Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Morgan's great, but that's really loving stupid of GW.

Especially when the AoS book is exactly what people were hoping this would be. Its so loving weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diabeesting
Apr 29, 2006

turn right to escape
I've never painted a 40k mini in my life, and really it's only my 3rd ever miniature. But I picked up the 15$ box of plague marines and decided to give it a go. Ive got a lot of cleanup and detail work to go but... I donno, I kind of like him

I've got a wet pallet, some vallejo and citadel paints, and I've decided that Nurgles Rot is a drat trap that makes everything shiny and not good looking. But are there any glaring pointers that you guys wannna point out? Other than thinning my drat paints more holy poo poo pictures make him look so gloopy.

Legendary Ptarmigan
Sep 21, 2007

Need a light?

Contingency posted:

Was the Infiltrator Helix Adept cut from the multipart kit? I don't see it listed in the product description.

https://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/Space-Marines-Primaris-Infiltrators-2019

I spent a bunch of time squinting at the sprue, and I think you're right that it isn't there. However, looking at the shadowspear helix adept, the multitool on the left hand looks pretty similar to the one for the comm guy, and the only other distinguishing feature is the larger pouch. I think you could convert the adept out of the standard kit without too much difficulty.

Odd decision by GW though.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Diabeesting posted:

I've never painted a 40k mini in my life, and really it's only my 3rd ever miniature. But I picked up the 15$ box of plague marines and decided to give it a go. Ive got a lot of cleanup and detail work to go but... I donno, I kind of like him

I've got a wet pallet, some vallejo and citadel paints, and I've decided that Nurgles Rot is a drat trap that makes everything shiny and not good looking. But are there any glaring pointers that you guys wannna point out? Other than thinning my drat paints more holy poo poo pictures make him look so gloopy.

This is better than a lot of people can do. You should be really proud of this mini and try to duplicate what you've done on the next mini, but improve on what you don't like. You've got highlights and washes and all sorts going on. Do another model and marvel at learning by doing, then once you think you're as good as you can get with the techniques you're using, jump onto Darren Latham's YouTube and he will show you some super time consuming ways to take it up a notch.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

What's everyone talking about, yellow doesn't seem that hard-- :shepicide:

So these being my first minis, I had the brilliant idea of making my Dark Imperium Marines into Imperial Fists. I did two using contrast paint, which didn't really work that well with all the smooth areas, so then I switched over to traditional, using an Averland Sunset base with thin coats of Yriel Yellow on top of that. I kind of hosed up the priming and lost some detail, but I think it turned out okay overall:

I still haven't tried the Plague Marines, the number of little details on those models are kind of daunting.

Lord Hydronium fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Oct 24, 2019

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Some tricks for yellow are going to be basing in warm browns and then using loads of thin coats. Just doing pauldrons on my space wolves took like 7 coats of paint to get it looking bold without being thick. It is a bastard colour to do an army in without an airbrush.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Lord Hydronium posted:

I still haven't tried the Plague Marines, the number of little details on those models are kind of daunting.

Plague Marines aren't really hard to paint, they have a lot of detail but they're filthy and dull-colored so minor mistakes really don't matter. If your colors are too bright just hit them with another layer of wash. Ditto if your highlights are too pronounced. If you're not sure what certain details are supposed to look like, just search for "paint death guard" on youtube. Also if you put your paint on too thick, those lumpy features won't ruin the look like they would on regular marines.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Filthy Hans posted:

Plague Marines aren't really hard to paint, they have a lot of detail but they're filthy and dull-colored so minor mistakes really don't matter. If your colors are too bright just hit them with another layer of wash. Ditto if your highlights are too pronounced. If you're not sure what certain details are supposed to look like, just search for "paint death guard" on youtube. Also if you put your paint on too thick, those lumpy features won't ruin the look like they would on regular marines.

They're also ripe for contrast on all the gross bits for a fast and nice finish.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

RagnarokAngel posted:

Especially when the AoS book is exactly what people were hoping this would be. Its so loving weird.

I sincerely don’t get it.

Are AoS and 40k in completely different organizational silos?

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

I sincerely don’t get it.

Are AoS and 40k in completely different organizational silos?
It genuinely seems like none of the teams communicate with each other unless they absolutely have to.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!
Or they need to be much more careful with Sigmar because they need to retain all five people that play it :ssh:

queef anxiety
Mar 4, 2009

yeah

goose willis posted:

Or they need to be much more careful with Sigmar because they need to retain all five people that play it :ssh:

the sigmar team is pretty great if not a little slow on content releases. it always shocks me every time i play a game of 40k after some AoS and get reminded how janky and broken a lot of 40k poo poo is. We have a pretty big group that plays AoS and are generally a lot more chill. I love 40k but trying to get people to play narrative games instead of some busted 6 FW dread list is like pulling teeth in my experience.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

goose willis posted:

Sigmar is insanely successful.

Majin
Apr 15, 2003

Am I just blind or why doesn’t 40k have an app like AoS that you can purchase all the books digitally in? What’s this ePub only type poo poo I’m seeing?

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

Lord Hydronium posted:

What's everyone talking about, yellow doesn't seem that hard-- :shepicide:

So these being my first minis, I had the brilliant idea of making my Dark Imperium Marines into Imperial Fists. I did two using contrast paint, which didn't really work that well with all the smooth areas, so then I switched over to traditional, using an Averland Sunset base with thin coats of Yriel Yellow on top of that. I kind of hosed up the priming and lost some detail, but I think it turned out okay overall:

I started painting with yellow as well. All the tips above are good, but I cheated and got a Badger 105 and basecoating yellow is a cinch.

Otherwise, a slog. But yellow looks incredibly cool when done well, if you're willing to put in the time with really thin coats. Or spend a bunch more money. Either way, I love having a bright-colored army.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Majin posted:

Am I just blind or why doesn’t 40k have an app like AoS that you can purchase all the books digitally in? What’s this ePub only type poo poo I’m seeing?

A list builder app was announced like over a year ago? Was supposed to be PL only but I guess it hasn't happened because of all the gear options which isnt as big a deal as AoS. They're likely waiting for that to get out of development hell.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

TTerrible posted:

This is my take. Everyone at my club is playing it. There have been a few recent four way gobbo showdowns that looked great.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib

Diabeesting posted:

Nurgle's Rot is specifically for stuff that's supposed to look shiny and gooey. So, like, exposed guts or postules. It looks nice and cool there, but not for things like death guard armor. Grab it out again when you get to painting poxwalkers. Paint it over the innardy bits.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

Diabeesting posted:

The other thing to say about an unwanted shiny finish is that you can dull it down by putting matt varnish on top. I use Vallejo Matt and it’s pretty drat good.

Chucat
Apr 14, 2006

Desiden posted:

So, for older players wanting to get up to speed with how the game plays now, what all do you need? I've got the 8th edition core, but I get that's somewhat out of date. Chapter Approved comes out at the end of the year right? Does that mean its probably better at this point to just wait for the new one to drop rather than get the old?

Without knowing what army you play:

- Rulebook + Relevant rulebook FAQ from https://www.warhammer-community.com/faqs/
- If you're planning to be playing a lot in the next month and a bit (or you really want the old missions), get Chapter Approved, otherwise hold off.

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

All of you, please don't rush, everyone do the Guybrush!
Fun Shoe

TTerrible posted:

Over in Europe it has a big following. A friend whom recently moved over to the Netherlands is basically telling me "people broke 8th edition 40k really fast here, so everyone just played Sigmar".

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]
Ooh, stairs.

And, like, other stuff. But Sector Mechanicus really does need stairs.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry
I loved necromunda but I refuse to play the new one until I can ay my spyrer gang again. Sure they were poo poo because they died way too easily, but drat it I wanted to play as rich people hunting the poor.

Smegbot
Jul 13, 2006

Mon the Biffy!
That modular Zone Mortalis terrain looks amazing. It's gonna be a new range, isn't it...

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth
I traded in that farseer and got my first necrom7nda gang, orlocks. I dont know anybody local that plays necro but I can use biker dudes in a lot of games.

Pretty disapointed that I need a forgeworld sprue for certain weapons.

bij
Feb 24, 2007

The copper paint job on the new Necromunda dudes is hot, like a shiny new penny that is going to saw you into a twitching pile of gore-spattered viscera.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
They're like the perfect Chaos cultists for 40K too. I love how flexible the Necromunda range is.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

I do not know anyone who plays Necromunda but I am buying that set. I might be one of those dudes who paints a lot but never plays :(

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

It's also definitely rad that the Enforcers have a new sprue. Hopefully they go that direction instead of forgeworld resin soon.

Seldom Posts
Jul 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

They're like the perfect Chaos cultists for 40K too. I love how flexible the Necromunda range is.

I'm starting my second army, and it looks like it'll be CSM. I just picked up a ton of second hand cultists, but I was thinking about comboing those corpse grinder heads and weapons with a regular CSM squad to make khorne berserkers. My other thought was combo with these guys: https://www.games-workshop.com/en-CA/Khorne-Bloodbound-Blood-Warriors

Does one make more sense than the other appearance-wise?

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fWUY3t4S_kE

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

Those models are extremely good. I have no intention of playing Necro but I may pick them up just to paint

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
It is a really, really good translation into the 40k setting of what makes some of the AoS chaos models so good. The lack of ranged weapons, and the relatively utilitarian armour was a solid choice.

Legendary Ptarmigan
Sep 21, 2007

Need a light?

Seldom Posts posted:

I'm starting my second army, and it looks like it'll be CSM. I just picked up a ton of second hand cultists, but I was thinking about comboing those corpse grinder heads and weapons with a regular CSM squad to make khorne berserkers. My other thought was combo with these guys: https://www.games-workshop.com/en-CA/Khorne-Bloodbound-Blood-Warriors

Does one make more sense than the other appearance-wise?

One of the biggest motifs berserkers have is their big bunny-ear helmets, which some of the Blood Warriors share while the standard chaos marines don't. However, the first issue with this plan is that the warriors boots are clearly leather (having a much different texture to their armor), so they don't pass for power armor without some work. The second is that I haven't found a clean way to get extra chaos backpacks short of just buying the berserker kit itself on top of the blood warriors, which is a pricey option.

One of the user uploaded pics for the blood warrior kit shows a converted berserker with a plasma pistol, which does look pretty great.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Do flamers still roast occupants of open topped transports or am I mangling editions

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

goose willis posted:

Do flamers still roast occupants of open topped transports or am I mangling editions

Nope. I'm not aware of any way to affect a unit inside a transport.

Seldom Posts
Jul 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Legendary Ptarmigan posted:

One of the biggest motifs berserkers have is their big bunny-ear helmets, which some of the Blood Warriors share while the standard chaos marines don't. However, the first issue with this plan is that the warriors boots are clearly leather (having a much different texture to their armor), so they don't pass for power armor without some work. The second is that I haven't found a clean way to get extra chaos backpacks short of just buying the berserker kit itself on top of the blood warriors, which is a pricey option.

One of the user uploaded pics for the blood warrior kit shows a converted berserker with a plasma pistol, which does look pretty great.

This is really helpful thanks. The big bunny ears thing is exactly what I was wondering about. My plan is to use the bodies from the regular CSM kit with the heads and weapons from the Blood dudes, so that should, in a fittingly expensive GW manner, solve the other problems.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

goose willis posted:

No. Just blow up the transport, watch 1/6 of the guys inside die (on average rolls) then flame the survivors.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Hmmmm okay

What's the most reliable way to blow up those Dark Eldar boats you can stuff warriors into and do poison spam with? My gaming buddy does that and it pisses me off like crazy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

goose willis posted:

Hmmmm okay

What's the most reliable way to blow up those Dark Eldar boats you can stuff warriors into and do poison spam with? My gaming buddy does that and it pisses me off like crazy

Raiders (the bigger ones that hold 10 guys) and Venoms (the smaller ones that hold 6) have pretty crap Toughness and not that many Wounds but Night Shields give them Invulnerable saves, and if they're Black Heart they're getting Feel no Pain as well. This means that your one shot Lascannons and Krak Missiles will seem to always go astray exactly when you need them, but that high volume fire weapons will generally force so many die rolls to make them grind down and die. I recommend Autocannons, Assault Cannons, and Heavy Bolters. Lots of them. Even Bolters will wound on 5s, so enough of them will bring 'em down, especially Venoms. Though if you're in Bolter range, you'll want to shoot them last because you want to kill the transport with the bigger guns then spray the guys inside with massed Bolter fire.

This assumes you're playing Marines (which is statistically most likely) but most armies have similar weapons on tap. Lots and lots of mid Strength high shot firepower, preferably with to hit buffs or re-rolls for when they break out Lightning Fast Reactions and slap you with the -1 to hit.