Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

I didn't take it in part because he immediately came across as slimy and corrupt, a corruptor. Another reason is because I knew how much my debt was - 130 Real. You get the impression that he also knows how much your bill is, and that the cheque won't make a dent in it. It's not merely a bribe, but a comically small bribe.

But but... It's on a big novelty cheque! How can the amount be small, smart guy?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Digital Osmosis
Nov 10, 2002

Smile, Citizen! Happiness is Mandatory.

Synthbuttrange posted:

Yup, you missed out big time

Ah, drat! Well, I'll see if I can go back and un-sequence-break that just for the showdown.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Well I stubbed my toe and died of a heart attack :allears:.

i tried to read a very thick book and died after 10 pages.

Digital Osmosis posted:

Oh, and what the hell was the point of the necktie? It had me make it into a molotov cocktail and then uh, nothing happened. Maybe I sequence broke it? This happened after the shootout - could I have used it then?

you have to arm the molotov before the tribunal, the necktie even gives you a headsup when it's time

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Is there any way to convince the bookstore lady that the curse isn't real?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Why would you lie? :(

Perhaps a hamster
Jun 15, 2010

Palpek posted:

gently caress, I literally just declined that thought.

It's okay, you can still do speed and the encouraging thoughts will come back.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Synthbuttrange posted:

Why would you lie? :(

Because when I tried to go with the *truth* I ended up taking off my pants in front of a young lady and she was freaked out.

Fat Samurai fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Oct 23, 2019

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
I'm assuming no one went with the racism thoughts because who wants to be a racist? But I wonder what kind of consequences there are for that kind of stuff.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name
Your partner probably hates you then.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

I'm assuming no one went with the racism thoughts because who wants to be a racist? But I wonder what kind of consequences there are for that kind of stuff.

Bonuses weren't that great anyway. It was promptly binned in lieu of another, more useful thought.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

I've done a casual racism run. The main consequence seems to be a number of racist options, ranging from merely old-fashioned to holy poo poo, dude, pop up in dialogue and saying them annoys the hell out of Kim but ultimately makes dealing with actual racists easier because you can get buddy-buddy with them. I still managed to be really good friends with Kim while maintaining a "grandpa, no" level of racism, but I have yet to do an advanced racism run where I get totally onboard with the concept of phrenology and that seems like it'd make it impossible because some of the dialogue options you get allow you to be really unbelievably racist.

weirdly chilly pussy
Oct 6, 2007

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

+1 conceptualization, no consequences unless you start picking racist dialog options.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
I'm sad nobody comments on the boombox I'm carrying around on my shoulder.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
I uh... do people in this world KNOW about the Pale? I read a book about it and then I talked to Joyce about it It seems like.. a problem?? :stare:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Shoehead posted:

I uh... do people in this world KNOW about the Pale? I read a book about it and then I talked to Joyce about it It seems like.. a problem?? :stare:

Where'd you get the book about it? :O

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
hell yeah
https://twitter.com/SWAIM_CORP/status/1186031161115459584

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Synthbuttrange posted:

There's a book in the bookstore, up on the second level. I thought it was some bullshit mystic self help type thing but one of my thoughts noted that it kept mentioning something called the Pale and exposing yourself to it but neglected to say what it actually was.

I should go check on it now that I *know*

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

Shoehead posted:

it is. if you asked Kim to stand aside as Joyce explains to you about the Pale, he comes back to tell you that it's a problem people has been dealing with (incl existentially) for thousands of years and he's surprised your memory loss has completely removed knowledge of it too. It's convenient we're playing an amnesiac who knows absolute poo poo!

Synthbuttrange posted:

One of the shelves in the bookstore that looks like it's about remedies and ailments.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

Shoehead posted:

There's a book in the bookstore, up on the second level. I thought it was some bullshit mystic self help type thing but one of my thoughts noted that it kept mentioning something called the Pale and exposing yourself to it but neglected to say what it actually was.

I should go check on it now that I *know*

reading the book again doesn't do much (unless you really want some ginger whisky) but you should talk to the trucker again

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Shoehead posted:

I uh... do people in this world KNOW about the Pale?

yes, everyone knows, but they also mostly deliberately avoid thinking about the ramifications of its existence

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Lol, Drama gets so pissy and petty if you manage to convince it Klaasje has been manipulating it.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Broken Cog posted:

Lol, Drama gets so pissy and petty if you manage to convince it Klaasje has been manipulating it.

passing a check to have a voice in your head convince one of your other head voices that something was up was pretty great, and it is funny how Drama instantly 180s from being madly in love with her to absolutely hating her guts if you do this

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

:unsmith:

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
Got through my first playthrough. Think I got a pretty good ending overall considering I was a physical instrument / darklight terminator.

I 100% solved the case - and I got to discover the new species. The only loose ends were that I didn't have good knowledge on who made the call to the cops, and I couldn't match the Deserter's footprints to the ones behind the room.

Looking forward to playing again and seeing how different things can get.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

Palpek posted:

Man, I want to finish the game on my current build but I'm not extremely consistent in my answers to people, like sometimes I'm a commie and sometimes centrist, sometimes a nihilist or something else - I don't know how this really influences my playthrough.

I'd also like to play through the game with all 3 dev-made builds to see what kind of rides they prepared for us but then also try out some specific gimmick builds. But that's not realistic, it's too many! I don't even know how different those playthroughs would be and if it's worth it.

Yeah, it's hard to say how many playthroughs you can get out of it before it all looks the same.

I'm on my third playthrough, and I think as long as you internalize different thoughts and max out different skills, and pick the dialogue options those skills and thoughts unlock, you get wildly different dialogue. The end result for all the sidequests don't necessarily change that much.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

I couldn't match the footprints to the ones behind the room.

the explanation Kim came to for this honestly seems like the most logical one: people can own more than one pair of shoes

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?

chaosapiant posted:

Edit: If there's one thing I'd like to see this game have, it's a hard core mode where there is only auto and exit saves, no skill re-does, and no way to go back into dialogue trees if you missed something. I wonder if it's even feasible to play that way, but it seems this game of all games it should be.
I want a Realistic Hard mode where your starting stats and skill points are allocated randomly, all inner voices are anonymized and all thoughts are automatically internalized as you acquire them.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Ephemeron posted:

I want a Realistic Hard mode where your starting stats and skill points are allocated randomly, all inner voices are anonymized and all thoughts are automatically internalized as you acquire them.
me irl

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

Ephemeron posted:

This would be p cool

I'm really relly enjoying just pottering about in this game to the extent where I don't know if I'm going to gently caress myself over and miss story critical stuff.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Honestly I would just like a mode where I can choose my starting skills more freely without being so rigidly tied to the main four stats, you could still choose the value for it but they would still set the limit for learning them

but then that would require them to rebalance the thoughts and other stuff so I'm guessing it's never gonna happen

SOME kind of alternate mode would be really cool though

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

cock hero flux posted:

the explanation Kim came to for this honestly seems like the most logical one: people can own more than one pair of shoes

It still strikes me as unlikely. We know he left the island for food and such - but this dude just wandering around the WiR, especially in the kitchen area which was relatively controlled, seems unlikely. I'm thinking the footprints were just the chef or someone harmlessly beating off.

Char
Jan 5, 2013

cock hero flux posted:

I've done a casual racism run. The main consequence seems to be a number of racist options, ranging from merely old-fashioned to holy poo poo, dude, pop up in dialogue and saying them annoys the hell out of Kim but ultimately makes dealing with actual racists easier because you can get buddy-buddy with them. I still managed to be really good friends with Kim while maintaining a "grandpa, no" level of racism, but I have yet to do an advanced racism run where I get totally onboard with the concept of phrenology and that seems like it'd make it impossible because some of the dialogue options you get allow you to be really unbelievably racist.

I'm at like 31 Fascist right now.
The bonuses suck - 1 morale damage every time you discuss politics is really a problem.
Also, noone really gets alienated, it's like people are USED to discussing things with self proclaimed fascists! But, I got buddy buddy with people with qualms with women.

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador

Hub Cat posted:

what??

Dead husband is married to the worker woman, they just live in the same apartment complex

I had thought one of the beach hoboes was her husband. I guess I misinterpreted the library call for the dead guy, I had thought it all but confirmed he had a husband. Also the sunday friend had no useful information to provide despite a fairly long conversation tree.

bobvonunheil
Mar 18, 2007

Board games and tea
If you want a vision of the future, imagine a weedy teen yelling "Hardcore!" at an amnesiac detective - forever.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

I seem to be stuck. It's Day 2 at midnight, i've exhausted almost everyone's dialogue, and I don't have the money to pay for my room. I can't sleep on the bench outside to sleep because Kim is still here. I could try talking to klaaje but she's not in her room now. Walking doesn't seem to be moving the clock, so I can't wait til 2. Any help would be appreciated.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

SardonicTyrant posted:

I seem to be stuck. It's Day 2 at midnight, i've exhausted almost everyone's dialogue, and I don't have the money to pay for my room. I can't sleep on the bench outside to sleep because Kim is still here. I could try talking to klaaje but she's not in her room now. Walking doesn't seem to be moving the clock, so I can't wait til 2. Any help would be appreciated.

Look for coins, go beg the rich lady at the boat for money, savescum to open the container at the harbor, cheat, or reload an earlier save. Not having enough money to pay rent at the end of day 2 is the one part of the game where it fails at giving you alternatives.

Digital Osmosis
Nov 10, 2002

Smile, Citizen! Happiness is Mandatory.

So, after sleeping on it, I have questions about Ruby. Basically, why exactly was she "framed?" It seems like Klaasje threw her to you / pretended she came up with the cover-up as a completely last ditch effort to avoid you arresting her. Thing is, it wouldn't really have worked if Ruby didn't rabbit the second you rolled into town. Ruby was afraid of you mostly because she knew about you, it seemed a combination of her being genuinely aware you're a good detective and also being afraid you were on the take from her old boss. Seems to me that if either of those were true her best bet would still be to stand with the other Hardie boys and hope there were too many to arrest. I mean, what did she know specifically that the other Hardies didn't? They must have known he was dead before they hung him, right? So basically all Ruby has that they don't is the knowledge that it was Klaasje's idea to do the hanging cover-up in the first place. She's constantly portrayed as the smartest Hardie, but it really seems like running only put her in A LOT more danger.

On the other hand someone's fear getting the best of them and making them into a prime suspect for no goddamn reason is pretty goddamn noir.

Digital Osmosis fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Oct 23, 2019

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

It still strikes me as unlikely. We know he left the island for food and such - but this dude just wandering around the WiR, especially in the kitchen area which was relatively controlled, seems unlikely. I'm thinking the footprints were just the chef or someone harmlessly beating off.

He literally admits to making the hole and watching

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
ruby isn't really a hardie and, rightfully, didn't really trust the rest of the boys to stand with her or not give her up. it's not like they are snitches, you have to work to get the info out of the boys. but they are kinda dumb, if they were entirely tight lipped then she'd be safe and ruby didn't want to risk it. she was better off on her own in the fishing camp, and then with her weird death ray trap

i dunno if ruby was framed so much as the player character, ace detective, posed the ruby theory and everyone just sort of agreed with that, but i could be remembering incorrectly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

luxury handset posted:

ruby isn't really a hardie and, rightfully, didn't really trust the rest of the boys to stand with her or not give her up. it's not like they are snitches, you have to work to get the info out of the boys. but they are kinda dumb, if they were entirely tight lipped then she'd be safe and ruby didn't want to risk it. she was better off on her own in the fishing camp, and then with her weird death ray trap

i dunno if ruby was framed so much as the player character, ace detective, posed the ruby theory and everyone just sort of agreed with that, but i could be remembering incorrectly

yeah thats the impression I got. pre-meltdown harry was already putting together the flaws in the hanging story and she heard the rumors and assumed she'd be blamed