Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

Lote posted:

I mean, couldn't you trade out which Reps are on the Committee? It's not like there aren't Republican members on the Committee right now.

That'd be conceding to the GOP for literally no reason tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

generic one
Oct 2, 2004

I wish I was a little bit taller
I wish I was a baller
I wish I had a wookie in a hat with a bat
And a six four Impala

Nap Ghost

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Why are people brushing by this?

It’s significant, but I think it’s something everyone assumed was the case. This is definitely proof, though.

Also, I’m guessing everyone’s a little caught up with Matt Gaetz leading the March of the Impotent Brigade at the moment.

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service

this is a bullet through at least one GOP talking point but they've already moved on to "abuse of power is fine, actually"

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Lote posted:

I mean, couldn't you trade out which Reps are on the Committee? It's not like there aren't Republican members on the Committee right now.

It's not about that. They actually just want to paint this as a sham investigation being done behind closed doors and trying to storm the room and being kicked out is good optics for that messaging. They don't want Fox News viewers to know that there are GOP congressmen actually already in the room.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

Dumbass is lifting all sanctions against Turkey. Saying there's a "permanent cease-fire."

Love to announce lifting sanctions while my foot soldiers in the house are causing a distraction.

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

Spaced God posted:

That'd be conceding to the GOP for literally no reason tho

Does the Speaker need to agree to that? The real issue with the idea is that the composition of the minority party in the committees has no actual bearing on this. The GOP knows what's happening in the committees. They need to pretend that they don't. If they took visible steps to solve their fake problem, it would be harder to pretend that it was a problem.

Edit:
Will it get Fox News viewers to believe a narrative that flies in the face of reality? The question answers itself.
VVVVVVVV

Flip Yr Wig fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Oct 23, 2019

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.
Is this brigade stunt even likely to work?

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
The thing is, Democrats don't need to do or change a thing. They have 30-35% of the population that will not change their love for god emperor trump. These stunts are working on this population but it literally doesn't matter.

ryde
Sep 9, 2011

God I love young girls

Willo567 posted:

It'll work on the died-in-the-wool GOP base, not on Democrats, a big question mark on independents.

So far independents have been more influenced by the Democrat impeachment than the Republicans' defense based on polling numbers.

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

Is he...tweeting from inside the SCIF?!

https://twitter.com/repmattgaetz/status/1187028992295161858?s=21

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!

Willo567 posted:

The people they are trying to fool with this think Donald Trump is a good and honest businessman who cares about them.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Willo567 posted:

Only if Dems let it. It's more so Fox News has a talking point tonight about how Republicans are "fighting back"

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Willo567 posted:

what does "work" mean?

Will it stop the committee hearings? no way

Will it provide more propaganda to play on Fox News? sure. but that's superfluous at this point

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Good Twitter thread here about the SCIF and why that little stunt was a big problem.....I hope they all get censured.

https://twitter.com/MiekeEoyang/status/1187032800572125191

ewiley
Jul 9, 2003

More trash for the trash fire

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

Dumbass is lifting all sanctions against Turkey. Saying there's a "permanent cease-fire."

We had sanctions at all? Did they even bother implementing any of them?

Hahah watch this video for Raju's reaction after the clip at around 0:35. He is all of us right now

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

PIZZA.BAT posted:

It’s the opposite, afaik. The fundamental issue with encryption is being able to generate random numbers that your opponent can’t predict. This was an essentially impossible problem, because what even is ‘true random’ anyways, until quantum computers allowed us to use a particle’s state as the number generator.

This is very, very wrong for several reasons.

First, cryptographically secure pseudo random generators exist and are extremely difficult to predict. Your computer uses them all the time and it's fine. For people that need truly random numbers for security, solutions still exist without quantum computers - you can get PCIe cards with chips that detect stuff like tiny fluctuations in heat to generate them. One company (Cloudflare?) uses a security camera pointed at lava lamps. I'm serious.

Second, viable quantum computing WILL break a lot of the existing algorithms we use for encryption. Many (not all!) encryption algorithms rely on prime factorization being a difficult problem. It is relatively trivial to multiply two large (100+ digit) prime numbers to get a really large composite number. It is much harder to take that really large composite number and figure out what two prime numbers were multiplied together to get it in the first place. There is no known classical algorithm for trying to figure this out that does much better than randomly guessing. There could be one, but we haven't found it. There is, however, a quantum algorithm to do just that (Shor's algorithm). And we've actually used it in real life, on real quantum computers, so we know it works. It's just that the biggest number we've been able to compute the prime factors of is (IIRC) 15. So we're a ways off, but it will happen.

Also there are existing encryption algorithms that don't use prime factorization that we don't have a quantum algorithm for (yet). Unfortunately, most of the really important stuff (TLS) uses prime factorization.

Lastly, there is a quantum algorithm for making provably secure connections in that it is mathematically proven that nobody can eavesdrop on your message without you knowing about it. But you actually need a quantum computer on both ends so that poo poo is going to be reserved for NSA level stuff.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Retro42 posted:

Someone post some happy news/taxes. I just came dangerously close to throwing my remote at the TV between the House GOP news and the current Trump word-vomit.

Shrimp on shrimp action

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

my bony fealty posted:

what does "work" mean?

Will it stop the committee hearings? no way

Will it provide more propaganda to play on Fox News? sure. but that's superfluous at this point

When I say work, I mean will it convince Independents that the GOP is right?

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Willo567 posted:

Lol no

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Violating the rules to violate the law to own the libs

Also love that the very first response to him is calling out his bullshit

SocketWrench fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Oct 23, 2019

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Willo567 posted:

Who knows. It's inside baseball-y enough that average people might be fooled. But I tend to think that enough poo poo has come out that a dumbass stunt like this isn't going to make the polling suddenly reverse course overnight.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

ImpAtom posted:

The worrying thing for me is that the Republicans do seem to be getting their messaging together. It is stupid nonsense but that has never stopped them before.

All indications are that getting the hearings opened would be a case of "be careful what you wish for" as far as public sentiment. You'd have them live on just about every news channels.

I think their main concern is that the closed hearings don't allow them to plan their lies. Sondland getting caught probably is what kicked the whining into overdrive.

Magugu
Mar 30, 2013

I came to drink, fight, and f@ck. And im fresh outta beer, so what will it be?

Willo567 posted:

I mean there were clearly quite a few laws being broken here, but the optics is just playing to their base. If anything is actually done to the Congressmen, they will claim they are the victims and trump will pardon them.

For everyone who is not the base it is just another very clear sign that reality doesn't seem to matter anymore, and we are all living in Donald Trump's world.

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

Willo567 posted:

Does that look like the actions of a party that has the truth on their side?

I'm not even really sure how the answer that question, because I don't know who is left to be convinced about the underlying facts.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

SocketWrench posted:

Are all members of congress granted security clearances by default, or is it based on committee assignments? What if they become security threats themselves? :psyduck:

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
Independents literally do not exist anymore.

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

Shifty Pony posted:

All indications are that getting the hearings opened would be a case of "be careful what you wish for" as far as public sentiment. You'd have them live on just about every news channels.

I think their main concern is that the closed hearings don't allow them to plan their lies. Sondland getting caught probably is what kicked the whining into overdrive.

They are desperate to get the hearings opened NOW because they REALLY need to get witness stories straight yesterday. Every additional deposition taken is basically some other Trump toady eating a perjury charge.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

SocketWrench posted:

Also love that the very first response to him is calling out his bullshit

Charge 'em under the espionage act.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Willo567 posted:

"process" arguments are well known for not moving the needle at all with voters

voters did not give a flying gently caress about Merrick Garland not getting a vote, for example

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Cactrot posted:

Charge 'em under the espionage act.

I'm sure Bill Barr will get right on that

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Isn’t Nunes part of the committee anyway? You’d think he would be leaking stuff if it was going to be good for them substance wise.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Demon Of The Fall posted:

Independents literally do not exist anymore.

this is not true

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Flip Yr Wig posted:

Does that look like the actions of a party that has the truth on their side?

Of course not.

But this country is filled with idiots

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Bubbacub posted:

Are all members of congress granted security clearances by default, or is it based on committee assignments? What if they become security threats themselves? :psyduck:

Every member of Congress is a possible security threat, knowingly or unknowingly. Hence the whole "lock up your cell phones outside the SCIF" because who the gently caress knows which foreign threat has which Congressman's phone bugged.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

bobjr posted:

Isn’t Nunes part of the committee anyway? You’d think he would be leaking stuff if it was going to be good for them substance wise.

I'm pretty sure he tried to either photograph or outright steal documents out of the SCIF at least once before, but things have been so crazy for so long that I literally can't remember if that actually happened.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

I want to live in the timelive where Donkey Kong with a Dem badge comes out at the top of those spiral stairs and rolls a barrel down.

And then Mario wiht a dem communism badge does the hammer powerup thing.

ryde
Sep 9, 2011

God I love young girls

Retro42 posted:

They are desperate to get the hearings opened NOW because they REALLY need to get witness stories straight yesterday. Every additional deposition taken is basically some other Trump toady eating a perjury charge.

Or even worse, they’ll tell the truth to avoid getting hit with perjury.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Angry_Ed posted:

I'm pretty sure he tried to either photograph or outright steal documents out of the SCIF at least once before, but things have been so crazy for so long that I literally can't remember if that actually happened.

he got kicked out of a hearing a couple days ago iirc

Zoph
Sep 12, 2005

I need a list of the House GOP reps that took part in this disgraceful stunt, because I have a mighty need to poo poo down my rep's throat if they were there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Romes128 posted:

he got kicked out of a hearing a couple days ago iirc

Yeah he tried to stand in a corner unnoticed.