Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Jedit posted:

The only good restaurant in Manchester was a greasy spoon, the one just off St Peter's Square. It's gone now, sadly.

This post is nonsense because This & That and the Armenian Taverna exist.

EDIT: The 231st Brigade was involved in two amphibious operations that killed a lot of fascists: Sicily and Gold Beach.

Vincent Van Goatse fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Oct 23, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
Aren't British chips what we Westerners call fries? :psyduck: Why would you serve fries on bread? This is so weird, the culture shock makes me reeling.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Libluini posted:

Aren't British chips what we Westerners call fries? :psyduck: Why would you serve fries on bread? This is so weird, the culture shock makes me reeling.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Reviews are suggesting that The Outer Worlds is also a pretty lefty RPG.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010

Libluini posted:

It's good, OP.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there
A 'London' pizza

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Libluini posted:

They're not American style fries they're big chunky things that I don't even think exist over there

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY

Libluini posted:

chips tend to be chunkier and softer

you'll be pleased to know that it's on its way out. carbs-in-between-slices-of-carbs is a food for coal miners rather than office workers

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

My first encounter with the chip butty was at the Crescent in Salford. I guess it was free chip butty day because I was served one without asking for it. It baffled me at first but was good.

ThomasPaine posted:

They're not American style fries they're big chunky things that I don't even think exist over there

Yeah we have these in :911:, just not at fast food places. They're called steak fries or hand-cut fries.

Vincent Van Goatse fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Oct 23, 2019

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Libluini posted:

No, fries are thin, chips are thicker. Chip shop chips such as you'd get with fish and chips are often pretty soft all over, but you can get them crispier as well, especially pub and frozen supermarket ones; when I was a chef I used to do triple cooked ones that were so thick you could only get four to six chips from a single potato, and they were absolutely godlike.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Libluini posted:

We also do crisp (what you would call chip) sandwiches.

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

Wait until you hear about a pie butty.

I really want to play Disco Elysium but I'm poor and also still churning through Celeste (good hard platformer) though I'm tempted to get DE to keep me busy over Christmas.

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

No, fries are thin, chips are thicker. Chip shop chips such as you'd get with fish and chips are often pretty soft all over, but you can get them crispier as well, especially pub and frozen supermarket ones; when I was a chef I used to do triple cooked ones that were so thick you could only get four to six chips from a single potato, and they were absolutely godlike.

They used to do really good chips at Sandbar in Manchester that were like this. Hard to share as there was only about 4, but the triple cooking made it so the skin was so crispy and inside was like mash potato. Majestic.

justcola fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Oct 23, 2019

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

Libluini posted:

I'm going to make it worse for you.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Proper chunky chips are heaven, the rest of the world is seriously missing out.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Chipguette gate

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,
election time is but a window.

I'll be back
cowards only put them on the one slice. should be on both, then demonstrating true expertise by bringing the slices together.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Libluini posted:

From the country that brought you biscuits with gravy

https://m.imgur.com/gallery/uD03f

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Guavanaut posted:

Chip butty: chips between two slices of buttered white bread.
Chip cob: chips served in a small bread, whatever we're calling that, usually buttered but optional.
Chip :wtc:: chips served in a baguette.

:hai: I've never heard of anything so wild as chips on longbread.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Going back to breakfast toast chat, one slice is stingy, two is minimally acceptable, but you should be able to get as many as you want from the counter

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

all right who did this!!

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

:eyepop:

UKMT's Top 10 Brexit Survival Meals

The mug should be a Diana Memorial Mug though, same with the plate for top score

Pochoclo fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Oct 23, 2019

shas
Jul 27, 2011

chip bap

chestnut santabag
Jul 3, 2006

Chip baguette you say?
How about a chip loaf:

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Pochoclo posted:

The mug should be a Diana Memorial Mug though

yeah I was gonna say, but I think that's an official Ed Miliband so I'll allow it

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Junior members under 16/18 - yes we now have some in our branch. Our canvassing lead wants to invite them to go canvassing. I'm proposing to email them inviting them to contact him direct (I'm the keeper of the member info). Should I ask them to get parental permission (esp the under 16s) and ought they be paired on canvas with someone with DBS?
Any views / experience?
(Labour party I forgot to say).

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
The salt shaker needs to be those little novelty ones.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

chestnut santabag posted:

Chip baguette you say?
How about a chip loaf:

Jesus artery clogging Christ.

Put that in my mouth right now.

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,
election time is but a window.

I'll be back
ftfy

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

BBC News has another extremely weird article about the Royals on the front page, where they explain at length in the manner of a mob enforcer how Prince Harry gunning for the press is undoubtedly going to ruin his life and turn his brother against him.

quote:

The cameras and flashbulbs won't disappear now that Harry has said that they remind him of the worst side of his mother's life.

The newspaper columnists who have poured bile over the duke and duchess for so many months aren't going to change their ways because Meghan says that Britain's best-selling newspapers have not been fair.

And the scrutiny of the couple - which has revealed some degree of say-one-thing, do-another - is not going to go away. In fact, it will probably increase

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-50154033

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Ms Adequate posted:

:hai: I've never heard of anything so wild as chips on longbread.
I miss Po Boys po boys and the amazing things they could do with a sausage baguette.

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

The salt shaker needs to be those little novelty ones.

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Junior members under 16/18 - yes we now have some in our branch. Our canvassing lead wants to invite them to go canvassing. I'm proposing to email them inviting them to contact him direct (I'm the keeper of the member info). Should I ask them to get parental permission (esp the under 16s) and ought they be paired on canvas with someone with DBS?
Any views / experience?
(Labour party I forgot to say).
Even if they do have DBS making sure there's at least two adults accompanying any one under 16 yo is generally good practice.

lmao crispflaps

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

josh04 posted:

BBC News has another extremely weird article about the Royals on the front page, where they explain at length in the manner of a mob enforcer how Prince Harry gunning for the press is undoubtedly going to ruin his life and turn his brother against him.

They're really going out of their way to not report the real reason for the rift between Harry and William.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

Here in Brussels we're blessed with the Mitraillette:

Half a baguette with mystery/shoarma meat on the bottom, topped with many chips and then sauces of your choice. If you're weird you put some tomato and lettuce bits on it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitraillette

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Love the Ed Miliband mug.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Junior G-man posted:

Half a baguette with mystery/shoarma meat on the bottom, topped with many chips and then sauces of your choice. If you're weird you put some tomato and lettuce bits on it.

Almost missed the hangers in the upper right.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Junior G-man posted:

In Israel, cheap shawarma meat is referred to as "cat meat" and places that serve it as "catteries" (roughly translated). I guess the equivalent would be greasy spoon.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

josh04 posted:

also the bit where he's basically thrown under the bus for talking about his mental health struggles

basically "he said he wants privacy but he said so in a public interview the loving hypocrite"

e: oh also in "today on the BBC news website" they've got a grovelling apology from Marr because he accused someone of laughing during an interview

from those details I'm sure you can work out which party they're a member of

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL
I follow this thread for Brexit and Bad British Cookery related lols and today is a good day in regard to the amount of such lols

oscarthewilde
May 16, 2012

I would often go there
To the tiny church there

justcola posted:

Wait until you hear about a pie butty.

I really want to play Disco Elysium but I'm poor and also still churning through Celeste (good hard platformer) though I'm tempted to get DE to keep me busy over Christmas.

They used to do really good chips at Sandbar in Manchester that were like this. Hard to share as there was only about 4, but the triple cooking made it so the skin was so crispy and inside was like mash potato. Majestic.

the guys behind Disco Elysium were starving artists living in a squat once (not even squatting, they were paying rent to the actual squatters!) so I think they won't mind if you somehow acquire DE without paying money for it. just :filez: it dude, it's really too good to miss out on.

edit:

Junior G-man posted:

we've got Kapsalon here in Holland. A divinely awful 1500 kcal combination of doner, chips, 'salad', cheese and way too much garlic sauce and sambal.

it's great when you're completely pissed and craving the last nail in your coffin and decidedly worse the day after. somehow, your hangover is amplified and you'll always regret having one, a regret you'll suddenly forget next time you're pissed and hungry

oscarthewilde fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Oct 23, 2019

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

This election is going to be good because Labour can reasonably claim that Joris had a very decent chance of passing his deal if he just entirely reasonably agreed to have it happen in January. This whole thing is just him throwing his toys out of the pram because he'll miss his arbitrarily decided Halloween date.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.
Chicken donner meat on top of chips with garlic sauce was a favourite of mine when i lived next to a Turkish takeaway.