Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
having the baronies shown is pretty important imo. europe is pretty cramped in CK2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KDdidit
Mar 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Muslim Marrakech MR game is improving as I surprised myself and took everything in the Kingdom of Andalusia (curse you MRs can’t usurp Kingdom titles) with 2 merc bands and my forces. Might be hitting a religious authority problem though as Shi’a has none of the holy sites, I’m nowhere near them, and the Abbasids have them all with at least 10x the troops as I have. Early on there were plenty of easy religious war targets to raise it, but now I border the Abbasids in North Africa and the Ummayids in Spain and am just left with African tribes south of me that take forever to get to and the pagan attrition swamp.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

The knight system is interesting for pure feudal countries, but I would like some way to get to the standing professional army retinues are meant to represent. Though it should come with some drawbacks. Like the more of a standing army you keep the less levy you can raise, and so on. Leaving you with a powerful but brittle force, since if your retinue gets rolled you can't really do much about it beyond hiring mercs.

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT
Dynamic Melting Pots or Die

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Eimi posted:

The knight system is interesting for pure feudal countries, but I would like some way to get to the standing professional army retinues are meant to represent. Though it should come with some drawbacks. Like the more of a standing army you keep the less levy you can raise, and so on. Leaving you with a powerful but brittle force, since if your retinue gets rolled you can't really do much about it beyond hiring mercs.

Wasnt the historical tradeoff between levies and professional armies that professional armies are better in every single way but require vast resources, infrastructure and a centralized bureaucracy to actually have one and levies and much much cheaper to maintain?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

AnEdgelord posted:

Wasnt the historical tradeoff between levies and professional armies that professional armies are better in every single way but require vast resources, infrastructure and a centralized bureaucracy to actually have one and levies and much much cheaper to maintain?

in one word, yes. levies in general fell out of favor more and more as the world got rich and stable enough to support professional armies, though you can definitely see instances where 'levies' became a thing again (any time a draft has been instituted).

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

Top Hats Monthly posted:

MaxieSatan
Oct 19, 2017

critical support for anarchists

Top Hats Monthly posted:

:emptyquote:

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

My son, the prince of Viking Egypt, will be named Bjornaziz ibn Koladin Muhammadsson and he will make empires tremble

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-
*Vince McMahon looking intrigued* Dynamic Melting Pots
*Vince McMahon falling over backwards in his chair* Dynamic Melting Pots, with inheritable cultural traits

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

super fart shooter posted:

*Vince McMahon looking intrigued* Dynamic Melting Pots
*Vince McMahon falling over backwards in his chair* Dynamic Melting Pots, with inheritable cultural traits

That would be interesting as hell, and if I can still keep the useful parts of a culture (like raiding for Berbers), I wouldn't care anymore if I ended up with a weird melting pot culture.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

AnEdgelord posted:

Yeah like Coolguye said they required a very centralized state that could collect taxes and actually pay it's standing troops. This was a very hard thing to do. As well like I said standing armies were brittle. You needed troops who were trained enough to understand commands and disciplined enough that they would actually follow them in battle. You can't just replace losses. So losing a battle, or even risking a Pyrrhic victory, are something large standing armies had to avoid since once you lose your army, that's it until you get a few years to retrain.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

Are the challenge awards tied to your steam account or a PDX account? I use multiple steam accounts for things and I'd like to make sure whatever I earn is usable where I want it.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Neurion posted:

Are the challenge awards tied to your steam account or a PDX account? I use multiple steam accounts for things and I'd like to make sure whatever I earn is usable where I want it.

I think I read in their announcement that it’s your Paradox account.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Neurion posted:

I assume it's your PDX account because they make you log in to your Paradox account in game before you can do the challenges.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

MaxieSatan posted:

Something that just occurred to me: maybe CK3 will make Culture shifts more sensible, which I would appreciate a lot

I hope culture in general plays a larger role in CK3. I've always found the movements, interactions and evolutions of culture to be fascinating. So, uh...

Top Hats Monthly posted:

yes, please.

Is this a Paradox themed webcomic? That's... well, super niche but kinda hilarious.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yeah the weird nature of culture and religion being a fixed per-province thing is an odd aspect of CK2. Like the game does easily model the issues that arise from having a ruler that is a different culture/religion than the people they're ruling over, but it doesn't model very well the difference between monocultures and melting pots - as far as the map is concerned everywhere is a monoculture and when culture shifts happen, it's just one monoculture gets replaced with another. I don't think Victoria style pops would be appropriate, but it would probably make sense for counties to at least measure culture as a sort of percentage thing, where you get like, 50% Italian, 50% Lombard, where those proportions grow or shrink over time based on various factors, rather than one day all the Lombards just decide they're Italian now.

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-
Culture has always felt to me like something that they maybe intended to expand upon in a DLC but never got around to. There are very few ways that the player can interact with it, and it really doesn't affect most aspects of the game, unless you have a culture with special powers, or a really good cultural special unit. The diplomatic effects are pretty minor, and decrease even more over time, with tech advances.

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

I say we take off and surrender unconditionally from orbit.

It's the only way to be sure

In Challenge News, I got the Gold for murdering de Normandies in the loveliest way. Duelled the second last person I needed, Richard who was King of England and despite being my Rival had made me Marshal and Master of the Hunt, and ran him through with a spear.

Suddenly discovered that the new Queen of England was a one-year old girl. And I was now Regent. :unsmigghh:

Even though the baby sent me a kind request to End my Plot to murder her, I had to politely decline.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

All of the special cultural abilities seem weird to restrict. There's raiding, river navigation, Tanistry, absolute cognatic, blinding, castration, and Monastic Feudalism. They don't so much seem like they're meant to be very simulationist or give neat playable features as they are weird ways to plug up holes in edge cases. It's weird that only vikings can use rivers ever, or that some cultures can just raid whenever and however and some just can't. Historically, the whole Byzantine no deformed rulers rule got broken by one dude what had his face cut in two, but led a rebellion and became emperor again anyways, so it's plausible for that to just be a succession law.

They DO come up with neat abilities for animal worlds though. And unique units feel fine and largely aesthetic to me anyways, since I have no clue how the details of the fighting system work.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
One of my biggest hopes for CK3 is that the Byzantines and their Imperial system are better represented in the game mechanics rather than having to conform to a similar structure as the Feudal kingdoms.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

AnEdgelord posted:

One of my biggest hopes for CK3 is that the Byzantines and their Imperial system are better represented in the game mechanics rather than having to conform to a similar structure as the Feudal kingdoms.

I feel like this sort of thing is definitely going to be on their minds because it was a very known thing as the game went on how the system made less and less sense for what it was supposed to be representing. Like the feudalism as represented isn't even strictly accurate to most of western Europe, but it's a suitable simplification just because nobody is going to want to learn hundreds of different inheritance laws just to play a video game, but with a chance to start over from scratch I imagine they're going to be much more aware of "okay this system also needs to accommodate India, the Byzantines, Muslims, etc."

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

The next movie better not make me shave anything :(

I would like to see the ability to have reformed religions chose to have similar to Islam, where you can hold Temple and Castle holdings. Especially if you are The Pagan Pope.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist

SlothfulCobra posted:

All of the special cultural abilities seem weird to restrict. There's raiding, river navigation, Tanistry, absolute cognatic, blinding, castration, and Monastic Feudalism. They don't so much seem like they're meant to be very simulationist or give neat playable features as they are weird ways to plug up holes in edge cases. It's weird that only vikings can use rivers ever, or that some cultures can just raid whenever and however and some just can't. Historically, the whole Byzantine no deformed rulers rule got broken by one dude what had his face cut in two, but led a rebellion and became emperor again anyways, so it's plausible for that to just be a succession law.

They DO come up with neat abilities for animal worlds though. And unique units feel fine and largely aesthetic to me anyways, since I have no clue how the details of the fighting system work.

Both here and in EU4 I'd rather see cultural limits to be much softer. Right now it reminds me of something like Endless Legend but even there most actions are available to everyone. E.g. when they've added espionage and faction that specializes in it - everyone got access to espionage, they just aren't good in it.

So I'd rather see most actions/governments available to everyone but culture gives easier access. E.g. pillaging: I think it should be available to everyone, but most religions give you piety hit for it (and maybe smaller piety hit if you do it on the infidel), same with concubines or marrying/allying infidel (for some reason I'm really mad how crusader states can't ally Muslims they historically allied; Charlemagne start even has events to simulate this), or with character voluntarily changing the religion (which Lithuanian dukes did, they switched between Paganism, Catholicism and Orthodoxy). In EU4 culture-limited governments make little sense, but at least I understand they don't want everyone to end up Prussian - still, they could make it impractical or very costly to become Prussian-style monarchy and Prussians get an easier way to get there.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

https://www.usgamer.net/articles/paradox-answers-12-major-questions-about-crusader-kings-3

https://www.reddit.com/r/CrusaderKings/comments/dlw1uo/i_got_to_talk_to_the_ck3_devs_for_over_two_hours/f4uo07f/?st=k231rg1g&sh=411ec821

Here's a preview and further comments from TJ Hafer who is really into it.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars
No dev diaries yet, right?

A lot of interesting info.

quote:

Playing pagans feels "significantly different" from CK2.
I wonder what that means.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

They talked about how Muslims have "clan" government, so it's very dependant on relationships. I suspect Pagans have something like that too. They also don't care about province development.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

quote:

Intrigue in Crusader Kings 3 is greatly expanded from Crusader Kings 2, using a system of secrets, favors, and 'Hooks' to craft schemes. Basically, getting dirt on your enemies, vassals, and even liege can give you leverage over them that can shield you from their aggressions and force them to do your bidding.

"There's now blackmail in the game," Fåhreus explains. "Characters have secrets. If you murdered someone, that might become a secret I can find out. And there are also secret traits. So if someone is a sexual deviant, and I know that, I can blackmail that person. So we call things like favors and blackmail and other things, like mental manipulation—other flavorful things—we're calling them 'Hooks' right now. And Hooks are something I can spend to get my way. And just by sitting on a Hook, they know that I know their secret. It means they won't attack me. So it's good to have these Hooks. And you want to spy on other characters to keep them in line, which is all about the intrigue gameplay we want to foster."

Wow thats another feature Ive always wanted on CK2 and suggested many times.

I have to say Im getting pretty hyped

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

But can you generate fake news?

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

SelenicMartian posted:

But can you generate fake news?
You mean 'vicious rumors'?

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
I'd like to get started with After The End but I have no idea what thing on the steam workshop I should download or if I should even be doing this through the steam workshop, can anyone point me in the right direction?

Horsebanger
Jun 25, 2009

Steering wheel! Hey! Steering wheel! Someone tell him to give it to me!

Carcer posted:

I'd like to get started with After The End but I have no idea what thing on the steam workshop I should download or if I should even be doing this through the steam workshop, can anyone point me in the right direction?

https://steamcommunity.com/workshop/filedetails/?id=1341894851

I had trouble finding it as it is now called After The End Fan Fork.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Carcer posted:

i personally have trouble getting it to work on steam and just download it off moddb, but that's a personal problem of mine

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-

quote:

Feudal rulers also have to manage vassal contracts (so for instance, a powerful vassal might demand a new contract to pay lower taxes)

This could be cool. I always thought tributaries were a nice inclusion in CK2, and having different obligations for different vassals would be an interesting thing to manage. You could have one vassal who pays you lots of taxes and has no military obligation, some small, weak vassals who need to contribute significant taxes and levies and hate you for it, and another marcher lord vassal who pays no taxes and has lots of autonomy, but has to join your wars as an ally

MaxieSatan
Oct 19, 2017

critical support for anarchists

quote:

Religions have degrees of relation. Abrahamic > Christian > Catholic.

Eastern Religions are still more tolerant of heresies.

Ecumenism: Catholics/Orthodox/Coptic don't treat each other as heresies for purposes of CBs and stuff. There are steps of tolerance. It's not just "True Faith, Heretic, or Heathen".

Nice.

quote:

Poetry generator that will actually make your poetry better or worse based on character skill.
Day One Purchase

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Well, you can't holy war Orthodox/Catholics as a Catholic/Orthodox ruler in CK2, either. But the inter-faith relations being more granular in general is a welcome development.

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

how did actual Catholics and Orthodox see each other in these times? I know the sack of Constantinople was regarded as a tragedy by a lot of people and even condemned by the pope (at least until they won). was it mostly “they’re Christians like us, but slightly wrong”? why did they come down so much harder on heresies than the Orthodox? is it a matter of scale - the orthodox had the Roman Empire on their side so persecution would be punished, whereas heresies had little temporal power so could be crushed easily?

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
The schism is/was viewed as more of a disagreement that could eventually be healed while also having already been outside the direct purview of each other wrt taxes and general control. Heresies are more biblical in nature while also tending to hit closer to home and directly challenge the local dominant church.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Catholic and Orthodox churches viewed each other as Christians, just sub optimal Christians and also weirdos. Popes and Patriarchs would excommunicate one another and every now and then you'd get a bishop theatrically declaring the other side to be heretics but both churches recognized each other as fellow brothers in Christ.

Places like Cyprus where you'd have both churches in close proximity led to a "live and let live" attitude and they'd even share art and restoration projects with each other.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

The Crusades themselves were the result of Catholic and Orthodox cooperation, at least initially -- Alexios asked the Pope for help repelling the Turks, and the initial understanding was that anything conquered by the crusaders would return to Byzantine sovereignty.

Didn't exactly work out that way as we all know, but the kings of Jerusalem intermarried with Byzantine princesses a lot and they even tried to conquer Egypt together once.

E: Don't get me wrong, Catholic and Orthodox realms beat the poo poo out of each other all the time too, but it was for boring political purposes rather than religious, most of the time.

ninjahedgehog fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Oct 23, 2019