Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

the tweet mostly seemed odd to me because that sort of fluffy sentiment where like, bare minimum positive gay depiction is elevated seems totally at odds with how that episode also cold opens with the kid being bullied for being gay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
people do this every so often when an anime that doesn't center around gay characters has a scene where a character says they're gay and like. it's cool if casual rep does something for you but man if you're that desperate for gay rep there's like. a lot of anime, about gay characters, you could watch lol. the well for good stuff there isn't quite as big with gay dudes as it is with yuri i guess but people did the same thing with anima yell and like uhh man if you want a kirara anime with casual gay stuff you, literally already had comic girls, new game and slow start build a ton of stuff around it lol

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
I really appreciate that there's been this groundswell of anime casually throwing around lgbtq relationships and putting in a bit of time to normalize them. It's weird, I feel ike it was only a couple years ago we were regularly talking about scenes that were pretty insensitive to queers. It's not like that's been eradicated for sure but the number of shows delivering positive representations feels like they've spiked.

Also that ending is fantastic. Prez loving owned that dance.

Kagaya Homoraisan
Aug 28, 2019

You say, run away
Instead, you get scared
For the way that I feel
Drops out into all this disorder
yeah but you dont get cool cultural zeitgeist points if youre watching something from last year. some people have the media memory of a goldfish

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

not even a full year, given was literally just a season ago

Kagaya Homoraisan
Aug 28, 2019

You say, run away
Instead, you get scared
For the way that I feel
last season might as well be a year ago which might as well be forever.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The people demand casual gay rep yet wont watch saki. Smh.

dogsicle posted:

the tweet mostly seemed odd to me because that sort of fluffy sentiment where like, bare minimum positive gay depiction is elevated seems totally at odds with how that episode also cold opens with the kid being bullied for being gay.
That seems like an important detail to leave out lol

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Endorph posted:

The people demand casual gay rep yet wont watch saki. Smh.

To be fair, I don't think there's anything casual about Saki if that's their limit.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

But yeah people forget this stuff immediately or just dont go looking for it. Like bloom into you was a show actually about lesbian romance with an adult lesbian couple who were just normal adults and nobody mentions that when going 'finally anime gays are saved.'

It feels like rather than wanting gay media they want shonen to just throw out 'also gay people are okay' in one episode

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

chumbler posted:

To be fair, I don't think there's anything casual about Saki if that's their limit.
Nodoka just going 'also lesbians can have babies' with no prompting or context is both casual and hilarious

Kagaya Homoraisan
Aug 28, 2019

You say, run away
Instead, you get scared
For the way that I feel
good representation is less important than being able to go "this!!!!!!!" on a tweet and get 50k likes

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Endorph posted:

That seems like an important detail to leave out lol

it's not depicted at all as intensely as the dv scene at the end of ep1 and is resolved like immediately but yeah. it's not a frictionless depiction of being gay which is what i assume the people who make those sorts of posts want considering what they push and how.

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

My problem with the Stars Align scene is that the show already made it clear that the MC can be calculating and manipulative, so him going "oh you're gay for our president, that's cool I guess" felt less like genuine acceptance and more like a ploy to get a manager.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

while we're talking about rep there needs to be more cool overweight girls in anime

also the character needs to not be "food food food food food food food"

(i haven't seen stars align yet)

i was playing through 428 shibuya scramble and the only slightly overweight lady side character is just "food food food food food food food"

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

There's something to be said about representation of group in a show that is not intrinsically about that group. I feel that makes a marginal difference from Given or Bloom in that regard.

The manipulation part might bug me but if it was a girl pining for a boy in his club it'd play out the same, right?

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007

doomrider7 posted:

Sub or Dub? Also, didn't he flood a d destroy the entire world because his family died in an accident? Aside that, why did he create the animal people?

Dub, also oops wrong thread.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I think that one thing about the gay kid in Stars Align is that we've only seen the first step of his journey, and the ED puts him in the 'love interest for protagonist' section alongside the otaku girl with a crush on Maki. There's a non-zero chance that Maki is going to keep playing matchmaker, or he's going to take the next few steps on his own.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Ranzear posted:

There's something to be said about representation of group in a show that is not intrinsically about that group. I feel that makes a marginal difference from Given or Bloom in that regard.
I mean I get what you mean but at the same time it's kind of the question of what counts as 'intrinsically about that group?' Like Given is a music anime, there's a lot of talk about romance obviously but the characters are also forming a band and there's music talk too. You could make something similar with straight characters. And Bloom is mostly just a romance manga, but it runs in a shonen magazine, not a yuri one. I feel like when people say this stuff they mostly just mean 'the protagonists aren't gay,' and I get why having decent gay side characters is nice, I have fun with that sort of thing too, but the idea that having gay main characters means the main thing the series is about is gay people is a bit off-kilter, if you break it down.

Not really saying that's a hosed up thought to have because I get what you mean, just thinking out loud.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
not that it was intended this way, but people are already really dismissive of BL and have a lot of negative preconceptions about it so it kinda sucks when there's a show that's doing some really good stuff and it gets pushed aside like it doesn't matter because of the genre

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

The 7th Guest posted:

while we're talking about rep there needs to be more cool overweight girls in anime

also the character needs to not be "food food food food food food food"

(i haven't seen stars align yet)

i was playing through 428 shibuya scramble and the only slightly overweight lady side character is just "food food food food food food food"
I agree with 50% of those first two statements

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Endorph posted:

I mean I get what you mean but at the same time it's kind of the question of what counts as 'intrinsically about that group?'

That was phrased badly. I think I plugged 'tangentially' in there instead but dropped my edit when I went to bed.

Just expectations or presentation. I don't wanna 'death of the author' it, but Given and Bloom get pitched by fans as BL or Yuri don't they? Much of the appeal of these works is good representation of these groups. Given as a 'music anime' (not knowing the manga myself) has all of two songs in it.

Background, Narrative, and Characters. These are three parts I consider critical to a story and they all interplay, but this is why I would separate 'music' or 'romance' (narrative) from the represented group (characters). That represented 'core group' can be anything: young, old, gay, purple, south american revolutionaries, etc. What I would want to point out is how that core group interacts with those outside of it, and at this point I realize Given is kinda insular in that regard. Additionally, this 'core group' is not just the protagonists, but all major players in the story; bad representation doesn't get excused just because it was the antagonist who perpetrated it (looking at you, Franxx).

It'd be very hard for a work to badly represent its core group and still be well received, meanwhile it's far too easy for a well received work to slide in a bad representation on a side character (One Punch Man, Franxx). A work that takes the time to give a good representation to a minority side character, treating them like anyone else, is a step forward. It's a marginal difference but I feel it makes a tiny bit of progress. A work that takes the time to mesh a minority into the core group, without already being the identity of the group I mean, is even better.

I'm sure there's some already established term for this. My concept of this 'core group' would be Batman and his Rogues' Gallery in the original Animated Series. The eventual inclusion of Harley and Ivy into that core group is a strong example of that last part that I'd point to. If anything, bad representation of a side character is like or at least goes with rejecting them from being in the core group of the story.

Just the same: Thinking out loud.

Ranzear fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Oct 22, 2019

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

I am so excited to see this idiot stumble into friendship.

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

Just watched the first two episodes of Babylon. The second episode had some interesting direction and I hope we get more like that.

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010
I'm enjoying blade of the immortal despite it's hilarious adaption pace.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Expect My Mom posted:

beastars continues to be good. i appreciate it's slow pace a lot
https://twitter.com/PunkJax/status/1185400495860584448

i'd make a thread, but i have not read the manga

Adaptation's super good so far! Going at a much faster pace though compared to the manga, which kind of sucks because you miss out on some of the earlier conversations with Legosi, Jack, and his other roommates.

Exia
Feb 12, 2014
During the 20th Anniversary stream for Age, they announced an anime adaptation of MuvLuv: Alternative
https://twinfinite.net/2019/10/muv-luv-alternative-anime/

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Exia posted:

During the 20th Anniversary stream for Age, they announced an anime adaptation of MuvLuv: Alternative

Probably going to be bad but oddly compelling like most MuvLuv anime.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

no studio or anything announced yet, fyi. All they confirmed is that an alternative anime will exist.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Darth Walrus posted:

Probably going to be bad but oddly compelling like most MuvLuv anime.

It has the benefit of being based on one of the good bits of Muv Luv unlike the others.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Sakurazuka posted:

It has the benefit of being based on one of the good bits of Muv Luv unlike the others.

its not based on extra tho?

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM

Exia posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5JICa_ZxBk

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Endorph posted:

its not based on extra tho?

I wish

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

did they make any recap charts for the next season of chihayafuru, i tried to research myself but i just ended up spoiling myself

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I have no idea how they could possibly do an Alternative anime without doing Unlimited first at the very least. And they’d really need to do Extra to sell Sumika’s character.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
REJOICE FOR CHIHAYAFURU HAS RETURNED TO GRACE US WITH ITS PRESENCE

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbc8tdWe6lY

:barf:

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

also the tennis show got caught copying some japanese internet dance stars moves

https://twitter.com/melomelochin/status/1186877132762304513

https://twitter.com/miko02xxx/status/1186936005066022912

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

I bet you a pizza it turns out good.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

If i win though you owe me 3 pizzas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013