Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
This is why I’m glad Shout! paid money for all the music rights in Freaks and Geeks. That show would have been unwatchable with replacement music. poo poo, one episode has some of the characters going to a Who concert and has like four or five of their songs playing throughout.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

CityMidnightJunky posted:

Possibly, I'm half remembering a novel I read 20 years ago. I think it also ends with a literal Hand of God.

Harold Lauder or whatever was kind of very sexually frustrated and thought the world and women in particular owed him something so it's an apt comparison.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
One good thing about Netflix shows is that residuals and other income is paid up front since the producers and actors aren't getting syndication money. That means the production costs are higher, but all the rights are hopefully irrevocably settled. I imagine other streaming services have similar setups in order to get top talent.

I doubt Netflix shows are going to show up on the 5pm time slot of your local CW affiliate, but if they did they'd probably have the original soundtrack.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Krispy Wafer posted:

One good thing about Netflix shows is that residuals and other income is paid up front since the producers and actors aren't getting syndication money. That means the production costs are higher, but all the rights are hopefully irrevocably settled. I imagine other streaming services have similar setups in order to get top talent.

I doubt Netflix shows are going to show up on the 5pm time slot of your local CW affiliate, but if they did they'd probably have the original soundtrack.

Bojack was on Comedy Central for a while.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
I love Netflix. I'll name 2 reasons but there are many others.

1. Mindhunter
2. The Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I can't imagine the scene in Daria with them stuck in traffic makes any kind of sense without the soundtrack since the whole gag was that it was copying the video for the song that was currently playing.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

muscles like this! posted:

I can't imagine the scene in Daria with them stuck in traffic makes any kind of sense without the soundtrack since the whole gag was that it was copying the video for the song that was currently playing.

Never had an issue with it :shrug:

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Pope Corky the IX posted:

This is why I’m glad Shout! paid money for all the music rights in Freaks and Geeks. That show would have been unwatchable with replacement music. poo poo, one episode has some of the characters going to a Who concert and has like four or five of their songs playing throughout.

This is also why the DVDs were like $90 a season when they were released.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy
Is this why amazon charge the loving earth for any shows that aren't on prime? Like, I got season 1 of Justified for a couple of quid a few years ago and when we finished it and went to get the other seasons it was less than half the price to just buy the entire show on dvd :v:

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Pilchenstein posted:

Is this why amazon charge the loving earth for any shows that aren't on prime? Like, I got season 1 of Justified for a couple of quid a few years ago and when we finished it and went to get the other seasons it was less than half the price to just buy the entire show on dvd :v:

Well yeah they charge as much as cable pay per view. $6.99 per 120 minutes of dreck.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

CityMidnightJunky posted:

Possibly, I'm half remembering a novel I read 20 years ago. I think it also ends with a literal Hand of God.

The bomb as a thing sent by God is kind of both right and wrong. In the story, Flagg manipulated the mega-incel Harold into doing it, but the whole bomb came about because King was all writer’s blocked and stuck trying to find a way to motivate the characters in Boulder- after all, why should they care about this guy in Vegas when they want to rebuild society? He figured the best way to do it was a big ol’ explosion. So in a way, it’s a bomb sent from god because they were getting too comfortable, just not framed that way in the text.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Ugly In The Morning posted:

The bomb as a thing sent by God is kind of both right and wrong. In the story, Flagg manipulated the mega-incel Harold into doing it, but the whole bomb came about because King was all writer’s blocked and stuck trying to find a way to motivate the characters in Boulder- after all, why should they care about this guy in Vegas when they want to rebuild society? He figured the best way to do it was a big ol’ explosion. So in a way, it’s a bomb sent from god because they were getting too comfortable, just not framed that way in the text.

And the last thing Nevada needs is another nuke going off. Oh the water table. Uhh.

King never finished stories write his first and sometimes second acts rule and then, plop.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Yea, King's books are like, 80% a great book and then a turd of an ending.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica
Why is Obama in the credits of Homeland? He authorized drone strikes and it's the right time period but he's not the president in this fictional universe.

Reagan talking was one thing but the upside down picture of Obama? During his presidency?

Just say it I guess.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

The only actual good ending for a King book/series I can ever think of is The Dark Tower.

Now mind, the lead-up to that ending (and kind of the whole of the last two books) was hot loving garbage, but the ending itself was very good.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Bussamove posted:

The only actual good ending for a King book/series I can ever think of is The Dark Tower.

Now mind, the lead-up to that ending (and kind of the whole of the last two books) was hot loving garbage, but the ending itself was very good.

It was not an ending though. Very open ended. And not terrible.

It was kind of weird that kid got killed by Roland in the first book and came back

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

It was not an ending though. Very open ended. And not terrible.

It was kind of weird that kid got killed by Roland in the first book and came back

Weird how? It was the result of him loving around with stuff in the third door during the Drawing of the Three and them having problems from remembering two different timelines is a major plot point in the third book, it wasn’t like he just showed up again out of nowhere. I’m assuming you’re talking about Jake at least.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

I like how that was the joke in IT: Chapter 2, where even Stephen King throws it at his avatar Bill.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
There's been fancut attempts to put the original soundtrack back in Daria but they're pretty unreliable and incomplete. I mostly remember one credits sequence with Teenage Dirtbag.

It's a bit of a 90s period piece but was actually bringing up a lot of issues that pretty much nothing else was. You didn't see too many other shows seriously showing that girls can be social misfits too and the affect of social class on people's lives and outlooks. That things don't work out as expected seems to be a bit of a theme; recalling the episode where Daria befriends a home schooled boy who seems to be set up as a love interest as a fellow outcast weirdo, but then it turns out once he finds something in common with the ordinary dumb boys from high school he gets along with them great.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Android Apocalypse posted:

I like how that was the joke in IT: Chapter 2, where even Stephen King throws it at his avatar Bill.

IIRC I was always amused that his reaction to the ending of the movie version of The Mist was basically 'drat, I wish I'd thought of that.'

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Weird how? It was the result of him loving around with stuff in the third door during the Drawing of the Three and them having problems from remembering two different timelines is a major plot point in the third book, it wasn’t like he just showed up again out of nowhere. I’m assuming you’re talking about Jake at least.

It was weird he was written out in the first book and came back. Like you said there's some explanation but it was after the fact.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

Shai-Hulud posted:

Of course stuff happens in Middle-Earth but look at how much our world changed in a thousand years. Theres no technological or political advancement in Middle-Earth, the same bows and arrows and swords over thousands of years (most of the times the weapons even get worse because everyone keeps wanking about ye olden tymes and their craftsmanship), people are still ruled by kings and thats certainly not changing. They pretty much started with "about the same as the middle ages" and stay there for thousands of years.
The biggest technological advancement is pretty much Saruman figuring out gunpowder.

This is less impossible than it looks like. In our world, Egypt has existed in a form recognizable as the same entity for thousands of years before changing; more time has passed between the construction of the Pyramids and the reign of Cleopatra than from that to the Moon Landing. The lack of local enemies powerful enough to shake things up (and having the respect of the potential ones that could change things, IE: Rome) together with slavery has allowed Egypt to stay "more or less" the same for an incredible long time.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

There's been fancut attempts to put the original soundtrack back in Daria but they're pretty unreliable and incomplete. I mostly remember one credits sequence with Teenage Dirtbag.

It's a bit of a 90s period piece but was actually bringing up a lot of issues that pretty much nothing else was. You didn't see too many other shows seriously showing that girls can be social misfits too and the affect of social class on people's lives and outlooks. That things don't work out as expected seems to be a bit of a theme; recalling the episode where Daria befriends a home schooled boy who seems to be set up as a love interest as a fellow outcast weirdo, but then it turns out once he finds something in common with the ordinary dumb boys from high school he gets along with them great.

The reason the show still holds up to modern viewing is both this and the fact it absolutely disrespects the high school world the character have to get through. High school is an absolute minor blip in your life yet media constantly praises/embellishes it and acts like it defines you which isnt even close to the case. The female view point is also far more unusual, particularly for the time, and not hyper sexualising the main characters grounds it.

My irrational issues with the show mainly stems from the final season being wrapped up too quickly and too many of the characters have kind of bad or overly ambiguous outcomes. I mean, Kevin might be a complete idiot but he was never a mean spirited person and a fitting outcome would have been a football scholarship. Repeating final year of highschool is a pretty lovely thing to have to through.

That Italian Guy posted:

This is less impossible than it looks like. In our world, Egypt has existed in a form recognizable as the same entity for thousands of years before changing; more time has passed between the construction of the Pyramids and the reign of Cleopatra than from that to the Moon Landing. The lack of local enemies powerful enough to shake things up (and having the respect of the potential ones that could change things, IE: Rome) together with slavery has allowed Egypt to stay "more or less" the same for an incredible long time.

People forget just how ancient ancient Egypt actually was. More to the point of change, regression is totally a thing as well. The early medieval period compared to the height of Rome a thousand years before would have been considered a solid step back in Europe.

Nutsngum has a new favorite as of 12:09 on Oct 23, 2019

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Samuringa posted:

going to be a weird I Spit On Your Grave remake

That is in fact the main plot line of the Dutch Wife Fairy. :nws: :nms: She reanimated a corpse in the possession of a necrophiliac taxidermist and it turned into a revenge movie.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Nutsngum posted:

People forget just how ancient ancient Egypt actually was. More to the point of change, regression is totally a thing as well. The early medieval period compared to the height of Rome a thousand years before would have been considered a solid step back in Europe.

Minas Tirith is basically 35,000 Middle Ages Romans living in a ghost town that had been inhabited by over a million a few centuries earlier. Except they're living in a fortress overlooking some farmland while the city is an abandoned ruin.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
i was really bothered by the ghosts basically being a deus ex machina instead of just helping them get on the boats

also faramir being a jerkass for the sake of tension

and creepy Treebeard for the sake of tension

and

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦

sassassin posted:

Minas Tirith is basically 35,000 Middle Ages Romans living in a ghost town that had been inhabited by over a million a few centuries earlier. Except they're living in a fortress overlooking some farmland while the city is an abandoned ruin.

Minas Tirith is a fortress. Osgiliath is much bigger and was the capital of Gondor but no one lives there anymore.

Minas Morgul used to be called Minas Ithil and it guarded the capital against Mordor. It was taken over by Ringwraiths.

doverhog has a new favorite as of 12:53 on Oct 23, 2019

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Alan Smithee posted:

i was really bothered by the ghosts basically being a deus ex machina instead of just helping them get on the boats

and

Maybe instead of worthless stuff like tension the movies should have been loyal to the books and included way more songs.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Alan Smithee posted:

and

Faramir was indeed an irritating movie moment. Moreso if you read the books where he made the right call and didn't echo Boromir. Completely different character.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

doverhog posted:

Minas Tirith is a fortress. Osgiliath is much bigger and was the capital of Gondor but no one lives there anymore.

Minas Morgul used to be called Minas Ithil and it guarded the capital against Mordor. It was taken over by Ringwraiths.

Thanks, wikipedia.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

Maybe instead of worthless stuff like tension the movies should have been loyal to the books and included way more songs.

Faramir's change of character is good but only works in the extended version with the flashbacks establishing his central conflict.

But yes, more songs would have helped. The songs are important.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Didn’t they also have to walk to Vegas because driving would have been too easy? God wants his side to suffer.

Flagg’s side suffers too (crucification and the what not) but they are allowed to take shortcuts.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

sassassin posted:

Faramir's change of character is good but only works in the extended version with the flashbacks establishing his central conflict.

I think in the Rifftrax you at least get Mike Nelson doing a horrible rendition of “Old Tom Bombadil is a merry fellow,
Bright blue his jacket is, and his boots are yellow.”

And then some forensic analysts of LotR come up with the theory Tom is basically the most powerful person in the books and it fucks up the movies so leave him out.

Which was a better choice than having Faramir be a jerk but I never saw the extended stuff mentioned above that gives him backstory.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

sassassin posted:

Cuz god forbid there be any lightheartedness outside the shire ever

This infected the hobbit too

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Bussamove posted:

The ending of The Dead Zone is really good, to the point where I’ve actually recommended that book to people and they aren’t annoyed with me for it a week later.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Bussamove posted:

What? The ending of The Dark Tower series is the second worst thing about that whole series of books. "Let's establish this villain as the most dangerous thing, and at the end have some guy who we just picked up on the journey erase him from existence, except for his eyes! Sure don't need the main character to have any conflict with him!" And then King couldn't figure out an ending, so he told you to stop reading before the last chapter. If you didn't he just rebooted the story, with him starting the journey again, but this time with a horn!

The worst thing of The Dark Tower series is the Doctor Doom robots on horseback with lightsabers and they're throwing quidditch snitch bombs.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Yeah I'm a big fan of King but the ending to Dark Tower was awful, just disappointing.

Honestly it would've been better if the king stayed the same, but Flagg ended up killing him and taking his place, forcing Roland and co into a confrontation with an antagonist who is actually a threat

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

IUG posted:

What? The ending of The Dark Tower series is the second worst thing about that whole series of books. "Let's establish this villain as the most dangerous thing, and at the end have some guy who we just picked up on the journey erase him from existence, except for his eyes! Sure don't need the main character to have any conflict with him!" And then King couldn't figure out an ending, so he told you to stop reading before the last chapter. If you didn't he just rebooted the story, with him starting the journey again, but this time with a horn!

The worst thing of The Dark Tower series is the Doctor Doom robots on horseback with lightsabers and they're throwing quidditch snitch bombs.

The ending is divisive, but it definitely has it's supporters. It's certainly thematically appropriate and works perfectly as the final piece to Roland's character and his plight.

The way King handled The Crimson King and Mordred is universally panned though. Especially Mordred, I've never seen anyone defend how that character was developed and then (not)paid off.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Nutsngum posted:

The reason the show still holds up to modern viewing is both this and the fact it absolutely disrespects the high school world the character have to get through. High school is an absolute minor blip in your life yet media constantly praises/embellishes it and acts like it defines you which isnt even close to the case. The female view point is also far more unusual, particularly for the time, and not hyper sexualising the main characters grounds it.

My irrational issues with the show mainly stems from the final season being wrapped up too quickly and too many of the characters have kind of bad or overly ambiguous outcomes. I mean, Kevin might be a complete idiot but he was never a mean spirited person and a fitting outcome would have been a football scholarship. Repeating final year of highschool is a pretty lovely thing to have to through.

The high schoolers not being glamourised or hypersexualised really does set it apart, now that you mention it- it's a lot more realistic in that characters are either skittish about sex (including the titular character) or don't make a big deal out of it, while the guy who is constantly hitting on everyone is actually shocked when someone finally says yes. Reminded a lot of the movie Easy A, which plays with similar themes about high school ridiculousness. The habit of making mountains out of molehills in general, both by teenagers and by adults towards teenagers, is also a big theme.

Thing is with Kevin is that the school's favouritism is pretty clearly taking advantage of him- he gets a by on a lot of classes that he's probably otherwise failing, and the star quarterback being held back a year in a school with a shamelessly exploitative principal is a little too much of a coincidence, don't you think? (actually seems very relevant that the principal is a greedy paranoid megalomaniac who treats the high school like her own personal kingdom and is desperate for recognition) I think the ambiguous endins are deliberate, and people put too much stock in the movie's ending slides given they're presented in a similar manner to the episode credits; they seem to be theoreticals of varying likelihood. Kind of the point is exactly that high school is just another stage of their lives and it still remains to be seen exactly what all the young people are actually going to go on to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747
i can think of a few King books that have at least decent endings. Revival and The Long Walk ended really well. Christine, 11/22/63, and Black House were fine (though tbf Straub might have helped with Black House). The Dark Half was fine until Needful Things retconned it so that Thad turned into an alcoholic and killed himself.