Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4

Yes, the face of the Britisher. Many a beshitted former colony is aware of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kakotheres
Nov 9, 2016

Do the job that is in front of you

RobattoJesus posted:

You're absolutely right Librarian, we can stop Brexit using an L-Space wormhole!

BEATEN!!!!!!
:negative:

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Glenn Quebec posted:

Yes, the face of the Britisher. Many a beshitted former colony is aware of it.
His mouth isn't open and complaining, so it's not a totally accurate rendition.

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

Fetal Brexit syndrome

Rogue Copter Pilot
Apr 12, 2005

a dead whale or a stove boat

elder scrolls vi looking good

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

BBC" posted:

Testing indicated the man was over the age of 46

In Scotland? Fake news right there.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Rogue Copter Pilot posted:

elder scrolls vi looking good
High Roxit

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

if they wanted to see what a medieval aberdeen man looked like they could just go there now

bertolt rekt
Jul 30, 2007

please keep charlie kirk out of the brexit thread

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

lol

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit-50-pence-coins-delay-a9168306.html

quote:

Brexit 50p: Millions of commemorative coins thrown into doubt as delay looms

Plans for millions of 50p coins to commemorate Brexit day have been thrown into doubt after MPs derailed Boris Johnson's chances of fast-tracking his deal through parliament by Halloween.

Sajid Javid, the chancellor, announced plans for new coins to mark Brexit earlier this year – shortly before Mr Johnson won the Conservative leadership contest – following enthusiastic calls from Conservative MPs.

But with the prime minister’s Brexit timetable in doubt, and the UK awaiting a verdict from the EU on the length of a third extension, the Treasury refused to confirm whether production had begun on the first tranche of coins.

The confusion came after it emerged that three million of the coins were to be imprinted with the Brexit date of 31 October and ready to spend by the end of the month.

Treasury sources told the Daily Telegraph that the coins had to be approved at the privy council so the coins had "legal tender status for when it is introduced on the day we leave".

One source said: "Three million will be ready for exit day and 10 million will be struck within the first year."

The new 50p pieces were due to be emblazoned with the words “peace, prosperity and friendship with all nations” and the 31 October date of the UK's anticipated departure from the EU.

A further seven million were then due to be minted over the course of year – considerably more than the 10,000 commemorative coins planned by Mr Javid’s predecessor, Philip Hammond.

The Royal Mint regularly issues commemorative currency, with notable coins minted in honour of the 2012 London Olympics.

The coin was expected to join a line of EU-inspired coinage in the UK, including one when the nation joined the European Economic Community in 1973, and another when the UK held the presidency of the EU Council in 1998.

The Treasury declined to comment when approached by The Independent.

It comes as parliament was plunged into fresh uncertainty after MPs rejected Mr Johnson's plan to rush his Brexit deal through the Commons in just three days - despite having given their approval, in principle, to his Brexit deal minutes earlier.

Mr Johnson vowed to "pause" the legislation in the wake of the result, leaving Brexit in limbo, as the prime minister is now effectively at the mercy of EU leaders who will decide whether to grant Britain a further extension.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

i like how they're really ratcheting up the tension now that we're getting close to the end of the season

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

i wonder if those villages that get all the defective super bowl shirts with the losing team will be able to switch over to an exclusively BREXITCOIN currency

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
https://mobile.twitter.com/nowthisnews/status/1187164551739052032

is this brexit

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Hey there, just 7 more days till brexit. No rush.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
EU really dragging its feet on this extension, maybe macron really will gently caress britain up?

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
8 more days till halloween
halloween
halloween

silver Brexit

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames

ahahahahahahahahahahhaa

I thought this was some dumb American thing: coin collecting

Hillary 2024
Nov 13, 2016

by vyelkin

hakimashou posted:

EU really dragging its feet on this extension, maybe macron really will gently caress britain up?

This is revenge for Agincourt

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Should I go see the Chemical Brothers next weekend?

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Morter posted:

halloween
halloween

silver Brexit

lorn Wayne
Jan 7, 2006

:staredog::meowth::pipe:

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

sure why not

oh great someone's gonna come in and gently remind that they were videoed making rapid heil hitler signs or something aren't they

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters
i bet the chemical brothers are hella leavers

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
The chemical brothers? Did I step into a time portal to 1996?

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

hey gammons

hey brexits

endless extensions

here we go

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

V. Illych L. posted:

it's bojo. his whole thing is slovenly erudition, and he's not really that erudite

Wait, THAT'S what he's going for? A Zizek thing?

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

oliwan posted:

The chemical brothers? Did I step into a time portal to 1996?

World.

The time has come to.

Balkanise!

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem
How does it feel like

to leave the EU, free?

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

you're disowned if you don't

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
time for another of these Brexit-rocking beats!!!

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
on the one hand

quote:

Boris Johnson’s hopes of achieving Brexit by his “do or die” deadline of 31 October may look increasingly remote, but there is little immediate sign that Labour is going to be able to capitalise.

The Conservatives already enjoy a healthy poll lead of 10 points, on average, according to Britain Elects, with the government on 35%. That leaves Jeremy Corbyn’s opposition on 25%, while the Liberal Democrats sit at 18%.

It is a figure so dismal that the party is behind where Michael Foot was in the run-up to the 1983 election, according to the elections expert John Curtice of Strathclyde University – and would result in a Conservative majority of about 60 on forecasts prepared by Electoral Calculus based on October’s polling. And this is with Nigel Farage’s Brexit party at 12%.

on the other dont british people all just lie to opinion pollsters?

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
Polls predicted that Theresa May would keep (increase?) her majority when she called an election, didn't they?

Edit: Yup.

Wikipedia posted:

Opinion polls had consistently shown strong leads for the Conservatives over Labour. From a 21-point lead, the Conservatives' lead began to diminish in the final weeks of the campaign. In a surprising result, the Conservative Party made a net loss of 13 seats with 42.4% of the vote (its highest share of the vote since 1983), whereas Labour made a net gain of 30 seats with 40.0% (its highest vote share since 2001 and the first time the party had gained seats since 1997). This was the closest result between the two major parties since February 1974, and their highest combined vote share since 1970.

A 21 point lead in the polls turning into a defeat at the actual election makes that "healthy poll lead of 10 points" look a lot less healthy.

Kassad has issued a correction as of 08:37 on Oct 24, 2019

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Kassad posted:

Polls predicted that Theresa May would keep (increase?) her majority when she called an election, didn't they?

Edit: Yup.

A 21 point lead in the polls turning into a defeat at the actual election makes that "healthy poll lead of 10 points" look a lot less healthy.

Flip side, that was the election where nobody voted for the liberal democrats anymore. Pretty much everyone either voted for the tories or labour. People will again this time. If 12% switch from tories to ukip/brexit/whatever and 16% switch from labour to the lib dems, thats a 4% difference which is devastating in terms of a 42.4 vs 40.0 election you were already on the wrong side of :(

Do british polls ever accurately predict anything though? who even knows?

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

drat the lib dems, at all times

Grillfiend
Nov 29, 2015

Belgians ITT
(ie Me)

So has the Brextension been announced yet?

Pipski
Apr 18, 2004

redleader posted:

i bet the chemical brothers are hella leavers

Brexit Planet Dust

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Grondoth posted:

Wait, THAT'S what he's going for? A Zizek thing?

sort of? a big part of the image that bojo tries to project is tied up to a sort of weird macho ideal that actually working hard is for scrubs who aren't clever enough to just wing it. johnson has breezed through eton and oxford by virtue of being fairly bright and intensely privileged, but all he's really learned is how to project an air of old-school classical burgerliche ausbildung. so when an interviewer asks about which former politician he'd like to be he can credibly go off on a tangent about pericles, and he uses lots of cultural references and long words, which protects a sort of learnedness while his hair and carefully disheveled style communicates that don't worry i'm not one of those pretentious nerds, this is just who i am

he's the smartest kid in the room who was always charming enough to wiggle out of doing any actual work, and who developed a contempt of effort. this has been combined with the traditional sociopathy of the british ruling class and being ridiculously spoiled to create a man who doesn't know, doesn't care and really doesn't agree that there's much of a point in this whole knowing things business - that's what the geeks are for

iSimian
Jan 19, 2008

Well, there's your problem!

It’s like Pangea, but for face.

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes

iSimian posted:

It’s like Pangea, but for face.

Paxit

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008