Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
Ok that run was gonna be a one faith but its 1700 and I only just formed rome, have half of India and only a bit of China so haha no.

Look, don't make my mistake. Only ever WC with the HRE vassal swarm. It's not fun, it's not rewarding. Its tedious rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

the worst part of a world conquest to me is the idiot colonizers refusing even a conservative peace deal because of their weak idiot colonial nations

MaxieSatan
Oct 19, 2017

critical support for anarchists

aahhh!!ddium posted:

the worst part of a world conquest to me is the idiot colonizers refusing even a conservative peace deal because they've erected a single fort on nowhere island in the middle of the pacific

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Getting back to this fantastic time sink after a year or two away. Does development of provinces increase naturally with time on its own or is spending those precious monarch points the only way to increase it and is that really worth doing?

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

Afaik it's only events and monarch points that increase development.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Getting back to this fantastic time sink after a year or two away. Does development of provinces increase naturally with time on its own or is spending those precious monarch points the only way to increase it and is that really worth doing?

We have Institutions now which spawn in developed provinces and spread around the world. If you don't have them then you pay more for tech with each year. Development helps you to force those institutions to spread. So after the next one appears (first one is Renessaince and unless you're in Western Europe you'd want to adapt it fast) it makes sense to develop some province enough for it to get the institution - otherwise you'll pay more for tech and those MP goes nowhere. And of course it sometimes makes sense to develop them when you don't have anywhere else to spend those points. Or the province begs for it, e.g. it's a gold mine or trade center.

There are other ways to get development but they're very unreliable so don't bother.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Saros posted:

Afaik it's only events and monarch points that increase development.

You can also plant a colonist into a province to increase it's dev over time.

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011
I'm thinking about converting back to regular EU4 from MEIOU & Taxes after a year or two of playing that. Aside from it being a different starting map (1444 vs 1356), what am I going to have to unlearn/relearn? I know Monarch Points are now much more valuable and Gold is much less valuable, buildings are fewer and further between, there are fewer Idea Group slots, and religions are all-or-nothing instead of being percent-based and Estates are assigned manually to provinces instead of being assigned automatically, and Communications Efficiency isn't a thing anymore. Is there other stuff I'm not remembering? How does this whole Ages thing work? I earn Splendor points and pick up abilities with them?

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Is there a mod as cool as Red Flood for EUIV? I don't have the cash to start on Hearts of Iron.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Jackson Taus posted:

I'm thinking about converting back to regular EU4 from MEIOU & Taxes after a year or two of playing that. Aside from it being a different starting map (1444 vs 1356), what am I going to have to unlearn/relearn? I know Monarch Points are now much more valuable and Gold is much less valuable, buildings are fewer and further between, there are fewer Idea Group slots, and religions are all-or-nothing instead of being percent-based and Estates are assigned manually to provinces instead of being assigned automatically, and Communications Efficiency isn't a thing anymore. Is there other stuff I'm not remembering? How does this whole Ages thing work? I earn Splendor points and pick up abilities with them?

Wow, that's quite a dedication to M&T! How well does the stuff you're mentioning work in practice?

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

Wow, that's quite a dedication to M&T! How well does the stuff you're mentioning work in practice?

I mean I've hardly been playing it consecutively for a year or two, I just mean that the only EU4 I've played for a while has been modded.

MEIOU and Taxes seems to mostly work. The Religion stuff is the least functional but still mostly functions. They're doing a bunch of re-writes for 3.0. There's a bunch of other changes in MEIOU & Taxes as well. My main gripe with MEIOU & Taxes is that the AI seems to struggle with the new mechanics and changed assumptions.

enigma74
Aug 5, 2005
a lean lobster who probably doesn't even taste good.

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

To clarify, it kinda does. With the common sense DLC activated, the AI will develop provinces. Over time, this is an annoyance during world conquest because it means you have to spend more admin mana to core provinces the longer the game goes on.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

enigma74 posted:

To clarify, it kinda does. With the common sense DLC activated, the AI will develop provinces. Over time, this is an annoyance during world conquest because it means you have to spend more admin mana to core provinces the longer the game goes on.

OTOH there's a hard cap of 30 development on coring costs, so sometimes you get free development.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

What is the right infantry/cavalry/artillery ratio? I think I used to do 2:1:1, but maybe 2:1:2 is better? I’ve always been confused how battles actually worked.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

What is the right infantry/cavalry/artillery ratio? I think I used to do 2:1:1, but maybe 2:1:2 is better? I’ve always been confused how battles actually worked.

If you click on the battle, you can see a graphic of what's happening on the battle screen.

Basically, you have a front row, and a back row. They have a maximum width, based on the terrain and your tech.

In a big battle where both sides are filling the combat width:

- You want enough artillery to fill your entire back row.
- You want enough infantry to fill your entire front row, plus a few more so you can just merge units to get your front row back to full strength after a battle.
- You don't want any cavalry

Against a smaller opponent that can't fill the combat width, you can add a couple of cavalry to roll up the flanks faster, but it also doesn't matter very much since you're crushing them anyway.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
It changes throughout the game but 2:1:2 is almost always too much cavalry. If you can afford it and have like...15+ military tech you want a full combat width of infantry and artillery and maybe 2-4 cavalry.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
There's also setups that shifts the ratio ridiculously and you can do something like 100% calvary with steppe nomad Poland.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Because of the way combat deployment works, you don't want more than 4 (+flanking bonus) cavalry unless you have less infantry than your enemy's entire front line or you have 100% cavalry ratio. The reason is that the deployment algorithm prioritizes putting as much infantry front and center as it can, and then it puts cavalry on the flanks.

Let's say you have an army with 6 cav 20 inf, and you're fighting an army with 4 cav 16 inf. The setup will look like this:

code:
///XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX///

//XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX//
Unless you have 50% or better flanking bonus, the outer two cavalry will sit there doing nothing at all.

This is why it doesn't make sense to talk about army composition in terms of ratios, because adding more cavalry does nothing a lot of the time. IMHO the best thing to do is to make armies with 4 cav (+flanking bonus) and enough inf to fill your combat width.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

This is all very helpful and now I need to go purge my armies. Bad day to be a horse in Brandenburg.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Isn't cavalry stronger than infantry in the early game? So 6 infantry with 4 cavalry will beat 10 infantry? Unless of course you get the ratio penalty and having 14-16 infantry instead is probably worth more etc.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

Poil posted:

Isn't cavalry stronger than infantry in the early game? So 6 infantry with 4 cavalry will beat 10 infantry? Unless of course you get the ratio penalty and having 14-16 infantry instead is probably worth more etc.

Cavalry are super strong early on, but early on, you generally can't afford them and once you can afford them, the difference between cav and infantry has been eaten up. Certain starts, in particular hordes, often involve going hard on cavalry and running your economy at a massive deficit while you go around forever warring and relying on peace deal money to prop up your economy as you punch way above your weight.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist
There's a curious lack of Polish Horde in this discussion.

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

Poil posted:

Cavalry is stronger throughout most of the game, but they're maybe 20% stronger and 200% more expensive, so it's just not efficient in gold compared to just having more infantry and/or artillery.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
Cavalry shines in early game, where shock damage is king. If you have a force limit of 12 and your enemy does too, it's worth it to have more cav then the enemy.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

If I can afford it (e.g. I'm playing the Ottomans, England, France or other rich nations), I usually default to having 2 horsies per stack, and my stacks look like 12-2-10 or something like that, and I usually merge 2 or more stacks for big battles ending up with about 4-6 cavalry in actual combat, and it seems to work well.

If I'm playing a poorer nation, or one that has significant bonuses to infantry and nothing for cavalry, I'll just have 2 cavalry in a battle, so maybe 2/4/6 cavalry total between all my stacks, depending how big I am. In the beginning, when you still have just 1 stack, 2 cavalry is usually good enough, 4 is nice if you can afford it, more than that is definitely overkill except for special cases. You can live without cavalry, but if you can spare the money for just a couple, they will be helpful.

Also if you're Poland/Commonwealth just pile up the numerous horsies bonuses you can get (there's even an achievement for getting more than +50% cavalry combat bonus as Poland/Commonwealth :getin: ) and crush your enemies' skulls under the mighty hooves of as much Winged Hussar cavalry as you can possibly have, of course respecting the ratio and keeping a few infantry to reinforce nearby just in case, to avoid insufficient support penalties

I never play hordes but I think you should also have a bigger amount cavalry there, as has already been said

That's my .02 about horses

TorakFade fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Oct 23, 2019

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

i got the horses in the stack, vassal army is attached

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010

aahhh!!ddium posted:

i got the horses in the stack, vassal army is attached

*vassal army detaches as you are locked into combat with the enemy* Can't nobody tell me nothin

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Europa Universalis IV: i got the horses in the stack

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Pyromancer posted:

Cavalry is stronger throughout most of the game, but they're maybe 20% stronger and 200% more expensive, so it's just not efficient in gold compared to just having more infantry and/or artillery.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-62B7GiwDw

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

The only game where I used a lot of Cavalry was my Manchu/Qing game, through Banners.

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

Cavalry is a must have for any horde campaign, but other than the horde factions, they aren't worth the additional cost and upkeep.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
You can crunch the numbers all day, but the fact is early game Milan needs a more cav to get the edge on their neighbors. Things change over the course of the game, and artillery becomes king.

Not many people know this, but artillery shields the unit in front of it with half its pips.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

I founded the Netherlands, and somehow control two Reformed Center of Reformation: one directly and one through my Vassal Luxemburg.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR

Average Bear posted:

Not many people know this, but artillery shields the unit in front of it with half its pips.

Many do not know this but that is not at all what they do.
You must misinterpret that they only do half of their damage from being in the backrow.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

All guns on all rows.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Guns & Rows

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Groogy posted:

Guns & Rows

New music dlc when

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

Groogy posted:

Many do not know this but that is not at all what they do.
You must misinterpret that they only do half of their damage from being in the backrow.

do they not give half their defensive pips to the regiment in front anymore

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

This is all very helpful and now I need to go purge my armies. Bad day to be a horse in Brandenburg.

This helped me a lot.

https://youtu.be/O63oZQpKt_g

For longer campaigns you want to have more than the ideal number of infantry because infantry die and you want to replace them with more infantry and not the canons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

aahhh!!ddium posted:

do they not give half their defensive pips to the regiment in front anymore

Ah you're right, I skipped over that part of the code.

Groogy fucked around with this message at 12:58 on Oct 24, 2019