Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

Do what? Give my opinions on things happening in real time like everyone else here? Probably.

Republicans are deliberately disrupting lawful hearings and Democrats are letting them. Am I incorrect about that?

You always jump to conclusions and scream about how nothing matters and how the Democrats aren't going to do poo poo about anything

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

evilweasel posted:

i wouldn't go overboard with that, "someone" (assuredly a democrat) leaked the opening statement yesterday well before the depo was done. its the electronic devices that are real bad because then it's the russians/chinese deciding what's leaking out of the SCIF instead of (as usual) the reps

At least they had the good sense to do it anonymously and via a backchannel rather than just tweeting it out under their own name (and then saying UHHHH *STAFF TWEET*)

gently caress it I don't know.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

How bad must have Taylor's testimony been for them if they're escalating this hard this suddenly, though.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

wapo covering this the right way

https://twitter.com/washingtonpost/status/1187038738209234944

i can't bring myself to read what the nyt is saying

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Cabbit posted:

How bad must have Taylor's testimony been for them if they're escalating this hard this suddenly, though.

it was bad enough that the only response senate republicans have managed is that they refuse to comment until they get the stuff "officially" because perhaps the leaks were fake?!?!?!?!?!?!

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Data Graham posted:

It doesn't EVEN matter

The entire point of a SCIF is to prevent the exfiltration of data.

Regardless of the medium they're using, simply admitting that they're circumventing the SCIF to send ANY information of ANY kind out to the world via ANY means is a huge god drat deal

A big deal to who? Who cares? Who gives a poo poo about this kind of thing in govt anymore?

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
When they had the public hearings about the whistleblower, the GOP made a point to say that having them in public instead of behind closed doors was to make it a spectacle and to get media attention. And that never has a whistleblower complaint had public hearings about it.

Now they do stuff behind closed doors and the GOP is saying that it is all in secret? WTF.

I suppose they can just go back and forth on this stance and their base won't really care

Andronian
Feb 17, 2012

so the flow here is

information in the SCIF ->
mob of Republicans who aren’t supposed to be there ->
some form of communication relaying the message to staff ->
staff tweeting updates to the public

why.... how is that better than them actually just straight up tweeting it. adding one layer of complication isn’t changing what’s happening lmao

:psyduck:

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Username + post

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

There has to be a way they can remove these people or they will do this every day

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Willo567 posted:

You always jump to conclusions and scream about how nothing matters and how the Democrats aren't going to do poo poo about anything

I've said The Great Mattering is upon us for a while now.

But I reserve the right to judge Democrats by their past behaviors until they take action to prove otherwise. I don't know for a fact that they'd allow an ignored subpoena to stand, for example, but they have before and that's what I base my prediction on. Same for everything else.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Data Graham posted:

It doesn't EVEN matter

The entire point of a SCIF is to prevent the exfiltration of data.

Regardless of the medium they're using, simply admitting that they're circumventing the SCIF to send ANY information of ANY kind out to the world via ANY means is a huge god drat deal

oh man the Russians might find out what toppings are on that pizza :ohdear:

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Willo567 posted:

Surely there's a way to stop the Republicans from doing this?

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Cabbit posted:

Yeah, that's my main takeaway from this - Republicans appear to be extremely shook by yesterday's testimony.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

PIZZA.BAT posted:

So they found a way to filibuster the investigation, then?

Yes.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Andronian posted:

so the flow here is

why.... how is that better than them actually just straight up tweeting it. adding one layer of complication isn’t changing what’s happening lmao

Forget it, they're rolling.

Better answer: Government and laws are all performative pieces. Sov cits have the right idea but they're missing the key ingredient of "be really rich first"

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

FlamingLiberal posted:

There has to be a way they can remove these people or they will do this every day

The GOP wants the spectacle. They are waiting for Schiff/etc to censure/remove them so they can make a big deal of it.

As much as I would REALLY like the Sergeant-at-Arms to wade in there mace swinging, it's better long term to just let Gaetz be Gaetz and look like an idiot sitting in a secure room eating pizza and tweeting.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

The GOP reps also have to get something concrete in their hands to show it was worth the effort too. If they come out with nothing but wasted time they won’t flip anyone to their side.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Willo567 posted:

the Democrats aren't going to do poo poo about anything

He isn't wrong.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Nonsense posted:

Welcome to 2019 you must be new here

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

evilweasel posted:

i think that while the hard-core GOP base is going to eat this up, as usual, the fact that they're blocking the deposition is going to be relatively damaging to them among anyone remotely pursuadable

any day now, your republican co-workers will start thinking that tossing kids in cages and killing them for being brown is a deal-breaker, as opposed to the desired outcome.

aaaaaany day now.

all it will take is one more doughy-faced dipshit they went to college with demonstrating insufficient respect for the Process.

Andronian
Feb 17, 2012

bobjr posted:

The GOP reps also have to get something concrete in their hands to show it was worth the effort too. If they come out with nothing but wasted time they won’t flip anyone to their side.

do they?? wasn’t it already worth their effort to make a giant show and potentially stall the investigation?

actually wait have they stalled the investigation over this or are they just letting them chill

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
Is there a list of all the chucklefucks that blew into the scif?

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Nonsense posted:

Sure - they'll most likely have additional security presence from now on to make sure these stunts don't happen again.

All the Republicans accomplished here was to delay things by a day, at most.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
"We cannot afford to elect leaders who put American secrets and top-level information in jeopardy." - Representative Andy Biggs, October 26, 2016

evilweasel posted:

"At one point, Rep. K. Michael Conaway (R-Texas), a senior member of the House Intelligence Committee, started to collect the Republicans’ phones, appearing to realize having the electronics there was a bad idea, Connolly said."

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

any day now, your republican co-workers will start thinking that tossing kids in cages and killing them for being brown is a deal-breaker, as opposed to the desired outcome.

aaaaaany day now.

all it will take is one more doughy-faced dipshit they went to college with demonstrating insufficient respect for the Process.

Your snarky response is not at all in conflict with the post that you replied to.

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches

Retro42 posted:

The GOP wants the spectacle. They are waiting for Schiff/etc to censure/remove them so they can make a big deal of it.

As much as I would REALLY like the Sergeant-at-Arms to wade in there mace swinging, it's better long term to just let Gaetz be Gaetz and look like an idiot sitting in a secure room eating pizza and tweeting.

It's not just the spectacle, as a tactical matter they really would like to slow down all this incredibly incriminating testimony that keeps happening behind the closed doors they're ostensibly complaining about.

Andronian posted:

actually wait have they stalled the investigation over this or are they just letting them chill

The former, I believe.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Just put Maxine Waters the door next time. They will walk in her direction, she will point at them, and they will run away and file assault and battery lawsuits

Aztec Galactus
Sep 12, 2002

VitalSigns posted:

oh man the Russians might find out what toppings are on that pizza :ohdear:

I assure you that the Russians knew what toppings would be on that pizza months ago

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Andronian posted:

do they?? wasn’t it already worth their effort to make a giant show and potentially stall the investigation?

The deposition hasn't started yet and may not occur today. Personally, I don't view delaying the deposition by a day as damaging to the investigation and being able to focus the attention on this stunt being about blocking testimony is more helpful to dems than it is to republicans.

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

"At one point, Rep. K. Michael Conaway (R-Texas), a senior member of the House Intelligence Committee, started to collect the Republicans’ phones, appearing to realize having the electronics there was a bad idea, Connolly said."

Welp, there we have it.

Never wrong to put money on the dumbest option, I guess.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

FlamingLiberal posted:

I just don't understand how they don't have a locked door and a security guard with a clipboard with a list of attendees for a room that is supposed to be highly secure.

When I got my passport renewed at an American embassy in a western European country filled with white people, I had to empty all of my pockets and leave everything I had with me other than official paperwork in the security area, then go past a door of bulletproof glass and wait for the door to completely close behind me before they would open the next bulletproof glass door to the office area. We as a country are capable of keeping people out of secure areas if we want to.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

evilweasel posted:

This is a level of desperation we haven't seen before. They are panicking like crazy trying to stop this testimony.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

Just put Maxine Waters the door next time. They will walk in her direction, she will point at them, and they will run away and file assault and battery lawsuits

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Andronian posted:

so the flow here is

It's likely that the room(s) is shielded so phones wouldn't work even if they could keep them.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1187063301731209220

Lol wonder what set him off here

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

evilweasel posted:

The deposition hasn't started yet and may not occur today. Personally, I don't view delaying the deposition by a day as damaging to the investigation and being able to focus the attention on this stunt being about blocking testimony is more helpful to dems than it is to republicans.

The bigger worry is what they’re going to do next time, because if they can’t actually be removed today then they’re probably going to keep trying this.

Maybe just keep a door locked, I dunno.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

evilweasel posted:

They're just trying to show loyalty to Trump at this point, I think

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
Throw this along with all the other impeachment charges. This time supporting endangering national security.

https://twitter.com/KevinWhitelaw1/status/1187062531950559233

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost