Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I don't know why anyone would want that. The name "commodore" doesn't really evoke high end gaming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Bargearse posted:

Every now and then, there's talk of reviving Commodore as a brand for premium gaming stuff to compete with Razer and Alienware, but it always goes absolutely nowhere.
I can't imagine that being applied to anything in a worthwhile way. It's like when RadioShack slapped the Tandy brand on some generic peripherals right before they finally died for good.

klafbang
Nov 18, 2009
Clapping Larry

Cojawfee posted:

I don't know why anyone would want that. The name "commodore" doesn't really evoke high end gaming.

Kodak was used to sell a cryptocurrency scam. Better that Commodore is a generic gaming computer than something worse.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

BRB, buying some quality electronics sporting the storied Bell & Howell name off this late-night infomercial

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Cojawfee posted:

No, but it used to for a long time. (Not that it would still make sense.)

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Bargearse posted:

Every now and then, there's talk of reviving Commodore as a brand for premium gaming stuff to compete with Razer and Alienware, but it always goes absolutely nowhere.

I have another amazing idea for a brand name to bring back from the dead and put on high-end hardware!

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Powered Descent posted:

I have another amazing idea for a brand name to bring back from the dead and put on high-end hardware!

I was just about to post that one lol

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.

Cojawfee posted:

It would at least be somewhat in keeping with Commodore’s history.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Powered Descent posted:

god seeing that logo again is such a nostalgia rush. :allears:

That said, I'm buying a little aluminum Commodore badge for my laptop because of this discussion, thanks Etsy

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.
Buying one to replace the Antec badge on my PC case right now

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

I just picked up this baby at the thrift store

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Powered Descent posted:

Gateway 2000, but the old angular gold logo, not the new cow bullshit when they dropped the 2000

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think cows was always their thing.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

RandomFerret posted:

I’m not convinced this is better than $35 worth of beer.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Cojawfee posted:

Hmm, maybe I'm mis-remembering. I knew I should have consulted gatewayhistory.xlsx first

RandomFerret posted:

buddy, I know a thing or three about lovely windows tablets (I'm typing this on one), and I feel you may have gotten worked here

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Oh, it's absolute dogshit garbage and you could probably find the exact same tablet without the polaroid branding new on aliexpress for less than I paid, but gently caress it. Now I have netflix in the bathroom

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Cojawfee posted:

yeah, wasn't the HQ in like iowa or something

e: It's South Dakota

e2: I was right the first time, why the gently caress did i know that

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Remember when they had Gateway 2000 retail stores that had like hay bales and cow troughs

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

buddy, I know a thing or three about lovely windows tablets (I'm typing this on one), and I feel you may have gotten worked here

The other day I was at Walmart getting an oil change so I wandered over to the electronics section to marvel at their selection of horrible computers. One of the only ones that had a working display model was a Windows 10 tablet with a 32 GB eMMC drive. On the display model only 700 megs of that was free :gonk: I hope whoever buys that thing doesn't need to install any applications or store any local files.

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
You need 31.3 gigs to get on the cloud now

Saucer Crab
Apr 3, 2009

Mr.Radar posted:

The other day I was at Walmart getting an oil change so I wandered over to the electronics section to marvel at their selection of horrible computers. One of the only ones that had a working display model was a Windows 10 tablet with a 32 GB eMMC drive. On the display model only 700 megs of that was free :gonk: I hope whoever buys that thing doesn't need to install any applications or store any local files.

You have to stick a flash drives into these things just to let them download and install Windows 10 version updates.

Captainsalami
Apr 16, 2010

I told you you'd pay!
Aren't all tablets mostly poo poo tbh? I've been trying to find a decent droid tablet for awhile, or at least one for netflix and the play store usable with no luck.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Captainsalami posted:

Aren't all tablets mostly poo poo tbh? I've been trying to find a decent droid tablet for awhile, or at least one for netflix and the play store usable with no luck.

I have a 2-in-1 Chromebook I'm happy with. Not sure what the state of Windows tablets is, though.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Captainsalami posted:

The selection of decent tablets is much more limited than decent Android phones. Samsung makes a few that are good (if you can stand Samsung's version of Android) but really you are probably better off getting a Windows 10 tablet or iPad.

Captainsalami
Apr 16, 2010

I told you you'd pay!

Lowen SoDium posted:

The selection of decent tablets is much more limited than decent Android phones. Samsung makes a few that are good (if you can stand Samsung's version of Android) but really you are probably better off getting a Windows 10 tablet or iPad.

I really just want one for Netflix and final fantasy record keeper and other mobile games. I dont think my google play stuff would carry over to appe sadly.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Tablets are pretty much dead. You're better off getting a 2 in 1 chromebook with android and linux support. Some android apps might not work, and I don't think there's USB OTG support yet though. A few niche cases aren't supported, but most things are fine.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

what's the difference between a chromebook and a netbook of ages past? Other than OS I guess.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Grand Prize Winner posted:

what's the difference between a chromebook and a netbook of ages past? Other than OS I guess.

My Chromebook isn't underpowered, for one thing.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Cojawfee posted:

Tablets are pretty much dead. You're better off getting a 2 in 1 chromebook with android and linux support. Some android apps might not work, and I don't think there's USB OTG support yet though. A few niche cases aren't supported, but most things are fine.

surfaces are actually very much in use, and apple is about to kill off laptops and go to the surface/tablet model

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Grand Prize Winner posted:

Well the OS is kind of a fun distinction because the Atom-powered netbooks of yore would struggle with the programs you needed. Chromebooks offload a lot of that into webapps but the tradeoff is you can't just launch Audacity or whatever goofy specialty program you have for whatever.

Netbooks tended to have really small screens, while Chromebooks (even the ones aiming for the Macbook Air demographic) tend to have screens that are scaled properly or sized properly to be useable. I had a bunch of HP netbooks because the place I worked at received a grant and, like, Windows XP was next to unusable without a graphics driver update because a system message window on a screen the size of a large iphone at 600x400 or whatever was just rear end.

And Netbooks primarily wanted to maximize the battery so you had these tiny screens and tiny keyboards in low power configurations that were terrible to use all around.

I rather think Netbooks made the same mistake that pre-iphone Smart Phones made, in that they smashed stuff into a form factor instead of actually adapting it to make the user experience good. Did it really matter that your netbook could run Photoshop Essentials if you couldn't have any tools of menus open while editing?

FilthyImp has a new favorite as of 06:19 on Oct 24, 2019

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Netbooks were a cool idea that just wasn't ready yet. Like those tiny slide keyboard computers. It was cool to have a tiny little laptop that could do a bunch of stuff, but it's terrible to work with because it's so small. Now I have a chromebook with a 1080p screen that does nearly everything I want it to.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Plinkey posted:

surfaces are actually very much in use, and apple is about to kill off laptops and go to the surface/tablet model

Jesus christ, pick a thing and stick with it. 3-4 years ago, I told my friends that laptops were on their way out because Tablets with keyboard attachments were the future. Everyone told me I was an idiot and everyone needed real laptops. And then tablets went away and everyone was into convertibles, and now it's back to tablets again? What the gently caress?

GI_Clutch
Aug 22, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Dinosaur Gum
I ended up formatting my Eee PC netbook and installing FreeDOS on it. It boots up into Word 6.0 to let my wife write distraction free. There's a little 8GB USB nub plugged in so she can transfer to her laptop when she's done. Well, that was the plan, but after two uses it's just been collecting dust.

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

Cojawfee posted:

Jesus christ, pick a thing and stick with it. 3-4 years ago, I told my friends that laptops were on their way out because Tablets with keyboard attachments were the future. Everyone told me I was an idiot and everyone needed real laptops. And then tablets went away and everyone was into convertibles, and now it's back to tablets again? What the gently caress?

Surfaces and ipads are really popular in the art communities I run in. You can do digital on the go, and ic you're not using them, they're a great animated display for your con table.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Cojawfee posted:

DicktheCat posted:

Surfaces and ipads are really popular in the art communities I run in. You can do digital on the go, and ic you're not using them, they're a great animated display for your con table.
https://comb.io/BUUwfh

Which one is it? :argh:

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

Tablets are great for reading and noting stuff on the go . I'm a postgrad finishing his PhD and my life would suck a lot more without my cheap Samsung pad for rifling through articles without having to print them or trying to read them on my laptop. I think academia is one of the main reasons iPads still exist.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

My laptop's power supply died when I was deployed last year and it took 2 weeks for its replacement to show up. I was drat glad I had an Amazon Fire to watch movies on.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

FilthyImp posted:

Netbooks tended to have really small screens, while Chromebooks (even the ones aiming for the Macbook Air demographic) tend to have screens that are scaled properly or sized properly to be useable. I had a bunch of HP netbooks because the place I worked at received a grant and, like, Windows XP was next to unusable without a graphics driver update because a system message window on a screen the size of a large iphone at 600x400 or whatever was just rear end.

There was a phase where they made them wide but slim, the one I had was like 13"x5" or something like that, 1024x720 or something weird like that. Windows ran like absolute poo poo but HP actually put out a Linux distro for it and that was good enough for word processing and email. Wouldn't have wanted any more than that but it was kinda good that I couldn't do any gaming on that thing when I was in undergrad.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019
I picked up a Chromebook about a year ago and my mind is still blown that there are now laptops that can be used on your lap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

FilthyImp posted:

And Netbooks primarily wanted to maximize the battery so you had these tiny screens and tiny keyboards in low power configurations that were terrible to use all around.

I rather think Netbooks made the same mistake that pre-iphone Smart Phones made, in that they smashed stuff into a form factor instead of actually adapting it to make the user experience good. Did it really matter that your netbook could run Photoshop Essentials if you couldn't have any tools of menus open while editing?

The second gen (most popular) netbooks were 1024x600 which was just not quite enough resolution to be a good experience.

Where they really failed is that it is an aspect ratio that does not work well with a lot of Windows apps: So many times, you would get a window popping up and the 'OK' button was below the bottom of the screen and unclickable.

Then they seemed to go down the route of getting a little bit more powerful at the expense of a lot of battery life: I remember HP did one that seemed really nice, apart from a <2hr battery life on a device designed to be used on the go.

Finally, they got expensive and one of the joys of the original netbooks was that they were cheap and cheerful and you could throw them in a backpack and not worry too much.