Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

October 23 - Ouija: Origin of Evil

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJIcZGEjjwo

I had a joke here about Milton Bradley being the origin of all evil. Then the movie actually did that with the source of evil being the actual toy that they made rather than just any generic spirit board. I guess that makes sense since this was one of the few things from Hasbro's attempt to make their board games into movies that actually got produced, but I honestly wasn't expecting that.

A phony psychic has been scamming people with fake seances and having her children help out. Things start to get real when she gets a Ouija board and her youngest daughter starts getting really chatty with the ghosts. It's not long before they have a possessed child running around and doing evil.

I'm going to be honest, I went into this with super low expectations. Afterward, I can confidently say that this is the best movie based on a Hasbro property that has been made by a wide margin (suck it, Transformers). Yeah, it's kind of a standard horror movie, but it's a well produced standard horror movie. It hits the right notes, has the right levels of scares and weirdness, and for the most part it does what it sets out to do.

There is one big exception there. The attempt to give the movie the feel of a 70's horror film was intriguing, but kind of half-assed. Okay, there's reel change markers and some slight frame jumps in the transitions, and there's some scenes that are done like a 70's movie. That doesn't make a lot of difference when the rest of the movie is shot and edited like a mid-2010's horror movie. They didn't even do the color and lighting like a seventies movie. I'd rather they didn't do it at all rather than go halfway. Compare this to The Love Witch which is another recent movie that attempted to replicate the feel of seventies horror and the The Love Witch went all in on making the look and feel of the film match the time.

I loved the twist that came half way through where the ghosts are faking other ghost contacts through the board. It was a great way to take the fraudulent nature of Ouija and spin it around a horror movie concept. And that exposition scene getting to a point where I was going, "If you know this, why are you doing the exact wrong thing right now?" and the characters realizing it too right then, which was a fun way to ramp up the tension.

So Ouija: Origin of Evil was fine. Though it's not something that I'd say people have been missing out on by not watching it, it was an enjoyable movie. It's not original or clever, it's just decent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

#140) Killer Klowns from Outer Space (1988), a.k.a., Space Invaders, a.k.a., Killer Klowns
Tubi. I've been meaning to watch this movie for, oh, about two decades. People talk this one up so much that I was nervous to watch it and find out the reality. And to think, I hesitated.

A meteor crashes down near a small town, and when people go to investigate, they find a strange circus tent, filled with strange clowns. Or klowns.

Holy smokes, the design work on this movie is beautiful. Costumes, lighting, sets, color choices, props, shadows, vehicles... every aspect had at least a handful of instances that were fantastically realized. And it really is as funny as people say, I was cracking up through so much of this movie. It's bursting with creativity and charm, and rides the edge between morbid and hilarious with amazing finesse. Having capable, rational characters is yet another thing in its favor. I loved this, have to get a hard copy now. Bless the Chiodos.

:spooky: rating: 8/10

"God, is this place great or what? It looks like it was decorated by Clowns R Us!" "I don't know."

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

:spooky::spooky:SUPER SAMHAIN CHALLENGE #7: MONSTER MASH-UP:spooky::spooky:

quote:

Watch a horror film that you haven't seen that features two different monsters.

35. Neon Maniacs (1988)
Dir: Joseph Mangine
(Plex)

There's very little plot to speak of, mostly consisting of "a horde of monster men, each with their own weird gimmick, are killing teenagers". Notable for the A++ name and having the least convincing adults playing high schoolers I've seen in a while. Like Spookies, this film basically exists as a demo reel to show off the make up artists' chops, and the monster designs are unique and weird enough to make this a harmless way to pass some time. Like Nightbreed or Hellraiser, each monster man has their own gimmick. The gimmicks range from caveman to culturally appropriative samurai mutant to weird cyclops Godzilla thing.

This might be a tenuous pick for the Samhain challenge, considering the monsters in this film are all somewhat humanoid and on a team of monsters called the "maniacs", but I think each monster design is distinct and varied enough to qualify. Someone tell me if I'm wrong on this and I'll watch another film.

Does this count, Fran?

Watched: 1. Candyman 2. The Wailing 3. Spookies 4. One Cut of the Dead 5. Viy 6. The Driller Killer 7. Tammy and the T-Rex 8. Friday the 13th Pt VI: Jason Lives 9. Scary Movie 10. Ice Cream Man 11. Freaks 12.The Hills Have Eyes 13. Spider Baby 14. Lady Terminator 15. All The Colors of the Dark 16.Tales From The Hood 17. Man Bites Dog 18. Prime Evil 19. Bride of Re-Animator 20. The Phantom Carriage 21. Thinner 22. Robot Monster 23. Color Me Blood Red 24. A Bay of Blood 25. Errementari: The Devil and the Blacksmith 26. The Lighthouse 27. TerrorVision 28. Phantom of the Opera (1925) 29. Stay Alive 30. Hobgoblins 31. Knife + Heart 32. Rats: Night of Terror 33. Dog Soldiers 34. A Nightmare on Elm Street (2010) 35. Neon Maniacs

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

13) Killer Condom
Absurd comedy horror/AIDS allegory. Good effects work and design by Giger and the Nekromantic guy. Lots of dumb gags and fun. This could stand to lose 10-15 minutes and be breezier.
🍆🍆🍆

14) Addams Family (2019)
It's bad. The designs are ok and I like the bouncy animation but the script is obsessed with the laziest kids movie tropes instead of creepy weirdos. I don't love Hotel Transylvania films but they're streets ahead of this.
⚰️

15) Zombieland
Very fun with a thin plot and the greatest cameo in history. Basically Shaun of the Dead but laser focused on physical comedy. There's a reason why a Chaplin look-a-like is the zombie killed on Hollywood Blvd. The dramatic beats work but the narration is unnecessary after the introduction.
🎢 🎢 🎢 🎢

16) Zombieland: Double Tap (Challenge #6 a horror sequel)
It's barely worth your time but I don't hate it. Seeing it in Dolby makes the constant CGI blood look terrible. Zoey Deutch makes a lot out of a one-note character but maybe they should have given some development to Little Rock?
I don't know when this was shot but oh dear at the stinger where a beloved Today Show figure turns into a grotesque monster. Might have been less awkward to use that spot to resurrect Billy Bush's career.
🎆🎆

17) Deep Red
Italian cut. It's not Suspiria but there are some very good shots and colors. The comedy beats work but the main plot grabbed me less than Opera or Phenomena. The Goblin score is wonderful, of course.
🔪🔪🔪

18) Necronomicon (Challenge #4 a book of Legend)
Watch this for the goopy special effects. They are incredible. The individual stories are bogged down with flashbacks and don't reach the heights of your favorite Tales From The Crypt episodes.
📖📖

19) The Funhouse
The third act is wonderful but I lost interest after a slog of a first hour. A huge disappointment. Tobe has made some incredible movies but this can't even hang with second tier Location Slashers like The Initiation or Intruder. The carnival score is a highlight.
🎪🎪

20) Demon Knight (Challenge #3 mentioned in Horror Noire)
A great time. Give Billy Zane an Oscar. This one has lots of good characters and a cast that elevates the material like every beloved Tales From The Crypt entry. It gets the most out of one weird location and some external shots. The Crypt Keeper wraparound is a delight. The bluray (original film?) is kind of rough. It's shot and lit nicely but the transfer does not pop and has a fair amount of dirt or black spots.
🤠🤠🤠🤠

20/31 Movies
9/10 Decades: '20, '30, '40, '60, '70, '80, '90, '00, '10
5/?? Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 6

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

:siren:Super Samhain Challenge #8: Happy Holidays:siren:

23. Black Christmas (1974):
I’m sure everyone here knows it already, but this is a really good slasher. The killer is very creepy, in part because we never get a good look at him. The long shots at the very end of the movie are very unsettling. This is also one of the most Canadian movies I’ve seen and parts of it almost remind me of Fargo in the juxtaposition of funny (to me) accents and politeness with horrific murders. But the horror is very effective. Good movie.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

Friends Are Evil posted:

:spooky::spooky:SUPER SAMHAIN CHALLENGE #7: MONSTER MASH-UP:spooky::spooky:

35. Neon Maniacs (1988)
Dir: Joseph Mangine
(Plex)

There's very little plot to speak of, mostly consisting of "a horde of monster men, each with their own weird gimmick, are killing teenagers". Notable for the A++ name and having the least convincing adults playing high schoolers I've seen in a while. Like Spookies, this film basically exists as a demo reel to show off the make up artists' chops, and the monster designs are unique and weird enough to make this a harmless way to pass some time. Like Nightbreed or Hellraiser, each monster man has their own gimmick. The gimmicks range from caveman to culturally appropriative samurai mutant to weird cyclops Godzilla thing.

This might be a tenuous pick for the Samhain challenge, considering the monsters in this film are all somewhat humanoid and on a team of monsters called the "maniacs", but I think each monster design is distinct and varied enough to qualify. Someone tell me if I'm wrong on this and I'll watch another film.

Does this count, Fran?

Watched: 1. Candyman 2. The Wailing 3. Spookies 4. One Cut of the Dead 5. Viy 6. The Driller Killer 7. Tammy and the T-Rex 8. Friday the 13th Pt VI: Jason Lives 9. Scary Movie 10. Ice Cream Man 11. Freaks 12.The Hills Have Eyes 13. Spider Baby 14. Lady Terminator 15. All The Colors of the Dark 16.Tales From The Hood 17. Man Bites Dog 18. Prime Evil 19. Bride of Re-Animator 20. The Phantom Carriage 21. Thinner 22. Robot Monster 23. Color Me Blood Red 24. A Bay of Blood 25. Errementari: The Devil and the Blacksmith 26. The Lighthouse 27. TerrorVision 28. Phantom of the Opera (1925) 29. Stay Alive 30. Hobgoblins 31. Knife + Heart 32. Rats: Night of Terror 33. Dog Soldiers 34. A Nightmare on Elm Street (2010) 35. Neon Maniacs

I don’t think many people have seen Neon Maniacs but I have, and I’ll vouch for you on this. Although they’re all humanoid it’s like a team of unique, evil action figures.

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

36. Hagazussa (2017)
Dir: Lukas Feigelfeld

(Shudder)

A robust addition to the "doom metal horror" canon. I've heard a lot of people compare this to slow cinema and that doesn't seem too far off the mark, to be honest. You really have to be in the right mood for this one, but if you are, hoo boy. The closest thing you could compare this movie to is maybe The Witch, but this feels like it goes in it's own intensely atmospheric direction? It's plot is the barest of bare bones, but that leaves you enough room to drown in the gorgeously-shot woods and creeping drone of it all. Kinda surprised they didn't try to commission Earth to do the score.

Unrelated, but the lead actress looks weirdly similar to Isabella Adjani. Considering the film straight-up borrows a bit from the legendary subway freakout scene in Possession, that can't have been a coincidence.

Watched: 1. Candyman 2. The Wailing 3. Spookies 4. One Cut of the Dead 5. Viy 6. The Driller Killer 7. Tammy and the T-Rex 8. Friday the 13th Pt VI: Jason Lives 9. Scary Movie 10. Ice Cream Man 11. Freaks 12.The Hills Have Eyes 13. Spider Baby 14. Lady Terminator 15. All The Colors of the Dark 16.Tales From The Hood 17. Man Bites Dog 18. Prime Evil 19. Bride of Re-Animator 20. The Phantom Carriage 21. Thinner 22. Robot Monster 23. Color Me Blood Red 24. A Bay of Blood 25. Errementari: The Devil and the Blacksmith 26. The Lighthouse 27. TerrorVision 28. Phantom of the Opera (1925) 29. Stay Alive 30. Hobgoblins 31. Knife + Heart 32. Rats: Night of Terror 33. Dog Soldiers 34. A Nightmare on Elm Street (2010) 35. Neon Maniacs 36. Hagazussa

Friends Are Evil fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Oct 24, 2019

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
:siren: SUPER SAMHAIN CHALLENGE #6: Sometimes They Come Back :siren:

#27) The Town That Dreaded Sundown (2014)

This was an interesting remake. The coolest thing, to me, was that in the world of this film, the original film not only exists, but the original is a retelling of a true story. So, in this movie, you have a killer who is recreating murders from a 30-year old movie, which is itself portraying murders from years before that. As a producer, this is gold - you start out your budget-friendly bottom-tier horror movie with a pedigree and universe already built in to it. That was clever. And on top of that, I was pretty surprised how much I liked it. For what it was (a modern low-budget slasher), it had a good amount of whodunnit, and not too many jump scares.

:spooky: 3/5

Challenges completed: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Challenges not completed: 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

Clayren
Jun 4, 2008

grandma plz don't folow me on twiter its embarassing, if u want to know what animes im watching jsut read the family newsletter like normal
21. Rabies

This movie was competently shot, if not very interesting looking. It's mostly a movie about people being jerks to each other in the woods. But something about this specific combination of sexual assault, sexism and vague, half-formed worldview delivered in an annoying way really rubbed me wrong. I don't like this film, I actively dislike it and have trouble quantifying why. The end scene is funny though, so hey it's got that going for it.

:spooky: :ghost:

22. A Series of Unfortunate Events

It's less than a horror movie and more of an adventure movie with gothic visuals, but the school I was substituting at was having a reward day for the kids and they put this on as a kid-safe "spooky" movie (although at one point Jim Carey says "dammit" and that got some of the kids excited). It's not a good movie, they tried to jam a bunch of different books into a single movie so you have like 5 story arcs in an hour and a half and then the ending is left open for the possibility of a sequel which never happened. Things move too fast as a result and there is no time to enjoy the distinct "voice" of the story. Jim Carey is woefully underutilized as a 1-dimensional villain who is Just Crazy. That's his defining personality trait, he is just a crazy person who acts crazy and weird.

Netflix came out with a multi-season series based on the books a few years after this film that is actually quite good, just see that instead.

:spooky: :spooky:

23. The Masque of the Red Death

A classic story told with some great sets and the performance of Vincent Price. The bits tacked on to make the story movie-length aren't as good as the core story, but they aren't bad either. The scene in the black room with the Red Death is just gorgeous and does a lot with very little.

:spooky: :spooky: :spooky: :spooky:

quote:

1. The Shining [5/5 Spooks]
2. Noroi [4.5/5 Spooks]
3. The People Under the Stairs [5/5 Spooks]
4. The Ravenous [4/5 Spooks]
5. Trick R Treat [4.5/5 Spooks]
6. Alucarda [2/5 Spooks]
7. Tourist Trap [4/5 Spooks]
8. Horror Noire [5/5 Spooks]
9. Attack the Block [4/5 Spooks]
10. Ghostbusters [4.5/5 Spooks]
11. VIY [3/5 Spooks]
12. Eyes Without a Face [3.5/5 Spooks]
13. Alien [5/5 Spooks]
14. The Ruins [4/5 Spooks]
15. The Cell [4/5 Spooks]
16. Digging Up the Marrow [4/5 Spooks]
17. The Canal [4/5 Spooks]
18. Deep Red [3.5/5 Spooks]
19. God Told Me To [4.5/5 Spooks]
20. Zombieland 2: [2.5/5 Spooks]
21. Rabies [1.5/5 Spooks]
22. A Series of Unfortunate Events [2/5 Spooks]
23. The Masque of the Red Death [4/5 Spooks]

Somebody fucked around with this message at 13:08 on Oct 24, 2019

Five Eyes
Oct 26, 2017
28.) Unmatta

2019, first watch, Amazon Prime

Unmatta is a Marathi-language sci-fi horror. It's written and directed by Mahesh Rajmane, who, well, let's let his IMDB bio speak for itself:

IMDB posted:

With no formal training in movie making, he decided to "learn by doing" and shot and released "Mukkam Post Dhanori" (A Marathi movie) in 40 theaters in 2014. His real interest is in science fictions and wants to bring the genre in Indian cinemas. He spent 2 years in researching and writing script of "Unmatta" after personally experiencing "sleep paralysis". "Unmatta" is finest piece of science fiction India has ever produced and is possible only because of Independent production.

In terms of inspiration, Unmatta is somwhere between Flatliners and Nightmare on Elm Street. Psychic researcher Sidhartha creates a new psychedelic designed to facilitate telepathic communication and shared consciousness. It doesn't go well, as you might expect.

I found out about Unmatta when checking out the IMDB credits for a fight choreographer, and the movie has more than its fair share of oddly interminable fight sequences. These don't really end up meaning much, and in fact undermine the heroine's only defining trait - despite Aditi being established as an MMA hardass, she is repeatedly saved by the male cast. There's really not much good I can say about Unmatta and women, with its female characters existing solely to be harassed and victimized so that the men may heroically throw themselves into the fray.

The "twist", such as it is, has some punch - it's pretty mean, all things considered - but I was so over the whole movie by that point that it hardly mattered. For those that aren't going to check this out: Aditi recovers the suppressed memories of the identity of her childhood rapist, a family friend - but he died last year. He'll never be brought to justice, and Aditi and her uncle, in their ignorance, attended and wept at the dude's funeral. She can't have her revenge or justice in the real world, so she opts to stay in the dream world and go Freddy Krueger on criminals and other victimizers. You could build a whole, much better movie around that setting, but instead it's just the frame for this fairly boring and consequence-free tale. You'd think a movie with the tag line "free will is an illusion" would at least swing for the fences, but no such luck. With all due respect to Mahesh Rajmane and independent cinema, "finest piece of science fiction India has ever produced" is a hurdle far too ambitious for this to clear.

For those of you keeping score, Unmatta's got a rap over the credits, but it's not explaining the plot of the movie, so I don't think it counts. Instead, please enjoy these two cool cats, courtesy of Unmatta:

She is watching.

29.) Cast a Deadly Spell

1991, rewatch, Amazon Prime

This came up over breakfast with my partner, and we had some free time, so it's a bit of an impulse watch.

First things first, let's just make this very clear here: Yeeeeeeeeeeeuurgh. Cast has its funny moments, great effects bits, and some enjoyable caricature acting, and it's worth a look if it's never crossed your radar, but a central "gag" about statutory rape is just absolutely vile, and it's not like '91 is some distant, different time in that regard. The whoa-worthy stuff with how the film treats Lilly is likewise a blight on what could have been a wacky ride.

That handled: What a weird movie. The premise isn't actually super alien to the early 90s - there are a lot of movies where you can be like "It's this but with magic instead of (whatever)." But it definitely feels super random if you just describe it to folks. I think the real issue is that there's about a short film and a half's worth of effective scenes and visuals in here, and then some packing peanuts. Like, here's a 90-minute runtime and it still feeds like there's a lot of time-wasting padding. Also - and it feels odd to say this about a comedy - the period-pastiche dialogue's a little too cute and too rote, in a way that distracts from the other gags.

Gives me the shakes what you can buy in this town.

Watched: 1.) Cabinet of Dr. Caligari [Classics], 2.) Occult [J- and K-horror], 3.) Son of Frankenstein [Threequels, Samhain Challenge #1], 4.) Game Over [India] 5.) Candyman [Clive Barker], 6.) Knife + Heart [New Releases], 7.) Butterfly Murders, 8.) The Phantom of the Opera (1925) [Classics], 9.) One Cut of the Dead [J- and K-Horror], 10.) Hatchet III [Threequels, Samhain Challenge #2], 11.) Neighbours: They Are Vampires [India], 12.) Midnight Meat Train [Clive Barker], 13.) Us [New Releases, Samhain Challenge #3], 14.) The Taking of Deborah Logan, 15.) People Under the Stairs, 16.) L'Inferno [Classics], 17.) The Host [J- and K-horror], 18.) Hell House LLC 3 [Threequels], 19.) Stree [India, Samhain Challenge #4], 20.) P [Samhain Challenge #5: Thailand], 21.) Lord of Illusiosn [Clive Barker], 22.) Child's Play [New Releases], 23.) Tigers Are Not Afraid, 24.) Creature from the Black Lagoon [Classics], 25.) Ju-on: The Grudge 2 [J- and K-Horror, Samhain Challenge #6], 26.) The Robot vs. the Aztec Mummy [Threequels, Samhain Challenge #7], 27.) Rare Exports: A Christmas Story [Samhain Challenge #8], 28.) Unmatta [India] , 29.) Cast a Deadly Spell

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

# 21 THE SIXTH SENSE (1999)

Unlike every other person who had a VCR or DVD player back in 2000, I hadn’t seen this until now, believe it or not. I recall my brother enthusiastically describing the scene with the kid who turns away from the camera and reveals a hole in his head – you don’t see that too often. Such gruesome content seldom made its way to mainstream audiences. This was a big deal back then.

Oh, but this is a very emotionally resonant film, too. For a movie iconic for its scares, just as effective are the tears. Anyone who thinks about death or struggles philosophically with the concept of it is going to be moved by this film. Good performances and a good soundtrack contribute to the subject matter, but I feel the heavy-lifting was entirely on the director. Much of the material could have easily fallen flat without him.

I feel nostalgic for the days M. Night Shyamalan was seen as an innovative genius in popular culture, not the butt of jokes. In an interview, he said an artist peaks when a certain youthful vigor and intuition combines with the right amount of age and wisdom. I suppose 1999-2002 was such a time for him.

SCORE: 8.0 / 10

# 22 THE SERPENT AND THE RAINBOW (1988)

Bill Pullman is weird and here he is in a pretty weird movie. Not only is his character a douchebag in general, he is assigned by a pharmaceutical corporation to go on a mission in Haiti: find a “zombie powder”, identify its ingredients, and bring it to the U.S. for mass production. Supposedly the intentions are good and the zombie powder can be used to help those in need. But I’m not so sure.

Bill Pullman is the white guy that white audiences need to guide them through third world Haiti. Rather predictably, he hooks up with a Haitian woman.
Soon she is sleeping with him, washing his hair, educating him on Haitian culture, and rescuing him from his own recklessness. You see, Pullman is kicking the bee’s nest by running around seeking the powder. The secret police of the ruling dictator repeatedly warn him to buzz off. He doesn’t listen, endangering himself and the Haitian woman several times.

Overall though, this movie is somewhat interesting. Wes Craven holds it steady. After finishing the movie and falling asleep the other night, I woke up a couple of times feeling creeped out by the cackling corpse bride and “hearing” things nearby. The movie captures well the feeling that some dark presence is surrounding you.

It gets goofy at the end and sort of forfeits some of its chilling premises by becoming a hero vs. villain showdown.

SCORE: 6.5 / 10

#23 BLACK CHRISTMAS (1974)

Franchescanado posted:

SUPER SAMHAIN CHALLENGE #8: Happy Holidays!
:ohdearsass: Watch a horror film that you haven't seen that takes place on a holiday that isn't Halloween, All Hallow's Eve, Samhain, (edit) Dia De Los Muertos, etc.

Black Christmas lives up to its name. This movie is darkly shot, slow-moving, and somber at times. It being a decent predecessor to a line-up of slasher mediocrity certainly bolsters it. I found its strongest moments to be your standard POV shots of the killer lurking about.

I also appreciate the ambiguity of the ending. Who the hell is the killer? What was he talking about with Agnes and Billy? Is he some mentally handicapped imbecile? I expected some last-minute backstory to be crammed into the movie but got none of it. This is the rare slasher that leaves many questions unanswered. Fine by me.

The movie is also injected with a surprising amount of comedy, what with the sorority lady storing booze in every spot you can imagine, her covering up the nude photos so a disapproving dad cannot see, and an extended gag about “FELLATIO” being part of a new phone code.

I also chuckled that the exchange “I love you” and “I know” precedes The Empire Strikes Back by six years. Also, “I don’t think you could pick your nose without written instructions” is a good line.

SCORE: 6.9 / 10

T3hRen3gade
Jun 7, 2007

Look in my eye,
what do you see?
You guys piqued my interest and it was on Hulu, so I decided to see if this one was actually an improvement...

#32: Unfriended: Dark Web (2018)

Woah. Talk about night and day. This one is significantly better than the first. I actually liked the characters for starters (it helps that this time around the cast is older and not completely terrible human beings) and the plot is way more interesting. A guy named Matias found an abandoned laptop in the lost-and-found at a cyber cafe and decides to take it home to help develop a program he's making to make communicating with his deaf girlfriend easier. See, right off the bat the story is engaging and introduces our POV character as someone we can actually root for. He starts poking around the hidden files on this laptop while setting up a Skype group game night with his friends, and stumbles into a dark web portal called "The River." He and his horrified friends discover a library of made-to-order snuff films and a ring of mysterious people who pay outrageous sums of money in BitCoin to have them made. The man who originally owned the laptop starts hacking into the system to make contact, and shenanigans ensue.

This delivers on the original gimmick of "entire movie plays out in real-time on the screen of a computer" in ways that the first movie didn't even come close to. Our characters here are smarter, funnier, and far more likeable than than the dumpster fire of teenage trash we got in the first movie. I also really love that this movie features actual scary people as the collective villains, rather than a supernatural entity that haunts computers. It's way more compelling and believable this way. The fact that The Circle is a bunch of tech-savvy hackers makes them the perfect antagonist for a story told in this format.

It does tend to do the thing where much of the "action" isn't clear or altogether completely off-screen, which the first movie was guilty of as well, but at least here its more grounded in reality. The dude who got swatted was an idiot, he should have shouted to the cops that it was okay to break the door down and stay on the floor. Ah, well. Movies!

It's no "Godfather: Part II" but it's definitely an addition to the list of sequel movies that are better than their predecessors. Honestly I'd recommend just watching this one and skipping the first, you aren't missing much.

3.5/5

Watched: Midsommar; One Cut of the Dead; Apostle; Wolf Creek; Lake Mungo; Viy (Challenge #1); Demon Knight; Witchfinder General; Razorback; Joker; A Quiet Place; Spider Baby, or the Maddest Story Ever Told (Challenge #2); Hereditary; The First Purge (Challenge #3); Killer Condom; Road Games; Next of Kin; Zombie aka Zombi 2; Suspiria (1977) (Challenge #4); Phantom of the Paradise; In Her Skin; Behind the Mask: The Rise of Leslie Vernon; Wyrmwood: Road of the Dead; Troll Hunter aka Trollhunter (Challenge #5); The Tunnel; Profondo Rossa aka Deep Red; Body Melt; Suspiria (2018) (Challenge #6); Sadako vs. Kayako (Challenge #7); Black Christmas (Challenge #8); Unfriended (Challenge #9); Unfriended: Dark Web
Total: 32

T3hRen3gade fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Oct 24, 2019

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Anybody planning to watch Lawnmower Man for the cyberspace challenge, make sure you're watching the much longer and better Director's Cut.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

19: Silence of the Lambs

I live in a small city with two theatres, so we don't get a lot of cool stuff. Last year they showed psycho but I managed to be working every day they did, this year though we had a Halloween miracle and they ran this on a night where me and my partner were both free.

What can I say about this that hasn't been said? Or hell, what you don't know? If you're somehow in this challenge without having seen it you need to fix that now. It's one of the best, most important horror films of all time, featuring an absolutely iconic, archetype-creating role from Hopkins as he completely dominates the movie.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Okay can I get a ruling on A Girl Walks Home Alone At Night for the Tourist Trap challenge? It's set in Iran, everyone speaks Persian/Farsi (IMDB says Persian but that sounds wrong?), but was shot in America and writer/director Ana Lily Amirpour is from the UK.

Maxwell Lord fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Oct 24, 2019

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!
:siren:SUPER SAMHAIN CHALLENGE #7: Monster Mash-Up:siren:
:ghost: Watch a horror film that you haven't seen that features two different monsters.
37. Frankenstein Meets the Wolfman (1943)

It’s funny to think now after Universal tried and botched a Dark Universe that the original Universal monsters already were one. Like, this wasn’t simply monster movies coming one after another but crossovers occurred with regularity. Don’t get me wrong, trying to make a Tom Cruise summer popcorn action-horror movie was a bad idea but its not like Universal pulled a shared universe out of their rear end for this one. It’s just a thought after I watched so many of these films.

Frankenstein Meets the Wolfman is the first crossover film they did. It has Lon Chaney and Bela Lugosi as Wolfman and Frankenstein respectively. Lugosi is so out of place as Frankenstein because he just cannot stop doing his Dracula manneurisms and it got distracting after a while. The film itself overall is solid but pales to Bride of Frankenstein in the atmosphere department. The story is about Wolfman needing Dr Frankenstein’s notes to die and be "cured". So he goes to Frankenstein’s village which is still on edge and madness ensues. Overall, a fine watch but James Whale’s direction is sorely missed.

:spooky::spooky::spooky:.5/5

:siren:SUPER SAMHAIN CHALLENGE #8: Happy Holidays!:siren:
:ohdearsass: Watch a horror film that you haven't seen that takes place on a holiday that isn't Halloween, All Hallow's Eve, Samhain, (edit) Dia De Los Muertos, etc.
38. Christmas Evil (1980)

Well, poo poo, I already watched two Christmas horror movies for this challenge (including the original Black Christmas itself). But, that’s the challenges for you and now I have to find something. I love participating because of stuff like this. Yes, it has to be a Christmas horror movie because I really do feel challenged by these events.

Anyways, I wanted to watch Silent Night Deadly Night but its not on streaming. Just because of the circumstances at the moment I needed to find a film on streaming for this challenge. I found this one on Shudder that fits the bill.

This is a notorious video nasty that came out before Silent Night, Deadly Night which is known as the “killer Santa Claus” film. It’s a low-budget exploitation film with a trashy style but an actual sense of story and plot and character. That surprised me a little bit. It’s about a man who is traumatized after seeing his mom bang Santa Claus (insert Charlie Day reference here). He grows up to have an unhealthy obsession with the holiday and being shat upon by friends and colleagues. So he dons a Santa suit and goes on a killer rampage.

Yeah, like I said it’s low budget and the special effects are really laughable. But the film makes up for it by having some effort in its execution.

:spooky::spooky::spooky:/5

Total: 1. One Cut of the Dead (2017), 2. Chopping Mall (1986), 3. All the Creatures Were Stirring (2018), 4. Creepshow 2 (1987), 5. Black Christmas (1974), 6. Dracula (1931), 7. Frankenstein (1931), 8. The Monster Squad (1987), 9. All Hallow’s Eve (2013), 10. The Addams Family (1991), 11. Grizzly (1976), 12. The Mummy (1932), 13. See No Evil (2006), 14. The Invisible Man (1933), 15. Why Horror? (2014), 16. Bad Moon (1996), 17. Head Count (2018), 18. The Bride of Frankenstein (1935), 19. House of 1000 Corpses, 20. The Wolfman (1941), 21. Body Bags (1993). 22. Us (2019), 23. The Craft (1996), 24. Thankskilling (2008), 25. Beetlejuice (1988), 26. Psycho (1960), 27. Gacy (2003), 28. Malevolent (2018), 29, Day of the Animals (1977), 30. Overlord (2018), 31. Train to Busan (2016), 32. Brightburn (2019), 33. Mayhem (2017), 34. 3 From Hell (2019), 35. Scream (1996), 36. The Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2 (1986), 37. Frankenstein Meets the Wolfman (1943), 38. Christmas Evil (1980)

Super Samhain Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Justin Godscock fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Oct 24, 2019

blood_dot_biz
Feb 24, 2013
:spooky:SUPER SAMHAIN CHALLENGE #8: Happy Holidays!:spooky:

#22 The Phantom Carriage (1921)

I'd been meaning to watch this for a few years now, so I'm thankful this challenge came around to give me a good reason. In case it's unclear, I chose this movie since it centers around New Years Eve.

The version I watched was off of archive.org, and had a soundtrack by KTL. When it worked, the soundtrack hit really hard and I was very into it (unsure if it was particular to this soundtrack or not, but the title card theme especially was really great), but for a lot of the movie it was sort of a bit much. Its intensity was kind of exhausting to have hanging over me the entire time, and there were times when what was happening on the screen felt much lighter than the soundtrack implied.

As far as the film itself goes, I thought it was a cool watch. Gorgeous shots with some really neat use of double exposure effects especially. Even the more innocuous scenes felt creepy because of how everything was presented, and I enjoyed the tone. Also, it was a fun surprise to see what was obviously the scene that inspired one of The Shining's more iconic moments.

Watched (22/31): #1 Gozu (2003), #2 Spider Baby or, the Maddest Story Ever Told (1967), #3 Viy (1967), #4 Mondo Cane (1962), #5 Dark Water (2002), #6 Blood and Black Lace (1964), #7 Daughters of Darkness (1971), #8 Sliders of Ghost Town: Origins (2016), #9 One Cut of the Dead (2017), #10 Possum (2018), #11 EGG. (2005), #12 Adventures of Electric Rod Boy (1987), #13 House of 1000 Corpses (2003), #14 Ganja and Hess (1973), #15 Q (1982), #16 Hungry Stones (1960), #17 The Ruins (2008), #18 The Lighthouse (2019), #19 Pulgasari (1985), #20 Halloween (2018), #21 Freddy vs. Jason (2003), #22 The Phantom Carriage (1921)
Challenges (8/9): #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6, #7, #8, #9

Hot Dog Day #89
Mar 17, 2004
[img]https://forumimages.somethingawful.com/images/newbie.gif[/img]

Morbid Hound

Teen Wolf, 1985
And I'm back to seeing movies I never seen before. I would have watched this much earlier in the marathon, but the DVD was broke and I had to ask for a replacement. Yes, I'm using physical media. A) because I like to collect poo poo and B) I don't want to pay for 50 different streaming services to see what I want to see. A DVD is more or less permanent. Anyway, the only link to the horror genre is the werewolf stuff. This is a straight up 80s comedy that just happens to feature them. And when I say 80s comedy, I mean 80s as gently caress. Like peak 80s. So of course I loved teen Wolf. The plot is simple. Michael J. Fox's character is this loser on the school's poo poo basketball team going through changes. Not puberty, but werewolf changes. Turns out lycanthropy is hereditary and his dad is one. Also, that the powers can be used at will, not just during a full moon. He becomes a basketball star and the biggest name in high school, but learns that maybe the fame isn't worth it and he isn't him self. There's no horror stings beside the werewolf stuff, so no killings or anything like that. Still a very fun movie from the most rad decade of pop culture.

Hot Dog Day #89 fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Oct 24, 2019

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Ah, to heck with it. Freaking new global cinema.

26. A Girl Walks Home Alone At Night

I figured this'd be a cinch for Tourist Trap, I'd never seen a Middle Eastern horror film, but alas despite everyone speaking Farsi this was shot in the US of A. (Understandable, mind you.) But anyway it's set in Iran, and is about a vampire girl who naturally keeps to herself and wanders around the desolate streets of Bad City (which I thought was a translation error but I guess that's what it's called), feeding occasionally. She crosses paths with an aimless guy who does odd jobs and deals pills, and they start to fall for each other, bonding over a love of music. Beautifully shot in black and white, this is as much a weird romantic drama as it is a horror film, and like Under the Skin it's very slow and moody. Between that and the thin story it kinda has the feel of a short expanded to feature length, but it's ultimately a fine story. I liked it, didn't love it. Gets bonus points for a very good catte though.

There's an odd pattern developing in this year's list, I've had four films with a "predatory woman" angle. Remains to be seen if this keeps up.

T3hRen3gade
Jun 7, 2007

Look in my eye,
what do you see?
#33: Triangle (2009)

What the hell just happened? :stare:

I really loved this. I'm still trying to process it because it's very much a mindfuck of a movie, but in a fun way. I don't even know how to talk about it without going into major spoilers, so I'll just say this: Jess is a single mother of an autistic child, and it's very clear that raising him alone hasn't been easy. She accepts a friend's invitation to go sailing off the coast of Miami when a nasty storm capsizes their boat. Fortunately, a huge cruise ship sails by and they hop on board, but the entire ship appears to be empty. At this point the movie becomes a seafaring version of "Edge of Tomorrow" or "Groundhog's Day," where Jess starts living through a weird recurring series of events that bends time, with her involvement growing more and more extreme, until she ends up killing the entire cast multiple times in order to "get back to the mainland" so she can pick her kid up from school. This movie is insane, and completely awesome. It's not even fair to say this is a "Groundhog's Day" movie, because events keep happening in sequence while different versions of her are there to change the outcome, and occasionally interact with each other, which is crazy. I'm sure there is a diagram out there somewhere that breaks down how the timelines work out, but I'm not looking it up because I just loved it for what it was and any questions I have are getting hand-waived as "who cares." It's a really fun story and it deserves your full attention.

I don't think this is as good as "Memento" or "Inception," but a lot of this reminds me of the kind of mind-bending fuckery that Christopher Nolan likes to experiment with. It plays with your sense of reality in really cool ways, and I really enjoyed the ride.

4/5

Watched: Midsommar; One Cut of the Dead; Apostle; Wolf Creek; Lake Mungo; Viy (Challenge #1); Demon Knight; Witchfinder General; Razorback; Joker; A Quiet Place; Spider Baby, or the Maddest Story Ever Told (Challenge #2); Hereditary; The First Purge (Challenge #3); Killer Condom; Road Games; Next of Kin; Zombie aka Zombi 2; Suspiria (1977) (Challenge #4); Phantom of the Paradise; In Her Skin; Behind the Mask: The Rise of Leslie Vernon; Wyrmwood: Road of the Dead; Troll Hunter aka Trollhunter (Challenge #5); The Tunnel; Profondo Rossa aka Deep Red; Body Melt; Suspiria (2018) (Challenge #6); Sadako vs. Kayako (Challenge #7); Black Christmas (Challenge #8); Unfriended (Challenge #9); Unfriended: Dark Web; Triangle
Total: 33

T3hRen3gade fucked around with this message at 09:12 on Oct 24, 2019

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

39 (51). Halloween: Resurrection (2002)
Watched on DVD, available on Fubo and the Showtime Amazon channel but not Showtime main.

Laurie thought she had killed Micheal at the end of the last film but it turns out she killed a paramedic he switched places with and ended up in a mental asylum over it. Micheal and her get together and work that stuff out. Meanwhile someone’s gotten the bright idea to run a live internet reality show from the Myers House on Halloween night and end up getting more than they bargained for as a captive audience watches online.

Ok, the good. This FEELS and SOUNDS more like a Halloween movie. They brought back Rick Rosenthal who directed Halloween II and he in turn brought back a lot of the feel of franchise that had gone mossing in H20 and Curse of Micheal Myers (although from the sounds of it the Producer’s Cut fixes that aspect of it). The score is more appropriate mixing the classic sounds with some updates and tweaks. It looks dark and autumny. Micheal lurks around in shadows and around corners and is once again “The Shape.” This just FEELS more appropriate for a Halloween sequel.

Also while I have conflicting feelings about the way they treated Jamie Lee Curtis and the Laurie Strode character I actually really loved that opening scene. To recap, Curtis came back for H20 but wanted to end the story there but the producers didn’t. So they dicked around and tried to dupe by writing a fake out, she got pissed and nearly walked, and they ended up compromising with an ending to H20 that felt final but they filmed a retcon/swerve at the time with the agreement that it wouldn’t be used until Resurrection. Weird compromise but if Curtis could live with it, fair enough. The end result is that opening scene (and the “end” of Laurie Strode… for the time) that really plays great to me. Laurie is a bad rear end, it all works for me, and if that was actually the end of Laurie’s story and a move to Micheal just killing other people just because then you could have done a lot worse.

That said, its not a good movie. It’s not the worst thing I’ve seen or anything. I’m not gonna sit here and talk about bad cult ideas or really terrible stuff. Its just a super generic slasher with random characters and Busta Rhymes. There’s nothing that makes it a Halloween movie. No Laurie, Loomis, Jamie, or even Paul Rudd. And nothing terribly interesting or noteworthy new. Its just Micheal killing some people because they didn’t knock before coming into his house. If this were Jason that probably wouldn’t be weird, but Halloween movies usually have more to them. I don’t even have anything to say here. I didn’t hate it, I didn’t love it, I just didn’t care past the opening scene.

Resurrection probably isn’t the worst film of the sequels but its the one that is the least worth seeing. Still, that opener was cool and probably would have been required if they hadn’t gone and retconned the franchise a second time. Or third? I don’t know, who can keep track?

Franchescanado posted:

Thanks to FancyMike for designing this torture device

:ohdearsass: Watch a horror film that you haven't seen that takes place on a holiday that isn't Halloween, All Hallow's Eve, Samhain, etc.

I was gonna pick one of the many Christmas horrors I’ve never seen but there’s so many of them that I’m leaning towards doing a 12 Days of Horror thing in December now that I’m addicted to unnecessarily set up lists for my movie watching. So instead of just picking one holiday movie I decided to just hit them all.

40 (52). Holidays (2016)
Available on Netflix.

An anthology of short horror stories based on different holidays created by a series of directors who count films like Dracula Untold, At The Devil’s Door, and Legion amongst their biggest successes. Also Kevin Smith.

I love a good anthology because you can get a bunch of ideas that maybe weren’t good enough to be fleshed out into a full film or creators who maybe don’t have the skill yet to full form a good idea into a full story. To me the sweet spot for that is 3 or 4 segments. That gives you 20-40 minutes which feels like the right amount of time to tell a story where if it doesn’t work it doesn’t wear out its welcome and if its good it has enough time to sink in. This one has 8 segments in 105 minutes. I think anthologies like that usually just tend to be half baked ideas and gags. And weirdly a lot of those are TWO long at 10 or 15 minutes because really its just like a 30 second-5 minute gag.

That’s definitely the case with most of these segments. There’s a few little decent gags or just really hosed up ideas. There’s this great moment in the Valentine’s Day segment where the bully goes too far and immediately gives this “oh, I hosed up” face to the damaged girl with a boxcutter sure to murder her in a horror film. The St Patrick’s Day segment is really weird and just so matter of fact about how weird it is that its really kind of bizarrely fun. The Easter one is… hosed. Nicolas McCarthy is the only of these directors who has a movie on my list and I’m not sure if knowing he came up with an Easter Bunny/Christ figure that oozes chicks out of his crucifixion wounds and preys on children in a creepy way makes me more inclined to watch his movies or less. Mother’s Day is half an idea that’s unnerving but not meaty enough to do anything. Christmas is whatever. New Year’s Eve was kind of a worn tread idea but a decent one. Kevin Smith did the Halloween one and it was ok, and once again stared his daughter who does a perfectly fine job.

The one standout piece is Father’s Day. It keeps a very simple story, it plays it completely straight, and builds up a poo poo load of tension in a short amount of time. The sole player on screen is Jocelin Donahue who was the star of The House of the Devil and just as she did in that film she does a great job conveying a ton of emotion and fear in a minimalist role. The only other player is the voice of Micheal Gross as her dad, which really works since I’m of the right age that he was like my tv dad on Family Ties. The director was Anthony Scott Burns and he’s now on my radar. He’s got one film out there called Our House that has mediocre reviews but is on Showtime so its on my list now. He did good work in a very short piece with a very simple idea, so who knows if he can do more but I’m curious.

All in all its not really good but I’ve seen a lot worse. The worst of the segments are basically there to be hosed up gags that definitely make an impression, there’s a few mediocre pieces but none of them overstay their welcome, and Father’s Day is actually good. I wouldn’t go out of my way to see it but if you’re looking for an anthology you could do worse.

September Pre-Game Tally - New (Total)
1. NOS4A2 (2019); - (2). Splice (2009); - (3). Drive Angry (2011); 2 (4). The Twilight Zone (2019); - (5). Event Horizon (1997); - (6). BrainDead (2016); 3 (7). The Dark Tower (2017); 4 (8). The Collector (2009); 5 (9). The Bad Batch (2016); - (10). Rose Red (2002); - (11). Salem’s Lot (1979)
October Tally - New (Total)
1. The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari (1920); 2. Nightmare Cinema (2018); 3. Dead of Night (1945); The Queen of Spades (1949); 5. Tragedy Girls (2017); 6. House of Wax (1953); SUPER SAMHAIN CHALLENGE #1: The Best Month: 7. The Autopsy of Jane Doe (2016); 8. In the Tall Grass (2019); 9. The Night of the Hunter (1955); 10. The Thing (1951); - (11). The Thing (1982); 11 (12). The Thing (2011); - (13). Halloween (1978); 12 (14). Dracula (1931); SUPER SAMHAIN CHALLENGE #2: Dead & Buried: 13 (15). Q (1982); 14 (16). The Black Cat (1934); 15 (17). The Unknown (1927); - (18). Halloween II (1981); 16 (19). The Seventh Victim (1943); 17 (20). The Beast With Five Fingers (1946); 18 (21). The Hunchback of Notre Dame (1923); 19 (22). The Curse of the Cat People (1944); - (23). George A. Romero's Land of the Dead (2005); SUPER SAMHAIN CHALLENGE #3: Horror Noire: 20 (24). Ganja & Hess (1973); 21 (25). Drácula (1931); 22 (26). Universal Horror (1998); - (27). Happy Death Day (2017); 23 (28). The Phantom of the Opera (1925); - (29). Halloween III: Season of the Witch (1982); SUPER SAMHAIN CHALLENGE #4: Inktober: 24 (30). Velvet Buzzsaw (2018); - (31). Frankenstein (1931); 25 (32). The Mummy (1932); 26 (33). The Raven (1935); - (34). Halloween 4: The Return of Michael Myers (1988); 27 (35). The Man Who Laughs (1928); 28 (36). The Invisible Man (1933); - (37). Halloween 5: The Revenge of Michael Myers (1989); 29 (38). The Black Castle (1952); 30 (39). Faust (1926); - (40). Halloween: The Curse of Micheal Myers (1995); - (41). The Bride of Frankenstein (1935); 31 (42). Dracula’s Daughter (1936); SUPER SAMHAIN CHALLENGE #5: Tourist Trap: 32 (43). The Golem (2019); SUPER SAMHAIN CHALLENGE #6: Sometimes They Come Back: 33 (44). Nightmare on Elm Street (2010); 34 (45). Happy Death Day 2U (2019); 35 (46). The Phantom Carriage (1921); 36 (47). The Invisible Man Returns (1940); SUPER SAMHAIN CHALLENGE #7: Monster Mash-up: 37 (48). Blood Fest (2018); - (49). Halloween H20: 20 Years Later (1998); 38 (50). The Wolf Man (1941); 39 (51). Halloween: Resurrection (2002); SUPER SAMHAIN CHALLENGE #8: Happy Holidays!: 40 (52). Holidays (2016);

BioTech
Feb 5, 2007
...drinking myself to sleep again...

#26. Krampus
:spooky::spooky::spooky:SUPER SAMHAIN CHALLENGE #8: Happy Holidays!:spooky::spooky::spooky:

This was a ton of fun. The characters start of unlikable, but they slowly win you over and in the end I was rooting for them. Story drags a tiny bit in the middle, but I absolutely loved the creature design. Shout out to the grotesque Jack-in-the-Box, whose body reminded me of Earthworm Jim's Queen Slug-For-A-Butt.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Franchescanado posted:

SUPER SAMHAIN CHALLENGE #7: Monster Mash-up
:ghost: Watch a horror film that you haven't seen that features two different monsters.

32) Abbott and Costello meet Frankenstein 1948

No they don't. :colbert:
They call the monster "Frankie" at one point, but for the most part the monster is just referred to as 'the monster'. They also meet Dracula, the Wolfman and the Invisible Man (Vincent Price cameo)

I'm not familiar with Abbot and Costello so I'm not sure how the humour compares to their typical work. I found it fairly funny, especially the first act which had more comic banter than the rest of the film.

Lon Chaney Jr is the best part of this film because he plays the Wolfman completely straight as if it's a real horror film.
I didn't realise before that this is only the second (and the last) time Lugosi played Dracula.

It's an in interesting film with a cast of legends and worth a look

Franchescanado posted:

33) Krampus 2015

It felt a little incongruous watching this in October as it's very much a Christmas movie. One that I will get my family to see when they're over for the holidays as it's a really good, old fashioned scary festive film.
It's quite a large group of characters but they all get enough to do and the jerk side of the family develop into likeable people in an organic way. Aunt Dorothy is a funny character. The main kid actor is good.
I liked the monster designs especially Krampus himsself. The puppets were all great. The CG gingermen were eh... a little cartoony but fine.

I don't know why I never got around to seeing this before now.

CHALLENGE COMPLETED: 33/31 films I haven't seen before.
1) Brain Damage 1988; 2) Onibaba 1964; 3) Slugs 1988; 4) The Tingler 1959; 5) Pieces 1982; 6) Canibal Ferox 1981; 7) Eyes without a Face 1960; 8) Train to Busan 2016; 9) Creepshow 2 1987; 10) Anaconda 1997; 11) Samhain#1 Son of Frankenstein 1939; 12) Happy Death Day 2017; 13) Species 1995; 14) Insidious 2010; 15) Chopping Mall 1986; 16) One Cut of the Dead 2017; 17) Samhain#2 House of 1000 Corpses 2003; 18) Samhain#3 Horror Noire 2019; 19) Shivers 1975; 20) Lair of the White Worm 1988; 21) Black Sunday 1960; 22) Monster House 2006; 23) Inseminoid 1981; 24) It Comes at Night 2017; 25) Samhain#4 The Fog 1980; 26) Jason X 2001; 27) Samhain#5 Troll Hunter 2010; 28) Samhain#6 Phantasm 3 1994; 29) Phantasm 4 1998; 30) Phantasm 5 2016; 31)The Bird with the Crystal Plumage 1970; 32) Samhain#7 Abbott and Costello meet Frankenstein 1948; 33) Samhain#8 Krampus 2015

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Maxwell Lord posted:

Ah, to heck with it. Freaking new global cinema.

26. A Girl Walks Home Alone At Night

I figured this'd be a cinch for Tourist Trap, I'd never seen a Middle Eastern horror film, but alas despite everyone speaking Farsi this was shot in the US of A. (Understandable, mind you.) But anyway it's set in Iran, and is about a vampire girl who naturally keeps to herself and wanders around the desolate streets of Bad City (which I thought was a translation error but I guess that's what it's called), feeding occasionally. She crosses paths with an aimless guy who does odd jobs and deals pills, and they start to fall for each other, bonding over a love of music. Beautifully shot in black and white, this is as much a weird romantic drama as it is a horror film, and like Under the Skin it's very slow and moody. Between that and the thin story it kinda has the feel of a short expanded to feature length, but it's ultimately a fine story. I liked it, didn't love it. Gets bonus points for a very good catte though.

There's an odd pattern developing in this year's list, I've had four films with a "predatory woman" angle. Remains to be seen if this keeps up.

Sorry I didn't get to respond to this last night, but, as you realized with it being filmed in California, it doesn't count. :(

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

COOL CORN posted:

:siren: SUPER SAMHAIN CHALLENGE #6: Sometimes They Come Back :siren:

#27) The Town That Dreaded Sundown (2014)

This was an interesting remake. The coolest thing, to me, was that in the world of this film, the original film not only exists, but the original is a retelling of a true story. So, in this movie, you have a killer who is recreating murders from a 30-year old movie, which is itself portraying murders from years before that. As a producer, this is gold - you start out your budget-friendly bottom-tier horror movie with a pedigree and universe already built in to it. That was clever. And on top of that, I was pretty surprised how much I liked it. For what it was (a modern low-budget slasher), it had a good amount of whodunnit, and not too many jump scares.

:spooky: 3/5

Challenges completed: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Challenges not completed: 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

If you didn’t know, the original really is based on a real unsolved series of murders

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Texarkana_Moonlight_Murders

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

#53: The Town That Dreaded Sundown
rewatch

Cool Corn's review of the remake reminded me about this movie. I saw it a few years back and really liked it. It's on Youtube, so I figured I'd give it a rewatch. As I was doing that, I realized that it felt very similar to a movie I watched more recently, one of my all time favorites, The Legend of Boggy Creek. And lo and behold, they're both by the same dude! Charles B Pierce is pretty good, apparently.

It's weird to call a movie about a serial killer "cozy", right? Especially a movie based on a true story of a serial killer who was never caught? But that's what The Town That Dreaded Sundown is, cozy. It's a little view of post war small town America. with a serial killer in it.

The voiceover, natural acting, and spare use of background music give the movie a very strong documentary feel. Which is enhanced by the way the movie doesn't try for a consistent tone. The attack scenes are brutal and terrifying, and the long sequence about the cops failed attempt to catch the killer by crossdressing is goofy and weird. But they both feel like things that happened in this small town.

The Town That Dreaded Sundown was obviously very influential to the slasher genre. The look of the killer would be straight up lifted for Jason Voorhes in Friday the 13th Part 2. The victim in the most dramatic attack scene is named Peggy Loomis.

And about that attack scene Peggy Loomis is beaten to death by the slide on a trombone. It's weird. I don't think it was supposed to be comic, I think it was supposed to be chilling, that the killer was being so bizarrely playful. But I was just thinking, wouldn't the slide bend?

I have a couple complaints, and it's the weird tromboning and that some of the cop comedy is turned up a little too much. There's a couple bits with the inept cops that go slightly too far into comedy and strain the believability for me.

I'd say it's a slightly weaker film that The Legend of Boggy Creek. But hell, The Legend of Boggy Creek is so fantastic that's barely even a negative statement.

The Town That Dreaded Sundown is a great proto-slasher, a charming look at a specific place and time in American history, and it has plenty of Keystone Cop laughs. I strongly recommend it.

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

37. Aenigma (1988)
Dir: Lucio Fulci

(Amazon Prime)

All you vaporwave freaks have a new horror movie to sample. As you'd expect from a Fulci movie, the score absolutely tears with vintage 80's synth and guitars. This is better and way weirder than being a late-career Fulci would have me believe. Definitely not his best work, but this is a thoroughly entertaining film. Ostensibly it's a ripoff of Carrie and Phenomena, but it adds a lot of it's own weird wrinkles If you want to see a painting bleed on someone or a legion of snails attack someone, you'll find a lot to love here. The film also reveals that it's set in a dystopian cyberpunk future for no reason, complete with a riff on Vangelis?

Watched: 1. Candyman 2. The Wailing 3. Spookies 4. One Cut of the Dead 5. Viy 6. The Driller Killer 7. Tammy and the T-Rex 8. Friday the 13th Pt VI: Jason Lives 9. Scary Movie 10. Ice Cream Man 11. Freaks 12.The Hills Have Eyes 13. Spider Baby 14. Lady Terminator 15. All The Colors of the Dark 16.Tales From The Hood 17. Man Bites Dog 18. Prime Evil 19. Bride of Re-Animator 20. The Phantom Carriage 21. Thinner 22. Robot Monster 23. Color Me Blood Red 24. A Bay of Blood 25. Errementari: The Devil and the Blacksmith 26. The Lighthouse 27. TerrorVision 28. Phantom of the Opera (1925) 29. Stay Alive 30. Hobgoblins 31. Knife + Heart 32. Rats: Night of Terror 33. Dog Soldiers 34. A Nightmare on Elm Street (2010) 35. Neon Maniacs 36. Hagazussa 37. Aenigma

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Halloween: H20

My opinion of H2O has gone down over the years. At first it seemed like a solid return to the franchise for Jamie Lee and a natural fit with the kind of post-Scream horror that was being made at the time. And I suppose those things are still true, but overall the movie just hasn't held up.

Other posters have mentioned it, but H2O just doesn't feel very much like a Halloween film. It would be very easy to lift Michael and Laurie out of the movie, replace them with Ghostface and Sid, and you'd have a Scream sequel. It feels like the kind of story Williamson would've wanted to write for a middle-aged Sid with a teenage son who has taken a job at this private school. But more than any other iconic slasher, Halloween is about the season. And H2O does not make me feel like it's Halloween season when I watch it. Think of all the time and effort Carpenter put into blowing leaves around a California neighborhood to achieve that effect in the original. H2O does not do much of anything to honor that effort.

The cast is ok but really nothing special. LL Cool J is not given much to work with, I've seen him shine in other films(Deep Blue Sea) but not here. Josh Hartnett is a blah, not terrible but not memorable either. So really it's all down to Jamie Lee vs. Michael, and yea some of that delivers. There are some good moments there. But that's it, a few moments.

Halloween: Resurrection

My opinion of Resurrection actually has gone the opposite direction, albeit not by very much. It's bad. No getting around that. This is not a well made movie on really any level, but it has a few truly bizarre aspects that at least make it interesting and I have to admit I had a bit more fun watching this than I did H2O.

First of course, is Busta Rhymes. He's just a random element thrown into the mix here and at least he does succeed in doing just that, he does mix it up. I mean, if someone asks "which one is Resurrection again?" all you have to do is say "the one with Busta Rhymes". When the movie is over you'll remember that Busta Rhymes was in it, trust me.

Secondly, the live streaming aspect of the story is actually quite fun to see in 2019, and it was interesting to watch the various ways that was portrayed and used to give the usual Halloween formula a new twist. So while I'd never actually recommend that anyone go out of their way to see Halloween: Resurrection, you could do worse if only because many slasher sequels are by the numbers affairs and this one definitely isn't.

Watched: 1. Child's Play(1988) 2. Child's Play(2019) 3. VHS: Viral 4. Tales From the Crypt 5. (SAMHAIN CHALLENGE #1)Viy 6. House of Frankenstein 7. Van Helsing 8. The Shining 9. Salem's Lot 10. Poltergeist 2: The Other Side 11. Pumpkinhead 2: Blood Wings 12. The Ravenous 13. Alucarda 14. Horror of Dracula 15. Dracula: Prince of Darkness 16. Midsommar 17. Candyman 18. Hellraiser 19. An American Werewolf in London 20. Bad Moon 21. Prince of Darkness 22. The Fog 23. (SAMHAIN CHALLENGE #2)House of 1000 Corpses 24. The Devil's Rejects 25. 3 From Hell 26. (SAMHAIN CHALLENGE #4)Crawl 27. (SAMHAIN CHALLENGE# 3) Ganja & Hess 28. Aenigma 29. City of the Living Dead 30. Halloween 31. Halloween II 32. Halloween III 33. Halloween 4: The Return of Michael Myers 34. Halloween 5: The Revenge of Michael Myers 35. (SAMHAIN CHALLENGE #6)Halloween 6: The Curse of Michael Myers(Producer's Cut) 36. Halloween: H2O 37. Halloween: Resurrection

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

102) Friday the 13th Part VIII: Jason Takes Manhattan - 1989 - DVD

I still remember the trailers for this one. Just the title alone filled our minds with Jason in New York, killing among the landmarks, and standing up to shootouts with NYPD confused that he won't go down.

What we got...whelp.

I was disappointed when I saw this at the show. The bulk of the movie's on a boat heading to New York with the last bits happening in the city. The younger me was okay with the toxic waste in the sewers oddly enough. I'd sat through enough Troma and Henlotter films so I felt I knew all about New York and toxic waste flushing make perfect sense.

From interviews with the director, they had planned to film more in New York, but budgeting and scheduling problems ended up in what we got.

Like the previous film, watch it if you're a completionist, otherwise it's skippable.

103) Jason Goes to Hell: The Final Friday - 1993 - DVD

After the last film, this one promising to be the last Friday the 13th film was something we were okay with. Once we saw the first few minutes being something we'd all speculated on at one time or another, we figured they were going to go all out for the last movie. They definitely did, for both good and bad. We're given a Jason Hunter who while is okay for a character, really would've been better if it was Tommy. And now there's some requirement that it has to be a member of the Voorhees family with a magic dagger to truly kill off Jason. At one point we even see the Necronomicon Ex-Mortis on a table which is where the fan speculation on Jason is a Deadite comes from. At this point I think most of us were ambivalent until That Ending.

There was no way they were going to just end things like that. Speculation was high and we were curious to see where it went from here. Like the other novelizations, the one for this goes into more detail such as explaining how Jason got from the New York sewers to here.

Overall, this one is okay enough even with the continuity errors.

Franchescanado posted:

SUPER SAMHAIN CHALLENGE #9: Hackers
:awesomelon: Watch a horror movie you haven't seen adaptated from a video game

104) It Came from the Desert - 2017 - TubiTV

Here's another challenge that's had me sweating since I've sat through plenty of video game movies that weren't anime, and I wasn't looking forward to sitting through anime. This one was listed on Wikipedia and I've had it sitting on my watchlist for a while. It's based on a game from 1989.

How the hell have I not heard of this game before? It sounds completely like my sorta thing.

As far as the movie goes, it's a beautiful send up of 50s era B movie cheese.

It has it all, drunk people partying in the desert, an abandoned lab complex, scientists tampering with things they shouldn't, a healthy dose of tongue in cheek humor, and giant ants chugging booze running amok.

I LOVE THIS MOVIE!

Russian Guyovitch
Apr 22, 2008

Some little mice sat in the barn to spin. Pussy came by and popped her head in. What are you doing my little men?

Gripweed posted:

And about that attack scene Peggy Loomis is beaten to death by the slide on a trombone. It's weird. I don't think it was supposed to be comic, I think it was supposed to be chilling, that the killer was being so bizarrely playful. But I was just thinking, wouldn't the slide bend?

It’s been a while since I’ve seen this one, but if I remember correctly, he ties his knife to the end of the slide and stabs her repeatedly, which is both more and less ridiculous at the same time.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Russian Guyovitch posted:

It’s been a while since I’ve seen this one, but if I remember correctly, he ties his knife to the end of the slide and stabs her repeatedly, which is both more and less ridiculous at the same time.

Nope. Pretty sure he’s just pummeling her with the slide.

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc

25. Street Trash - Shudder - Joe Bob Briggs

Tainted booze causes no end of trouble in mid-80s skid row.

I want to like this movie more, but the fun sleaze and hilarious gore is undercut by some just plain awful rape scenes. Mainly, a woman is raped to death by scores of screaming homeless people and then her corpse is raped by another douchebag (played for laughs).

The gore and gross gags and cinematography are pretty fun, but so much of the film is mean-spirited. It's also way too long, so the mean scenes feel like a double insult because if they were gone, you'd have a tight little gross out thriller. It's an exploitation curiosity but make sure you're okay with the unfun awfulness so it doesn't ruin the fabulously weird and goofy thriller elements.

And maybe you'll say that part of what makes a trash exploitation film work IS the willingness to completely abandon all semblance of societal goodness and just depict the seedy underbelly of the world. I'm open to that argument, I can only say that for me personally, for this specific film, the whole did not cohere well enough to totally redeem the sexual violence or cruel depictions of the homeless. It was a fun watch but I probably wouldn't do it again. As with all genre horror, your mileage may vary in either direction of course.

3 out of 5 exploding fat men

Russian Guyovitch
Apr 22, 2008

Some little mice sat in the barn to spin. Pussy came by and popped her head in. What are you doing my little men?

Franchescanado posted:

Nope. Pretty sure he’s just pummeling her with the slide.

He's definitely got a knife on there. If you check out the version on youtube, he starts tying it to the slide around 50:30. I'd link but I'm guessing that counts as :filez:

graventy
Jul 28, 2006

Fun Shoe

He's definitely got a knife on there. If you check out the version on youtube, he starts tying it to the slide around 50:30. I'd link but I'm guessing that counts as :filez:

Yeah, I was pretty sure there was a knife too. He tapes one on, though maybe it's not that visible in the actual attack. That scene could only be made weirder if he was playing the trombone as he stabbed.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

YouTube links don't count as :filez:. Sharing torrents or download links is file sharing.

graventy posted:

Yeah, I was pretty sure there was a knife too. He tapes one on, though maybe it's not that visible in the actual attack. That scene could only be made weirder if he was playing the trombone as he stabbed.

Huh. My bad, then. I don't remember how I watched The Town That Dreaded Sundown, so the resolution may have been too dark for me to notice the knife, and I haven't watched it in a few years.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
The YouTube version is Probably ripped from a TV edit. I know The Town that Dreaded Sundown was on Comet a few months back, and I don't remember seeing the knife in that edit.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Franchescanado posted:

Huh. My bad, then. I don't remember how I watched The Town That Dreaded Sundown, so the resolution may have been too dark for me to notice the knife, and I haven't watched it in a few years.

If I remember correctly, it's one of those situations where you only get a quick shot of him taping the knife on there, and then of course they didn't want to show actual knife entering flesh so it's just implied from there. But if you happen to look away from the screen for the 5 seconds that show the knife, you could miss it.

smitster
Apr 9, 2004

Oven Wrangler
SUPER SAMHAIN CHALLENGE #6 - Sometimes They Come Back
34. Hatchet II (2010) - New To Me #16

It has been many years since seeing Hatchet, and I remember it kinda bouncing off of me. Since then, though, I’ve become much more familiar with the slasher genre and various classics that had clearly influenced Hatchet, so for this sequel challenge I thought I should revisit Victor Crowley. I don’t remember much about the plot of the first, but this sequel picks up right after the first, and we get to see Victor’s backstory amid all the hacking and pulling and slicing as Marybeth seeks help with her Crowley problem. A superteam is assembled to hunt him down, led by Tony Todd reprising his role as a charismatic huckster tour guide. They… don’t fare well. Fun violence and action, good practical effects, dumb decisions made by enough people. It is definitely “old-school”, but it didn’t stand out as a great slasher or anything.

Movies So Far - 34:
Rewatches: 10 - Deep Red, One Cut Of The Dead, The Endless, Train To Busan, TCM 2, Zombi 2, Halloween 3, The Witch, Jason X, Piranha
New To Me: 16 - Dolls, Borderlands, Child’s Play (2019), Memory: Origins Of Alien, Who Can Kill A Child?, The Seventh Curse, Dr. Jeckyll & Mr. Hyde, Hell House LLC 2, The Red Queen Kills Seven Times, Bones, Hobo With A Shotgun, Without Name, The Doll, The Hitch-Hiker, Hatchet 2
Finally Watching Owned Movies: 8 - Werewolf Of London, She-Wolf Of London, Isle Of The Snake People, Creature From The Black Lagoon, Revenge Of The Creature, Paranormal Activity, Eyes Without A Face, Phantom Of The Opera

graventy
Jul 28, 2006

Fun Shoe
27. Rabies 2010

A bunch of people in a forest all treat each other horribly. It was a bleak miserable watch, but not as miserable as that last guy's marriage! Haha wives are awful nags.
:spooky:.5/5

SUPER SAMHAIN CHALLENGE #7: Monster Mash-up
I mean there's like a ghost, and a scarecrow, and a creepy fat lady, and more! If you don't think this counts though let me know.
28. Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark

Kids find a book of stories in a haunted house. New scary stories start to get written, featuring them! It becomes a race to figure out how to stop whoever is behind the book.
The actual scary stories, and the character designs are great! The overarching plot is kind of a boring scooby doo style mystery that drags the whole thing down a bit and leaves you impatient for the next spook'em up to begin. The movie might have benefited from another kid or two, so that they could speed up the whole process a little.
:spooky::spooky::spooky:.5/5

(rewatch) Night of the Demons

On the big screen!
This movie is just an entertaining joyride, though the initial bits of completely unnecessary nudity got me some side-eye from the friends I went with. They were quickly won over by the absolute weirdness of *that* scene, and enjoyed the show. It’s a pretty diverse cast, for the time, and the movie does a good job of establishing why each of them sucks, before it starts killing them off. Most of them, anyway. It could use a little less misogyny but Stooge is a pig, so…
:spooky::spooky::spooky::spooky::spooky:/5

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Halloween(2009)

Love hurts
Love scars
Love wounds and marks
Any heart not tough or strong enough
To take a lot of pain, take a lot of pain
Love is like a cloud, it holds a lot of rain
Love hurts

The nerve of Rob Zombie. He took one of the most divisive aspects of the Halloween sequels, Laurie's retconned relationship to Michael, and made it the core of his pair of remakes. There was certainly backlash. Some didn't want to see a version of Michael with a fully fleshed out backstory. If Rob Zombie heard those criticisms, he certainly didn't give a poo poo because the sequel to this film is a big middle finger to all that. When you get right down to it though, Michael's behavior is still relatively unexplained, unless you are willing to dig a bit deeper. He has a poo poo home life, ok. His stepfather is an rear end in a top hat, his sister doesn't treat him much better, and his mother has to work a job that she hates in order to support them. In the time that we observe them as a family, there doesn't seem to be a whole lot of love there.

But looks can be deceiving, and there is love in Michael's life. His mother clearly loves him and has no problem expressing it. Even in the midst of committing the murders, Michael himself shows that he is capable of love. Unlike Carpenter's version, this Michael clearly loves and feels protective of his baby sister. And that love is what gets twisted up inside him as the years go by in the institution, as his doctor and mother abandon him and he has no place left to put it. It festers until it is unrecognizable as love, but that's what it is. And love hurts.

When he escapes the only real instinct he has is to seek out his sister, because it's the last thread of that love he can still cling to. But the real payoff to all of this came in the sequel, two years later.

Halloween II(2009)

Family is Forever

They put it right there in the tag line, really this movie is about a family reuniting. Maybe it can only happen in the afterlife. Maybe even only in their demented minds. But it's the thing Michael has been after all these years. When can I come home and we can be together as a family again? His mother could never give him the answer he wanted in life, and so he will make it happen now even if it means death.

If you watch Michael in this film, you could interpret his actions as a brother coming to rescue his sister away from a life of psychological distress and turmoil. In the end it would be hard for any normal person to say that he's helped her, but hey, love hurts.

This is what a remake/reboot should be because it takes the basic template of what was done before and puts an entirely new spin on it. Maybe you don't like the specific choices Zombie made but I think you have to respect it if you're going to also turn around and say that stuff like the NOES or the Martyrs remakes were unnecessary garbage. Zombie was not satisfied to do the same thing that others had done, and that's why these movies stand out and why I believe they will only become more admired as the years go on.

Watched: 1. Child's Play(1988) 2. Child's Play(2019) 3. VHS: Viral 4. Tales From the Crypt 5. (SAMHAIN CHALLENGE #1)Viy 6. House of Frankenstein 7. Van Helsing 8. The Shining 9. Salem's Lot 10. Poltergeist 2: The Other Side 11. Pumpkinhead 2: Blood Wings 12. The Ravenous 13. Alucarda 14. Horror of Dracula 15. Dracula: Prince of Darkness 16. Midsommar 17. Candyman 18. Hellraiser 19. An American Werewolf in London 20. Bad Moon 21. Prince of Darkness 22. The Fog 23. (SAMHAIN CHALLENGE #2)House of 1000 Corpses 24. The Devil's Rejects 25. 3 From Hell 26. (SAMHAIN CHALLENGE #4)Crawl 27. (SAMHAIN CHALLENGE# 3) Ganja & Hess 28. Aenigma 29. City of the Living Dead 30. Halloween 31. Halloween II 32. Halloween III 33. Halloween 4: The Return of Michael Myers 34. Halloween 5: The Revenge of Michael Myers 35. (SAMHAIN CHALLENGE #6)Halloween 6: The Curse of Michael Myers(Producer's Cut) 36. Halloween: H2O 37. Halloween: Resurrection 38. Halloween(2007) 39. Halloween II(2009)