Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

LODGE NORTH posted:

Everything about this feels like he's joking and you guys are getting worked

https://twitter.com/Fobwashed/status/1186783245515411456?s=19

He has the focus of Andy Kaufman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

LODGE NORTH posted:

Everything about this feels like he's joking and you guys are getting worked

it's just funny. clickbait headlines aside, his writing feels like he really resents the medium but has some sort of weird 'academic responsibility' to keep engaging with it

but this is the switch thread and i'm done with the de-rail

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I once watched a security training on YouTube where the presenter used lulwut out loud and it was the most second-hand embarrassment I have ever felt in my life.

Then he did it again and again. Someone who is highly respected in the security community, talking like this, it’s madness!

Dang I didn’t know Paul Blart was a gamer

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

How the gently caress do you pronounce "XD"?

I'm guessing it's "never touch me".

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Ex Dee

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

:xd:

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

I won’t pronounce emojis or say internet slang out loud but I do reenact the Vince McMahon gif

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
The only internet slang I use in real life is JoyCon.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
ok im going on a 2nd date with a girl, and we talked about maybe playing a co-op game a bit. I was thinking Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes because she is a math teacher, seems like a reasonable fit. Any other games I should consider?

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Smash

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

nah im gonna try to do that later on :angel:

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
:hfive:

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
maybe overcooked i guess??

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

There's Snipperclips, which could probably also be used for weird innuendo if you're both into that.

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

Overcooked is probably somehow actually a pretty good measure of fundamental compatibility, yeah. It'll reveal some personality truths.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

I'm not sure if any relationship could survive Overcooked's lofty standards.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Save Overcooked for when you want to end things and see other people

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Trip Report

Went to the Nintendo store. Gawked at the every amiibo collection. Played LA on the jumbo tron. Did not purchase a garment or other product. Worth waking a few extra blocks for. Do recommend.

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

acksplode posted:

Save Overcooked for when you want to end things and see other people

My partner and I have been playing overcooked for years and we haven't gotten divorced

yet

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

RZA Encryption posted:

Since there's no review I can find anywhere online for it:

PBA Pro Bowling came out yesterday.

Digital only, seems to have a lot in common with this phone game that came out previously. There are tickets and gold pins to help you unlock things, and you can buy them from the eshop, but you also earn them through normal play.

Game is extremely blurry in handheld, less noticeably when docked, but still blurry. Like someone put a soap opera filter on it. Graphics are fine for environments, but laughable for any human characters. The crowd is full of PS2 level undetailed blobs, so perfect representations of your typical bowling tournament fans. The player characters are more detailed, and roughly look like the pros they portray. So far it seems like you can only play against the pros, not as them. Commentary is fine, but I'm sure will get repetitive. The equipment is a mix of real world branded balls and made up gimmick balls that have effects on your EXP or earnings. (example: 15 EXP per strike bowled with this ball, 5 EXP per spare)

All that said, I can still find fun in this game. I like bowling (I bowl every week), I like watching PBA, and I like Jesper Svensson.

A serviceable game. It's $20. If you like bowling, you might like it. You might also consider just going bowling in real life instead. Here's a link to find a bowling center near you. (Or, you know, just use google maps).

Thanks for this. I have the mobile game on my iPad but would love to play it on the big screen as long as it's doable without massive microtransactions. Still a little hesitant because it's really crisp on mobile...

The eShop description says something about a campaign mode?

Tall Tale Teller
May 20, 2003
Grave? Shovel! Let's go.

And he looks EXACTLY how I expected him to. Google him. Bask in the virginity.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

EightFlyingCars posted:

My partner and I have been playing overcooked for years and we haven't gotten divorced

yet

Marry that- oh. Renew your vows? Double marry?

Weedle
May 31, 2006

I read the goose article. It’s pretty interesting and the headline and deck are obviously tongue-in-cheek. It’s mostly about how all video games fundamentally boil down to operating a piece of software to produce an entertaining result. Thus the popularity of goose GIFs and such—you’re getting the entertaining result without expending the labor of operating the software.

He’s not actually saying no one should play the goose game. It’s just a rumination on the nature of interactive entertainment.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Weedle posted:

I read the goose article. It’s pretty interesting and the headline and deck are obviously tongue-in-cheek. It’s mostly about how all video games fundamentally boil down to operating a piece of software to produce an entertaining result. Thus the popularity of goose GIFs and such—you’re getting the entertaining result without expending the labor of operating the software.

He’s not actually saying no one should play the goose game. It’s just a rumination on the nature of interactive entertainment.
It's poo poo and he sucks rear end.

HMS Beagle
Feb 13, 2009

Andrast posted:

Okay let's get to the bottom of this. We'll start with the "J" and move on to the other letters after that

what *is* Japan?

verb (used with object)

to coat with any material that gives a hard, black gloss.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

American McGay posted:

It's poo poo and he sucks rear end.

It's fine as a light academic article but 100% out of place on the atlantic or anywhere that actually wants to have an audience outside the academy.

Brother Entropy posted:

the operating is part of the entertainment though, solving a puzzle yourself and watching a gif of what happens when you solve the puzzle are two distinct things

This is correct, and the point the article is making is that there is a massive audience of people for whom anything resembling puzzle solving will never be entertaining, only frustrating, and games cannot reach that market.

Mister Olympus fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Oct 24, 2019

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Weedle posted:

the operating is part of the entertainment though, solving a puzzle yourself and watching a gif of what happens when you solve the puzzle are two distinct things

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

It's the same logic as people that watch LPs all day and pretend they played the game themselves, I don't get it

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
only one worthwhile goose game article has been written and it is "I Am the Horrible Goose That Lives in the Town"

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Fly Ricky posted:

Thanks for this. I have the mobile game on my iPad but would love to play it on the big screen as long as it's doable without massive microtransactions. Still a little hesitant because it's really crisp on mobile...

The eShop description says something about a campaign mode?

There's a career mode that you'll recognize from the mobile game. It's the scenarios that you have to clear to get to the next scenario. Open bowling, league, pro am, regionals, etc. The game looks a lot more crisp in docked mode than portable, though the graphics are still not very detailed, especially the crowd. I preordered (lol), so I got 500 gold pins as a bonus. I started with 750 though, so I guess you get 250 to start? I have used exactly 0 so far. I think you need them to enter the online tournaments, but I don't plan on doing that.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Anyone know if Ring Fit Adventures is any cheaper than usual at Walmart?

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
It's 3 cents cheaper I think.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

"Four hundred ninety"

Solar Tornado
Aug 9, 2016

A true fool keeps on fighting, even when there is no more glory to be gained

"Schd"

As in "I fard and XD everyday in my pants"

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

Anyone know if Ring Fit Adventures is any cheaper than usual at Walmart?

its ten bux cheaper for now, afaik

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

obran dinn has basically entirely dissolved my brain until I figure out the solution to this mystery

:argh:

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
What are the wrong opinions? That pokemon games are good?

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Bulgakov posted:

obran dinn has basically entirely dissolved my brain until I figure out the solution to this mystery

:argh:

It's incredibly good. My partner who has a general dislike for ALL games, digital or otherwise, is really enjoying playing through it together.

I personally love the presentation. The sound work is excellent and little touches like the protagonist hand shaking during the Doom chapter work so well. That whole chapter, which we're on was just a general surprise to me. The game just starts so strong.

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

100YrsofAttitude posted:

It's incredibly good. My partner who has a general dislike for ALL games, digital or otherwise, is really enjoying playing through it together.

I personally love the presentation. The sound work is excellent and little touches like the protagonist hand shaking during the Doom chapter work so well. That whole chapter, which we're on was just a general surprise to me. The game just starts so strong.

It really is immersive. Felt like I time traveled or something!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

obra dinn is the rare game that extremely wants the user to succeed