Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Catpain Slack
Apr 1, 2014

BAAAAAAH
I wonder which will happen first, the planet being rendered uninhabitable outside polar regions by climate change, or Brexit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

An insane mind posted:

CONSERVATISM: I'LL KILL MYSELF AND MY CHILDREN BEFORE HELPING ANOTHER HUMAN BEING.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Does the UK have a slave labor class of undocumented immigrants, like the US does?

Yes but it's smaller and far more gang controlled as smuggling someone in is hard without using them.

Occasionally we bust people for modern slavery offenses but usually end up deporting whoever was enslaved because they don't have a valid work history afterwards.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Brexitstential Dread.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Samurai Sanders posted:

The more I read that the more hosed up it becomes, but I don't really have any context for it. Is there a lot of human trafficking into the UK, in spite being part of the EU and in some sense one labor market? Isn't that what the Leave people wanted to stop?

- A huge chunk of the unwanted immigrants are from EU countries (especially Poland). They live legally in the UK. This type of immigration would only stop if the UK was to leave the common market, which would be absolutely disastrous and only imaginable in some chaotic No deal scenario.

- A huge chunk of the immigrants come from the Commonwealth. This has nothing to do with the EU and the common market and would no be affected by Brexit.

- Some non-EU immigrants are smuggled illegally into Britain through France. The UK is one of the few countries that has not abolished borders inside the EU (something called the Schengen zone) so Brexit would not affect this either since there are already a border controls in place.

Basically, it's mostly about the Poles and the Brexit gammons got sold some fantasy where Britain could stay a member of the common market but deny EU citizens entry. I can't emphasize enough how delusional that was. Allowing such an arrangement would violate the basic principles of the EU and most likely lead to its partial disintegration. You are more likely to negotiate a blow job from Juncker.

Also, I guess gammons were scared that the EU might talk Britain into accepting refugees as part of a distribution scheme.

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
keep getting ready for brexit for a few more years even if the wab passes somehow

https://twitter.com/NinaDSchick/status/1187040268903735296

poty
Jun 21, 2008

GABA ghoul posted:

- A huge chunk of the unwanted immigrants are from EU countries (especially Poland). They live legally in the UK. This type of immigration would only stop if the UK was to leave the common market, which would be absolutely disastrous and only imaginable in some chaotic No deal scenario.

the uk except ni would leave the common market (after the transition period i guess) with the boris deal
with theresa mays deal the whole uk would leave the common market unless the backstop scenario kicked in (if no trade deal was agreed). then the whole uk would have stayed in the common market.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Does the UK have a slave labor class of undocumented immigrants, like the US does?
Yes, modern slavery is a concern here, although it isn't just about undocumented immigrants, it's also about vulnerable british/EU adults who ordinarily have the right to be here.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
Brexception

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

https://twitter.com/mountain_ghosts/status/1186730910722514946

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

poty posted:

the uk except ni would leave the common market (after the transition period i guess) with the boris deal
with theresa mays deal the whole uk would leave the common market unless the backstop scenario kicked in (if no trade deal was agreed). then the whole uk would have stayed in the common market.

I mean, as far as I understand it, the transition period would be the time when Britain starts to negotiate future trade relationship with world. But considering that

A) even under optimal conditions (no lazy incompetent grifters in charge) it would be nowhere near enough time for something like that

B) falling back to WTO rules with the whole world would be an unprecedented nightmare that would take at least a generation to correct

C) there have been no serious British preparations, legislative or otherwise, for them to actually leave the common market

I think it's fair to assume that no-one seriously considers the option of leaving yet. They probably plan to outright stay in the common market through EFTA or do a series of transition time extensions for a couple of decades to get some time to negotiate. Whatever polls best with the gammons and keeps the grifting game going.

GABA ghoul has issued a correction as of 18:20 on Oct 23, 2019

poty
Jun 21, 2008

theyre probably just checking that the next brexit finale doesnt clash with the superbowl. halloween would have stolen a lot of attention

https://twitter.com/IvanTheK/status/1187055955957178370

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

tell me when to go
tell me when to go
tell me when to GOOOOO

dumb dumb dumb dumb

poty
Jun 21, 2008

gently caress off with the trolling macron

https://twitter.com/KellerZoe/status/1187054622952902656

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

poty posted:

theyre probably just checking that the next brexit finale doesnt clash with the superbowl. halloween would have stolen a lot of attention

super bowl? nobody involved in the brexit process cares about baseball lol

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

poty posted:

keep getting ready for brexit for a few more years even if the wab passes somehow

https://twitter.com/NinaDSchick/status/1187040268903735296

They "fear" it can't done. lol

Didn't it take 5 or 6 years for the deals with Canada and Japan?

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.

poty posted:

I know you yanks are like a cheap photocopy of us atm but nobody in Europe plays your bad sports

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

the centrist macron must appear tough to his domestic audience lest they go hon hon hon hon and joust him with a baguette

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

the centrist macron must appear tough to his domestic audience lest they go hon hon hon hon and joust him with a baguette

hon hon, at least 'e iz 'urting ze right people!

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

Baguette jousting is a proud and honorable French tradition.

e: hon hon hon

FMguru has issued a correction as of 19:42 on Oct 23, 2019

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

poty posted:

Excellent. Time enough for an appropriate ditch to be found.

Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

A brexit approaches. The door is slammed in its face. The brexit uses the butt of its ceremonial staff to knock on the door. The brexit is allowed in, as it always is.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

i say swears online posted:

Dumb tertiary question: why are the libdems strong in rural scotland, like the hebrides and shetland. Strong incumbents? They tend to serve quite a long time

Politics in rural Scotland is incredibly weird, they probably had some good policies about crofting or something ages ago and it carried on through some strange combination of inertia and localism.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Boris sent a handwritten note to the head of a select committee explaining why he wouldn't be giving evidence. As far as I can tell his reason is "I don't want to in my honeymoon period", but see what you can decipher from this loving mess.

https://twitter.com/sarahwollaston/status/1187063196345163776?s=19

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

lol i actually forgot that boris johnson unlawfully tried to prorogue parliament so they couldn't scrutinise him

he's so incredibly poo poo

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

Party Boat posted:

Boris sent a handwritten note to the head of a select committee explaining why he wouldn't be giving evidence. As far as I can tell his reason is "I don't want to in my honeymoon period", but see what you can decipher from this loving mess.

https://twitter.com/sarahwollaston/status/1187063196345163776?s=19

https://twitter.com/truemagic68/status/1187067997984317441?s=19

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_n0OcTI1Lo

khazar sansculotte
May 14, 2004

Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook! Ook? Ook. Ook? Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook? Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook? Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook? Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook? Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook? Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook? Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook? Ook. Ook. Ook? Ook. Ook? Ook. Ook? Ook. Ook? Ook. Ook? Ook. Ook? Ook. Ook? Ook. Ook? Ook. Ook! Ook! Ook? Ook! Ook. Ook? Ook! Ook! Ook! Ook! Ook! Ook! Ook! Ook! Ook. Ook? Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook? Ook! Ook! Ook. Ook? Ook! Ook! Ook! Ook! Ook. Ook? Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook? Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook? Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook? Ook. Ook? Ook. Ook? Ook. Ook? Ook. Ook? Ook. Ook? Ook. Ook? Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook! Ook? Ook. Ook? Ook! Ook. Ook. Ook? Ook! Ook. Ook. Ook? Ook! Ook. Ook. Ook? Ook! Ook. Ook. Ook? Ook! Ook. Ook. Ook? Ook! Ook. Ook. Ook? Ook! Ook. Ook. Ook? Ook! Ook. Ook? Ook. Ook? Ook. Ook? Ook. Ook? Ook. Ook? Ook. Ook? Ook. Ook? Ook. Ook? Ook. Ook? Ook!

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author
Why are you posting in Dutch in the Brexit thread?

Boris' handwriting is atrocious, I am shocked that they don't have mandatory penmanship classes at whatever horribly posh boarding school he attended

RobattoJesus
Aug 13, 2002

Ronald McReagan posted:

Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook! Ook? Ook. Ook? Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook? Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook? Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook? Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook? Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook? Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook? Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook? Ook. Ook. Ook? Ook. Ook? Ook. Ook? Ook. Ook? Ook. Ook? Ook. Ook? Ook. Ook? Ook. Ook? Ook. Ook! Ook! Ook? Ook! Ook. Ook? Ook! Ook! Ook! Ook! Ook! Ook! Ook! Ook! Ook. Ook? Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook? Ook! Ook! Ook. Ook? Ook! Ook! Ook! Ook! Ook. Ook? Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook? Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook? Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook? Ook. Ook? Ook. Ook? Ook. Ook? Ook. Ook? Ook. Ook? Ook. Ook? Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook! Ook? Ook. Ook? Ook! Ook. Ook. Ook? Ook! Ook. Ook. Ook? Ook! Ook. Ook. Ook? Ook! Ook. Ook. Ook? Ook! Ook. Ook. Ook? Ook! Ook. Ook. Ook? Ook! Ook. Ook. Ook? Ook! Ook. Ook? Ook. Ook? Ook. Ook? Ook. Ook? Ook. Ook? Ook. Ook? Ook. Ook? Ook. Ook? Ook. Ook? Ook!

You're absolutely right Librarian, we can stop Brexit using an L-Space wormhole!

Pipski
Apr 18, 2004

What is the constitutional position if the Prime Minister gets Sectioned?

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Pipski posted:

I believe the technical term is BREXIT

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
How you get a rude and a BREXIT?
Don't you be so crude and feckless
You been drinking brew for BREXIT
Boris can't fail (no, no)

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

Brexit Johnson's Diary

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

Michael Caine in The Italian Job: You were only supposed to Brexit the bloody Poles off

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

Pipski posted:

he is not locked in here with us. we are locked in here with him :stare:

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

BMX Ninja posted:

Michael Caine in The Italian Job: You were only supposed to Brexit the bloody Poles off

She was only brexteen!

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

twoday posted:

Why are you posting in Dutch in the Brexit thread?

Boris' handwriting is atrocious, I am shocked that they don't have mandatory penmanship classes at whatever horribly posh boarding school he attended

it's bojo. his whole thing is slovenly erudition, and he's not really that erudite

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!
https://twitter.com/BBCScotlandNews/status/1186666133539213318

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

ah, it's our old mate, the anonymous downing street source