Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

Abner Assington posted:

It's really genuinely horrifying how much poo poo has happened in the last three years that I can't remember.
I awoke from The Trump at the age of thirty-four, calm and sane, and in reasonably good health except for a weakened liver and the look of borrowed flesh common to all who survive The Trump. . . . Most survivors do not remember the delirium in detail. I apparently took detailed notes on sickness and delirium.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
Studends

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

The best people

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Tibalt posted:

I awoke from The Trump at the age of thirty-four, calm and sane, and in reasonably good health except for a weakened liver and the look of borrowed flesh common to all who survive The Trump. . . . Most survivors do not remember the delirium in detail. I apparently took detailed notes on sickness and delirium.

Trump is the ideal product...the ultimate merchandise. No sales talk necessary. The Republican will crawl through a sewer and beg to buy...the Trump merchant does not sell his product to the consumer, he sells the consumer to his product. He does not improve and simplify his merchandise. He degrades and simplifies the client. He pays his staff in Trump.

Involuntary Sparkle
Aug 12, 2004

Chemo-kitties can have “accidents” too!

Data Graham posted:

I'm the "and 3 min 20 sec" instead of "in 3 min 20 sec". The computational complexity understander has logged on

Alternatively I'm the nationalistic "supremacy" framing on a thing which should be hailed as an achievement for, like, humanity or something

She's competing against Barron for most knowledgeable of the cyber.

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

It's just such a stupid thing to go down for. Why invest so much time and energy into getting Ukraine to do this?

To make his 2016 win seem more impressive.
To take out a 2020 democratic candidate before they have a nominee.

Both worth virtually nothing.

Am I missing something?

pacerhimself
Dec 30, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Middle tweet of a Twitter thread, you hate to see it

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

DeeplyConcerned posted:

Public prisons have the same problem. The prison guard union in California was the biggest driver behind the prison boom there and the three strikes law. That was all public unions.

Private prisons are usually shittier than public ones though. Just saying rooting out all private prisons isn’t going to stop the mass incarceration problem or even put the brakes on it.

You’ve answered your own question that a private prison will be shittier. And it’s for the simple reason that they will always be looking at ways to cut costs. That’s the business model.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

Bucky Fullminster posted:

It's just such a stupid thing to go down for. Why invest so much time and energy into getting Ukraine to do this?

Am I missing something?

It's stupid on a level that makes me think it's a Guiliani idea.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Am I missing something?

Imagine you are a wannabe oligarch trying to solidify power.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Yeah I need the Steve Coll deep dive into what the connections between the GOP and Ukraine are in all this because I spend literally hours a day following all this and I feel lost at times.

tek79
Jun 16, 2008

I really don't think he was, and is, capable of understanding the severity of it. It's just not something his mushy brain is able to register.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you

https://mobile.twitter.com/JoeMyGod/status/1186987100022824960

quote:

A trove of documents released Tuesday by the House Education and Labor Committee shows the Education Department provided $10.7 million in federal loans and grants to students at the Illinois Institute of Art and the Art Institute of Colorado even though officials knew the for-profit colleges were not accredited and ineligible to receive such aid.

The documents build on prior reports from the committee describing efforts by Education Department officials to shield Dream Center Education Holdings, owner of the Art Institutes and Argosy University, from the consequences of lying to students about the accreditation of its since-closed schools.

Now it appears the Education Department tried to shield itself from an ill-fated decision to allow millions of dollars to flow to those schools. Rep. Robert C. “Bobby” Scott (D-Va.), chairman of the House Education Committee, is threatening to subpoena Education Secretary Betsy DeVos

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

loving do it.

She melts in testimony.

umbrage
Sep 5, 2007

beast mode

oxsnard posted:

If it makes you feel better, most of the likely Nazis are going to be dead within 20-30 years

They're also the ones that aren't in to (other) women's control over their bodies, contraception, or even basic sex education, so

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.
https://mobile.twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1186985455058898945
https://mobile.twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1186985677176655872

Phobic Nest
Oct 2, 2013

You Are My Sunshine

tek79 posted:

I really don't think he was, and is, capable of understanding the severity of it. It's just not something his mushy brain is able to register.

Crimin' is natural, crimin' is right. Everybody crimes.

But you gotta make sure you're crimin' properly, say the words real good. They'll get ya bad if you don't.

Now some amateurs are sayin' I didn't crime right, nasty liars. Don't they know how many years of crimin' I got under my belt?

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

No need to overthink it. Trump is a brain-wormed idiot who thought he could lean on Ukraine to prove some bullshit conspiracy to help him get re-elected. He was able to try because he either ignored/fired all the smart people and Rudy Fuckin’ Giuliani was running State on this op.

One thing that feels lost in all this is that Ukraine got so totally hosed. They work to get rid of corruption and as they make progress the US President looks at them and goes “uhh..gonna need you to do some crimes now”. That’s not even factoring in how much the lack of US support forced their hand on giving up Crimea.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Data Graham posted:

I'm the "and 3 min 20 sec" instead of "in 3 min 20 sec". The computational complexity understander has logged on

Alternatively I'm the nationalistic "supremacy" framing on a thing which should be hailed as an achievement for, like, humanity or something

Yeah the US government is definitely pushing Quantum Information Science as a space race pseudo-national security kind of thing. As far as I can tell, it’s getting pushed hard from the top, there’s a framing of “the Chinese will get there first so we’ve got to beat them!”, and there’s more suspicion of Chinese citizens who work in science (even when their work isn’t directly related to quantum computers).

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

Of course he's going to take this route.

I shouldn't be surprised, and yet.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

*sigh*

I know it’s Trump and he’s probably making all this poo poo up but is there any evidence for any of these points being true? The ‘recapturing ISIS’ point is particularly unbelievable.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

I am so tired of having to give that orange dipshit the benefit of the doubt over and over and over

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Presumably this is how he interprets "the five day ceasefire is over, Turkey now resuming direct genocide instead of indirect"

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

PIZZA.BAT posted:

*sigh*

I know it’s Trump and he’s probably making all this poo poo up but is there any evidence for any of these points being true? The ‘recapturing ISIS’ point is particularly unbelievable.

There is.

What he didn't mention was that it was negotiated by Assad and Russia.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

PIZZA.BAT posted:

*sigh*

The Secretary of Defense was interviewed this morning and admitted at least 100 prisoners had escaped.

https://twitter.com/jaketapper/status/1186982591758569472

it's just the usual gaslighting

e: tapper's wrong, btw, in that it's "detainees" not necessarily "terrorists." these prisons do include women and children and probably a fair share of noncombatants they just think are associated with ISIS

Luckyellow
Sep 25, 2007

Pillbug

Eeyo posted:

Yeah the US government is definitely pushing Quantum Information Science as a space race pseudo-national security kind of thing. As far as I can tell, it’s getting pushed hard from the top, there’s a framing of “the Chinese will get there first so we’ve got to beat them!”, and there’s more suspicion of Chinese citizens who work in science (even when their work isn’t directly related to quantum computers).

I only heard things from science geeks that quantum computing could potentially easily break all current encryption. I don't have any idea if that's even possible but I'm sure that's how it's being sold to the higher ups.

Wooten
Oct 4, 2004

Hey it's your favorite President! Someone, I won't say who, just told me the Kurds were just playing dead as part of a democrat controlled coup. They all got up and waved at the camera when I made deals with them!

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Am I missing something?

Because he is a self absorbed, petty narcissist. And he is one of the stupidest humans who has ever drawn breath.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Stereotype posted:

While your statement is true, classically you use italics for emphasis, not underlines.

Classically in a typewritten document you underline as a typographical mark to set that portion in italics. It's just really old fashioned in the digital age.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

Luckyellow posted:

I only heard things from science geeks that quantum computing could potentially easily break all current encryption. I don't have any idea if that's even possible but I'm sure that's how it's being sold to the higher ups.

It’s the opposite, afaik. The fundamental issue with encryption is being able to generate random numbers that your opponent can’t predict. This was an essentially impossible problem, because what even is ‘true random’ anyways, until quantum computers allowed us to use a particle’s state as the number generator.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Luckyellow posted:

It makes it a lot faster, but not a surety. Larger encryption schemes will still require significant quantum computing power to handle. Not as much as the x86 machines they are replacing, but still a fair amount.

Encryption schemes have been beefing up expecting the eventual break in quantum computing.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I have to say that back in the day I found it really off-putting when leftists would harp on and on about Bush being stupid. It seemed patently disingenuous on its face — like, okay maybe he's not a Rhodes scholar or whatever, but he seems capable of stringing words and thoughts together and holding to a consistent philosophy, even if it's a bad one. Calling him "stupid" always seemed to miss the point badly, like really, that's your biggest objection to the guy? And drawing parallels between him and Hitler also seemed off the mark; not that many of the hallmarks really seemed to be there. If 2000-2008 America was on a path to Nazidom, it sure was of a wildly different flavor than I would have pictured. It seemed like Bush's opponents were self-defeating, with these characterizations that shot so wide of anything that seemed to fit the facts.

So I've always (or at least since then) been very reluctant to throw around aspersions like "stupid" when talking about people in politics. But god drat, if what's going on now doesn't fit every profile I kept hearing bandied about back then to an exact T, just the way I would have imagined all those leftist objections if they were actually hitting the mark as I would have expected.

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS

PIZZA.BAT posted:

*sigh*

In a nutshell, based on my understanding...

Russia brokered a deal between Turkey and the Assad Regime in Syria. The deal gives Turkey its corridor and lets them do a minor genocide instead of an invasion. No borders will be redrawn, but Kurds still get forcefully removed from the corridor.

Americans are being forced to retreat to Iraq and are being told they have to leave from there. Americans are being shut out of Syria, despite the “we secured The Oil.” My guess is Russia or Turkey has secured the oil and he just means ISIS doesn’t have it?

From a geopolitical standpoint it is real bad. Russia is now the chief power in that region. Putin gets exactly what he wanted.

As for ISIS nobody has any idea. Reports were that we lost thousands of ISIS prisoners as Turkey was shelling the prisons and using the chaos to expedite a Kurdish retreat.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Luckyellow posted:

There is a well-known algorithm that can break public key crypto but the problem is building a quantum computer big enough. Quantum systems are quite fragile and if they interact with the wrong thing all of the useful properties and all of the information disappear.

There are a host of other uses for quantum computers / quantum info, including quantum cryptography which has huge security benefits.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.

Wooten posted:

Hey it's your favorite President! Here are my thoughts on the widely reported news of the mpeachment inquiry which is taking place in the dark.

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

Am I missing something?

Maybe they're doing this for all candidates and they only got caught with this one?

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

Genuinely wonder what he thinks about Morse v. Frederick.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat

PIZZA.BAT posted:

*sigh*

He didn't say recaptured. He said "Captured ISIS prisoners secured.." So they secured the existing captured ISIS prisoners who are still in prison. They're just now MORE secure..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Toilet Paper USA is the one where someone determined that the majority of the people accessing their sites were people over 60

It’s just a Koch-funded ‘think tank’ to target public education