Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

FlamingLiberal posted:

Toilet Paper USA is the one where someone determined that the majority of the people accessing their sites were people over 60

It’s just a Koch-funded ‘think tank’ to target public education

That’s TFA. TPUSA is supposed to target college students.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

FlamingLiberal posted:

Toilet Paper USA is the one where someone determined that the majority of the people accessing their sites were people over 60

No that was their targeted facebook ads, and it was like 95% lol

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

Electric Bugaloo posted:

I think there was something with TPUSA where their Facebook ads were mostly hitting boomers. Possibly as a "convince them the future is on your side" kind of thing. It's been a while since I saw that article though, it was maybe a year or two ago?

[edit]Ok, I'm not the only one that remembers that.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

It’s just perfect that an organization like that is mainly advertising to people who would have adult kids by that point

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

FlamingLiberal posted:

It’s just perfect that an organization like that is mainly advertising to people who would have adult kids by that point

The idea is to keep the boomer republican base think there's young people coming in behind them and they're not just an isolated, historical anomaly who will be exhumed and burned in a ditch during the American Cultural Revolution of 2080.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
:hai:

https://twitter.com/brianschatz/status/1187001418592468992?s=21

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

There's your fox news talking points for the rest of the week.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/hughhewitt/status/1186976962566340608

"Actually, quid pro quos are cool and good"

ewiley
Jul 9, 2003

More trash for the trash fire

Uh huh, and which of these deals was about digging up dirt on political opponents again and not just about directly benefitting the US as a whole?

e: also both purchases were treaties approved by the Senate. Which senators want to go on-record saying military aid should be tied to Biden investigations? Why not write that poo poo up as a treaty with Ukraine 🤔

ewiley fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Oct 23, 2019

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

ewiley posted:

Uh huh, and which of these deals was about digging up dirt on political opponents again and not just about directly benefitting the US as a whole?

Really now we're just splitting hairs with this "Declared, democratically agreed US state policy vs private political motives" distinction

Going forward, the interests of the state and the interests of the party in control of the government are one and the same

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Data Graham posted:

Really now we're just splitting hairs with this "Declared, democratically agreed US state policy vs private political motives" distinction

Going forward, the interests of the state and the interests of the party in control of the government are one and the same

It really feels like this is the crescendo of 60yrs of destructive right wing partisanship and we are better off just tearing everything down and rewriting it from the bottom up.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
Zuckerberg live in Congress.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wLOBd45OGG4

SchrodingersCat
Aug 23, 2011

So, now we are comparing one-for-one transactional exchanges to extorting an ally with withheld military aid in exchange for political dirt? We've really moved from "no quid pro quo" to "all quid pro quo are good"?

Because at this point the goalposts have moved so far and so fast I think I see them out in the parking lot getting ready to drive away.

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

:v:
Switchblade Switcharoo
https://twitter.com/owillis/status/1186999380617891840?s=21

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

Electric Bugaloo posted:

https://mobile.twitter.com/JordanUhl/status/1092458237520199683

FizFashizzle posted:

The idea is to keep the boomer republican base think there's young people coming in behind them and they're not just an isolated, historical anomaly who will be exhumed and burned in a ditch during the American Cultural Revolution of 2080.

Yeah it's this.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

TulliusCicero posted:

The fact that all he can do is replace incompetent henchman with more incompetent henchmen is amazing

No one with any sanity left wants anything to do with him, even with the prospect of becoming one of the most powerful people in Washington

Amazing

Nah that’s all Trump’s decision. He always surrounded himself with yes men who are even dumber than he is in business and doesn’t know how to do it any other way in government. Which worked “fine” for him before because being successful at business wasn’t actually what his game was. Now that he’s in a position where his decisions actually carry weight and are more publicly scrutinized he’s too stupid/stubborn to actually attempt competency because underhanded blatantly idiotic decision making is all he knows

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
https://twitter.com/williamjordann/status/1186962929838710785

really makes you wonder if the GOP will figure out that Trump on the ballot in 2020 will lead to their destruction

ghostwritingduck
Aug 26, 2004

"I hope you like waking up at 6 a.m. and having your favorite things destroyed. P.S. Forgive me because I'm cuter than that $50 wire I just ate."
Democrats should stop using “quid pro quo” and start saying extortion. The language is abstracting something that most people recognize as wrong.

ghostwritingduck fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Oct 23, 2019

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

oxsnard posted:

really makes you wonder if the GOP will figure out that Trump on the ballot in 2020 will lead to their destruction

Are you sure the voters aren't enthusiastic about defending their beloved prez?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

oxsnard posted:

Extremely Enthusiastic is 21 points higher than it was on the eve of the 2016 election. 21.

ewiley
Jul 9, 2003

More trash for the trash fire

oxsnard posted:

I don't think this is a particularly good sign

https://twitter.com/williamjordann/status/1187012976164982789?s=20

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003

BarbarianElephant posted:

I think 2018 turnout numbers and results tells a different story

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

ghostwritingduck posted:

Democrats should stop using “quid pro quo” and start saying extortion.

Yep. Also lost in the Republican diarrheal Gish Gallop is that soliciting foreign assistance in the first ducking place is an impeachable offense—regardless of extortion or quid pro quo.

twice burned ice
Dec 29, 2008

My stove defies the laws of physics!

Conservative commenter can't tell the difference between extortion and buying something. Come on dude, the word purchase is right there in the name.

How can you be this stupid and function in society

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

Generally, as a historic trend, Democrats have struggled with enthusiasm compared to Republicans.

Meatball
Mar 2, 2003

That's a Spicy Meatball

Pillbug

oxsnard posted:

I think they're going to ask him to resign when support for impeachment matches nixon. I think were really close to that now. I want to say it reached high 50s before he resigned and were at about 55 now.

Once it hits 60 in a week or two, you're going to see some real poo poo.

Cant wait for the angry tweets after they tell him they cant protect him anymore and ask him to resign.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

oxsnard posted:

Maybe, but I think our number 1 priority until there's an opposition candidate is to decimate fox news as much as we can.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

That’s always the case, the gap is usually larger. The problem for them is that Dems greatly outnumber Republicans if turnout percentage is close.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

Some of them probably are.

But, old conservative blowhards are incredibly reliable voters. They win when turnout is depressed and they're the only ones who show up. They lose, badly, when there's heavy turnout everywhere.

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

PIZZA.BAT posted:

*sigh*

I know it’s Trump and he’s probably making all this poo poo up but is there any evidence for any of these points being true? The ‘recapturing ISIS’ point is particularly unbelievable.

Rule of thumb is if Trump tweets "success" it is a lie.

As other goons mentioned 100s of known ISIS prisoners have escaped, possibly thousands.

Putin/Erdogan agreed to a "safe zone" and "evacuation of the Kurds" without any input from the Kurds themselves. It's essentially state-sponsored ethnic cleansing and there will most likely be some sort of guerilla operations against the Turkish troops in the region, along with the general regional instability.

In addition, as other goons have mentioned, US influence in the middle east is eroding, fast. I don't think the Israelis or Saudi's are too happy either. From a US foreign policy perspective, it is a disaster all-around for US interests in the region.

Whoever takes over after Trump will only have Israel/SA as "Allies" in the middle east, and both have proven to be really lovely allies.

The only silver lining I can find is that literally no one in US politics is happy with this other than Trump himself. Even his own party can't swallow this pill.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Oh, I totally agree and understand about the boomer thing. No clue whether the targeting was intentional or a happy accident of the algorithm.

I just meant to clarify that the ostensible purpose of TP was to convert college kids, not target public ed.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

Dems also don't have a candidate yet, so that number is the "hyped for anybody but Trump" number.

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
I'd have to see the crosstabs to see if they use "Registered Republican" or "Republican leaning," because if it's the former, that enthusiasm number breakdown by party doesn't mean much. RVs are only ~30% republican

pkay
Jan 4, 2005
"You and your ilk just made me vote downticket R in the midterms."
- a black man (- a magachud)

Meatball posted:

I think they're going to ask him to resign when support for impeachment matches nixon. I think were really close to that now. I want to say it reached high 50s before he resigned and were at about 55 now.

Once it hits 60 in a week or two, you're going to see some real poo poo.

Cant wait for the angry tweets after they tell him they cant protect him anymore and ask him to resign.

He isn't resigning...ever.

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
Republicans have their orange goblin to rally around right now. Dems are still parking the clown car. Tons of time for enthusiasm to change.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

oxsnard posted:

Which will lead to more destruction, him on the ballot or his voters pissed off they backstabbed him

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

FizFashizzle posted:

No the idea is to get boomers all "yeah, put it to those drat liberal colleges! Here's my email to keep me up to date on owning the libs! Take my money!"

LeeMajors posted:

Yep. Also lost in the Republican diarrheal Gish Gallop is that soliciting foreign assistance in the first ducking place is an impeachable offense—regardless of extortion or quid pro quo.

You are assuming that Democrats even get heard. Most of the reason that "quid pro quo" is getting media play is Trump screaming there wasn't one as though saying "this is not a crime!" while committing a crime does anything, with Fox dutifully but a bit confusedly amplifying him.

As for people wondering why they did this - don't forget Trump is a huge sucker for conspiracy theories. In addition the the Hunter Biden bullshit he was also pressing for them to investigate a Q-anon level theory that Democrats hacked a company in Ukraine (which didn't exist in Ukraine) and planted fake evidence that Russia was the one behind the DNC hacking.

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

oxsnard posted:

Republicans ARE enthusiastic as well, it's why they retained the senate. However, there are far more people who hate the President and are enthusiastic about voting him out than there are MAGA chuds. That to me was the lesson of 2018.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

Which will lead to more destruction, him on the ballot or his voters pissed off they backstabbed him

Short term the backstabbing. Long term him remaining on the ballot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Could he crawl any further up Trump's rear end?

I know Kellyanne is already up there, but she can move a couch and make some room