Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

So did the owlship go into mass production for police forces or was that a painted Archie? Wonder where the sheriff go the training to know how to push it to the limits

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

There's a "Pirate Jenny" listed in the credits. What character is that? The owlship pilot? Cops can just take on superhero names in this show?

All of the ranked officers, except for the chief, have costumes and code names.

Sister Night
Red Scare
Looking Glass
Pirate Jenny
Panda

The beat cops just have masks.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Crudup was on Fallon last night. As far as I can tell, he’s got no projects to plug right now, so I am just assuming the return of Blue Dong is nigh.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Klungar posted:

Since I didn’t see anyone else say it, I will: I think “Veidt” is actually Dr. Manhattan and his servants are life forms he said he was going to go off and create. The transition from the stars in the sky to the Scottish moors is actually to show that this is taking place on some other planet Dr. M hosed off to to play God. The Dr. M playing in the sand on Mars is just a copy to make humanity think he’s otherwise occupied. The anniversary referenced is not of Squid Day, but the intrinsic field accident.
Yay, this was my take too. Definitely didn't feel like Ozymandias at least.

I loved how the pod was set up as some badass Next Level Interrogation and then really it's just a guy yelling at a suspect, getting no meaningful result, and being like "I've got a hunch! Welp, time to torture him"

EDIT: Oh also, was Don Johnson maybe eager to shoot down the plane to make sure no survivors could snitch on him being involved in both sides of the conflict?

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
:lol: you loving goons thinking that the masked cops who black bag people without authority or punishment and then torture them (probably to death?) ~on a hunch~ are the :turianass: good guys. :turianass:

pro-tip: fasc cops vs kkk militia is spiderman meme and they're all shitsquibs. :shrug:

Gonz posted:

Crudup was on Fallon last night. As far as I can tell, he’s got no projects to plug right now, so I am just assuming the return of Blue Dong is nigh.

It'd be interesting to cast someone from the movie when they are continuing the graphic novel instead.

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí

Martman posted:

I loved how the pod was set up as some badass Next Level Interrogation and then really it's just a guy yelling at a suspect, getting no meaningful result, and being like "I've got a hunch! Welp, time to torture him"

The music was loving cool in there, wonder if the cops just hang out some times sitting on bean bags.

Ross DaouThot
Aug 31, 2018

when i hit that loud and open cspam the adam curtis music starts playing

Gonz posted:

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Oh and for the record, summary of the Black Freighter:

-guy gets shipwrecked by evil monster pirates, sees they're going to his hometown
-guy gets to his hometown, having gone mad on his journey, and kills his wife and others in an insane rage believing them to be either monsters or collaborators
-guy realizes the Black Freighter never made it to his hometown (or never even existed)
-guy flees town, sees the Black Freighter and swims out to it, where he joins their ranks

Then Ozymandias, at the end of the book, says:

quote:

By day I imagine endless faces. By night... Well, I dream about swimming towards a hideous... no. Never mind.
Do the math folks. Ozymandias is the dude who went nuts and committed the exact evils he thought he was preventing.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Nail Rat posted:

Yeah it is bad, I said so. And that dodges the question, putting yourself in his shoes, if you knew it was either extinction or a couple million dead, would you choose extinction? Keeping in mind he may also very well be insane, the Cold War also definitely appeared to be barreling that way in the comic. It's not entirely unreasonable that extinction was inevitable in that circumstance.

Whatever the case, Veidt absolutely fails on the "making himself feel every death" because instead of killing himself or becoming a monk or something after this, he continues to live in opulent wealth.

He doesn't *know* poo poo though. The fact that he makes that decision while dismissing that pesky little "but what if I'm wrong about what I think will happen?" voice (if indeed he even has that voice) is absolutely central to who he is as a character.

Nail Rat posted:

This is pretty much what I'm getting at. He's so sure about "the math" yet somehow he thought that he could blow Dr. Manhattan apart. He's not as infallible as he thinks, but he certainly thinks he is.

This by the way is very important when critically consuming media, and speaking from some recent work experience equally applicable in real life: don't confuse confidence with competence.

Just because someone very authoritatively and confidentally keeps stating how brilliant they are doesn't mean they actually are. We've seen Veidt and his math fail. Why should we trust him to be right this time? Especially given what is at stake?

Orange Devil fucked around with this message at 10:26 on Oct 23, 2019

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

Why is Ozymandias British now? In the book he was born in America to german refugees. Something’s weird with that beyond allowances for good casting, since he’s also in a conspicuously British Isles setting inconsistent with the source material—and if there’s a whole location unit in Wales for his scenes, there will probably be a lot of action there. Obviously, the perfect villain for a black American hero is an old British man in a mansion in Britain.

I'd need to rewatch it but it didn't strike me as a British accent so much as an older Transatlantic accent which definitely makes sense for the character.

Also re: the show being pro-cop, even disregarding the interrogation scene, the show already makes the turn at the very end of this episode when the "villain" is revealed to have been an elderly wheelchair-bound black man who has clearly born the scars of the Tulsa his whole life. I definitely don't have any doubts that this is where the show is going considering the opening scene.

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames
I really don't think Jeremy Irons is Manhattan. You know, since he isn't glowing blue with beaming white eyes.

I'd be surprised if he weren't Veidt.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
If the dong doesn't glow
You're bad at watching show

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Preston Waters posted:

I really don't think Jeremy Irons is Manhattan. You know, since he isn't glowing blue with beaming white eyes.

I'd be surprised if he weren't Veidt.

He can change atoms and poo poo, he could change his skin color and appearance if he wanted.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

KoRMaK posted:

He can change atoms and poo poo, he could change his skin color and appearance if he wanted.

He gave himself a fair lump in the old smurf smugglers though

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
What in god's name does that mean

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

There is also the possibility that Viedt Manhattaned himself and stepped into the Intrinsic Field subtractor at some point.

But, why then, did the servent give Jeremy Irons a pocket watch? Wouldn't that kind of gift have way more meaning to Dr Manhattan? His dad was a watch maker.

Rocksicles posted:

He gave himself a fair lump in the old smurf smugglers though
I'm pretty sure he was beyond such trivial things after spending an eternity figuring out how to bring himself back together after the IF accident

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Milo and POTUS posted:

KoRMaK posted:

I'm pretty sure he was beyond such trivial things after spending an eternity figuring out how to bring himself back together after the IF accident

It was a scandal for a hot minute that he had a bit of a piece.

https://www.vulture.com/2009/02/outrage_watchmen_movies_dr_man.html

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Milo and POTUS posted:

penus

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

I’m leaning towards the idea that he’s dr manhattan because it would make the line “I wanted to surprise you” laughably naive.

Also the weird thing about Manhattan is that he fucks. He’s supposedly a Demi god above human concerns but he has girlfriends and dumps one when she gets too old for him so he clearly has human emotions and interests even if he’s somewhat detached from them. So hanging out riding horses and getting massages wouldn’t be totally out of character.

massive spider fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Oct 23, 2019

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames

KoRMaK posted:

This would be pretty stupid and a cop-out by the show. There's literally no reason for him to do that other than obvious misdirection which breaks the 4th wall like crazy

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Preston Waters posted:

This would be pretty stupid and a cop-out by the show. There's literally no reason for him to do that other than obvious misdirection which breaks the 4th wall like crazy

What's the reason for the show to not just say that Jeremy Irons is Veidt if he actually is Veidt? The only reason to play games with a character's identity while having a blaring sign over their head that they are one character is if it is all a misdirect and they are another character altogether.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Preston Waters posted:

It would signal a pretty big shift in his character from the last time we saw him in the original comic but it's been a long time. If the show actually explained and showed the how/why of John imitating life like that while living on mars or something I'd be down for it.

They can't play it completely out of left field and expect it to fly but there is an entire season left to at least establish there ARE reasons, it's not impossible.

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009
Am I wrong, or did the shot of Dr. Manhattan on Mars show him building a replica of Veidt's castle estate hideout and turning it into dust?

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009

Klungar posted:

What's the reason for the show to not just say that Jeremy Irons is Veidt if he actually is Veidt? The only reason to play games with a character's identity while having a blaring sign over their head that they are one character is if it is all a misdirect and they are another character altogether.

What kind of TV shows do this to people's brains.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Immanentized posted:

Am I wrong, or did the shot of Dr. Manhattan on Mars show him building a replica of Veidt's castle estate hideout and turning it into dust?

It did. Also in the preview the long-haired kid has a dollhouse-sized model of it in his room.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Immanentized posted:

Yeah, that was the first thing I noticed about it...they framed each shot in the same way, giving it the same perspective, so it seems intentional.

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

KoRMaK posted:

he's still a man gdi. makes sense.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Preston Waters posted:

He's trying to blend in as one of his creations amongst his creations. He doesn't want to completely make himself look like a loving god in front of them.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
I’m kind of tired of shows trying their hardest to twist and misdirect so I hope he’s just Veidt and Manhattan will come into play in some other way.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Immanentized posted:

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Yeah, that was the first thing I noticed about it...they framed each shot in the same way, giving it the same perspective, so it seems intentional.

Yes exactly. Lets not call him Veidt yet tho, too confusing, he's just Jeremy Irons so far. There was also that transition, which someone already pointed out. They went from stars at the end of the archie crash scene to a rock/stone pathway that Jeremy Irons was ring on. Like, how could they telegraph it any harder that they just cut to a scene off planet. They looked up at the stars and we were then thrust into a new scene.

Here's what I think is going to happen with that char. The Dr Manhattan we see in the TV was in the early states of building life still (why he is on mars and not already very far away like he said he would be at the end of the comic book I dunno, but maybe he stayed on mars for a couple decades).

Ok so he is experimenting on Mars. Then, much later and farther away he gets his first couple iterations of terraforming a planet and putting beings on it and is currently living amongst them and making the re-experience certain parts of human society's evolution. Remember, Dr Manhattan's story is non-linear, so just because we see Dr Manhattan on Mars and doing rudiemetry stuff doesn't mean we can't also see him much futher along in the same ep. They could just be time jumping and not telling us to tell the story. It also may explain the squid rain - Dr Mahattan is nearby and he may be producing them to keep the fear of the Squid Monster in peoples minds.

So, Dr Mahattan's story can used as a jumping around tool for the narrators, like the man in black in WestWorld Season 1.

There is the possibility though that Viedt realized what it took to make Dr Mahattan, and made himself a manhattan like figure by stepping into the IF field thingy. Remember what he did to his pet cat in Antarctica? He could have done it to himself inbetween the end of the movie and now.

KoRMaK fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Oct 23, 2019

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

I took screenshots of some of the great shots or just interesting pieces of info being displayed

There's are from the BladeRunner-esque test obviously. So, meant to instigate and aggitate the subject.

Don't tread on me/confederate flag. How is this already not a real flag?? Or at least one that the flag twitter bot has crossed over. The Calvary is like some qanon poo poo. And like qanon, seems like they get some things right (physic alien hoax) and some things wrong

squid to provoke fear, anger

original 50 stars. Seems like in this world it must be like clinging to the confederate flag

New Flag, with more stars I'm assuming. Must be after vietnam became a state (and maybe some others!)

post of an old timey suit, in the racists' HQ, with supe who caught a black kid. Must be a memorial to the good old days for them

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
Even discounting time fuckery, Dr Manhattan can also be in multiple places at once, like that scene where he’s banging Laurie and working on a machine at the same time

E: someone already pointed this out, guess I should read more carefully

Colonel Whitey fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Oct 23, 2019

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Star field transition (would probably be a better one to gif)

Blueman on Mars

Iron's Castle

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Mercrom posted:

What kind of TV shows do this to people's brains.

Lost.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
So I'm assuming with 400+ posts in this thread that Watchmen is very worth watching?

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Colonel Whitey posted:

Even discounting time fuckery, Dr Manhattan can also be in multiple places at once, like that scene where he’s banging Laurie and working on a machine at the same time

E: someone already pointed this out, guess I should read more carefully
Exactly, there's like multiple backup explanations that align with what we KNOW for sure about Manhattan to indicate it's him. There's none for Viedt, it's just speculation. Combine that with all the nods to the comic books, and I think it's giving us a compass heading on how much we can infer and trust is still canon from the comic and can be considered for projecting guesses about the series.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

SalTheBard posted:

So I'm assuming with 400+ posts in this thread that Watchmen is very worth watching?

It is, but I don't know why you'd assume that from the post count

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
You know, thinking about all this Veidt/Manhattan/castle stuff... I think it's way simpler than all that. Viedt wants to become Dr. Manhattan.

It's the next logical move for The Smartest Man on Earth. If Dr. Manhattan is going to go off an create his own human life, Veidt will, too. If Dr. Manhattan builds a castle on Mars, Veidt will build the same castle here on Earth to do the same work. He's aping his idol.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

SalTheBard posted:

Watch the 6 hours of the motion comic first and then when you get to the end and forget why you started watch it you'll be elated that there is now new content

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mLdqKIj3-A0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kgsRhyJQXPg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FqFC8h1ABvU&t=3s
There's 12 of these, you'll find them by following youtube suggestions

This alt shift x is pretty great too
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJmg0uc3CjY

aight i gotta stop postin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

feedmyleg posted:

You know, thinking about all this Veidt/Manhattan/castle stuff... I think it's way simpler than all that. Viedt wants to become Dr. Manhattan.

It's the next logical move for The Smartest Man on Earth. If Dr. Manhattan is going to go off an create his own human life, Veidt will, too. If Dr. Manhattan builds a castle on Mars, Veidt will build the same castle here on Earth to do the same work. He's aping his idol.
Or Viedt turn himself into a manhattan type figure by going through the same process that manhattan did. Viedt had the machine for it, and he used it on Manhattan and his cat. Either way, I think Jeremy Iron's is playing a post IF subtractor subject character