Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Yeah, that’s why Junior had Tony helping him dig up his backyard in the beginning of that episode. Junior was convinced that he had buried cash from the “Boat Hall Heist”(?) in his backyard and Little Pussy Malanga knew about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

That's how I felt too, it's really like a horror movie, it's so jarring. I would venture to say most had no idea what he said on first viewing, might as well be gibberish

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

codo27 posted:

What was the bigger shock to you on first watch, Paulie's vision in the bing or Junior shooting Tony? The latter for me, but both shook me completely

I remember when my wife and I were starting to watch the final season and I said "what if they did it with a 'who shot JR/Mr. Burns' approach and then told the entire thing entirely through flashbacks?" where episode one was Tony getting shot by an unseen assailant. I was half joking but could see it working. Open the season with Tony getting shot and presumed dead or whatever and then do the rest of the episodes setting up all the people with means, motive and opportunity that might have done it. Probably too cheap, cliche and hackneyed for Chase but in his hands I could picture it being cool and he almost did something fairly similar with the Kevin Finnerty coma stuff.

Junior shooting Tony was far more jarring than Paulie's vision though. The look on his face and his almost unintelligible line delivery, combined with the lighting and the tranquil set up preceding it scared the poo poo out of me. When Tony was blacking out on the phone, my wife said "holy poo poo, you were right." I wasn't, of course, but I was in the ballpark.

Honestly trying to think of my "most jarring" moment. There's several to choose from but that ranks up there. Paulie's vision didn't even register all that much for me.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

For me it is probably Long Term Parking. I knew that Drea de Matteo had been cast in Joey (at the time this was a huge deal, a Friends spin-off? Holy gently caress! Too bad about what actually happened) so I assumed she was going to leave the show, but I completely brought into her fantasy and then BAM no she's still stuck in Jersey and her relationship with Christopher and then DOUBLE BAM what Silvio does to her just left me reeling. I didn't see it coming at all.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

Cazzata Malanga, or "loving Malanga"- that apparently being "Little" Pussy Malanga, the guy Junior was going to have whacked at Vesuvio.

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Yeah, that’s why Junior had Tony helping him dig up his backyard in the beginning of that episode. Junior was convinced that he had buried cash from the “Boat Hall Heist”(?) in his backyard and Little Pussy Malanga knew about it.

Man, what did that guy do to Junior?!

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

Jerusalem posted:

For me it is probably Long Term Parking. I knew that Drea de Matteo had been cast in Joey (at the time this was a huge deal, a Friends spin-off? Holy gently caress! Too bad about what actually happened) so I assumed she was going to leave the show, but I completely brought into her fantasy and then BAM no she's still stuck in Jersey and her relationship with Christopher and then DOUBLE BAM what Silvio does to her just left me reeling. I didn't see it coming at all.

I believed Silvio. I really thought they were going to the hospital :(

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
And my favorite unseen character Cousin Josephine calling to inform everyone about Aunt Concetta dying.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

crispix posted:

I believed Silvio. I really thought they were going to the hospital :(

The moment the scene cuts from her in the driver's seat to the passenger's seat is such a gut punch.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

DarkCrawler posted:

Man, what did that guy do to Junior?!

Hard to say, but the first thing we know about Junior is he wants to clip Malanga so it can't have been anything great. And it's telling that upon hearing Junior wants to do it Tony just shrugs like "So?"

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
Weird enough one man nicknamed Pussy, but two? :/

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
That's why you need Big and Little

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

crispix posted:

Weird enough one man nicknamed Pussy, but two? :/

It’s a pet peeve of mine that ninety percent of books, tv, and movies never have two characters with the same name. Goodfellas takes it realistically (and hilariously) the other way: working class Catholics are likely to stick to naming their kids after saints. Double Pussies made me happy.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear

Torquemada posted:

Double Pussies made me happy.

I never did see the director's cut of Total Recall :newlol:

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Still got 20 pages to go to be caught up so maybe it was covered but there was a cool little detail in s3e2 involving Tony in the hall just prior to Janice gathering everyone in the grate room. Involving a mirror? It's funny, I seen it but it didn't strike me until gf said it

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Pussy in the mirror, right? It always felt just a little too cute for me, but I like the general idea it seemed to be selling of Pussy's death still weighing on Tony's mind, and it makes sense his mother's death brought Pussy back to his mind since they're both people he loved and was close to who betrayed him utterly.

I also love that this scene includes Furio cracking a joke about robbing the winner of Survivor and Paulie looking like he's considering the idea just a little too seriously :allears:

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
Suhvivuh?! Suhvive this, rear end in a top hat!! *pummels head with desk bell from motel* :mad:

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Imagine Paulie on facebook today

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I don't trust that cookie poo poo.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Hey T you gotta take this survey. It told me which Godfather character I am. It said I'm Tessio. Ain't that some fuckin bullshit. *Points at Tony with finger and pinky* You know I'd never sell you out like that, right T?

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Looks here, I don't gives no facebook no permission to takes ownership of my pictures

potee
Jul 23, 2007

Or, you know.

Not fine.

Your Gay Uncle posted:

Looks here, I don't gives no facebook no permission to takes ownership of my pictures

This reminds me of one of my favorite scenes, the failed extortion attempt at the corporate coffee shop. Everything about that scene is perfect, from the thinly veiled threats to the two geezers getting shut down by a coffee shop manager explaining the reality of corporate power.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

That guy's resignation is incredible

"Maybe you have a bad accident and break your kneecaps?"
"Yeah they'll just send in a replacement manager :sigh:"

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Jerusalem posted:

That guy's resignation is incredible

"Maybe you have a bad accident and break your kneecaps?"
"Yeah they'll just send in a replacement manager :sigh:"

It's true, the Mafia could take lessons in breaking people from corporations.

crazy eyes mustafa
Nov 30, 2014
It’s over for the little guy.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
The "Happy Birthday Mister President" scene is perhaps the most Lynchian thing the show ever did. It's loving horrifying.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Pope Corky the IX posted:

The "Happy Birthday Mister President" scene is perhaps the most Lynchian thing the show ever did. It's loving horrifying.

When I watched the episode last week I actually fast forwarded through the scene. Cringe factor was off the charts and I couldn't handle it.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Basebf555 posted:

When I watched the episode last week I actually fast forwarded through the scene. Cringe factor was off the charts and I couldn't handle it.

Yeah that was dark. I read it as Tony being creeped out by the "wanting to gently caress your mother" overtones that had come up in therapy brought on by this old lady that his dad used to gently caress trying to be sexy and seductive. I think he had a realization there.

I've been thinking about this and usually in any popular show over a long period of time, there's a weak link somewhere acting wise and I'm damned if I can find a bad performance anywhere in this show. Even the cameos and one shot or minor characters seem good. Nothing takes me out of a show or a movie faster than bad acting and I can't recall that ever happening here. It's probably a trinute to the writing as well.

Watching those round table discussions, every actor talks about how natural it was how and excited they were to work with the material. Funny that someone said that Chase, for the most part, was strictly anti improvisation since so much of it comes off so natural you'd expect there'd be more of that going on.

If there's a weak link among the actors I can't see it. Melfi bugs me sometimes but that's more to do with the clinical tone of her character in general than anything "bad". Has there been any lovely acting on this show? Even the child actors are good.

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Oct 23, 2019

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear

BiggerBoat posted:

Yeah that was dark. I read it as Tony being creeped out by the "wanting to gently caress your mother" overtones that had come up in therapy brought on by this old lady that his dad used to gently caress trying to be sexy and seductive. I think he had a realization there.

I've been thinking about this and usually in any popular show over a long period of time, there's a weak link somewhere acting wise and I'm damned if I can find a bad performance anywhere in this show. Even the cameos and one shot or minor characters seem good. Nothing takes me out of a show or a movie faster than bad acting and I can't recall that ever happening here. It's probably a trinute to the writing as well.

Watching those round table discussions, every actor talks about how natural it was how and excited they were to work with the material. Funny that someone said that Chase, for the most part, was strictly anti improvisation since so much of it comes off so natural you'd expect there'd be more of that going on.

If there's a weak link among the actors I can't see it. Melfi bugs me sometimes but that's more to do with the clinical tone of her character in general than anything "bad". Has there been any lovely acting on this show? Even the child actors are good.

Gabriella Dante. I can't remember if she improves in the final season when she gets more screen time but throughout the series so far I have found her so wooden that it's somewhat jarring. In particular when she was telling off Fr Intintola after the lunch for Italian women thing, those scenes with her talking so much felt like I had flipped the channel to a Lifetime movie or something.

Maybe also the stripper in the Bing who said she would always remember where she was when Jackie Aprile Senior died. (on the stage in a greasy strip club) :laugh: that one gets a pass

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Some shows just bring something out in the actors and make everybody up their game. The Wire was a similar thing where everybody involved realized they were part of something special and it just lifted everybody up another level by default.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I still say Jackie Jr. was a bad actor but I know I'm in the minority there.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
I think he was acting in good faith. He was just a loving idiot

Grenrow
Apr 11, 2016
The other actors in the dinner party scene where Melfi is there and they're discussing the mafia aren't anything to write home about, but the script is a little clunky there as well, so hard to blame them entirely. Usually Sopranos is pretty good at giving random side characters a sense of an inner life even in brief appearances, but you can't be 100% all the time.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I was never a giant fan of Joseph Gannascoli who played Vito when he started getting a lot of screen time in later seasons (and apparently neither was the rest of the cast).

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

Dawgstar posted:

(and apparently neither was the rest of the cast).

What's the story on that?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

escape artist posted:

What's the story on that?

I only ever heard about it in this thread, but after Gandolfini died apparently the actor would bullshit stories about having a close personal relationship with him till the point where others in the cast came out and said he was full of crap.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Jerusalem posted:

I only ever heard about it in this thread, but after Gandolfini died apparently the actor would bullshit stories about having a close personal relationship with him till the point where others in the cast came out and said he was full of crap.

And it's been said other cast members didn't like how Gannascoli hired his own PR person and went into business for himself doing press stuff. The word 'grandstanding' was used a lot. In the interests of fairness Gannascoli claims they were just jealous of all the attention he got with his storyline (something he reputedly pushed for himself) in the next season which might be true? Who knows.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Dawgstar posted:

And it's been said other cast members didn't like how Gannascoli hired his own PR person and went into business for himself doing press stuff. The word 'grandstanding' was used a lot. In the interests of fairness Gannascoli claims they were just jealous of all the attention he got with his storyline (something he reputedly pushed for himself) in the next season which might be true? Who knows.

A good friend of mine works for a food packing plant that mainly does Italian sauces and vegetables. Gannascoli had a meeting with them years ago when he was getting his line started to see if they'd manufacture it and he was apparently really full of himself. They didn't do business with him.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Basebf555 posted:

I still say Jackie Jr. was a bad actor but I know I'm in the minority there.

I think the performance works really well regardless of whether he's performing that way because he can't act or because he's exceptional at portraying an idiot.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Ginette Reno posted:

I think the performance works really well regardless of whether he's performing that way because he can't act or because he's exceptional at portraying an idiot.

I guess you do have to look at it that way, and maybe it's something I didn't quite recognize when I first watched the show years ago. Because really when you think about it, there's very very few scenes where Jackie Jr. isn't putting on some fake persona to fit whatever crowd he's with. Like, even sitting there alone with just him and Sean, he's still trying to put out this vibe of "I'm an really important heir apparent future mob boss". He's saying things the way he thinks a hot up and coming mobster would say them to his minion. Or with Meadow, he's obviously acting a certain way that he thinks will get him the results he wants.

I honestly struggle to think of a scene where Jackie Jr. is his genuine self, outside of those scenes at the very end when he's hiding out and interacting with that family. And those scenes are actually quite good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I honestly thought the scene where Jackie's playing The Littlest Don and receiving the guy who wants to sell drugs at the Crazy Horse was great and it took talent to act like you're acting like every half-remembered mob boss you've ever seen in the movies or TV.