather as you are moving around, but if you just click the complication it updates in about two seconds and then stays on that location.

This is why I’m super impressed by the Hello Weather app. It’s complication has been spot on since a recent update. Even following my current location.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Do any of the 3rd party weather complications also monitor air quality?

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

Thwomp posted:

This is why I’m super impressed by the Hello Weather app. It’s complication has been spot on since a recent update. Even following my current location.

That sounds really nice actually. Has anyone used hello weather and Darksky a decent amount and can comment on what is better?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Taima posted:

That sounds really nice actually. Has anyone used hello weather and Darksky a decent amount and can comment on what is better?

Hello weather uses dark sky as a Data source

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

SeANMcBAY posted:

I think that’s a complication for the default weather app actually. Unless you definitely wanted third party.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

SeANMcBAY posted:

Wunderground does

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

Thwomp posted:

I tried Hello Weather because of this post and while I know this is the Watch thread, the scrolling in the iOS app really bugged me. It’s like within the main vertical scrolling content you can also scroll sections horizontally, but one doesn’t cancel the other.

Admittedly very OCD, but it might be one of those “once you notice it” things..

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Gay Retard posted:

I prefer the aesthetics of the sport band but enjoy the comfort of the sport loop. Only issue I've heard about the sport loop is that the velcro isn't strong enough to withstand high pressure from waterfalls.

I ended up ordering a dozens loops/bands for $2 each from here: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32946486146.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.661c4c4dW9qCEF

I ended up getting 12 sport loops for less than the cost of one of Timb’s. Thanks, Gay Retard!

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Well I sent a feedback email to Carrot Weather and the author shot me a link to a beta test flight that seems to be working and consistently updating.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

what are the cool kids using for weather apps now

I have been using Dark Sky which was the hotness for a while but find it’s less and less accurate. Not sure if they changed an algorithm or what

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

I have been using Dark Sky which was the hotness for a while but find it’s less and less accurate. Not sure if they changed an algorithm or what

:same:

I love dark sky, never got carrot weather, but dark sky is getting worse and worse update-frequency-especially-on-the-watch side.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Perennial crowd favorites from last several pages have been:

- Dark Sky which seems to waffle between terrible and great.
- Carrot Weather - generally consistent, current version is broken on watch but beta is going strong
- Hello Weather - seems super consistent, newest one I’ve heard of

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Carrot weather with the $10 annual sub so I can get cool notifications and radar maps on my Apple Watch.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Barely waking up in bed this morning and my watch goes off. “You can still do it,” it says! Just a brisk 30 minute walk.

I’ve been awake for 15 minutes! Leave me alone. This is the sassiest watch I’ve owned.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Have you ever had a Garmin? It buzzes you after you are sitting for 14 seconds to tell you to get up and move.

Turn that poo poo off and never look back.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Ever since I replaced my 3 with a 5, it now no longer does a vo2 max calculation during my runs. Any outdoor run over 20 mins used to trigger a calculation for it, but now, I haven’t gotten a single one since I’ve had my 5. Anyone else notice this? I’ve been running 5x/week too.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Ever since I replaced my 3 with a 5, it now no longer does a vo2 max calculation during my runs. Any outdoor run over 20 mins used to trigger a calculation for it, but now, I haven’t gotten a single one since I’ve had my 5. Anyone else notice this? I’ve been running 5x/week too.

Oddly, I experienced the opposite upgrading my 4 to WatchOS 6. It would never calculate on a run, but would do it for walks. Also doing so has seemingly doubled my value which seems unlikely. I just assume it's wrong.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Protocol7 posted:

Barely waking up in bed this morning and my watch goes off. “You can still do it,” it says! Just a brisk 30 minute walk.

I’ve been awake for 15 minutes! Leave me alone. This is the sassiest watch I’ve owned.

Last night mine was telling me my move and exercise rings are usually further along, and to try and get some exercise today. It was 20 past midnight.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

90% of the weather apps on the App Store like Carrot Weather and Hello Weather use Dark Sky for their weather data so if your problem is inaccurate data then double check their providers before you buy.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I feel like the Watch 5 could use some more tweaking in regards to notifications + always on. If it buzzes me, I don’t want to wait a second or two for it to decide to show the alert onscreen after I twist my wrist. I just want it onscreen so I can glance at it.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

That’s a privacy thing. People are saying they’d like to pick and choose which show up on AOD and which require a standard wrist flick.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Pants Donkey posted:

That’s a privacy thing. People are saying they’d like to pick and choose which show up on AOD and which require a standard wrist flick.

Ah I guess that makes Apple sense.

god this blows
Mar 13, 2003

watchOS 6.1 is out https://www.macrumors.com/2019/10/29/apple-releases-watchos-6-1/ I'm installing now and we'll see if my watch blows up.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I sure as gently caress hope it fixes the battery issue with AOD.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

god this blows posted:

watchOS 6.1 is out https://www.macrumors.com/2019/10/29/apple-releases-watchos-6-1/ I'm installing now and we'll see if my watch blows up.

Oh hey, watchOS 6 finally available on my S2.