Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

If Johnson hadn't killed off Snoke, would all of this been him instead of Sheev?

Which is funny because it would have been basically saying "Like a BIGGER Death Star, he's a BIGGER Emperor!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

If those spoilers are true absolute laughing will be had on my part because good lord do they not know what theyre doing.

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

porfiria posted:

I mean it’s the villain saying it to be fair.

gently caress everything about this movie sounds so slap dash. I thought TLJ was pretty bad but at least it had an opinion.

it didn’t though. it contradicted and walked back all its dumb opinions by the end of its own movie

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Mandrel posted:

it didn’t though. it contradicted and walked back all its dumb opinions by the end of its own movie

and then RotS is gonna contradict and walk back the contradicting and walking back

the ST is such a loving mess it's incredible

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

TLJ is bad in a deeply pretentious way. This one is shaping up bad in a 'failed high school' way

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

porfiria posted:

I mean it’s the villain saying it to be fair.

gently caress everything about this movie sounds so slap dash. I thought TLJ was pretty bad but at least it had an opinion.

The problem is that they should have never brought in Rian Johnson at all unless it was to do the last movie since his whole thing was crap. Like the angle of Rey's parents being nobody's made no sense given the sheer amount of focus her abandonment had on top of the ship looking to well maintained to have been some nobodies. If it were an anonymous slaver ship then yeah sure, but the whole thing was presented as them being of some significance and the reasons for her being left behind being ambiguous. Johnson walking all that back on top of killing off Snoke just hosed everything into the situation we have now.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

The point of her parents being nobodies is that the force is not genetic and this is no longer a story about genetic supremacy.

Snoke dying was a rejection of the big bad guy format.

Both subversive choices I applaud Johnson for. He made an unconventional tentpole film.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

star wars was never a story about genetic supremacy

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

well why not posted:

The point of her parents being nobodies is that the force is not genetic and this is no longer a story about genetic supremacy.

No it’s not. That is a meme spread by people struggling to understand the film.

Rey is genetically superior because she has lots of midichlorians, like Yoda.

Rey’s parents are ‘nobody’ because she ends up being adopted by ‘somebody’: her new mommy figure, Leia.

quote:

Snoke dying was a rejection of the big bad guy format.

There’s no such thing as a “big bad guy format”, and Snoke literally is a big, bad guy who dies at the end of the film. That’s not a subversion.

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Oct 23, 2019

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Jedi were literally a master race. They have their own religion based around their supremacy. There’s opportunities open to Jedi or force sensitive people that are not available to others.

When they find one of their kind in slavery, Qui Gon goes to great lengths to free him, ignoring every other slave.

Everyone likes to imagine they’d be a Jedi or a sensitive. Imagine for a minute you’re a shuttle mechanic. How do you feel about the Jedi intervening in politics, or whisking toddlers away?

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

well why not posted:

Jedi were literally a master race. They have their own religion based around their supremacy. There’s opportunities open to Jedi or force sensitive people that are not available to others.

When they find one of their kind in slavery, Qui Gon goes to great lengths to free him, ignoring every other slave.

and then they all sucked poo poo and got killed because they bought into their own hype

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

The concept that Rey or Yoda is “genetically superior” is a pretty dubious way to prove that it’s not a genetic trait.

When Qui Gon gets the midichlorian reading (ugh) he asks about the boys’ father. It’s plainly inheritance and that is uncool.

The most famous scene in these films is the parental reveal. TLJ inverts that - her parents are dead losers who mean nothing. If JJ walks that back, fine, but I think it was a brave choice.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

all that inversion does is raise a big middle finger to abrams for not having any planned out when he made TFA

which i applaud in that sense, but it doesn't change anything about star wars as a whole. so what if rey isn't related to a starwalker, there were thousands of jedi of all kinds of species, rey ain't special or anything new

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Agreed on that front, and yes, the Owning Of The Jedi is a big lol.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
The thing about the Jedi and mystic powers and inheritance and everything is that none of that poo poo actually matters (although the Jedi and Sith are obsessed with it). Like it's shown in the opening minutes of The Phantom Menace that Jedi are about as formidable as...a heavy weapons platform?

Yoda and Palpatine are powerful because they're old dudes at the tops of huge hierarchies not because they can blow poo poo up with their minds.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
The Jedi obsess over their prophecy of a super being who's going to vanquish their enemies, and they devote all their time to maneuvering in galactic politics instead of doing actual good or even just helping a poor slave kid work through his issues. Anakin ends up falling for base human reasons: he's neglected, unappreciated, misled, and desperate.

The remaining Jedi then try to shape their chosen one's son into their new savior, thinking he has inherited the role and must kill his father and the emperor. Instead, at the climactic confrontation, Luke rejects his superpowers and refuses to wield them. He ends up saving his father purely through their human connection—once again, there's nothing mystical about it.

Fans have absorbed this idea that Star Wars is about genetic superiority because instead of grappling with the moral themes of the saga, they just imagine how cool it would be to have all the awesome powers. After all, Star Wars fans don’t actually like Star Wars.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

porfiria posted:

The thing about the Jedi and mystic powers and inheritance and everything is that none of that poo poo actually matters (although the Jedi and Sith are obsessed with it). Like it's shown in the opening minutes of The Phantom Menace that Jedi are about as formidable as...a heavy weapons platform?

Yoda and Palpatine are powerful because they're old dudes at the tops of huge hierarchies not because they can blow poo poo up with their minds.

It's fandom that obsessed with making the Jedi into superheroes. Look at the Genndy Tartakovsky Clone Wars series. Mace Windu wipes out an entire Separatist army single handedly. Meanwhile Lucas is like "Oh, 10 super battle droids (the fuckers below) could take out a Jedi."

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:
Rey is a Palpatine anyways, sooo...

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Zoran posted:

The Jedi obsess over their prophecy of a super being who's going to vanquish their enemies, and they devote all their time to maneuvering in galactic politics instead of doing actual good or even just helping a poor slave kid work through his issues. Anakin ends up falling for base human reasons: he's neglected, unappreciated, misled, and desperate.

The remaining Jedi then try to shape their chosen one's son into their new savior, thinking he has inherited the role and must kill his father and the emperor. Instead, at the climactic confrontation, Luke rejects his superpowers and refuses to wield them. He ends up saving his father purely through their human connection—once again, there's nothing mystical about it.

Fans have absorbed this idea that Star Wars is about genetic superiority because instead of grappling with the moral themes of the saga, they just imagine how cool it would be to have all the awesome powers. After all, Star Wars fans don’t actually like Star Wars.

That's always been my general takeaway from the series and one of the biggest things I've hated about the new series was how they did Luke's character. It just felt lovely. The rest I 100% agree with.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
Episode 8 subverts the idea that people without superpowers are nobodies by saying Rey’s parents are powerless nobodies.

Meanwhile, without her genetically enhanced combat and piloting skills, Rey would be... a mechanic on an animal transport barge?

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
Yeah TLJ is still into Great Man theory, it's just saying your dad doesn't have to be a Great Man for you to be a Great Man.

TerminalRaptor
Nov 6, 2012

Mostly Harmless

Davros1 posted:

Han as a Force ghost is amazing.

if the spoiler plot is true, I'm calling this as an intentional misdirection. It won't be Han, it will be a Vader force ghost.

It wouldn't surprise me if that's what was written in the script, and they kept the real scene secret ala Vadar's "I'm your father" in Empire.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

Davros1 posted:

It's fandom that obsessed with making the Jedi into superheroes. Look at the Genndy Tartakovsky Clone Wars series. Mace Windu wipes out an entire Separatist army single handedly. Meanwhile Lucas is like "Oh, 10 super battle droids (the fuckers below) could take out a Jedi."

Not all Jedi are warriors like Mace Windu. I'm not sure if it's canon or legends, but IIRC a lot of the Jedi who died there were the diplomats and scholars.

https://www.starwars.com/news/meet-the-geonosis-jedi

Also, they lost 170 of 200. :staredog:

quote:

When Obi-Wan Kenobi got captured on Geonosis by the powerhouses of the Secessionist Movement, Mace Windu decided to lead a task force of 200 Jedi. Meanwhile, Yoda left for the Kamino system where the Republic would make use of the mysterious clone army that had been ordered about a decade ago by Jedi Master Sifo-Dyas. The participation of the Jedi on Geonosis would prove to be an omen of what the Clone Wars would bring for the guardians of peace and justice. The battle showed what the Jedi were and also what they weren’t. The Jedi were compassionate beings who didn’t hesitate to rescue a fellow Jedi in need and who did anything they could to protect the Galactic Republic. But the Jedi had evolved into diplomats and keepers of the peace instead of hardened battlefield commanders. The outcome of the Battle of Geonosis would be disastrous for the Jedi Order, as about 170 of the 200 Jedi would perish on Geonosis’ reddish soil. Let’s meet the valiant Jedi who joined Master Windu to Geonosis.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Sword Diplomat! Sword Scholar! Get on the battle bus!

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Ol’ Mace didn’t exactly bring the first team All-Stars with him to arrest Palpatine, either.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Diplomat and Scholar mean very different things when the first part of your job description is "Extra-Legal Cultist Enforcer"

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
God, please let there be a banana peel that Kylo slips on into the Pit ‘O Doom, never to be seen again.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Gonz posted:

Ol’ Mace didn’t exactly bring the first team All-Stars with him to arrest Palpatine, either.

Those dudes getting trounced instantly is very funny. Did he find them trying to free a head tentacle from a Jedi temple vending machine on his way out?

I’m sure they’re absolute killers in semicanon literature. What a franchise.

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

lol sick

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

well why not posted:

Those dudes getting trounced instantly is very funny. Did he find them trying to free a head tentacle from a Jedi temple vending machine on his way out?

I’m sure they’re absolute killers in semicanon literature. What a franchise.

IIRC the aquatic kind of one effortlessly murders like a zillion dudes in the animated shorts.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

A weapon to surpass Death Star..... is an entire fleet of them.

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

everyone's acting like a jedi killing a million dudes dynasty warriors style isnt cool, well, you are wrong

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Zas posted:

everyone's acting like a jedi killing a million dudes dynasty warriors style isnt cool, well, you are wrong

A star wars dynasty warriors esque old republic game would rule.

That said, I really like how relatively fragile the Jedi are in Lucas's films and that would kind of undermine that. Well not like the real history of dynasty warriors happened that way either.

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.

Davros1 posted:

genndy wars is pure republican propaganda

TCW also reads like propaganda, but only because they have that bombastic announcer at the start of every episode.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Chuka Umana posted:

What the gently caress is with the horses? There are horses in Star Wars?

There were horses in the Ewok movies.

Rando
Mar 11, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I just realized ewok is really just wookie with the syllables reversed.

Asgerd
May 6, 2012

I worked up a powerful loneliness in my massive bed, in the massive dark.
Grimey Drawer

Remember that planet-sized explosion that very clearly obliterated the DS2 down to its very atoms? Turns out it didn't even manage to break all the windows. Apparently Palpatine's budget cuts didn't extend to double glazing.

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug
I hope the turntable motor in the Emperor's chair still works.

LinkesAuge
Sep 7, 2011

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Episode 8 subverts the idea that people without superpowers are nobodies by saying Rey’s parents are powerless nobodies.

You can only subvert an idea that has existed in the first place. SW didn't create the idea that you need to have superpowers to be "someone". One of the other main characters (Han) doesn't have them and it's never treated like he is missing some. There is also never an instance in the SW universe where the Jedi are treated as "super beings", even the Sith don't make this a topic. For them it's not about being a superior being (part of their tradition is killing each other), it's all about power. If anything the absence of any kind of Jedi/Sith supremacy is obvious (in the OT Vader's powers even get mocked as magic tricks).
On top of that Anakin's mother was a "nobody" too.

quote:

Meanwhile, without her genetically enhanced combat and piloting skills, Rey would be... a mechanic on an animal transport barge?

If you are born with it, it's not "enhanced". You wouldn't call Einstein "genetically enhanced", we have a word for that, it's "gifted" or in a religious context it'd be "blessed" and that probably fits better with the "mechanics" of the force because there is nothing that suggests you could gene edit someone in SW to get force powers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Maybe she's born with it. Maybe its Midichlorians