Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
DSD is great. I think the devs are working on a second “season” too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls

Glagha posted:

Holy poo poo the fetus thing in that video I can't even believe this poo poo game is real

I rolled my eyes at that part so hard it hurt.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
After Outlast its just a race for the edgiest poo poo.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

:lol: at that Agony: Succubus or whatever it's called trailer, looks like they just took a bunch of leftover assets and mechanics from Agony and slapped them together. Wanna bet they're rushing it out for a pre-Halloween release

Glagha posted:

It's a shame because I'm a fan of Doom and normally I'd be all over fire and brimstone screaming hellscape stuff. But it's this instead.
That's one of the biggest problems with Agony, saying as someone who actually played through the stupid thing, it managed to make its hellworld really boring. There are actually moments of promising design, like the icy-hell parts and places where you get a glimpse off into the distance where the sky is all wrong and everything seems to stretch out forever, but nah, most of the thing is just crawling along in tunnels item hunting and dealing with really lovely, broken stealth sections. The mechanics suck, the level design sucks, and apparently after all the doubling down they've been doing, the devs suck too. The really problematic poo poo that keeps getting highlighted in screencaps and Youtube videos is a very small part of the game but still really sucks and they seem to be pushing that to sell the game.

I was sold at first on the idea of a hellworld exploration game with demons ripped out of King James Version christianity, and the game lost me after a couple hours but I still powered through out of spite to see if it did anything interesting, spoiler alert it really doesn't. There's some bit tacked on at the end about the main character being the biblical Nimrod, but the rest of the game doesn't tie into it in a worthwhile way other than the old trope of journal entries, which makes me think devs are dumb and mostly just throwing poo poo at the wall.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
can they make a "the good place"-inspired hell game? please

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Grim Fandango?

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I just want a completely authentic divine comedy game.

Just a walking sim where Virgil leads Dante through Inferno and Purgatorio and Beatrice guides him through Paradiso while Dante points out how all of the people he doesn't like are in Inferno, people he was eh about are in Purgatorio, and nice guying his way through alongside Beatrice while talking about how all of his friends and cool people he likes are chilling in the spheres of Paradiso.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Dante's Inferno was p laughable how much it wanted to out-God of War God of War

al-azad
May 28, 2009

FirstAidKite posted:

I just want a completely authentic divine comedy game.

Just a walking sim where Virgil leads Dante through Inferno and Purgatorio and Beatrice guides him through Paradiso while Dante points out how all of the people he doesn't like are in Inferno, people he was eh about are in Purgatorio, and nice guying his way through alongside Beatrice while talking about how all of his friends and cool people he likes are chilling in the spheres of Paradiso.

There is a Japanese game that is just this. I’m too drunk to remember the name, but it was published by Koei on the pc-98?

Zushio
May 8, 2008
I have started Alien: Isolation and am enjoying it greatly. Sometimes the alien gets a little goofy, but everything else is spot on atmosphere and sound design.

I have also started up The Silver Case on the side. I'm not quite sure it's horror, but it is certainly weird. I knew that going in. Also can I just say that Sumio Kodai/Mondo is one of the best characters of all time in a video game? Even if he did punch a kid in Flower, Sun, Rain. I'm pretty sure that kid was an rear end in a top hat.

Ferrous
Feb 28, 2010

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Dante's Inferno was p laughable how much it wanted to out-God of War God of War

One of my all-time favourite video game lines:

"Sniff again!"

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Zushio posted:

Even if he did punch a kid in Flower, Sun, Rain. I'm pretty sure that kid was an rear end in a top hat.

drat. You don't often see an overhand punch to the back of the head from in front of someone.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

That kid deserved it.

Zushio
May 8, 2008

davidspackage posted:

drat. You don't often see an overhand punch to the back of the head from in front of someone.

Sumio is simply that badass.

SelenicMartian posted:

That kid deserved it.

Wait, someone else played Flower, Sun, Rain (or even knows what it is)? That's what I got from your statement and having seen some of your LP work I guess it makes sense that it's you.

Feel free to correct, but if you did play, what did you think?

Edit: My God, it's happening. Swery65 and Suda51 are teaming up on a horror game. I am pretty much that extremely fat cat breathing heavily right now. I don't think I have been this excited for a game in my entire life and there is virtually no information or a publisher. Devolver wants in, I can tell. Someone tweet Ikumi Nakamura about this, I feel like her involvement would be crucial.

Edit Edit: gently caress it call Keita Takahashi out of hiding and recruit Kotaro Uchikoshi, he's pretty big right now and I'm a huge fan. Maybe see what Kojima is up to now that Death Stranding is almost out. Go big on the crazies or go home. That way my heart can actually stop from sheer excitement.

Edit Edit Edit: Hell Taro Yoko can come too. Let's get this poo poo lit.

Zushio fucked around with this message at 10:11 on Oct 24, 2019

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Zushio posted:

Feel free to correct, but if you did play, what did you think?
I think I've played it enough times to almost get the fast-running unlock. OK, OK, I skip the non-Sumio chapters.
I even know that the game shames you for using the bicycle even if you never touch it.

It's a nice relaxing experience. The Silver Case and The 25th Ward are way more unhinged.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Scorn, is the name of the other Giger game I was trying to think of. Still not out! :v:

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Bogart posted:

Scorn, is the name of the other Giger game I was trying to think of. Still not out! :v:
Yeah I backed that one! Based on the demo and other info so far it looks way more promising than Inner Chains (which came out and has a great visual style and sets up a weird mysterious world but is still a broken mess) and Agony (fart).

Last update was a couple months ago and was just "it's not coming out this year" so it will be a while yet: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1777595379/scorn-part-1-of-2-dasein/posts/2593411

Also a shame they fell into the trap of planning it as a multi part game from the beginning. Still hopeful though!

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Last I heard the Scorn guys found someone to give them more money than expected so they delayed the game to scale up. I don't know if that process has been successful though.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Bogart posted:

There is also Darkseed! A kinda-sorta live-action point'n'click that mixes a live-acted player character with hand-drawn backgrounds and NPCs in a heavily Giger-inspired style. It's actually pretty creepy. The sequel was even more so.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

The sequel of dark seed has the best explanation scene of all time

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

I think this one flew under a lot of radars, including horror fans because it's not viscerally scary but does a good job of conveying the dread and isolation of surviving the apocalypse.

:ohno: SPOOKY GAMES 6: Hellseeker :ohno:

1. Apsulov: End of Gods
2. Conarium
3. TAMASHII
4. Apparition
5. Secrets of the Maw (DLC)
6. Bad Dream: Coma
7. They Breathe
8. The Final Station
9. Love, Sam
10. Pacify
11. Return of the Obra Dinn
12. Silver Chains
13. Bad Dream: Fever
14. DISTRAINT 2
15. Pamali: Indonesian Folklore Horror
16. Tormentum - Dark Sorrow
17. The Light Keeps Us Safe
18. Kalaban
19. Verde Station
20. Evil
21. Stygian: Reign of the Old Ones
22. Watch This!
23. The Darkside Detective

24. REDO!

One of the things I like most about the huge glut of indie platformers on Steam is the great variety of moods and motifs you can find among them. Sure, there are countless poor imitations of Super Meat Boy to sift through, but honestly there are just as many that have genuinely unique looks and feels that deserve to be seen. REDO! treads some familiar ground with a techno-apocalypse, but gives it its own spark with a pervasive sense of uncertainty, dread, and isolation. It’s not the easiest game to break into, given some of its more punishing conceits, but it’s definitely worth it for a platforming experience all its own.

We sure do like apocalypses in our video games, don’t we? This one goes mostly unexplained for once, leaving the world utterly ruined, humanity reduced to lifeless husks, and strange techno-organic beasts roaming what remains. You might very well be the last human left alive, a condition that is in no way enviable given your oppressive isolation. But a strange broadcast suggests that there is at least one other survivor, and they want to meet at the top of the city’s cathedral. With nothing better to do, you leave the dark confines of your hideaway and face the terrors that have taken the city, all for a chance to see another living soul again.

The sense of solitude is a big part of what makes REDO! work so well. Everything about the design, from the unearthly enemies to the muted colors and sound selections, is intended to sell that feeling of being the only living soul around. It’s compounded in a surprising way by characters you meet who are not human themselves, and who draw a very uncomfortable distinction between you and them. The best parts of REDO! are when you’re navigating deep tunnels or abandoned streets and get that same feeling of being in a quietly hostile alien world that games like Dark Souls inspire. And there are a lot of those parts, given how sprawling and twisted the ruins are.

The game takes more than just a feel from Dark Souls, and not everything it borrows is for the best. Level design is, though, with a world of dark tunnels, crumbling buildings, and sunny rooftops to explore. There are light metroidvania elements in some of the items and tools you find, and tons of shortcuts to unlock back to save points. Save points are a bit too sparse for my tastes, however, which can make figuring out some of the game’s nastier enemies a painful experience. You don’t lose anything besides time from being killed but it’s a reset back to that previous save, meaning you don’t keep anything you found or unlocked. Despite being a traditional save setup, it doesn’t mesh well with the soulslike influences found elsewhere in the game.

Enemies are likely to be the most contentious part of REDO!, both in how they’re designed and how you deal with them. Your foes are all twisted masses of black cabling, warped flesh, and crackling electricity. Some look disturbingly humanoid, while others are spheres, knots, or hulking beasts. They all have gimmicks to their attacks, and the further into the game you get the further they get from basic threats. Late game enemies have ruinous flame attacks, bullet-hell waves of shots, and one particularly nasty one is completely invisible and can kill you in one or two touches. Some of these gimmicks blow past challenge and land squarely in the realm of frustration, especially with your purposefully slow melee attacks in mind. You get some neat tools like blasters and rocket launchers, but limited ammo means they’ll be reserved for the most troublesome foes.

Combat mostly captures the tactical thrill of timing hits and making the most of staggers, it’s just that when it doesn’t, it really doesn’t. If you can overlook that, though, you’ll have an emotional, challenging adventure to work through. The pixel art is clean and evocative, especially with the restrained palette it works off of. And the sound design is just as reserved, breaking in with rich effects when they’ll have the most impact. You only need that all-important patience to work out enemy patterns and the sprawling map, but it’s effort that’s well-rewarded. REDO! captures the more thoughtful side of the end of the world, facing you with a lonely journey that feels as punishing as being the last human left.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

The Saddest Rhino posted:

The sequel of dark seed has the best explanation scene of all time
That it does. :psyboom:

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
(Warning: This explains nothing.)

Edit: Just realized this is a link to an avi file. Man, LPs back in the day.

Good LPs of both the first and second game in the LP Archive.

Morpheus fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Oct 24, 2019

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

Zushio posted:

Want to chime in on Breakdown. That is a truly epic game and absolutely had me on edge for 90% of it. But seriously, did anyone ever beat that giant rear end white room with pillars right near the end full of heavies and other super dangerous crap? I'm pretty sure it's literally the room before the final boss but holy poo poo did I slam about 6 hours into that one section before I actually gave up. Returned my rental a day early even.

That room sits in memory as the most difficult thing I have ever done in a video game, and yeah you're right about where it is in the game. I think it was at least a full day of attempts while I was home sick, maybe more than one. Totally worth it, though, and I'm with the previous poster wishing for a rerelease playable on PC/modern consoles.

dregan
Jan 16, 2005

I could transport you all into space if I wanted.
I checked but must have missed the post this was linked in, but Fanatical have a pick-and-mix horror bundle up right now. Nothing looks particularly stand-out in it (though I might finally give Stasis a shot), but any recommendations welcomed!

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

The Padre is excellent. It's like a very blocky and humorous take on Alone In The Dark. Monstrum is popular and I believe I've heard good things about The Town Of Light.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Stasis is

Fine.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Does Shadows of the Damned ever stop trying too hard?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

No. No, it really doesn't. If anything it gets worse.

quote:

"Taste my Big Boner!"

If you haven't seen it yet, you'll know when you get there.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I'm fairly sure the whole premise of the game "trying too hard" so if you want something that isn't that you're outta luck

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

SelenicMartian posted:

That's kind of the point of the game.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

I've just started and I'm not sure yet whether it's a good 'trying too hard' or a bad 'trying too hard'.

So, it's like Lollipop Chainsaw mixed with Dante's Inferno.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

SelenicMartian posted:

It's very, very over the top. It's a pity the name is so generic because the game itself is not at all. But it is also very much an acquired taste. super great friend did a good lp of it.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

MAI SPICY BONEAIR

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Demons love two things: torment and strawberries.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

:ohno: SPOOKY GAMES 6: Hellseeker :ohno:

1. Apsulov: End of Gods
2. Conarium
3. TAMASHII
4. Apparition
5. Secrets of the Maw (DLC)
6. Bad Dream: Coma
7. They Breathe
8. The Final Station
9. Love, Sam
10. Pacify
11. Return of the Obra Dinn
12. Silver Chains
13. Bad Dream: Fever
14. DISTRAINT 2
15. Pamali: Indonesian Folklore Horror
16. Tormentum - Dark Sorrow
17. The Light Keeps Us Safe
18. Kalaban
19. Verde Station
20. Evil
21. Stygian: Reign of the Old Ones
22. Watch This!
23. The Darkside Detective
24. REDO!

25. Lost in Vivo

A huge swath of the modern indie horror scene has been directly influenced by the Silent Hill series, but what developers choose to do with that inspiration varies wildly. Far too many devs simply try to remake their favorite Silent Hill in a different format, generally to pretty poor effect. Others adopt elements of the presentation, while I’d argue the most successful use the style and designs to explore their own emotional themes. That’s what Lost in Vivo does, essentially making a game that looks and feels the part of a proper Silent Hill while striking out in its own directions. Some of them are bound to be rough directions for some, but if you can stomach those parts, you’ll be promised an intense, creepy journey for your trouble.

While out on a walk with your trusty (and adorable) service dog, a freak rainstorm strikes and washes the poor pup down into the sewers. Not about to lose a corgi so easily, you descend into the cramped tunnels below town and set out to find your pooch. Turns out there’s more than just sewer pipes down there, though, as you start to encounter all sorts of strange markings, passages, chambers, and creatures. The nightmare inhabitants of the underground clearly do not want you reaching your goal, and they will try to stop you on a very personal level. You’ll need not only an iron resolve to reach the end of this journey, but also a willingness to reflect on what’s brought you to this strange, ever-changing place.

There is a lot of symbolism wrapped up in the locales and monsters of Lost in Vivo, some more obvious than others, but all of them very pertinent to your character’s mental state. It’s one of the game’s biggest strengths, that it is clearly an effective journey into your character’s psyche, but also an actual journey into subterranean realms, and the line between the two is wonderfully blurred. I’ve grown intensely tired of horror games set entirely in a character’s head but that’s definitely not the case here, and as much as I dislike that particular trope, I love it when it becomes impossible to tell perceptions from reality.

Much of your time down here will be spent exploring ominous, forlorn tunnels and puzzling through the strange obstructions that stand in your path. The developer of Lost in Vivo is a master of setting the atmosphere simply with empty rooms, mixing clever sound design with tight control of the player’s perceptions to make even a straight hallway seem chilling. There are no straight-up jumpscares here but there are absolutely things that will catch you off-guard, and I’ve yelped more than a few times at the unexpected appearance of a new monster or strange event. This is also a game that plays with the boundaries between game and player, so expect some surprises in how the game flows and communicates with you, even in places like the Game Over screen.

One thing I will spoil is one of the themes of Lost in Vivo, because it’s something that is a very real concern for a lot of people. This is advertised as a horror game about claustrophobia and that’s absolutely true, but there’s also symbolic discussion here about eating disorders and body image that could hit pretty hard. The sequences that most closely touch on this theme are very well done in my opinion, but that’s not going to make it any easier to get through for folks grappling with similar issues.

Beyond the themes, I will admit to being underwhelmed by the combat in the game. Don’t get me wrong, the monsters themselves are horrific and creative in equal measures, and I’m very glad they’re here to terrify me. But when I have to fight them off, they lose a bit of their luster. Part of the problem is that your weapons don’t seem very sensibly balanced, with your pistol seeming to be far more effective than heavier weapons in many cases. Being able to shoot down some of these creatures also takes the edge off their creep factor, moreso than with the desperate combat of something like Silent Hill or even Condemned.

If you can get past these rough edges, though, Lost in Vivo is a real gem of a horror game. The low-res models and textures are just the right kind of evocative to help your mind fill in the scariest gaps, and the sound design is probably some of the best in the genre. Simple moments like opening a door or walking down a dark hallway are incredibly powerful here, because of how intense the atmosphere is and how good the game is at defying your expectations. There are hidden tapes in the game that add some even more nightmarish scenarios to experience, and more recently the developer has been adding new tapes to the Extras that are just as effective. Between these bonuses and the main game’s three or so hours of terror, there’s plenty of scares to be had here.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!

1stGear posted:

Please note that the exact moment you get tired of the Xenomorph in A:I is the exact moment you should stop. That game is entirely too long and you aren't really missing anything if you don't play the back half.

this was in the med bay for me. i finished it, though i didnt touch the dlc.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Supposedly there’s an intentional design behind the weapons in LiV. The pistol is meant for “spirits” and the shotgun physical monsters.

It just dropped two new expansions, one produced by horror streamer MrKravin that’s really well done.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I like that the dog in Lost in Vivo is voiced by MrKravin's dog

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

0 rows returned
Apr 9, 2007

The Carrion demo just got released, its extremely good.