Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Nemo2342 posted:

Of course that all goes out the window in a PC game where combat happens in big empty rooms filled with enemies.

basically just have someone following you around screaming NUMBERS NUMBERS NUMBERS NUMBERS while you play a video game and that's me recording content for this LP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
Pool of Radiance, Chapter 6: Going, Going, Gone

Today on the Gold Box series, we'll be visiting Podal Plaza. News from the off-camera presses says someone's holding an auction for monsters, and the Council wants to know what's being sold. We are under strict orders to observe without interfering, so we'll have to employ subterfugue and stealth. Luckily, subtlety is this party's specialpffffffffffthahahahahaha we're doomed.

Still, we're going to take a detour to the slums first, because it appears I've missed a couple of fights: one on purpose, one not. Let's get to the latter.

?

:shrug:

And that's the end of that. I think?

Gosh! Thanks, guys! Can you help a flower out of here?

gently caress no, you abomination.

:mad:

Yeah, probably the end of it. Just a pile of gold and no magic weapons. Nothing else to worry about.

Next is the fight you've all been waiting for. Leeeeeeet's get ready to fumbleeeeeeeeeeee

So. This is the room the guy at the shop told us not to go in.

Yup.

And why are we going in there, exactly?

Adventure! :black101:

Sure. Well, you first.

GYAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAR—

...aah?

That is two ogres and three loving trolls.. Three. In a room Level 2 parties can easily stumble into and then get absolutely wrecked.

Trolls are bad enough in tabletop D&D, but they're utterly super-hideous in Goldbox. First of all, they've got way too many hit dice for Sleep. Since they're giant monsters, they don't count as humanoids, so Hold Person is out. They have AC 4, so good luck hitting them with your puny low level THAC0. Finally, not only is their THAC0 murderous, but they do this, too:

:gibs:

u dead? :troll:

And even with those benefits, D&D trolls' most notorious talent is regeneration. Every round they'll get a handful of HP back. This is bad enough, but it's extremely bad when you finally drop of them and four rounds later, whoops, it just stood back up and it's David Tennant now and it's kicking your rear end all over again! There are tricks to win this fight, like using Stinking Cloud and sleeping ogres as blockers and flinging flasks of oil and arrows at them from behind. But, if I need a goddamn Rube Goldberg machine to win a fight, either something has gone really wrong, we're not high enough level, or both.

I'm gonna go with both.

Also, don't bother trying to run away (done by moving outside map boundries) when fights go this badly. Anyone left laying on the field, even Unconscious, is immediately flagged as Gone—i.e. never coming back. I haven't been in a situation where it's actually a good idea to run from a fight. There are a few status ailments that induce loss of control over your guys and get them to exit the fight on their own, but overall, it's only a useful mechanic for when you've scared the ever loving poo poo out of monsters and want them to leave instead of having to chase them down.

Oof. That could've gone better.

Yeah. Wish the boss would wake up, I'm gettin' kinda sick of carrying him.

Oh, I woke up about 15 minutes ago! I'm just enjoying the ride.

*dump*

:mad:

I'm... still not sure how we escaped. One minute we were there, and then—

Yeah, this weird thing keeps happening ever since we visited Trebor's stupid dungeon. We get into fights, get killed, then time rewinds back to before the fight, and we're fine.

That's incredible!

Nah. You know how many times I've been decapitated?

...somewhere between 0 and 1?

Aw. That's cute.

I wonder if I got decapitated? I mean, before we killed Odin and stopped coming back to life.

Woah woah woah. Hold up. Everybody raise your hand if you've been dead at some point before this.

:wave:

Wow. I sure know how to pick 'em.

Okay, here's Podal Plaza. Any ideas how we're gonna pull this off?

Let's kill them. Let's kill them all.

No! No genocide! We've been over this!

awwwww

If I may? :grin:

?

*clears throat*

Oh, great. Here it comes.

I've got... an angle.

:woop:

We're dealing with dumb monsters. Really dumb. Like, dumber than us dumb.

Dang. That's dumb.

Not wrong.

So! Some rags, a bit of soot, and the ol' Sternn mastery of disguise, and they won't even look twice at us. We can go to the auction, find out what they're selling, and get out before anyone knows it.

That... doesn't sound like a bad plan. Right? That's actually a good plan?

I mean, it sounds like a plan. That's more than I got.

Perfect! Now, for the disguises...

Greetings, fellow monsters!

We are so incredibly dead.

What kind of monster says "greetings?" *peers closely*

Zip it, dickwad.

Wh—just who do you think you are?!

Mind your own goddamn business, and maybe I won't hand your rear end as you leave.

Omigod! You totally sound like a monster!

What's your secret? Study? Psychology?

Shut up.

Wow! You're doing it again!

Parley is important in this area, and it's one of the few times casting Friends is justified (although the spell won't last very long, so ehn). Striding Boldly Forward is an instafail on this commission, so we have a couple of options left: slink around the parameter, or wander through the crowd in disguise. Unfortunately, the auction isn't being held on the perimeter. The good news is, monsters won't detect us unless we gently caress up a parley roll. Job #1 is to blend in, and that means not picking (N)ice or (M)eek when you talk, or you'll give the game away immediately. (A)busive is the option you want, every time. They're getting all up in your business, so you need to get all up in theirs. It's the monster way. Apparently.

Not every monster will demand to see our license and registration. As we're bumbling around, we'll occasionally pass groups that are discussing and/or spreading rumors.

For example, just by keeping an ear open, we now know that giants control a castle somewhere. This is the kind of devastating info that will expose our foe's every weakness, assuming we can find the castle or the giants and that they're in the same place.

This one's a little more juicy. Monster politics! Intrigue! As you may suspect, we'll see these names again.

:stare:

Okay. Nobody touch anything, and we'll be safe.

My feet are touching the ground my feet are touching the ground

Quick get rid of your feet before it's too late

Ugh. I hate out-of-towners.

Tell me about it!

What are you looking at, dipshit?

...hmm.

loving heretics.

Oh, wow. I've never heard you swear before, Shanna.

I save it for when I mean it. I'll tolerate a lot, but defacing someone else's religion isn't on the list.

Well, then let's go do something about it!

Agreed.

Heather. Shanna. What are you doing. We're undercover, stop doing what you're doing.

*draws weapons*

HI YEAH WE'RE HERE TO PAY OUR RESPECTS

SURE WE'LL DO THAT THING YOU'RE ASKING US TO DO

:catstare:

What was that?

We are on a stealth mission, you goddamn lunatics! Murdering an orc in his own temple is not stealthy!

It's not his temple.

I don't care

Oh man. Having bad flashbacks on this one.

*hop* *hop*

You okay there, short stuff?

Curse these tiny adorable legs! Hey, you're tall. What's going on up there?

Looks like they're sellin' something.

Well, no poo poo. What else can you see?

That's, like, not a lot to go on.

She's right. We need to get closer if we're going to see anything.

'Scuse me. Pardon me. Move it, pointy. Jeez, it's loud out here.

What?

I said, it's loud out here

Oh, totally

Focus, guys. Remember, we need as much detail as possible.

What?

I SAID, WE NEED AS MUCH DETAIL AS POSSIBLE

ABOUT WHAT

THE WEAPON

OH RIGHT, FOR THE COUNCIL. SO THEY CAN USE IT TO STOP THE BOSS

*record scratch*

God dammit, Sternn.

Well, at least we can take the mustaches off now.

I dunno. I think it gives me a certain gra-vee-tas.

That didn't last very long, but let's be honest: did anyone expect it to? Honestly, I'm stunned we got close enough for the auction to start.

Anyway, our cover's been blown, which means everyone's switched from parley to kill mode. First thing we have to do is take care of these goblins. With three sweeps a round for each fighter, that's easy enough. We cut down half of them without taking any damage, and the rest surrender.

Problem is, now we've got random encounters to deal with. And, as expected, the game is making up for a lack of quality monsters with a high quantity of garbage tier monsters.

Still, goblins are laughable right now, even in groups.

That looks like the last of them!

Whoopsie.

Goddamn it, Sternn!

60! 60 total goblins! AH! AH!

It's not just goblins, of course. We'll also see roving bands of orcs, hobgoblins, gnolls, and ogres. None are particularly challenging—the ogres are the worst, but they're usually limited to 2-4, which is well within our range to handle. As you might expect, the Plaza is flooded with monsters. We have to keep fighting until we clear everything out, but that's a lot of monsters to kill, and we occasionally have to run back to the Well to heal up.

75! 75 goblins! AH! AH!

Well, he did say to come back in two hours.

*cracks knuckles*

In retrospect, maybe giving them a heads up wasn't the brightest idea.

Welcome to the team, Shanna. We're glad you finally made it.

This fight happens regardless of whether your cover's been blown. Apparently, they've put the one halfway intelligent orc in charge of the temple, and he's already seen through your disguise. Orcs we can handle, ogres we can handle, but orcs and ogres is pushing it somewhat.

I did say somewhat :smug:

Included in the loot are leather holy symbols. It doesn't say so on the screen, but these are holy symbols of Bane, the AD&D God of Bad Evilness. You can grab some now to make an encounter in the future easier, but Shanna would never stand for it, so we leave them here.

Well, this looks promising!

Jeez, we're just trying to catch our breath. You don't have to be a jerk about it.

THAT LANGUAGE IS VERY HURTFUL TO ME

DO YOU THINK I DON'T HAVE FEELINGS? HAVE AT YOU

lmfao

This drunken moron made the mistake of challenging our party. You don't have to duel him, but ignoring him brings the entire bar down on your head. The right answer is to send your cleric since they can take a little damage before winning an initiative roll and sticking Hold Person. It's incredibly risky chosing a mage for the fight. Although the fighter has just enough hit dice for Sleep to work (remember, no savings throw!), if the mage doesn't get initiative, s/he's dead almost instantly. A Level 4 Fighter getting the poo poo owned out of him by a tiny Esper magician is hilarious, though, so that's what we end up doing.

Who wants magic gear!

Dibs!

D—dammit

Don't worry, there's enough to go around!

In addition to extremely poor decision making skills, this guy has +1 Chain Mail and a +1 Long Sword. We give Hanover the sword and Justine the armor. It's really hard to overstate just how thoroughly goddamn owned this idiot was.

Well, we're here. Might as well kick back and enjoy ourselves.

To the beer!

:same:

Yo, barkeep! Gimme a menu!

Here you go.

...lemon curry?

It's a regional specialty.

Ew. Just gimme a sarsaparilla with extra foam.

Normally, I'd laugh, but after flooring the big guy I'm kind of terrified of you.

And that's how I like it!

Sup, Justine.

Well... here we are. Again.

?

I dunno, it's just... weird. We've had a lot of crazy poo poo happen to us: Coffers' zombie cola, time travel, dinosaurs fights... but this? Stranded in some magical bullshit realm with a crazy rear end demigoddess and her buddies? How do we keep ending up in these situations?

What the—they have karaoke?!

Like, that's what I said!

We gotta get up there.

Um, no doi? I already signed us up! We're next!

LET'S DO THIS poo poo

See? This is just bizarre. Even for us.

Look, I've been all over this gol'dang galaxy covering for Sternn. You think this is bad? My cousin, Tueton, keeps running into this Dreadstarr dope across the entire universe. Doesn't matter where he goes, the guy just ends up being there.

What's your point, exactly?

Point is, this kind of stuff runs in my family, so I just accept it. If it's yer life, you might as well enjoy the ride.

...I guess.

Sunshine in the streets at the parade, but you would rather be in the dark age~

Making that sign must've taken all night~

Hey. They're actually not bad!

You just need to take several seats and then try to restore the peace and control your urges to scream about all the people you hate~

'Cause shade never made anybody less gay~

I was enjoying that you assholes

gkk

You need to calm down~

Mingling with the monsters offends them and triggers a bar brawl. Note that fighter from before is back. But not for long :owned:

He also coughs up a +1 Chain Mail and +1 Long Sword again. Imagine what's it's like to be that guy: you get clobbered by a mage in one turn, get your magic gear stolen, get back up and put on your backup magic gear, then get floored in a massive brawl and your stuff stolen by the exact same people. Some days, it just doesn't pay to get up out of bed.

We distribute the remaining gear, and afterwards, all our fighters have +1 Long Swords and +1 Chain Mail. Woot!

:mmmhmm:

Anyway, now that we've destroyed pretty much everything that's destructable in Podal Plaza, let's head back to town and deliver the news about the auction. I'm sure Shasha will be thrilled.

New proclamations. Let's see what they have for us this time...

Proclamation CXXVI posted:

Be it known that the council is offering a reward for all books and tomes containing information about the fall of Phlan. The amount of said reward to be dependent upon the value of the information provided.

Ew, no. I don't want your nerd money.

Proclamation CX posted:

Be it known that the council is seeking a stalwart band to undertake a mission of particular sensitivity. Any brave and clever band of adventure seekers who are not adverse to earning a large reward should present themselves to the council clerk for a special commission.

Well, that rules us out.

Are you kidding? I love large rewards!

You didn't even bother to read the rest of it, did you?

Rest of what?

Heeeeeeey, Sasha. :grin:

*sigh*

So, uh. We got some bad news about the whole Plaza thing.

I'm thrilled. Do go on.

The good news is, we saw the weapon! It was a wand or some junk.

Great.

The bad news is—

But... But we...

No one on the Council actually cares what it is. They just want to tell the townspeople they did something about it.

I like this place. You get paid for screwing everything up!

It sounds like a perfect fit for you six.

You have no idea.

Oh, while I'm at it...

That's three city blocks so far. I have to admit, you're actually making progress. How, I'll never know.

That makes two of us.

Hilariously, you don't have to find out a single goddamn thing about what was being auctioned off to complete this mission. If you can get to the auction without causing a commotion and shutting everything down early, you win. For the record: The "weapon" is a Wand of Fear, which is a middling magical item at best. If you're not a bunch of gently caress-ups like our guys, you can actually get close enough to identify it by sight. Also, if you blow your cover before visiting the auction, you not only forfeit the commission reward but also make it impossible to ever clear this block of random encounters. So, that's another compelling reason not to screw up.

Anyway, that's Podal Plaza! As Sasha mentioned, we've cleared three blocks in Old Phlan, and we're well on our way to the 33% checkpoint. (Trust me, you'll know it when we get there.) Tune in next time, where we'll hear Sternn say:

...lemon curry?

Next Time: Slobgoblins

Alpha3KV
Mar 30, 2011

Quex Chest
If you can reach the bar while maintaining your disguises, the encounter changes slightly. I think the brawl is still unavoidable if you mix with the monsters, but some of them might join your side of it with the right choice. It's actually somewhat annoying since your allies in the fight look exactly the same as the enemies, but still kind of neat.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Alpha3KV posted:

If you can reach the bar while maintaining your disguises, the encounter changes slightly. I think the brawl is still unavoidable if you mix with the monsters, but some of them might join your side of it with the right choice. It's actually somewhat annoying since your allies in the fight look exactly the same as the enemies, but still kind of neat.

There’s also the hilarious “get blind stinking drunk” option that avoids a fight but ends with you in a gutter with all your money gone.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
The Mustache disguises were funny. Wonder if they'll get the chance to be used again.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

achtungnight posted:

The Mustache disguises were funny. Wonder if they'll get the chance to be used again.

:iiam:

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Wait, disguises? Who was disguised? All I saw was a bunch of fine mustachioed gentlemen

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
It's kind of weird they are using Bane as the god here. He's normally a more human focused god, and is the lawful evil god of tyranny.

Also it's kind of funny to see his holy symbols going up over the place, given that he eventually becomes the state god of the region these games take place in.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

MonsterEnvy posted:

It's kind of weird they are using Bane as the god here. He's normally a more human focused god, and is the lawful evil god of tyranny.

Also it's kind of funny to see his holy symbols going up over the place, given that he eventually becomes the state god of the region these games take place in.

Yeah, as bright and fantastic as they seem, the Forgotten Realms are not a great place to live.

Let’s put the kibosh on that line of conversation, though, because it starts cutting into things we’ll see in Pools of Darkness. :)

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I don’t think the gods and their religions ever get much character in these games other than “we’re evil, you will bow to us or die!” or “we’re cool, you want some healing?”

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

I didn't play FR at tabletop until.. last year? But I had the 3e FR book and it was neat to see the gold box events and their aftermath referenced in there

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Huh I did not know the Gold Box events and aftermath went into the official lore.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
They did, modified in various ways. Going into details and differences would risk spoilers, so I won't say too much. Basically there were novels written based on the games (Pool of Radiance and part of Pools of Darkness anyway, Curse of the Azure Bonds was a sequel to a book and Secret of the Silver Blades never got any love) and those became part of the official lore. I'll let you read the books on your own if you want to see how, I wasn't much of a fan myself. I agree that the parts of the Realms we see in the games aren't a great place to live. If I had to live in this universe, I'd prefer somewhere with more stable and supportive politics. Of course, there aren't much opportunities for adventure in those places, all said and done.

Hobologist
May 4, 2007

We'll have one entire section labelled "for degenerates"

Chokes McGee posted:

Also, don't bother trying to run away (done by moving outside map boundries) when fights go this badly. Anyone left laying on the field, even Unconscious, is immediately flagged as Gone—i.e. never coming back. I haven't been in a situation where it's actually a good idea to run from a fight. There are a few status ailments that induce loss of control over your guys and get them to exit the fight on their own, but overall, it's only a useful mechanic for when you've scared the ever loving poo poo out of monsters and want them to leave instead of having to chase them down.

There is one trick I used for this exact fight when I just couldn't get through it because I didn't know how to play the game yet. Hire a couple of heroes, i.e. level 4 fighters, from the dueling and hiring hall, leave them to play with the trolls and ogres while your entire party flees. It counts as completing the encounter.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

Hobologist posted:

There is one trick I used for this exact fight when I just couldn't get through it because I didn't know how to play the game yet. Hire a couple of heroes, i.e. level 4 fighters, from the dueling and hiring hall, leave them to play with the trolls and ogres while your entire party flees. It counts as completing the encounter.

Are we the baddies? :ohdear:

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Hobologist posted:

Hahahahaha oh man I wish I knew that ahead of time

Slaan posted:

Are we the baddies? :ohdear:

Good news! Every hireling is evil, so you’re morally justified!

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

OK, let's talk about this encounter a little bit. Firstly, as has been mentioned, you can drop hirelings here to take hits and deal damage. Bonus points for betraying and slaughtering them because they are evil, but generally at least one troll won't be incapacitated and you can rely on it to kill your hired help so you can loot the bodies.

Secondly, it's helpful to either have a L4 wizard or two L3 wizards for an extra Stinking Cloud.

If you look at the starting position, note that you can cast Stinking Cloud right where Chokes did, with its right side on the front troll, and because all the monsters are tall you completely block access to the party. After doing that, you back away; every monster gets one free attack when you do that but the troll doesn't get to take all three of its attacks and it can't follow without moving into the cloud again. I think I've seen the AI in the PC game take multiple steps in the cloud once it's entered, but I may be thinking of one of the sequel games where the monsters aren't smart about such spells.

This then gives you three or four rounds to weaken the trolls with ranged attacks. If you made the original troll puke you toss a dart at it on the last turn of the effect. (Your mage can be Magic Missile casting in the meantime.)

The two remaining trolls then rush up when the first cloud stops, and you can catch them both with a second cloud. If you don't incapacitate at least one, you run the risk of not killing both before the first gets back up, so this is the spot where you most likely have to reload. This phase of the combat is much safer with the L4 hirelings, because they take the initial rush and soak attacks from a still-active troll while you finish them off.

The two keys to this tactic: avoiding the troll claw/claw/bite attacks as much as possible, and using bows which grant you 2 attack rolls per round to hit the troll AC instead of 1. Note that Stinking Cloud worsens the AC on a troll that isn't knocked out by it, so you'll have an easier time landing those shots.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I'll add my two cents to the troll encounter. The hard part is avoiding or tanking the trolls' multiple attacks. The really bad part is that they won't stay down unless burned. So it's either wait till you have L5 Mages and Fireball, get Burning Hands (a possible waste of a spell slot), or carry Oil Flasks (available from Phlan stores) and fling them at the Trolls. You want to get the Trolls down to below 5 HP, then toss the Flasks for a death blow. They only do 1d4 damage anyway, so you better hope you roll high. Thankfully the game won't let the Troll regenerate non-burned wounds and still get up, but with 3 HP back from regen each round, you still need to get them on that round when they're low and roll high. You can't burn their corpse once they're down either, they disappear once they're down and don't reappear till they're almost fully healed. A possible solution is for someone to stand where the body was, the game won't bring them back in that case due to AI limits, but you want the ability to move in combat, right?

Once you have Fireball, this encounter isn't too bad. And it's worth a good bit of EXP too.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
I hope the fact we’ve had two back to back posts of war room planning pushing little figures around while generals nod in approval points out just how goddamn boneheaded it was to put this fight here.

Chokes McGee fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Oct 22, 2019

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
So checking the tiers of the most notable AD&D humanoid to giant enemies it goes like this after checking the Monster Manual.

Kobold 1-4 hp, Goblin 1-7 hp, Orc 1 hd, Hobgoblin 1+1 hd, Gnoll 2 hd, Lizardfolk 2 +1 hd, Bugbear 3+1 hd, Ogre 4+1 hd, Troll 6+6 HD. As you can see Trolls are are a pretty big jump even discounting their regen. And their 5-8/5-8/2-12 attack routine is also a massive jump, A normal Ogre has only one attack that does 1-10 damage.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I definitely agree an encounter with three Trolls at this potentially low level is a dick move. Most D&D parties, below 5th level a single Troll is a tough boss encounter. Only Killer GMs put in multiple Trolls with multiple other monsters against low level parties. Yes, a lot of encounters in this game are challenging (most tabletop low level parties I know blink at 70 goblins) but this is especially so.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

achtungnight posted:

(most tabletop low level parties I know blink at 70 goblins)

Well the numbers appearing puts Goblins at 40d10. And 70 is on the low end for that.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

MonsterEnvy posted:

Well the numbers appearing puts Goblins at 40d10. And 70 is on the low end for that.

On the other hand there’s something oddly satisfying about wading through a crowd of goblins killing like five of them an attack.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost
If you get close enough to the auction without being spotted, isn't your 'reward' just so see some other rear end in a top hat portal in and steal the wand for himself? It's been a few years since I played.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Seyser Koze posted:

If you get close enough to the auction without being spotted, isn't your 'reward' just so see some other rear end in a top hat portal in and steal the wand for himself? It's been a few years since I played.

Pretty sure that's the case, but before that you get "wtf that's just a wand of fear" like almost verbotem

the flavor text's disgust is palpable

e: someone made a module based off this game, and if you somehow manage to get your mitts on the wand, it turns out no one actually knows it's word of command :newlol:

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Trolls are never fun and not meant to be fun.

Old School Dnd hates you and wants you to die

AT LEAST DRAGONS DON'T REGENERATE

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

AtomikKrab posted:

Trolls are never fun and not meant to be fun.

Old School Dnd hates you and wants you to die

AT LEAST DRAGONS DON'T REGENERATE

Ring ring, there’s a mr. dracolich on the phone for you

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
One of my first boss monsters from my first ever attempt at running a dnd game was an ogre who got a taste for troll meat and ate so much of it that he gained regeneration, but always had a lot of disgusting growths and tumors. If you did more than 10 points of damage to him in melee you had to save vs poison or be grossed out and wretching for two rounds.

Vrdak the Gluttonous owned, and I still roll him out for low-level parties to this day.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Chokes McGee posted:

A Dracolich is default a megaboss monster. Not a dime a dozen foe like trolls. If you fight a dracolich you fight A dracolich not like 5... outside of the game master being an utter monster.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Zeroisanumber posted:

One of my first boss monsters from my first ever attempt at running a dnd game was an ogre who got a taste for troll meat and ate so much of it that he gained regeneration, but always had a lot of disgusting growths and tumors. If you did more than 10 points of damage to him in melee you had to save vs poison or be grossed out and wretching for two rounds.

Vrdak the Gluttonous owned, and I still roll him out for low-level parties to this day.

booby trapping a monster with a one person stinking cloud is a sociopathic monstrosity and I love it

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Chokes McGee posted:

Uh, excuse me, dracolichs are clearly lichs in Dragon form, not dragons themselves. Note the lack of proper scales, and the tattered, shabby wings. No self-respecting dragon of any alignment would allow themselves to look like that.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Zeroisanumber posted:

Reminds me of a recent monster from current D&D the Frost Giant Everlasting one. A Frost Giant turned to worship of Vaprak the Destroyer, the God of Trolls and Ogres. If they take an interest after he sends visions and dreams, he sends a troll to meet with the Frost Giant, who is told to devour the whole troll. (Something that can be potentially fatal if it starts regenerating inside you, and is difficult as the troll will keep regenerating as you take pieces off to eat.) Success results in the Frost Giant gaining increased strength and troll regeneration. However if the giant fails to keep paying respect to Vaprak in a timely or proper manner the regeneration becomes faulty. Resulting in growths, vestigial body parts, and even extra heads. Which means the frost giant has to leave it's tribe or be killed as worshiping Vaprak is a no go in their society.

Trolls also get a cool little story about Vaprak namely about how he relates to regeneration and death.

quote:

Among trolls, Vaprak is believed to devour those on the brink of death, but only if the troll is already cooked or digested (slain by fire or acid). Otherwise, the god spits the soul back into the world to regenerate a new body, no matter how little of its previous form remained. Thus, only trolls slain by acid or fire remain dead, because only those are consumed by Vaprak.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

MonsterEnvy posted:

Reminds me of a recent monster from current D&D the Frost Giant Everlasting one. A Frost Giant turned to worship of Vaprak the Destroyer, the God of Trolls and Ogres. If they take an interest after he sends visions and dreams, he sends a troll to meet with the Frost Giant, who is told to devour the whole troll. (Something that can be potentially fatal if it starts regenerating inside you, and is difficult as the troll will keep regenerating as you take pieces off to eat.) Success results in the Frost Giant gaining increased strength and troll regeneration. However if the giant fails to keep paying respect to Vaprak in a timely or proper manner the regeneration becomes faulty. Resulting in growths, vestigial body parts, and even extra heads. Which means the frost giant has to leave it's tribe or be killed as worshiping Vaprak is a no go in their society.

Trolls also get a cool little story about Vaprak namely about how he relates to regeneration and death.

That's pretty metal. And the troll just stands there and lets the giant eat it?

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost
Do trolls feel pain? :gonk:

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

AtomikKrab posted:

I'm guessing that's part of the challenge

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

Seyser Koze posted:

Do trolls feel pain? :gonk:

Only emotional pain. After all, who wants to date something that looks like that? :(

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

AtomikKrab posted:

Yeah when Vaprak wins one of the giants over, a troll is sent on a sacred quest to meet with the giant in secret and offer itself to be eaten.

And this thing is solely so the giant can cheat in their ranking system. Frost Giants value strength above all other qualities and all Frost Giants are ranked by how strong they are. But they don't like things like magic and Vaprak that arifically makes you stronger.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Ironic that one of my favorite D&D magic items is the artificial strength booster known as the Giant Strength Girdle.

TitanG
May 10, 2015

So, uh
trolls are literally fantasy roids with built in DRM
I would expect Shadowrun to go there, not D&D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

TitanG posted:

So, uh
trolls are literally fantasy roids with built in DRM
I would expect Shadowrun to go there, not D&D

Heightened aggression and anger are even stated as being of the side effects of becoming an everlasting one.