Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled
How do they spend 3 hours talking about Pat's internet being hosed?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
No wonder Matt wanted out.

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

MagusDraco posted:

How do they spend 3 hours talking about Pat's internet being hosed?

:wow:

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
It's actually about Indivisible. Pat hates it, Woolie loves it, they argue about it incessantly for three hours because it's clear they both want different things from the game but aren't able to just leave it at that so it has to meet some kinds of non-existent objective "good" threshold for them to fight over.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Of course pat hates it, he's hilariously terrible at it. Like, I've checked out a few different streams and basically everyone cottoned on to the basic mechanics by the first boss but pat just basically stared blankly at it throughout

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
im good at it but the games combat is puddle-deep and the optimal strategy by midgame and beyond is to slap all the buttons as fast as possible and the game never, ever challenges you on that.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Farg posted:

im good at it but the games combat is puddle-deep and the optimal strategy by midgame and beyond is to slap all the buttons as fast as possible and the game never, ever challenges you on that.

So it's the Astral Chain of Valkyrie Profile games is what you're saying

Farg
Nov 19, 2013

Blockhouse posted:

So it's the Astral Chain of Valkyrie Profile games is what you're saying

sure i guess. i really wanted the combat to be deeper but trying to play it "right" and chain together attacks in a smart way did incrementally more damage at best and took twice as long

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Farg posted:

I had some decent strategies and tactics until I found Leilani and just Spin To Win while mashing everyone else's buttons to hammer on everyone while she whirlwinds the entire enemy group for 20 seconds

I also have Naga Rider in my party because he has a Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann color scheme and it looks real good and also he Cannot Stop Posing

Really the main problem with the combat is that for some weird reason all the numbers skyrocket after a certain point after the "prologue" and something about the affinity system (hearts) seems to amplify all numbers to a ridiculous degree so now I'm about 2/3 into the game I believe (after the second trip to mount sumeru) and my party members have 35k health and can kill everything in a single round of combat. Right after the above spoilered part, Leilani was able to solo a number of enemy groups. I wonder if lab zero will balance things a bit or what because yeah, most everything is steamrolled in the latter part of the game no matter how monstrous they're supposed to be.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

When I started watching SBFP I thought that Pat was nuts and Woolie was sane. After the hilarity that was today (and also, like, the last five years of listening to their podcasts) I'm starting to think that the only real difference is that Pat knows he's crazy, and Woolie thinks that everybody else is crazy.

Also, as someone who's never played Astral Chain, what the hell was going on with Woolie's savegame mind gremlins? Was the hub area also part of a mission, and he was assuming it would autosave in-mission just like it did when he returned to it between missions? Because that was the most entertaining part of the podcast by far, but gently caress it was confusing.

Omi no Kami fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Oct 24, 2019

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
Woolie isn't crazy, just extremely stuck in his ways.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Captain Invictus posted:

Of course pat hates it, he's hilariously terrible at it. Like, I've checked out a few different streams and basically everyone cottoned on to the basic mechanics by the first boss but pat just basically stared blankly at it throughout

Wow. You can watch Woolie and Reggie grok what and whose attacks set up for juggles and all sorts of thing as soon as the first LP episode.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Neo_Crimson posted:

Woolie isn't crazy, just extremely stuck in his ways.

and also crazy

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Dawgstar posted:

Wow. You can watch Woolie and Reggie grok what and whose attacks set up for juggles and all sorts of thing as soon as the first LP episode.
I mean, you and I say that, and then episode four drops and they figure out Maha Ravannavar's head gimmick and then proceed to mash their faces into a brick wall for 20 minutes because they don't understand it's NUMBER of hits and not STRENGTH of hits that pushes him back. They use the falcon's screech attack that works best against him and then proceed to think going airborne is a bad idea. Or use ajna and dhar to beat back the heads and then use ginseng to deal actual damage to the body, 2-3 points at a time...

They figured it out eventually but man that was a bit rough

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Farg posted:

That sounds like it has Fire Emblem:3 Houses syndrome, where most of the options and player choices don't matter on the default difficulties. Fortunately, 3 Houses got another difficulty patched in where player choices do matter and every option has an actual use in the game.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
No, it's not really a three houses situation. There is no actual evolution to the combat or addition beyond their set moveset.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Oh god the indivisible talk is so much worse than I thought it would be lol

Pat really is mind goblins personified, I made it to an hour and a quarter in before skipping past it all

Edit: Oh god I thought it was done around the time they started talking about Astral Chain but then it really did continue until 2 hours and 45 minutes into the podcast what the fuuuuuck

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Oct 25, 2019

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Captain Invictus posted:

Oh god the indivisible talk is so much worse than I thought it would be lol

Pat really is mind goblins personified, I made it to an hour and a quarter in before skipping past it all

Edit: Oh god I thought it was done around the time they started talking about Astral Chain but then it really did continue until 2 hours and 45 minutes into the podcast what the fuuuuuck

Yeah I'm just gonna skip this podcast. Jesus christ

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

I would recommend just cutting to the 3 hour mark. The news section taught me that the reason why Fallout 76 is a laggy mess, is because it pings every single item in someone's inventory.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I'm going to listen to the 3 hours of nothing in this podcast while practicing for climax of night and nothing is going to stop me except Pat and Woolie being insufferable and I've a high tolerance for that at this point

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
I wish we had Matt and Woolie going through the 2k20 trainwreck. It could've been the new Livin Da Dream or THUG!

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

The Bee posted:

I wish we had Matt and Woolie going through the 2k20 trainwreck. It could've been the new Livin Da Dream or THUG!

:smith:

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Tae posted:

No, it's not really a three houses situation. There is no actual evolution to the combat or addition beyond their set moveset.

Yeah, there isn't really progression. Ajna levels up, and other characters gain Affinity, but it really isn't clear at all what that does mechanically--presumably it makes the numbers slightly bigger, but not in a way you notice. And characters besides Ajna are just their moveset, straight up, all at more or less the same power level, without a lot of incentive to pick one over another. And because each moveset is (understandably) small, it isn't like there's a ton of tricks to pick up, there's no real reward for playing particularly well.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
valkyrie profile got away with its gigantic cast because your party members were also basically salable resources, you had to kick one up to valhalla every so often or daddy odin would get very upset

this encouraged a semi-rotating cast where you had a couple of reliable standbys along with whatever schmuck you were leveling up to send upstairs that chapter

indivisible just seems to be glutted with characters and short on reasons to use any of them

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Indivisible's cast has some pretty fun character gimmicks, it's just that you really don't benefit from engaging with the harder gimmicks or really trying to be creative with your combos at all. I kinda wish it cribbed a bit more from DMC/Bayonetta, with "rated" fights and reasons to not just wait until you got everyone's attack gauge filled in to actually do poo poo.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

MagusDraco posted:

Yeah I'm just gonna skip this podcast. Jesus christ

Nah just skip to 2h45m in the moment they start talking about playing indivisible, the rest of the cast is fine after that

Captain Baal posted:

I'm going to listen to the 3 hours of nothing in this podcast while practicing for climax of night and nothing is going to stop me except Pat and Woolie being insufferable and I've a high tolerance for that at this point
This stuff gets into the latter day best friends way too real parts from the segment I listened to, not sure you want to endure that for hours

Oxxidation posted:

indivisible just seems to be glutted with characters and short on reasons to use any of them
I wouldn't go that far but some characters simply are better than others. Razmi, much as I love her as a character, is basically useless later on when you get characters like Leilani who can do ridiculous aoe damage to the entire enemy group with the only downside being she is dizzied for a while afterwards and completely vulnerable, but since she does half or more the enemy's health in one go it's an easy tradeoff.

I do hope they balance things in a patch but I'm still enjoying the game a ton

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Oxxidation posted:

valkyrie profile got away with its gigantic cast because your party members were also basically salable resources, you had to kick one up to valhalla every so often or daddy odin would get very upset

this encouraged a semi-rotating cast where you had a couple of reliable standbys along with whatever schmuck you were leveling up to send upstairs that chapter

And often for the best match you'd have to recruit, say, a mermaid at the beginning of the chapter and ship her off to Valhalla at the end. Also you got two characters you honestly wanted to keep until the end pretty early on so you were able to have party members you were used to.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Captain Invictus posted:

This stuff gets into the latter day best friends way too real parts from the segment I listened to, not sure you want to endure that for hours

I was ready to skip the boys' Indivisible fight (because I backed the Switch version oh boy) but mind elaborating? just a big scream fight an hour into that discussion?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
There is something in the tone of voice with woolie in particular where it's clear it's gone beyond their typical bickering and straight into "fucks sake, pat is doing THIS poo poo again on camera" but since the back down doesn't exist in castle super beast they argued for 3 hours straight instead of moving on after 20 minutes with "I like it, you hate it"

It felt omicron-esque type of getting Actual Mad

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Captain Invictus posted:

There is something in the tone of voice with woolie in particular where it's clear it's gone beyond their typical bickering and straight into "fucks sake, pat is doing THIS poo poo again on camera" but since the back down doesn't exist in castle super beast they argued for 3 hours straight instead of moving on after 20 minutes with "I like it, you hate it"

It's impossible to back down from a fight Pat's decided to have. He's like a ginger goose, he's gonna keep coming at you.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Captain Invictus posted:

Very oof, and I'm glad I won't listen to that. Thank you

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Dias posted:

It's impossible to back down from a fight Pat's decided to have. He's like a ginger goose, he's gonna keep coming at you.

It feels like Pat is the ur-example of the guy in your social circle that you give the label 'okay in small doses.'

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

Dawgstar posted:

It feels like Pat is the ur-example of the guy in your social circle that you give the label 'okay in small doses.'

And that's why the channel doesn't exist anymore! :suicide101:

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I've been rewatching old Shitstorms and there's a lot of bits in Shitstorm 7 that, in hindsight, were pretty heavily foreshadowing the whole thing being close to imploding. The Visage video is practically forty minutes of Matt and Pat being legit annoyed at each other.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

You can easily point to Pat being the reason why the channel never reached the heights of their fellow youtubers, when you hear stories that every idea forward was either by Woolie or Matt.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 26 days!

Tae posted:

I would recommend just cutting to the 3 hour mark. The news section taught me that the reason why Fallout 76 is a laggy mess, is because it pings every single item in someone's inventory.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZsfTWqqKKM

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax
Holy poo poo, I can't believe that they either didn't;

A) Patch it in so the items don't need to ping or
B) Patch it in so that while the items ping, instead of pinging a central server it spoofed the server locally and sent back a 'packet received' message without actually leaving the machine.

Sure the second would make the game more likely to have dupes; but it's not an MMO with a central economy. It's just Minecraft with Bethesda owned servers.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Blockhouse posted:

I've been rewatching old Shitstorms and there's a lot of bits in Shitstorm 7 that, in hindsight, were pretty heavily foreshadowing the whole thing being close to imploding. The Visage video is practically forty minutes of Matt and Pat being legit annoyed at each other.

I've been rewatching their DS3 playthrough, and while I still think they have great chemistry together, holy poo poo there's some moments that in hindsight you can just feel the break-up starting to form.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

I wish Pat and Woolie made new friends to hang out/podcast with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

When was the last time they had a guest on the podcast?