Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

goddamn that was fast

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Grouchio posted:

So what actually resulted from republicans storming today's hearings?

Sean Hannity's massive, throbbing erection.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

They're gonna wreck it!

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

lol at the clearly oafish depictions

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

eke out posted:

simply forbid political advertising on nationalized facebook

it's good public policy and it discriminates against no one. additionally, it is easy to administer because it requires zero tough judgments about what kinds of political ads are okay.

Might be able to do that even without nationalization. Okay, i like it.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

BonoMan posted:

lol at the clearly oafish depictions
I mean the guy on the far right is clearly a spitting image of Louie Gohmert, not sure what you’re talking about

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug
The only thing that could’ve made AOC’s interrogation of Zuck better is if she (or someone else down the line) would’ve made a statement on how Zuck seemingly has no idea what’s going on in his own company, and that it sounds like things have gone out of control or grown too large to control, then asking if he feels that way. When he inevitably answers that he thinks it’s under control, ask him why he couldn’t answer basic questions about company policy and that there is seemingly no way to control a company that large.

They need to set themselves up to break Facebook up into smaller regional companies and set some precedent to kill monopolies.

killer crane
Dec 30, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Riatsala posted:

goddamn that was fast

they probably have dozens of cartoons depicting reps with torches just laying around waiting to be captioned.

ewiley
Jul 9, 2003

More trash for the trash fire

Very on-brand for Fox news to give off the Official State TV vibe of 'everything is fine, carry on' during a major political crisis.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Ripoff posted:

The only thing that could’ve made AOC’s interrogation of Zuck better is if she (or someone else down the line) would’ve made a statement on how Zuck seemingly has no idea what’s going on in his own company, and that it sounds like things have gone out of control or grown too large to control, then asking if he feels that way. When he inevitably answers that he thinks it’s under control, ask him why he couldn’t answer basic questions about company policy and that there is seemingly no way to control a company that large.

They need to set themselves up to break Facebook up into smaller regional companies and set some precedent to kill monopolies.

No. Comments like that are what most reps do, and it never works out well. You've just given him a chance to filibuster the rest of her time. She does a good job precisely because she avoids that poo poo.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Zuck's new strategy of being The Dumbest Man Alive worked moderately well for him. this time he was only really bad, not catastrophically bad

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

https://twitter.com/pebonilla/status/1187102797411573763

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

eke out posted:

Zuck's new strategy of being The Dumbest Man Alive worked moderately well for him. this time he was only really bad, not catastrophically bad

He couldn't answer even basic questions about internal affairs of his company. This was still catastrophically bad.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

evilweasel posted:

No. Comments like that are what most reps do, and it never works out well. You've just given him a chance to filibuster the rest of her time. She does a good job precisely because she avoids that poo poo.

Exactly. Direct questions, ideally as close to yes/no as you can get. Any opportunity to obfuscate or filibuster should be avoided at all costs.

Guy's not dumb. He just doesn't give a rat's rear end about people.

CommieGIR posted:

He couldn't answer even basic questions about internal affairs of his company. This was still catastrophically bad.

Only if it results in some action taken. Which they're basically safe from for at least 18 months if not longer. It's not a good look, but it'll pass.

Mr. Grumpybones
Apr 18, 2002
"We're falling out of the sky! We're going down! We're a silver gleaming death machine!"

CommieGIR posted:

I don't think "catastrophic" is the right word. He's in no danger of losing control of FB or anything else. I doubt he even needs to shop up at these hearings?

ewiley
Jul 9, 2003

More trash for the trash fire

CommieGIR posted:

I think this is why most founders should not remain the CEO of their tech companies. maybe with the exception of Apple, tech geeks are poo poo at communications, and even Stebe had issues.

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER
the only opening I saw in the AOC segment was "So you, personally, think lying is bad, but you, personally, are okay profiting of said lying?"

she killed it 1000% though. Just give her a couple hours to interview Zuck.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible
Tom Steyer needs to stop wasting millions promoting himself and dump that money into ads that are full of lies about GOP members of congress. The whole situation would be cleaned up in a week.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Obligatory
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EmL-mSi1rbo

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Mr. Grumpybones posted:

He's in no danger of losing control of FB or anything else. I doubt he even needs to shop up at these hearings?

Wall Street can't take Facebook away from him, but he's clearly afraid of the possibility of the government stepping in.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

Grouchio posted:

So what actually resulted from republicans storming today's hearings?

Pizza! Everyone got to eat pizza. Sure it was Domino's cheese pizza but gift horses and all that.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/JenniferJJacobs/status/1187105968208973826

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
re: it's all cheese pizza

1glitch0 posted:

THIS is the Bad Place!

How many times have our memories been wiped and they had to reset everything?

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

haveblue posted:

Wall Street can't take Facebook away from him, but he's clearly afraid of the possibility of the government stepping in.

Unfortunately that seems pretty unlikely since hes sold what little of his soul he has left to the GOP to be their propaganda joint, and any attempt by a democratic president to break up the company (assuming we get one of those again) will be blocked by the courts

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

CommieGIR posted:

he did a bad job but not bad enough that their stock was affected, so that's probably a huge success for him

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

eke out posted:

he did a bad job but not bad enough that their stock was affected, so that's probably a huge success for him

Stock Market is a terrible gauge of....anything. Its less effective than a betting ring for statistics.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Feldegast42 posted:

Unfortunately that seems pretty unlikely since hes sold what little of his soul he has left to the GOP to be their propaganda joint, and any attempt by a democratic president to break up the company (assuming we get one of those again) will be blocked by the courts

Censuring and restricting the ways in which Facebook profits from lovely advertising/marketing would be a nice start at least. Maybe AOC et al can achieve that.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Dog Friday posted:

He’s golfing like all the time though, that must mean he’s semi okay?

He hasn’t really been golfing at all recently

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
https://mobile.twitter.com/ddale8/status/1187104954504433666

:raise:

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Mr. Grumpybones posted:

I don't think "catastrophic" is the right word. He's in no danger of losing control of FB or anything else. I doubt he even needs to shop up at these hearings?

The concern wouldn't be losing control of facebook, but bad things happening to facebook - such as antitrust enforcement that forced facebook to spin off every potential competitor it bought up

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

I, for one, support this plan to keep New Mexicans out of Colorado.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

TulliusCicero posted:

Oooohhh

That's a Bingo!

C'mon, at least post the gif.

LaserShark
Oct 17, 2007

It's over, idiot. You're gonna die here and now, and the last words out of your mouth will have been 'poop train.'

ewiley posted:

Very on-brand for Fox news to give off the Official State TV vibe of 'everything is fine, carry on' during a major political crisis.

Wait a minute, though. Wasn't the whole point of the SCIF invasion to build a narrative of 'standing up to those mean Dems'? Why would Fox avoid covering that?

no mom very hungry
Oct 5, 2004

You are getting sleepy...

LaserShark posted:

Wait a minute, though. Wasn't the whole point of the SCIF invasion to build a narrative of 'standing up to those mean Dems'? Why would Fox avoid covering that?

Perhaps even they realize that it's a bad look. 🤔

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

https://twitter.com/LindseyGrahamSC/status/1187106846651207681

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

what is he claiming he initially believed about this

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
I bet he can’t place Colorado on map. I bet he thinks it’s on the border.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Yo, wtf is this bullshit.

Its not going 13' 6" so there will still be some crashes, but not enough.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

LaserShark posted:

Because Fox, as TV people, know what optics are. Which means they knew how bad this could potentially end up looking. Especially if the idiots stood around for a bit with their thumbs up their butt then got rejected and the normal work continued delayed by only an hour or two. So they don't show the thing, at least not in real time, in order to avoid placing a narrative on their channel that a bunch of congressmen humiliated themselves.

They'll probably bring it up later once they figure out how to spin it and get their stories straight, making sure not to mention how quickly testimony reopened as if nothing had happened.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

evilweasel posted:

https://twitter.com/LindseyGrahamSC/status/1187106846651207681

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

what is he claiming he initially believed about this

...life comes at you fast, Lindsey. The original Hill article makes it pretty clear he didn't think this was something out of Les Mis when he initially dragged it.

Someone in the WH definitely gave him a call to let him know daddy doesn't appreciate independent thought.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
At least Trump has been working hard between Tweetstorms...

https://twitter.com/TomiLahren/status/1187105545997602816