Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I saw the movie with my grandpa. It's not very good, but my uncle (his oldest son) died of AIDS when I was like 10 and it sparked a great conversation about him, so I'll always be thankful for that.

Edit: Hell of a snipe, I'm referring to the movie Rent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av

Come And See posted:

So Rent is Megg Mogg and Owl the musical?

Yes but without the humor

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

We're supposed to root for a character who murdered a dog

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug
I'm exempt from seeing Rent because I've seen La Boheme. Bunch of middle class kids pretending to be poor and artistic, right?

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

gleebster posted:

I'm exempt from seeing Rent because I've seen La Boheme. Bunch of middle class kids pretending to be poor and artistic, right?

Thats about the size of it. Also any form of gainful employment is selling out and you should throw all consequences to the wind and live in the moment no matter how stupid it is.

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

I haven't seen Rent, but I like the Lindsay Ellis video about how stupid and awful all the characters in Rent are

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

gleebster posted:

I think only one was actually middle class? He was slumming it and bitching about how his parents would call just to say supportive things about his lifestyle.

He actually ended up with a job that could have paid their rent but quit because being unemployed and squatting is the better way to live.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
The only thing I know about about Rent is one song mentions huevos rancheros and it instantly makes me hungry for eggs and refried beans every single time.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Veib posted:

I haven't seen Rent, but I like the Lindsay Ellis video about how stupid and awful all the characters in Rent are
That video is basically all I really know about Rent (aside from the song from Team America) and I feel good in my desire to not learn more about it.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
My brain tells me " Yeah, We've seen Rent" but for the life of me, I cannot recall anything of it, nor the circumstances in which I would have seen it.

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

Bringing the forums together with the greatest thread!

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
also it's a straight dude plagiarizing a lesbian's memoirs

the whole "in memory of" whoever is a fakeout to make you think the writer (thief) died of aids and that anything in the play was at all related to his life, it was an unrelated genetic disorder

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Thank you for this, my new favorite comic

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

Bringing the forums together with the greatest thread!
I am sorry to derail the thread by posting comics in it but you are welcome friend, i's one of my favorites too

Actually that whole series is pretty good:

E: I am not allowed to leech images apparently??

Here it is anyway: http://www.harkavagrant.com/history/javertsm.png

Covski has a new favorite as of 15:03 on Oct 23, 2019

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Covski posted:

I am sorry to derail the thread by posting comics in it but you are welcome friend, i's one of my favorites too

Actually that whole series is pretty good:

E: I am not allowed to leech images apparently??

Here it is anyway: http://www.harkavagrant.com/history/javertsm.png

Weird link. I had to post it on discord and then put it through imgur to get it to work.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I feel I'd appreciate these more if I knew anything about Les Mis other than the references in that one episode of DS9 where the traitor security chief was obsessed with it, and Sisko poisoned an entire planet because he doesn't gently caress around.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Sunswipe posted:

I feel I'd appreciate these more if I knew anything about Les Mis other than the references in that one episode of DS9 where the traitor security chief was obsessed with it, and Sisko poisoned an entire planet because he doesn't gently caress around.

The '90s movie with Liam Neeson and Geoffrey Rush is solid and worth checking out, it's a good story.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Do they sing? 'Cos I just don't really like musicals.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
No that's a straight adaptation of the book (for what it's worth I don't like musicals either but I like the story enough to tolerate those versions too)

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Oh, cool, I'll have to check it out.

And before anyone says anything, I'm not disparaging musicals, they're just not my "thing." Please continue to enjoy them, just don't ask me to come with you. :)

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

You could also just read the book, they don't sing in that.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
I also like the book but it's a pretty drat long one to recommend unless you know someone really likes reading old books.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

It's missing a panel between 3 and 4 where they call the son to ask him how to change their netflix password.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
Just gonna cross-post this...

ScentOfAnOtaku
Aug 25, 2006

I have no control, I just keep eating, and eating.

Fister Roboto posted:

It's missing a panel between 3 and 4 where they call the son to ask him how to change their netflix password.

Strange most people I know have their parents piggybacking off their account. But you know, kids these days.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Where we're going, we won't need lye.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

lifg posted:

Just gonna cross-post this...

Why would you post something so controversial yet so brave?

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Veib posted:

That's precisely the video I was thinking about, actually. Approximately a trillion years ago I started watching Rent, got bored, and wandered off to do other things. I was just like "oh hey a bunch of narcissistic twits being narcissistic drat it I'm an art major and have to deal with this crap every day I don't want to watch a movie about it." Then she put how terrible every character is into words better than I ever possibly could.

edit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q0qfFbtIj5w

Here it is!

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Fister Roboto posted:

Ugh, 1000+ page book without a single Elven song - HARD PASS!

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Kennel posted:

Ugh, 1000+ page book without a single Elven song - HARD PASS!

You learn a lot about the Battle of Waterloo, and Parisian sewers.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Fister Roboto posted:

honestly, the only time I appreciate a musical is when it is in book form

Chitin
Apr 29, 2007

It is no sign of health to be well-adjusted to a profoundly sick society.
I wonder if there's a novelisation of the movie of the musical of the novel.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Chitin posted:

I wonder if there's a novelisation of the movie of the musical of the novel.

Hamilton, the novel posted:

WE MAKE WHITE LIBERALS FEEL COOL AND POLITICAL! YEAH!

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Veib posted:

Hmm, this is indeed a good video. Thanks!

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Please don't actually read a French novel. Everything from that era was super padded out for serialization like a bad tv show. poo poo had filler arcs and everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Count of Monte Cristo has some pretty fun filler though.