Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Apparatchik Magnet
Sep 25, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Riot Carol Danvers posted:

As I've never read a single page of the NIV Bible, I didn't know that was anything other than made up whole cloth.

Me either, but I could tell it had to be either a line of poetry or scripture and I did know about Google.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

General Battuta posted:

What are the best/most horrifying submarine books. Any kind, from contemporary/thriller to hard SF.

The Terrible Hours is non-fiction, about the sinking of the USS Squalus (main induction valve stuck open, when they dove water got into the people tube) and the effort to rescue the survivors. Blind Man's bluff has also been mentioned, and I second that. And for as bad as Clancy wound up becoming, HFRO is pretty damned great.

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

Apparatchik Magnet posted:

Me either, but I could tell it had to be either a line of poetry or scripture and I did know about Google.

Hrm yes clearly an author could never come up with some in-universe scripture or poetry and clearly I should spend my time googling that type of stuff instead of enjoying the story.

Not sure why you're being rude about that, but okay. If it's because my post seemed rude or something, it wasn't intended to be rude or snarky in any way.

Apparatchik Magnet
Sep 25, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Riot Carol Danvers posted:

Hrm yes clearly an author could never come up with some in-universe scripture or poetry and clearly I should spend my time googling that type of stuff instead of enjoying the story.

Yes, it would definitely be a reasonable assumption that in a book whose most notable quips are all stolen from internet pop culture that a touching bit of poetry recited at a climactic death was an original piece. Thus the wise man bowed his head solemnly and spoke.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

Yes, it would definitely be a reasonable assumption that in a book whose most notable quips are all stolen from internet pop culture that a touching bit of poetry recited at a climactic death was an original piece. Thus the wise man bowed his head solemnly and spoke.

you dont have to be an rear end in a top hat your whole life, take one day off

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Everyone chill out and move on or this thread gets timed-out for a day.
I mean it.

back off-topic:

Recently finished Gray Day (non-fiction) and Logan's Run, the original novel that kicked off the Michael York movie.
A good 70% of the book elements got re-used or adapted into the Logan's Run movie, which was cool. Meanwhile, published 18+ years after the events that took place in it, Gray Day was more of a mixed bag. The first few chapters were a series of humble-brags about the author being amazing at covert surveillance/driving/computer security/etc, but once it got into the actual titular assignment the book improved massively. Figure part of the reason Gray Day got published was that the book/author's role as Hanssen's underling (that was secretly monitoring Hanssen) explained away some highly classified pre 9-11-2001 STINGRAY style monitoring of Robert Hanssen. Robert Hanssen such being a massive creeper (physically and socially) that it constantly freaked out the author was a running theme of the book.

quantumfoam fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Oct 23, 2019

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

yeah if you don't recognize every single reference in a sci fi book you should just not read

an incredible self-own of a post

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Just finished Hyperion. It was good, not great, and certainly not what I expected. For some reason I thought it would be a super abstract, Pynchonesque, dark space mystery. Instead it was a pulpy, pop-culture laden universe, almost akin to Futurama or the Hitchiker's Guide in that respect. Not really a bad thing, but I did have a couple issues.

- Would've been nice to uh, tell a complete story instead of making me buy the next book.
- I love sci-fi world building, but this was a little too ambitious. From the Shrike and Time Tombs, to the Technocore, and the Ousters, too many tantalizing ideas were introduced only to not be explored in any great depth.
- In that same vein, I ended up enjoying the smaller scale stories, like the Priest's and the Scholar's. Kassad's adventures in conquering Planet Jihad and Lamia's cyberpunk story verged on the ridiculous at times

I am intrigued in how things turn out, if the Time Tombs really are an artifact from the future to aid in a AI/human war and how the Ousters will factor in. But I also remember a thread on here where I think someone said the sequels are total crap, and I could believe it - this feels like a story where mysteries begin but are never really resolved. Are they worth reading anyway?

Sibling of TB
Aug 4, 2007

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

Just finished Hyperion. It was good, not great, and certainly not what I expected. For some reason I thought it would be a super abstract, Pynchonesque, dark space mystery. Instead it was a pulpy, pop-culture laden universe, almost akin to Futurama or the Hitchiker's Guide in that respect. Not really a bad thing, but I did have a couple issues.

- Would've been nice to uh, tell a complete story instead of making me buy the next book.
- I love sci-fi world building, but this was a little too ambitious. From the Shrike and Time Tombs, to the Technocore, and the Ousters, too many tantalizing ideas were introduced only to not be explored in any great depth.
- In that same vein, I ended up enjoying the smaller scale stories, like the Priest's and the Scholar's. Kassad's adventures in conquering Planet Jihad and Lamia's cyberpunk story verged on the ridiculous at times

I am intrigued in how things turn out, if the Time Tombs really are an artifact from the future to aid in a AI/human war and how the Ousters will factor in. But I also remember a thread on here where I think someone said the sequels are total crap, and I could believe it - this feels like a story where mysteries begin but are never really resolved. Are they worth reading anyway?

I think Hyperion is a two part book and isn't counted as a sequels in the "the sequels are crap" statement. I enjoyed the sequel (another two part book) but it was pretty different.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Fall of Hyperion is decent and offers some closure to the story while also being frustrating and bad in many ways.

the Endymion books are...I wish I had not read them. there are some good bits but the story and main character is awful. Raul Endymion is the worst protagonist in science fiction.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug
I read Gideon and I liked it quite a lot. I thought it could have used about 5% fewer quips from Harrow but that's the only thing I'd really change. Agatha Christie with skeletons. I'm now reading the Something Baru Cormorant and I'm liking it too (although I picked it next instead of the new Alex Versus because I wasn't in the headspace for that kind of grim realpolitic and....yeah. oops.)

Carrier
May 12, 2009

I thought Fall of Hyperion took everything that was great about Hyperion and made it look bad in retrospect, it just felt like a return to generic sci-fi which wasn't what I enjoyed about the first book. I kinda wish I hadn't read it tbh lol.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

awesmoe posted:

(although I picked it next instead of the new Alex Versus because I wasn't in the headspace for that kind of grim realpolitic and....yeah. oops.)

Oh, is Alex Verus Baru-like realpolitik? I'd thought it was kind of Dresden-y, but if it's more like Baru I'd be interested.

Apparatchik Magnet
Sep 25, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

cptn_dr posted:

Oh, is Alex Verus Baru-like realpolitik? I'd thought it was kind of Dresden-y, but if it's more like Baru I'd be interested.

It's Dresden if the White Council periodically alternated between hiring him under the table for secret jobs, trying to assassinate him deniably, issuing official death warrants, and formally appointing him to temporary Council offices, while Dresden was also regularly killing warlocks (and the occasional corrupt Warden) in job lots because they won't leave him alone. And instead of being one of the strongest wizards of his generation, he's one of the weakest but with this One Weird Trick. I still wouldn't consider it grim realpolitik in tone, though.

Apparatchik Magnet fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Oct 23, 2019

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

It's Dresden if the White Council periodically alternated between hiring him under the table for secret jobs, trying to assassinate him deniably, issuing official death warrants, and formally appointing him to temporary Council offices, while Dresden was also regularly killing warlocks (and the occasional corrupt Warden) in job lots because they won't leave him alone. And instead of being one of the strongest wizards of his generation, he's one of the weakest but with this One Weird Trick. I still wouldn't consider it grim realpolitik in tone, though.

yeah realpolitic wasnt the word, this is a good summary. Sometimes he wins battles but it feels like he tends to lose wars - I just don't find it super uplifting or cheery (I do like it a lot tho!!!)

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Oh, that does sound pretty neat. I'll give that a shot (well, add it to the ridiculous TBR list, anyway).

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

quantumfoam posted:

Everyone chill out and move on or this thread gets timed-out for a day.
I mean it.

I know I haven't been around as much lately -- I've gone from working about 35 hours a week to working about 90 -- but please do not lock threads, it'll create a giant headache when everyone freaks out. Just use the report button.

Also, this should not need repeating, but to everyone in this thread and every other thread in this subforum: before each post, please consider: "is this post about a book, or about something that is not a book, such as another poster on the forum?" Only one of those categories is on topic!

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Oct 23, 2019

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Minority opinion: I loved Fall of Hyperion possibly more than Hyperion. Maybe because I don't read much mil scifi, but I thought there were some truly memorable world-shattering sci-fi setpieces.

Endymion is... fine? Good, even? I really liked the whole idea of rafting down this river that runs across multiple post-apocalyptic worlds.

Then the only thing I remember about Rise of Endymion is the massive, bloated, boring, hundreds-of-pages-long middle section that takes place on the Not-Tibet planet. I don't think it's a coincidence that it was written in 1997, the same year as Seven Years in Tibet and Kundun came out, and when there seemed to be some kind of fever pitch Western obsession with Tibet.

Oh and the other thing I remember is that Simmons seemed to think he'd written a happy ending: We get to spend two years together before you get hauled off to death by torture, but hey, two years is a nice long time!

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Theres plenty of good bits in the Hyperion books but overall I wasnt terribly happy with them once I finished them

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
If you read Hyperion, there's a hint as to how Simmons might have preferred to write it, vs. what the publisher forced him into, in Martin Silenus` story.

What I liked about the first one was how each person's story was a different genre. From Paul Duré's Lovecraftian horror to Brawne Lamia's cyberpunk noir. Fall of Hyperion didn't really have the same tone, and felt a bit overextended.

Cryptozoology
Jul 12, 2010
Been reading Luna, I'm a third ish of the way through Wolf Moon. Gotta say there's not enough Moon Facts?? Wanted more of that poo poo.

Also what's the deal with the reverse werewolves.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
They turn into a moon when they see a wolf?

Taffy Torpedo
Feb 2, 2008

...Can we have the radio?
The Moon turns into a wolf when it sees them, that's why it's called Wolf Moon.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Moon comes out and you just turn inside out and get to lay there as a pile of meat for the evening.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Reverse werewolf is a swearwolf, obvs

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

That's a supersymmetric werewolf counterpart, but that theory is bunk. So we're safe from sdraculas and szombies, thankfully.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

No, the reverse is a Therewolf.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

In D&D, there's a creature called a wolfwere, a wolf that can turn into a human.

Sibling of TB
Aug 4, 2007

Cryptozoology posted:

Been reading Luna, I'm a third ish of the way through Wolf Moon. Gotta say there's not enough Moon Facts?? Wanted more of that poo poo.

Also what's the deal with the reverse werewolves.

For real though: they do explain it in the books but basically it's bipolar disorder that through medication and culture is synchronized with the phases of the earth.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
When does the Black Company become bad? I'm finishing up book 2 and will get book 3, but is that a good place to stop?

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Mr Hootington posted:

When does the Black Company become bad? I'm finishing up book 2 and will get book 3, but is that a good place to stop?

Just keep reading until you stop liking it. Or keep reading and finish it if you like the characters.

The first three books are pretty self contained

Orv
May 4, 2011

Mr Hootington posted:

When I initially read Shadow Games all those horrid eons ago I was very, very much not a fan and didn't revisit them, despite loving 1-3, for a long time. I reread them recently and happily went through the whole shebang.

Now fully granted, it does get worse as it goes on, for a variety of reasons, but the "read until you don't want to" methodology applies real well here.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Absurd Alhazred posted:

If you read Hyperion, there's a hint as to how Simmons might have preferred to write it, vs. what the publisher forced him into, in Martin Silenus` story.
Yeah, I'm not sure about that. It's a pretty stereotypical story of Artist Held Back By Tasteless Plebeian Market; granted I have no idea what Simmons was going through back then but he's showed himself to be enough of an rear end in a top hat for this analogy to be at least suspicious.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Absurd Alhazred posted:

That's a supersymmetric werewolf counterpart, but that theory is bunk. So we're safe from sdraculas and szombies, thankfully.

One might think the existence of pzombies might imply the existence of pwerewolves and pdraculas, but a pdracula is just a regular dracula and some care with housetraining can take care of pwerewolves easily.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
Philistines

https://youtu.be/rF9Z6Hvmf5M

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Selachian posted:

In D&D, there's a creature called a wolfwere, a wolf that can turn into a human.

One pops up in The Belgariad. At least Garion asks his grandad WTF when Belgarath offhandedly mentions that his wife was a wolf who learned to shapeshift into a human after watching Belgarath shapeshift into a wolf (and they met when Belgarath was a wolf).

Orv
May 4, 2011
Proteus Jones with the obviously superior reference. :colbert:

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

Just keep reading until you stop liking it. Or keep reading and finish it if you like the characters.

The first three books are pretty self contained

Orv posted:

When I initially read Shadow Games all those horrid eons ago I was very, very much not a fan and didn't revisit them, despite loving 1-3, for a long time. I reread them recently and happily went through the whole shebang.

Now fully granted, it does get worse as it goes on, for a variety of reasons, but the "read until you don't want to" methodology applies real well here.

Thanks. I've been thinking about stopping at 3. I might try 4 and 5 to see if they catch my attention.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

anilEhilated posted:

Yeah, I'm not sure about that. It's a pretty stereotypical story of Artist Held Back By Tasteless Plebeian Market; granted I have no idea what Simmons was going through back then but he's showed himself to be enough of an rear end in a top hat for this analogy to be at least suspicious.

Simmons already had tendencies toward this, but 9/11 drove him insane for at least a few years. He wrote muslim suicide bombers that imploded the whole planet, and then jew-murdering muslim robots into one of his novels not long after 9/11, and then later, he wrote Flashback, which is pretty much just rightwing anti-liberal strawman, the novel: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show/151112848

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

I know I haven't been around as much lately -- I've gone from working about 35 hours a week to working about 90 -- but please do not lock threads, it'll create a giant headache when everyone freaks out. Just use the report button.

Also, this should not need repeating, but to everyone in this thread and every other thread in this subforum: before each post, please consider: "is this post about a book, or about something that is not a book, such as another poster on the forum?" Only one of those categories is on topic!

what if it is about the posting of General Battuta, world-renowned leading author of accountancy fiction