Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

silvergoose posted:

I mean yeah but the battles are themselves named after places, and by the transitive property...

Even so it's not like we talk about "the" battle of say Tunisia or Burma.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
I played the EU board game that's on KS right now.

I feel like it's pretty fragile in that the players do need to really go at each other for it to work, it sort of reminds me of VQ, though that could be the nature of the 3-player scenario where there's no one to directly oppose Spain unless France wants to.

I liked the mechanisms in general, they felt like they flowed about as quickly as a game like that can reasonably do. It's still gonna be pretty long unless you've got people who are on point and thinking about their actions in advance. I'm going to try to get in some more TTS plays to give a more detailed review.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Jedit posted:

Something that cropped up on Facebook:

* If it's named solely for a place, it's a Euro.
* If it's named solely for a date, it's an 18XX.
* If it's named for both, it's a wargame.

I'm trying hard to come up with a counterexample.

Gloomhaven is pretty Euro.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

bobvonunheil posted:

Thanks, now I don't have to spend any Real on it
Disco Elysium is some good rear end poo poo

I need to buy it again on a character with with high suggestion so I can get Kim to play it with me. :(

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

e:oops

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Tias posted:

Any recommendations for a group that appreciates Memoir' 44 and Axis and Allies 41, but would like it slightly more nerdy/simulationist?

In addition to the tactical stuff, Quartermaster General 1914 is basically Axis & Allies except it plays in less than two hours with very fast turns. It's still pretty light and not very simulationist, but it gets the feel of the war pretty well

Gaebril
Dec 18, 2016
Here's my top 9. It feels like I'm weighting it towards heavier games. For all that I love Dominion it's hard to pick it over a more memorable experience.

I own every game there except Dune, which I only have as a PnP based on Scott's build and Starbase Jeff's rules. Will be getting the new printing for sure.

Shout out to BattleLore 2E as being the best of the C&C games that I've tried. Dynamically created scenarios, more distinct units, this is a clear step up from Memoir 44 and it's really a shame that FFG discontinued it for Runewars.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Gaebril posted:

Here's my top 9. It feels like I'm weighting it towards heavier games. For all that I love Dominion it's hard to pick it over a more memorable experience.

I own every game there except Dune, which I only have as a PnP based on Scott's build and Starbase Jeff's rules. Will be getting the new printing for sure.

Shout out to BattleLore 2E as being the best of the C&C games that I've tried. Dynamically created scenarios, more distinct units, this is a clear step up from Memoir 44 and it's really a shame that FFG discontinued it for Runewars.

Is dungeon twister actually good then? Me and a friend started playing a store copy once, playing the training game to learn the rules, and I can't remember what happened exactly, but there was some point where we both looked up at each other, and both kinda just went "this is exhausting".

Gaebril
Dec 18, 2016
Dungeon Twister is a brainburner, that's for sure. It's a complex spatial abstract that just happens to be covered with a nice coat of paint, it's almost purely deterministic save for initial conditions and simultaneous selection, and it rewards thinking multiple turns ahead while having to imagine board sections rotating in your head. Challenging but very rewarding against someone at a similar level. If I were setting it up against a new player I'd make sure to set the right expectation.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010
Yea, Dungeon Twister is a pretty overlooked gem in that space, I wish I could play it more often.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

If they Kickstarted a Dungeon Twister complete (including the expansions that we didn't get), it would be a day 1 purchase/double dip. But it'd probably have minis instead of the standees so it'll cost like a billion dollars.

Dungeon Twister is a fun as hell game that is really, really overlooked, likely due to its lack of availability.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.
I really enjoyed the setup of dungeon twister, it was a very interesting system that allowed for some cool strategic choices

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
He's doing a new edition of DT, not sure if it's going to KS or not. It's supposed to have a co-op mode as well.

e: actually iirc it is going to KS.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Anything I should know about Arkham Horror 3rd Edition - commonly misplayed/forgotten rules, any unstated-yet-totally-necessary strategies, things like that? I'll probably be playing solitaire or two player.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Dungeon Twister is on boiteajeux or boardgamearena or Yucata... Don't remember offhand but it's playable online for whoever is curious but can't find a copy.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

T-Bone posted:

He's doing a new edition of DT, not sure if it's going to KS or not. It's supposed to have a co-op mode as well.

e: actually iirc it is going to KS.

This is great news but I can't find any info on it. Looks like the webpage doesn't work either.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Panzeh posted:

I played the EU board game that's on KS right now.

I feel like it's pretty fragile in that the players do need to really go at each other for it to work, it sort of reminds me of VQ, though that could be the nature of the 3-player scenario where there's no one to directly oppose Spain unless France wants to.

I liked the mechanisms in general, they felt like they flowed about as quickly as a game like that can reasonably do. It's still gonna be pretty long unless you've got people who are on point and thinking about their actions in advance. I'm going to try to get in some more TTS plays to give a more detailed review.

I'd love to hear more when you get a chance. Our group loves big crunchy games and the theme of this would be on point.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

GrandpaPants posted:

This is great news but I can't find any info on it. Looks like the webpage doesn't work either.

I saw the info a while back. So far as I know Boelinger has put it on hold while getting through the lengthy delays on Living Planet. I think he'll be at Spiel; if he is, and I see him, I'll ask.

Amorphous Abode
Apr 2, 2010

We may have finally found unobtainium but I will never find eywa.

Heads up, the local Walmart lowered their copies of Santorini down into deep clearance today. $3 a copy, so, keep your eyes peeled I guess!

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

OK, Spielgoons - the plan is that we meet after the fair on Thursday and go to Frittenwerk on Kettwigerstrasse to eat around 7.30pm. They mainly serve poutine and fried potato products starting from €5.

From there we will decamp to the Holiday Inn on Frohnhauserstrasse (not the Holiday Inn Express) for a bit of gaming. This is about 500m from Frittenwerk and 200m from Berlinerplatz U-Bahn - walk south past the Cinemaxx, it's first right after the Spielotek. We should get there between 8 and 8.30. Don't worry about not being a guest, they won't ask questions if you order a drink so just head for the conference rooms (through the lobby bar).

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Jedit posted:

They mainly serve poutine and fried potato products starting from €5.

literally the best thing for purchase at Spiel 2019 :v:

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Bottom Liner posted:

literally the best thing for purchase at Spiel 2019 :v:

lmao

(Does sound tasty though!)

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

silvergoose posted:

lmao

(Does sound tasty though!)

I'm looking forward to it. They stopped doing the pastrami poutine that I had last year, but they've replaced it with meatballs in Thai peanut sauce topped with sour cream, roasted peanuts and parsley. That upgraded with garlic fries sounds just the job.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

GrandpaPants posted:

I haven't heard anything since: https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/2185316/news-about-dungeon-twister

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Hey, 2019 is more recent than I thought it'd be! What's the eta on Living Planet?

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
It should be shipping from the manufacturer really soon now. All the production stuff is wrapped up, from what I remember.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

The Eyes Have It posted:

It should be shipping from the manufacturer really soon now. All the production stuff is wrapped up, from what I remember.

Last update said it was due out of the factory on Sunday. Delivery anticipated between late November and early January depending on your location.

They're going to have an All-In at Spiel, I intend to look so I can gauge shelf space requirements.

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

I trusted a rhino and deserve all that came to me

Man, Via Nebula really is better than $17.

It's got this wonderful brinksmanship of not wanting to be too helpful to other people, and just trying to get the timing down, so you can have a really good turn, without leaving anyone the opportunity to mess you up before your next one by taking the last brick(Jeff!!), or buying the only building in the market that needs stone(Me!!). It goes ridiculously fast, too. Quick rules explanation, quick turns, we finished a 4 player game in an hour and forty five minutes, but that was with a lengthy pause in the middle to put a baby to bed. It and Blue Lagoon will probably be my go-to gateway games. Also this might be the best insert of any game I have?

Makes me even more keen to track down a copy of Black Fleet, from the same publisher.

Amazon still has Via Nebula for less than $20, down from the MSRP of $49.99, so people should get it before it disappears.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

That's a lot of words to say "Via Nebula has piggies".

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

El Fideo posted:

Man, Via Nebula really is better than $17.

It's got this wonderful brinksmanship of not wanting to be too helpful to other people, and just trying to get the timing down, so you can have a really good turn, without leaving anyone the opportunity to mess you up before your next one by taking the last brick(Jeff!!), or buying the only building in the market that needs stone(Me!!). It goes ridiculously fast, too. Quick rules explanation, quick turns, we finished a 4 player game in an hour and forty five minutes, but that was with a lengthy pause in the middle to put a baby to bed. It and Blue Lagoon will probably be my go-to gateway games. Also this might be the best insert of any game I have?

Makes me even more keen to track down a copy of Black Fleet, from the same publisher.

Amazon still has Via Nebula for less than $20, down from the MSRP of $49.99, so people should get it before it disappears.

It's a great game and for some reason underappreciated. Does a lot of the Wallace stuff in a quick, cute package.

Chubbs
Feb 13, 2008

In a thousand years, Gandahar was destroyed. A thousand years ago, Gandahar will be saved, and what can't be avoided will be.
Grimey Drawer
On a similar note if people aren't watching the deals thread, Takenoko is about 18 bucks on Amazon right now, which is a steal.

Robo-Slap
Jun 5, 2011

Chubbs posted:

On a similar note if people aren't watching the deals thread, Takenoko is about 18 bucks on Amazon right now, which is a steal.

On another similar note, Azul is down to $20

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Ugh, until I can find a copy of Letter Jam locally either in Ottawa or Toronto, I think I'm just going to proxy the game using Hardback cards.

Regret not picking it up earlier when I had the chance.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Letter Jam was not a fun experience for me but I’m also over most co-op party games.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Is Cannes or Duck Dealer an actually interesting game? I hope someone here's played it. I saw someone selling either for $55 shipped, and I know of DD's initial unpopularity but wanted to know if they aged well. If there are similar games you feel already cover their mechanics, please include those. I might already have them and not feel the need to get either in that case.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

al-azad posted:

Letter Jam was not a fun experience for me but I’m also over most co-op party games.

I'd never play Letter Jam at a party, it is way too thought-intensive for that. Like, it's a somewhat casual co-op game, but I think calling it a party game is a misnomer.

That said, fair enough. My gf, our friend, and I played it with a stranger and we had some fun, even though a mixup on my end at the beginning of the game meant I screwed up my word entirely. It's definitely a game I want to play with some friends again.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Yeah, I don't like Letter Jam because it has the problem of one early mistake ruining your whole game with no way of knowing until the end.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Bottom Liner posted:

Yeah, I don't like Letter Jam because it has the problem of one early mistake ruining your whole game with no way of knowing until the end.

This was my experience with Alchemists, and I'm never playing it for a second time.

(I put one of my experiment results in the wrong okay and didn't realize it until a few more in, so my entire research was useless and I effectively couldn't play)

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
If I enjoy Great Zimbabwe, Food Chain Magnate, and Indonesia will I by extension enjoy Antiquity & Road&Boats? What I love about all 3 of those above splotter titles is the sandbox economic nature of the games where play interaction shapes the game narrative.

I've been hesitant to jump on Antiquity, because I've read multiple reviews stating there's very little player interaction and even the pollution dumping aspect is relatively minor. I've seen multiple reviews use the words "multiplayer solitaire". Is it really that different from their other designs in this respect?

Roads&Boats I know almost nothing about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Megasabin posted:

If I enjoy Great Zimbabwe, Food Chain Magnate, and Indonesia will I by extension enjoy Antiquity & Road&Boats? What I love about all 3 of those above splotter titles is the sandbox economic nature of the games where play interaction shapes the game narrative.

I've been hesitant to jump on Antiquity, because I've read multiple reviews stating there's very little player interaction and even the pollution dumping aspect is relatively minor. I've seen multiple reviews use the words "multiplayer solitaire". Is it really that different from their other designs in this respect?

Roads&Boats I know almost nothing about.

There can be interaction in Antiquity, depending on how far you expand from your initial city. One of the victory conditions, for example, is to envelop another player entirely in your influence. And when you start getting close, suddenly you're able to dump any pollution around their land, especially if your influence is greater than theirs.

That said, if you're specifically looking for player interaction, I wouldn't recommend Antiquity.