Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Cardiovorax posted:

Honestly, that is what struck me the most about Agony: it actually isn't that disgusting. There's very little in it that is really unusually brutal, by the standards of horror games anyway. Outlast 1 and 2 have numerous scenes that are far more intensely disturbing than the honestly rather bland "blah blah hell blah blah suffering blah blah gore" that makes up the majority of Agony. It's a bad game and it was apparently made by assholes, but I do not think that it really deserved the reaction that it got.

Being bland while also trying to be edgy for edgy's sake is worse than just being bland, i think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

dogstile posted:

I dunno i clicked through and at around the five minute mark there's a part where you're (i'm gonna spoiler this because its gross as gently caress) stomping on demon babies, then you punch a strung up pregnant woman in the stomach until her legs are covered in blood. Then you rip out the demon baby by inserting your arm into her

It's the same edgy devs, for sure

As a counterpoint, there's also a random part later in the video where you find a man laying prone on the ground, gently caress him, and then slap him once?

You can really tell the devs are dudes.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Lmao, i turned off the video before then because I was kinda bored.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Speaking of bored...

:ohno: SPOOKY GAMES 6: Hellseeker :ohno:

1. Apsulov: End of Gods
2. Conarium
3. TAMASHII
4. Apparition
5. Secrets of the Maw (DLC)
6. Bad Dream: Coma
7. They Breathe
8. The Final Station
9. Love, Sam
10. Pacify
11. Return of the Obra Dinn
12. Silver Chains
13. Bad Dream: Fever
14. DISTRAINT 2
15. Pamali: Indonesian Folklore Horror
16. Tormentum - Dark Sorrow
17. The Light Keeps Us Safe
18. Kalaban
19. Verde Station
20. Evil
21. Stygian: Reign of the Old Ones

22. Watch This!

I’ve been sitting here for about ten minutes trying to come up with some profound insight to start this review with, as I do with pretty much all my reviews, but you know what? This game is just dumb. Dumb games exist, and I even like a few of them, but others are just so profoundly stupid that they don’t really deserve a complex, in-depth takedown. There’s a seed of a good game buried in the manure of Watch This, a germ of an idea that could make a pretty entertaining romp, and since its release other games have built on the whole “deadly game show” concept. I won’t give Watch This credit for that, though, because it’s really not intelligent enough to have spawned anything in its wake.

In the dystopian hell future that Trump is surely dragging us all towards, the hottest new game show in the world is a sort of murder maze take on The Running Man. You are deposited into a twisting labyrinth of pipes, catwalks, spikes, grinders, and more, and are tasked with finding your way out alive. There’s money tucked away all over the place though, and the more you score the more fabulous prizes you can escape with. But you’ll also need to find keys to reach the exit, and finding them may put you in the path of the maze’s deadly denizens. With a little bit of luck and some help from magic powers, you just might walk away with a grand prize or two.

All of this is explained up front in a corny, awkward, and possibly racist animated sequence that also features the likenesses of Vladimir Putin and a triple-breasted alien. Trying to make a game funny with memes and edgy humor is almost always worse than playing it straight, and the “jokes” in Watch This just sap my patience for the rest of the game. And that’s a problem, because the randomly-generated mazes you scoot around are claustrophobic messes of confusing chambers and boring hallways. I found it impossible to keep my bearings or any sense of direction at all, which led to wandering around until I stumbled across a key, a door, or death.

None of the traps are any more interesting than crushers or conveyors over spike pits, yet somehow the enemies are the weakest part of this package. There are a couple flavors, like the naked green mutant, the random ninja guy, and the genuinely cool TV brute, but they all follow roughly the same pattern, which is chasing directly after you. They can’t climb or jump, which is a real problem in levels with so many ladders and platforming challenges. Really if you can hold out until you reach a vertical room, you’ll leave your foes impotently pacing while you hustle off to other parts of the maze. The only things that will kill you are spiked floors if you flub a jump, and crushers if you’re not paying the least bit of attention.

So that’s it, running through boring, confusing mazes and collecting junk. It’s not scary or challenging, and it sure as hell isn’t funny, which doesn’t leave much reason to play it at all. I honestly expected a bit more from Watch This, considering how clean and detailed the graphics are, but that’s literally the only place this game isn’t terrible. The developers might have realized this, which is why the store screenshots are all just boring scenes of rooms and halls. It’s a sad truth that meme games are often only as fun as their memes are, and the garbage that this one is built around isn’t enough to prop up a Flash game, much less a full product like this.

Too Shy Guy fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Oct 22, 2019

Piss Witch
Oct 23, 2005

Section Z posted:

I remember it is called Scorn, but I'm ignorant of what recent updates (If any) are going on with it beyond "Uh, we're probably not releasing this year, sorry" unless there have been sudden improvements not listed on their kickstarter's front page.

There was an update fairly recently saying that making art assets is taking forever or something but they wanna get it right. I enjoyed the alpha so kinda just waiting for it now.

As for succubus, reported the video for sexual content because lol gently caress those edge lords.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

dogstile posted:

Being bland while also trying to be edgy for edgy's sake is worse than just being bland, i think.
I mean, fair enough, it's certainly no reason to like it. It's just that in the parts of it that I watched, I didn't see anything as bad as that thing in Outlast 2 where your wife is raped by the cult leader and kept in a cage like an animal or that cutscene in Outlast 1 where a crazy naked man brutally cuts off part of your hand on-screen while you can only sit there and stare at the bleeding stumps.

Maybe there's something just that much worse than what I've seen later in the game somewhere, but it just seems to me that anyone who hates Agony for its content (rather than for being a very bad game, I mean) ought to be hating those games just as much, if not more so - and I'm not sure why they don't.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I honestly thought outlast was pretty hated too? I certainly didn't like either.

Not enough to throw a report at them because I don't like them though :v:

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Disposable Scud posted:

Manhunt 2 uncut is gross. I love it. Try hard as gently caress.

How does one play this in 2019? I looked into this a while back but couldn't figure out how to get the uncut version.

Unrelated, but I'd be happy if rockstar re-released The Warriors on PC.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

dogstile posted:

I honestly thought outlast was pretty hated too? I certainly didn't like either.
It was? I thought it was fairly positively received. Got some really high ratings on Steam, anyway.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I just read about it on here rather than steam reviews and everyone just kept talking about the weird sex stuff and how it detracted from the game

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.

Skyscraper posted:

How does one play this in 2019? I looked into this a while back but couldn't figure out how to get the uncut version.

Unrelated, but I'd be happy if rockstar re-released The Warriors on PC.

You have to download the uncut version. Just google Manhunt 2 Uncut PC. I don't know how :filez: this is because I own the original version but I'll remove the post if it's against the rules.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

dogstile posted:

I just read about it on here rather than steam reviews and everyone just kept talking about the weird sex stuff and how it detracted from the game
Oh, I thought you badly received critically. Yeah, the sex stuff is weird and the implied homophobia of the whole "ooooh, look at them dicks, so icky and horrible" motif that repeatedly crops up in the first game especially is part of what turned me off from it.

Disposable Scud posted:

You have to download the uncut version. Just google Manhunt 2 Uncut PC. I don't know how :filez: this is because I own the original version but I'll remove the post if it's against the rules.
"Blood patches" and such are generally considered legal enough to not be worth prosecuting and sites that distribute them don't usually get the warez site treatment, although a lot of them technically contain enough files from a copyrighted game to count. However, since nobody can really use those files to play the game unless they already own it, I think it ought to be fine under the same rules as discussion about emulators.

Cardiovorax fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Oct 22, 2019

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Outlast is in the high 70s low 80s in game rankings and Metacritic

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
And Fortnite hovers around 80%. Metacritic means nothing

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

megalodong posted:

you all ready for more of the agony devs?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pae3JCyFgLs

Man, that's loving ugly, whenever you can actually see what's going on. Which is what I recall seeing from Agony.

Hell filled with horns, tits, bones and lava is by far the least interesting way to depict hell.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Cardiovorax posted:

It was? I thought it was fairly positively received. Got some really high ratings on Steam, anyway.

Depends on the audience you're talking about. A lot of mainstream and casual horror fans loved it and it sold a bunch of copies, but it was also criticized for being almost completely reliant on jump scares and having too much uncomfortable sex stuff.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

Bogart posted:

And Fortnite hovers around 80%. Metacritic means nothing

I’ve seen good reviews for fortnite. For example it has an 80 on Metacritic

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Disposable Scud posted:

Ah, ok, thanks.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
outlast 1 did some interesting things well and scored heavily with the streamer crowd, but as people mulled over it they got pretty unhappy with its passivity, some gameplay and conveyance inconsistencies, and some underlying Not Great gender and mental illness elements. It was still seen as doing some things quite well, and people were stoked for the sequel.

outlast 2 proved that the devs had no drat idea what they were doing the first time around and basically got lucky. It's incredihorrible and offensive in all the worst ways.

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

Man Layers of Fear 2 is certainly making me feel some type of way

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
Monstrum is clenching my butthole.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I hope the Monstrum devs can make a sequel some day that is basically just Monstrum but more.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Discendo Vox posted:

outlast 1 did some interesting things well and scored heavily with the streamer crowd, but as people mulled over it they got pretty unhappy with its passivity, some gameplay and conveyance inconsistencies, and some underlying Not Great gender and mental illness elements. It was still seen as doing some things quite well, and people were stoked for the sequel.

outlast 2 proved that the devs had no drat idea what they were doing the first time around and basically got lucky. It's incredihorrible and offensive in all the worst ways.
Well, I feel very vindicated about disliking them now, so that's good.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

FirstAidKite posted:

I hope the Monstrum devs can make a sequel some day that is basically just Monstrum but more.

Apparently they're already working on Monstrum 2, except it's a 4v1 multiplayer game that sounds a lot like a lot of other asymmetric multiplayer horror games. So you might be waiting a while.

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls

megalodong posted:

It's exactly like Agony: repetitive and trying way too hard.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Apparently they're already working on Monstrum 2, except it's a 4v1 multiplayer game that sounds a lot like a lot of other asymmetric multiplayer horror games. So you might be waiting a while.

Noooooooooo

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Discendo Vox posted:

RE7 is the best Outlast

woodenchicken
Aug 19, 2007

Nap Ghost

Sid Vicious posted:

Man Layers of Fear 2 is certainly making me feel some type of way
Is it "numb" ?

I don't know how you can make a carnival thrill-ride actually sleep-inducing, but they somehow manage it. It doesn't even use its theme for any kind of scares this time. Ships are creepy! Cinematography is creepy! Do something with it! -Nah, please enjoy these mannequins and vague background monologue tia.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
From what I gathered while playing Outlast, one big problem with it, outside of its treatment of certain subject matter like mental illness, is simply that it's too much, all the time. You find rooms full of corpses, limbs stuffed into toilets, blood (and probably feces) smeared across every wall. It becomes dull as a result, and nothing has any shock value. Well, except the fuckin' weird-rear end ending revelations.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

remember when outlast 2's advertising involves selling diapers

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

The Saddest Rhino posted:

remember when outlast 2's advertising involves selling diapers

Yeah cause it's a pile of poo poo ho ho ho

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Morpheus posted:

From what I gathered while playing Outlast, one big problem with it, outside of its treatment of certain subject matter like mental illness, is simply that it's too much, all the time. You find rooms full of corpses, limbs stuffed into toilets, blood (and probably feces) smeared across every wall. It becomes dull as a result, and nothing has any shock value. Well, except the fuckin' weird-rear end ending revelations.

That’s the core problem with Agony. At a certain point you become desensitized to shock, and Agony blows its load (not necessarily metaphorically) within 5 minutes and then tries to stay at that level forever. It’s like how after a while you stop noticing the jackhammer outside and can even sleep through it.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

My biggest takeaway from Agony is something most won’t remember because they didn’t play it, watch it, or watch long enough to see a thorough LPer like John Wolfe even find this: part of the game’s busywork are collectibles shaped like Venus figurines. The one people recognize most is Venus of Willendorf, but over 100 of these figures have been found, most over 25,000 years old. They’re all shaped like women.

Someone working on Agony absolutely knew what they were doing. Maybe it was mere convenience because all the collectibles look like jpeg swipes from a web search, but it’s not a random choice.

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA

megalodong posted:

Well it's already a step up from Agony (such great heights) by virtue of including the Dark Messiah of Might & Magic kick. There is no game in history that couldn't be improved by the ability to mercilessly punt your enemies off cliffs, into environmental hazards, down stairs, etc.

If Outlast 2 had let me kick the cult members into their flaming crucifixes and saved four hours of aimless sprinting through forests and abandoned mines it would've been like twice as good (again, such great heights).

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Holy poo poo the fetus thing in that video I can't even believe this poo poo game is real

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Agony was already a game of massively eyerolly trying-too-hard edginess, not even surprised.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

What a piece of loving garbage

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

oldpainless posted:

What a piece of loving garbage

More like oldabsolutelycorrect.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Here, play something happy and funny instead of the demon fetus sex game.

:ohno: SPOOKY GAMES 6: Hellseeker :ohno:

1. Apsulov: End of Gods
2. Conarium
3. TAMASHII
4. Apparition
5. Secrets of the Maw (DLC)
6. Bad Dream: Coma
7. They Breathe
8. The Final Station
9. Love, Sam
10. Pacify
11. Return of the Obra Dinn
12. Silver Chains
13. Bad Dream: Fever
14. DISTRAINT 2
15. Pamali: Indonesian Folklore Horror
16. Tormentum - Dark Sorrow
17. The Light Keeps Us Safe
18. Kalaban
19. Verde Station
20. Evil
21. Stygian: Reign of the Old Ones
22. Watch This!

23. The Darkside Detective

Meta-humor is a tough thing to get right in any medium, and in video games it can very easily fall flat. Characters that are too aware of their setting or harp too much on tropes often become part of the tropes they’re lampooning. The Darkside Detective has no such troubles, using its meta-humor as just a small part of it’s hilarious writing. Coupled with some solid point-and-click adventuring, charmingly chunky graphics, and surprisingly in-depth world building, this makes for one of the most pleasant games to features ghosts and occult beasts in ages.

Detective Francis McQueen heads up the Darkside Division, a department of the Twin Lakes Police focused on handling paranormal threats. It’s not a particularly glamorous job, confiscating forbidden texts and sealing portals to the great beyond, but it’s a living. Paired with his dim-witted but lovable partner Dooley, McQueen will face all manner of unnatural occurrences both on police business and just going about his daily routine. Twin Lakes is a city with plenty of secrets, after all, and with every case McQueen closes, he gets closer to understanding the nature of the supernatural and its source, the otherworldly Darkside.

Most games that want to riff on paranormal antics would probably stick to established notions of ghosts and monsters, but not The Darkside Detective. Most of the evil that you’ll face is sourced from the Darkside, a sort of mirror dimension populated by spirit images of the living and far nastier things. There’s still plenty of Scooby-Doo-esque investigating to do, as disgruntled or careless folk around town tend to run afoul of the Darkside, but there’s plenty of lore spent on explaining what this other world is and how it works. I won’t spoil any of it but it’s equal parts goofy and creepy, a perfect fit for this lighthearted romp.

The puzzling itself is very streamlined pointing and clicking. In every scene McQueen and Dooley stand at the ready for you to examine objects, pick up objects, and question other characters objectively. There are no big dialog trees or complex puzzles here, just working out how to check alibis and making sure you find the keys and matches and blacklight markers needed to progress. I very much prefer adventure games where I don’t get stuck for long, and while the later chapters have more elaborate and sometimes hard to follow puzzles, it was a fine progression from tutorial-level problems to that. You also get some very helpfully pointed dialog from characters when you’re in the middle of a puzzle you really should have solved already.

You’ll have six main cases to solve, each taking about 15 to 20 minutes or so to complete. The highly-motivated developers have also added three bonus cases, which should extend the gameplay significantly. Honestly I’m struggling to come up with any complaints about this one, as it seems to thread a lot of needles other adventure games get stuck on. The puzzles are simple and fun, the game looks and sounds great, and the writing is top-notch for video game comedy. There have been more than a few lines that elicited hearty chuckles from me, and even the jokes that don’t quite land have clearly been worked up by folks who clearly love the material and want you to love McQueen and Dooley as much as they do. And that should be very, very easy because they’re in almost every scene together and you can chat with Dooley about what’s going on nearly every time you see him.

The Darkside Detective is the kind of game that’s perfect to brighten your spirits for quick bursts at a time. You’ll want to take your time with this one, savor the sights, and explore all your options to help turn up some of the more obscure achievements. At its core it’s just really fun, charming in all the right ways and never trying too hard to be funny, meaningful, or anything else. It’s definitely one of the most pleasant point-and-clicks I’ve played in a long while, so if you’re a fan of the lighter side of police work and paranormal sightings, you’ll want to start exploring the Darkside immediately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

It's a shame because I'm a fan of Doom and normally I'd be all over fire and brimstone screaming hellscape stuff. But it's this instead.