Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snack Bitch
May 15, 2008

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
My rating system is

1 - disgusting
2 - smoked beers
3 - average
3.5 - average, but I am in area with lovely beer
4 - might order again
5 - delicious

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantrill
Nov 18, 2005

Snack Bitch posted:

2 - smoked beers

Thems fightin' words!

I feel like 3.5 for average beers is too high. I rate average at 2.5 with anything below that as bad or a barley wine, and anything above as good or great.

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus
Ypu probably buy beer that's better than average on average, so it makes sense for the average to be higher than the actual numeric average.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Snack Bitch posted:

My rating system is

1 - disgusting
2 - smoked beers
3 - average
3.5 - average, but I am in area with lovely beer
4 - might order again
5 - delicious

Same

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

I guess the 0.1 rating system is only available for Untappd supporters? lol @ spending $50/yr to become one

Snack Bitch
May 15, 2008

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Klaus Kinski posted:

Ypu probably buy beer that's better than average on average, so it makes sense for the average to be higher than the actual numeric average.

Exactly, only the worst breweries don’t realize they can’t make an average beer.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man
gently caress untappd btw- when the former Answer brewer told one of the founders that all the Andall stuff is beer cocktails, which are forbidden per their terms of service, the dude literally shrugged and said, "they get a lot of check-ins"

sorry/not sorry if i've posted that before

DROP TABLE PHIZ
Feb 10, 2018

IF YOU AIN'T GETTIN LIT YOU BETTER STAY OUT BITCH
user engagement trumps all

nah
Mar 16, 2009

Reminder that literally every smoked beer is garbage and if you disagree you're garbage

"B-b-but the Schlenkerla Helles-"

No bitch. No. Trash beer

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

nah posted:

Reminder that literally every smoked beer is garbage and if you disagree you're garbage

No bitch. No. Trash beer

When I was younger and less sophisticated, this was a take I agreed with.

Don't worry. You'll grow out of it one day.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy
Drank beer. Great floral hoppy notes with an amazing finish. I can't believe beer like this is being produced here. I could even taste the region the hops and malts hailed from. Truly wonderful.

rated 2.85/5.00

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
My rating list is:
1. Hops.

2. Hops

3. Hops

4. Malts

5. Barrel aged / PBR

DROP TABLE PHIZ
Feb 10, 2018

IF YOU AIN'T GETTIN LIT YOU BETTER STAY OUT BITCH

nah posted:

No bitch. No. Trash beer

nah

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

ShortyMR.CAT posted:

Drank beer. Great floral hoppy notes with an amazing finish. I can't believe beer like this is being produced here. I could even taste the region the hops and malts hailed from. Truly wonderful.

rated 2.85/5.00

Beer was delicious. Crisp, hoppy, like drinking sunshine on the first warm day of spring. My desert island beer. Taproom is awful though. When I was there last Friday at 7 pm I asked for samples of all 17 beers one at a time and then I forgot which ones I liked so I asked for a second taste of a few and they CHARGED me for a half pour! Uh excuse me it’s called a sample for a reason? Will NOT be going back!

rated 0.75/5.00

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

DarkSoulsTantrum posted:

Beer was delicious. Crisp, hoppy, like drinking sunshine on the first warm day of spring. My desert island beer. Taproom is awful though. When I was there last Friday at 7 pm I asked for samples of all 17 beers one at a time and then I forgot which ones I liked so I asked for a second taste of a few and they CHARGED me for a half pour! Uh excuse me it’s called a sample for a reason? Will NOT be going back!

rated 0.75/5.00

Alternatively; "Refused to give sample of all 4 barley wines or do 12oz pours. Garbage brewery"

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

nah posted:

No bitch. No. Trash beer

People all have different tastes and like what they like. I detest smoked beers but I won't make fun of people for it or scoff when someone orders one at a bar.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Just had a Fruli.

The last time I drank one was about 15 years ago.

It was a nice beer.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Seeing a lot of broken people trying to drag everyone down to their level of misery on this page.

I used to use Untappd religiously but stopped about a year ago after checking in was taking too long when trying deliciousness with my buddies.

Beer is good, barleywines are good, barrel aging can be good, rauchbiers can be good.

gently caress yo' lager tho.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Spanish Manlove posted:

People all have different tastes and like what they like. I detest smoked beers but I won't make fun of people for it or scoff when someone orders one at a bar.

I scoff at you and nah for your pedestrian, smokeless taste

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

danbanana posted:

Live Oak convinced me of their potential, but smoked beer will never be the first thing in mind for me

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Had a Lawsons App Gap Saison tonight and let me tell you https://youtu.be/ussCHoQttyQ

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Nth Doctor posted:

gently caress yo' lager tho.

What u fuckin say??!1

:argh:

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~

danbanana posted:

I'm almost having the opposite experience. Loved my first smoked beer not too long after I could legally drink, and I've just been chasing the high of that taste since then. I think I've gotten too used to stuff so I guess at the time it overwhelmed my inexperienced taste buds and now I'll never recapture that sensation.

RembrandtQEinstein
Jul 1, 2009

A GOD, A MESSIAH, AN ARCHANGEL, A KING, A PRINCE, AND AN ALL TERRAIN VEHICLE.

ShortyMR.CAT posted:

My rating list is:
1. Hops.

2. Hops

3. Hops

4. Malts

5. Barrel aged / PBR

This is a good rating.

I just give beers ratings on if they should change stuff to make it better. 5 means heck yeah don't change.

PBR is...definitely achieving what it's trying to do.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
5 being the highest. Hops comes in 1st, 2nd, and 3rd because I hate ipas, but enjoy pale ales, but also hate myself.

nah
Mar 16, 2009

Spanish Manlove posted:

If someone orders a smoke beer near me I grab my gun and shoot their head off

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
What's your opinion on smoked liquors ? Or meats?

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Smoked meats are stellar, smoked liquors ehhhhh. I can't even think of examples of the latter.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Podima posted:

Smoked meats are stellar, smoked liquors ehhhhh. I can't even think of examples of the latter.

Scotch???

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Heh, Founders is dropping out of the Michigan Brewer's Guild festival in Detroit this weekend. At least one other brewery had already said they would not attend as long as Founders was present.

I hope they end up getting kicked out of the Guild considering they are no longer Michigan-owned.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Podima posted:

I really enjoy Stolen Rum. Try it. Smoked everything all day

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Sirotan posted:

I hope they end up getting kicked out of the Guild considering they are no longer Michigan-owned.

my immediate thought was, "wait, they're not Michigan-owned"

also, lol

mezcal can pretty smoky, too, although i believe it's technically roasted, not smoked

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

funkybottoms posted:

i believe it's technically roasted, not smoked

The crowd at the last NA meeting I went to didn't appreciate this distinction

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

I’d try them.

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Oct 23, 2019

Captain Duvel
Dec 14, 2009
Funkybottoms,

The gently caress Bois I occasionally drink with will not shut the gently caress up about answer. And while I do enjoy some of their creations, every time they come up I insist it's not beer and no one wants to listen. Do you have anymore or recent hard evidence so I can shut them up?

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Gay Retard posted:

I’d try them.

I dont think Id pay for these but I would definitely do a daring heist to abscond with them into the night, providing founders with no money and myself with delicious beer

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Gay Retard posted:

I’d try them.

lmao holy poo poo

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!

Captain Duvel posted:

Funkybottoms,

The gently caress Bois I occasionally drink with will not shut the gently caress up about answer. And while I do enjoy some of their creations, every time they come up I insist it's not beer and no one wants to listen. Do you have anymore or recent hard evidence so I can shut them up?

I know you didn't direct this at me but I did briefly work there. I'd see kegs of berliner weiss/gose/stout that weren't on Answer or Mekong's menus coming in all the time. Anderson Valley Holy Gose, Founders Breakfast/Imperial Stout, this berliner from some no-name contract brewer in VA, stuff like that. I'd like to be able to say that any Answer employee would be able to tell you what the base beers are, but training and management were absolute dogshit during the time I was there and I don't expect that they've improved. Stories I've heard of people asking and their server/bartender not knowing and having to ask would seem to corroborate this. So either they've changed and they're running that place well from a FOH perspective (doubtful) or they're still not explicitly telling their staff what's up, which they really should, morally speaking.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Captain Duvel posted:

Funkybottoms,

What evidence to you need? It's beer mixed with tons of fruit juice. On a scale between tropical fruit juice and sour beer, the crowlers taste more like fruit juice.

They're obsessed with beermosas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

not gonna soapbox too hard on the Answer again- i have many paragraphs in me and am friends with their original brewer, upon whom much of their reputation is built- but, yeah, integrity and ABC laws are regularly sacrificed at the altar of personality. buy the cheapest, most sugary purees and flavor syrups you can find and add them to whatever beer you like- now you've got an Andall beer! they're located in a little strip mall and bought the space next to them in order to "expand the brewery," but last time i was over there it was full of literally hundreds of kegs of future Andall kegs sitting out warm- pallets of FBS, AV Gose, Avery Jacob's, etc. as prayer group pointed out, it is actually a very poorly-run business and they lose tons of money on these things, but stroking some shitlord's ego by naming a loving Andall after them <coughkromerjuicecough> keeps people coming back, i guess.