Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
it chapter 2 3.5/5 since i got back from a midnight screening- (hey this was almost 3 hours long, i should have checked the runtime but i'm an idiot) it was aight, i feel like the first part was way tighter, trying to do the intercutting between time periods structure of the book in part 2 felt like they changed their minds midway through. i also rewatched the first part a few days ago, so the entire thing is fresh in my mind as one cohesive film. liked: the adult casting was great, the dead lights look pretty spot on, the moments of it trolling them as adults/kids were fun to watch just as a horror film even if everyone has plot armor until the book beats of who dies (slightly different in odd ways)...no claymation spider showdown from the 90s was a big plus...stephen king doing stan lee was kinda neat too (i don't think many people in my audience knew that was him)..the nods to the shining and carrie were nice too..NO CHILD ORGY (thank fuckin' god)...

the bad: it's a 5 hour version of a 1000+ page book..it's still not going to ever skim the surface. I know the book ending gets really bizarre and would have been a hard sell but if you're going to tease me with a turtle in both films (lego turtle in pt1, taxidermy turtle in 2) and not go full cosmic turtle ending, you can gently caress off you tease. the native american basket thing was kinda crappy and halfassed, just like the "artifacts" whereas the book made them symbols of power and the movie just kinda wet farts it into the aforementioned basket thing.

the cinematography....losing the first DP shows big time in this film. it's sort of like a bland recreation of what the first guy did, but without any interesting elements to it at all. the first film actually got me in terms of the visuals, this one just..exists..it's few and far between that they do anything cool..even the experimental shots like eddie lining up with his adult actors face as a transition, or the flipping of the camera upside for bowers reveal was kinda basic compared to what chun-hoon chun did...ironically there's scenes where they recreate sets from part one and that acts as a sort of metaphor for the switch in dps...i didn't know they didn't get chun again for part 2 until i got home, but i was pretty drat sure watching the thing..giant shame honestly, dude is super talented. elevated this from generic horror honestly...

also hate to say it but losing cary fukunaga also hurt the second part...

i could also fill paragraphs about the lack of certain elements/depth from the book or the strange changes they make wholesale to characters. stan takes the coward way out in the book, here it's presented as a noble gesture...henry bowers still gets absolutely no motivation which is a shame because his parts of the book are pretty chilling and serve as a clever analogy for it/childhood fear in human form and then later as his literal agent of doom

whewww...idk, it's probably the best we're going to get in terms of a book adaptation until someone gives it a show with a budget treatment that actually sticks to the novel

i was also the only person to jet at the first credit, having looked up to see if there was any credit stuff...it's so strange to me that what used to be every person bolting asap is now everyone trained pavlovian style by marvel poo poo to expect things during/after credits. i'm sure people let out groans if i stuck around...on that same subject..why does everything need a stinger anyway?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Matchstick
Jul 10, 2004

Uncut Gems 2019 0/10 In this direct assault on the craft of filmmaking (as well as the aural and visual senses) Adam Sandler portrays a revolting dealer of revolting jewelry in Manhattan's Jewish diamond district who is trying to manage family life, a girlfriend, and rising gambling debts to the mob. In a mind-numbing display of pure carcinogenic cacophony, Sandler never stops yelling throughout the entire movie. This aggressively reprehensible movie will likely be short-listed as a preferred method of CIA Enhanced Interrogation. If one were to place ten pounds of poo poo in five pound bag between a light source and a screen, they would come close to approximating this dreck. This A24 disaster shall be redeemed in my eyes only if it destoys the careers of Directors Safdie and Adam Sandler.

The second scene was filmed inside a human rear end in a top hat. I should have heeded the warning.

(e to mention the distributor)

Matchstick fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Sep 6, 2019

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
sounds loving awesome, i'll be there opening weekend

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Coaaab posted:

sounds loving awesome, i'll be there opening weekend

Same.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Goddam, It Chapter Two is a mess of a movie.

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
JFK (Rewatch) - ? out of 100

The whole premise is garbage bullshit but the direction and performances are amazing

Gary Oldman, Ed Asner, Jack Lemmon, Walter Matthau, John Candy, Donald Sutherland, Tommy Lee Jones, Joe Pesci

Even Costner is good

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Keith Atherton posted:

JFK (Rewatch) - ? out of 100

The whole premise is garbage bullshit but the direction and performances are amazing

Gary Oldman, Ed Asner, Jack Lemmon, Walter Matthau, John Candy, Donald Sutherland, Tommy Lee Jones, Joe Pesci

Even Costner is good

Did you listen to the chapo episode about it, too?

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
House (1977) 9/10 (re-watch)

So this is mostly infamous for being batshit insane, but the more I watch it the more I think it's sneakily a thoughtful little film. I love the sequence on the train where the girls are "watching" the silent movie of the story Gorgeous is telling them about her family history around World War II. The imaginary movie becomes relentlessly grim, but the girls are completely unable to engage with it as anything but a squee-worthy teen melodrama, even as we see people getting machine gunned and the atomic bomb goes off. They regard the horrors of war with complete incomprehension,which is going to be very unfortunate for them because those horrors haven't really gone away.

This is a film where the monster is arguably nothing less than the inability to let go of the traumas of war... directed by someone who had all their childhood friends die in the atomic bomb attack on Hiroshima. This is so unsubtle that it's hardly even subtext so much as "poo poo the movie directly shows you" but Obayashi buries it under layers of visual effects tricks and random slapstick and eccentric editing until the human mind can barely process it.

Because this movie is still pure :catdrugs: y'all.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

The Russians Are Coming! The Russians Are Coming! (1966, Norman Jewison) [Blu-ray] - 3/5
Craig's Wife (1936, Dorothy Arzner) [Criterion Channel] - 3.5/5
Gulliver's Travels (1939, Dave Fleischer) [Blu-ray, Thunderbean remaster] - 2/5
La Vérité (1960, Henri-Georges Clouzot) [Blu-ray] - 4/5
Panique (1946, Julien Duvivier) [Blu-ray] - 4/5

The Hunchback of Notre Dame (1923, Wallace Worsley) [Blu-ray] - 3/5
Reflections of Evil (2002, Damon Packard) [Vimeo] - :catdrugs: :barf:
Flying Clipper (1962, Hermann Leitner/Rudolf Nussgruber) [UHD] - 3/5
Kaili Blues (2015, Bi Gan) [Criterion Channel] - 4/5
Gosford Park (2001, Robert Altman) [Blu-ray] - 4.5/5

The Seven Year Itch (1955, Billy Wilder) [Blu-ray] - 3/5
The Marriage of Maria Braun (1979, Rainer Werner Fassbinder) [Blu-ray] - 4.5/5
The Round-Up (1920, George Melford) [Blu-ray] - 3/5
Marius (1930, Alexander Korda) [Blu-ray] - 4/5
Veronika Voss (1982, Rainer Werner Fassbinder) [Blu-ray] - 4.5/5

Lola (1981, Rainer Werner Fassbinder) [Blu-ray] - 3.5/5
I Don't Want to be a Man (1918, Ernst Lubitsch) [Blu-ray] - 3.5/5
The Doll (1918, Ernst Lubitsch) [Blu-ray] - 4/5
Fanny (1932, Marc Allegret) [Blu-ray] - 4.5/5
The Half-Breed (1916, Allan Dwan) [Blu-ray] - 3.5/5

The Good Bad Man (1916, Allan Dwan) [Blu-ray] - 3.5/5
Cesar (1936, Marcel Pagnol) [Blu-ray] - 4.5/5

Rewatches:
Macbeth (1948, Orson Welles) [Blu-ray - 1948 version/director's cut] - 4.5/5
The Scarlet Empress (1934, Josef von Sternberg) [Blu-ray] - 4.5/5
Cameraman: The Life and Work of Jack Cardiff (2010, Craig McCall) [Criterion Channel] - 4.5/5

Shorts:
A Tale of Old Whiff (1960, John Hubley) [Blu-ray]
Little Sinner (1935) [DVD]
Our Gang Follies of 1936 (1935) [DVD]
Bored of Education (1935) [DVD]
Arbor Day (1936) [DVD]
Peeping Pete (1913) [Blu-ray]
A Bandit (1913) [Blu-ray]

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib
It chapter two: I'm easy to scare. I can't bear Gore and thought I was haunted for weeks after seeing The Woman in Black. In short, I am a loving wuss and should be an easy scare.

It 2 had me cackling like a loon or bored out if my gourd but not once was it scary. It was Army of Darkness level gory / stupid and it took the worst bit of chapter 1 ( over the top rotten leper) and made *everything* OTT leper -esque. No creepiness, no subtle background shenanigans to heighten tension, just all in your face computer generated nonsense. There was a short, delightfully surreal sequence that had me wondering if this was mind games but nope, actually happening but no one was reacting like it was real at all. More of that would have been good.

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.
So my local art-house theatre was showing some classic movies that I'd never seen before;

Alien, 1979 Really liked it. I appreciated how it was suspenseful without being gory, I can't handle gory. 5/5

Stop Making Sense, 1984 The Talking Heads concert movie. Really liked it. 5/5

Police Story, 1985 This was fun. The stunts and action scenes were great of course and I really liked the chemistry between the Jackie Chan and Briditte Lin's characters 4.5/5

Rock 'n' Roll High School, 1979 Part high school comedy, part Ramones concert film. Some of the jokes and scenes were dated but it worked best when it went for over-the-top sight gags (i.e. in the beginning a freshman gets stuffed in a locker, later he turns up in a file cabinet, a cooking pot, etc) 4/5

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Egbert Souse posted:

The Russians Are Coming! The Russians Are Coming! (1966, Norman Jewison) [Blu-ray] - 3/5
Craig's Wife (1936, Dorothy Arzner) [Criterion Channel] - 3.5/5
Gulliver's Travels (1939, Dave Fleischer) [Blu-ray, Thunderbean remaster] - 2/5
La Vérité (1960, Henri-Georges Clouzot) [Blu-ray] - 4/5
Panique (1946, Julien Duvivier) [Blu-ray] - 4/5

The Hunchback of Notre Dame (1923, Wallace Worsley) [Blu-ray] - 3/5
Reflections of Evil (2002, Damon Packard) [Vimeo] - :catdrugs: :barf:
Flying Clipper (1962, Hermann Leitner/Rudolf Nussgruber) [UHD] - 3/5
Kaili Blues (2015, Bi Gan) [Criterion Channel] - 4/5
Gosford Park (2001, Robert Altman) [Blu-ray] - 4.5/5

The Seven Year Itch (1955, Billy Wilder) [Blu-ray] - 3/5
The Marriage of Maria Braun (1979, Rainer Werner Fassbinder) [Blu-ray] - 4.5/5
The Round-Up (1920, George Melford) [Blu-ray] - 3/5
Marius (1930, Alexander Korda) [Blu-ray] - 4/5
Veronika Voss (1982, Rainer Werner Fassbinder) [Blu-ray] - 4.5/5

Lola (1981, Rainer Werner Fassbinder) [Blu-ray] - 3.5/5
I Don't Want to be a Man (1918, Ernst Lubitsch) [Blu-ray] - 3.5/5
The Doll (1918, Ernst Lubitsch) [Blu-ray] - 4/5
Fanny (1932, Marc Allegret) [Blu-ray] - 4.5/5
The Half-Breed (1916, Allan Dwan) [Blu-ray] - 3.5/5

The Good Bad Man (1916, Allan Dwan) [Blu-ray] - 3.5/5
Cesar (1936, Marcel Pagnol) [Blu-ray] - 4.5/5

Rewatches:
Macbeth (1948, Orson Welles) [Blu-ray - 1948 version/director's cut] - 4.5/5
The Scarlet Empress (1934, Josef von Sternberg) [Blu-ray] - 4.5/5
Cameraman: The Life and Work of Jack Cardiff (2010, Craig McCall) [Criterion Channel] - 4.5/5

Shorts:
A Tale of Old Whiff (1960, John Hubley) [Blu-ray]
Little Sinner (1935) [DVD]
Our Gang Follies of 1936 (1935) [DVD]
Bored of Education (1935) [DVD]
Arbor Day (1936) [DVD]
Peeping Pete (1913) [Blu-ray]
A Bandit (1913) [Blu-ray]

I've never actually seen the Seven Year Itch, is it just not great or is it very dated?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
It Chapter 2 2/5. Big disappointment and a bloated but empty movie. Retreads the first movie but every step is worse, a whole lot of story beats go nowhere, and the horror moments are all undercut by out of place humor or bad goosebumps-esque monsters or being goofy action set pieces instead of anything scary. Just a huge misstep after the first one, but at least the cast was good (Bill Hader mostly).

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

got any sevens posted:

I've never actually seen the Seven Year Itch, is it just not great or is it very dated?

It's alright, but it would have been better as a Frank Tashlin film than Billy Wilder. Tom Ewell stars in it alongside Marilyn Monroe, so I couldn't help but think how much funnier and inventive The Girl Can't Help It is.

AstroWhale
Mar 28, 2009
I am happy you liked the Fassbinders. Those three movies encapsulate West Germany perfectly, but Fear eats Soul is the cherry on top.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Ferris Bueller: 4/4. It's amazing how there's no wasted time, even when he's explaining his rules of faking sickness at the beginning he's also rigging up his fake body at the same time. Perfect music editing, Broderick switches from talking to the viewer to being back in character talking to Cameron on a dime, just a pretty flawless classic still

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Ad Astra, a movie where a sociopath with daddy issues kills a bunch of innocent people so he can see his crazy space dad and kill him too, risking the lives of everyone in the solar system in the process. Also apparently boasts of being scientifically accurate, with scenes on mars and the moon with earth gravity and the aforementioned sociopath blasting his way through the rings of Neptune protected only with a bit of scrap metal. He gets back his girlfriend that he neglected at the end and also doesn't go to prison for some reason. Includes a mostly redundant voice over and lots of pretentious cinematography.

What the gently caress? How is this getting good reviews? It's lazy as hell.

Zero.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

SCheeseman posted:

Ad Astra, a movie where a sociopath with daddy issues kills a bunch of innocent people so he can see his crazy space dad and kill him too, risking the lives of everyone in the solar system in the process. Also apparently boasts of being scientifically accurate, with scenes on mars and the moon with earth gravity and the aforementioned sociopath blasting his way through the rings of Neptune protected only with a bit of scrap metal. He gets back his girlfriend that he neglected at the end and also doesn't go to prison for some reason. Includes a mostly redundant voice over and lots of pretentious cinematography.

What the gently caress? How is this getting good reviews? It's lazy as hell.

Zero.

Ad Astra - 78/100

While I wouldn't go as far as the above goon a lot of said points were on my mind during the screening. This film is equal parts High Life, Apocalypse Now, and Gravity...and none of it really fits together well in terms of subtext, pacing, or tone. It looks incredible (especially that moon chase on IMAX), it sounds incredible, and it plucks from interesting places here and there (visual callbacks abound from 2001,Solaris, Blade Runner 2049), but it can't find a coherent identity and ultimately succumbs to outright melodrama. Pitt was pretty miscast here; he's simply not built for the Ryan Gosling-esque introspection, and his performance in Ad Astra is certainly no threat to the material he turned in on the latest Tarantino film. Now that I've brought up Gosling though, I must say his performance last year as Lance Armstrong was quite good. I really feel that First Man said everything a year ago that Ad Astra is trying to say now about the human condition relative to stellar void, more eloquently and creatively...even though it was bound by a smaller budget and the constraint of historical legacy. In the end, Ad Astra wants to be far too many things for my taste, and it can't convincingly explore any of them because it also wants to be conventionally event-like. Glad I saw it in optimal conditions. Would not watch again.

BeanpolePeckerwood fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Sep 20, 2019

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Ad Astra - 3/5. Kinda let down and agree with the sentiment that it feels like 2 movies pulling in different directions. Could have been great if it were 20-30 minutes shorter with the chuff cut out. I felt it was most like First Man meets Contact, with a bit of Interstellar and Event Horizon thrown in, but weaker than all of them in each respective way. First Man did the internal struggle and visceral space flight stuff way better, Contact had more to say, and the others had more style and flare. Brad Pitt was good, and I liked the ending a lot.

The Shining 4k remaster - 5/5 Finally got to see it in theaters and it was something special. Huge old school theater, small crowd of dedicated fans, cold beer, and a big bucket of popcorn. The score really came to life in the theater, and some of those shots get even better on the big screen. Just a great experience. Between Jaws a few years ago, this, and Alien next month, the only one left on my horror bucket list is a screening of The Exorcist. It also featured a look at Doctor Sleep afterwards and boy that movie looks like a mess.

AstroWhale
Mar 28, 2009
The Magnificant Ambersons (1942) - All good reviews praise a movie that doesn't exist. The movie that was released is a complete mess.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
Welp I'm sick so let's catch up on DVDs

Five Deadly Venoms 7/10: Don't you just hate it when you don't understand why a classic film is considered to be a classic film? On an intellectual level yes I understand this film is very influential and culturally important, and it is a good political intrigue movie don't get me wrong, but I think I ruined things for me self by watching later movies with the Venoms Mob in them first.

Makai Tensho: Samurai Reincarnation 7/10: Slow build up like most samurai movies but at least the main character is more involved in the story here than the main character of Lone Wolf and Cub 5 was. It's principally a character study of several characters getting tempted into being reincarnated into demons in order to fulfill the regret they died with, though most of the characters have revenge on their mind. Interesting if you're into that kinda thing I guess? The final battle scene must have been horrendous to film since how the hell do you have the entire set on fire and keep your actors safe while they swing swords? I'm having lots of trouble picking out what "tricks" they would have used to accomplish it

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Well Joker was a total mess. 2/5 for cinematography and Joaquin but that plot is a train wreck. The bigger it got the less it executed. If it had stayed a small and confined character study it would have been truly great, but it tries to attach a lot of big issues to the plot and does nothing with them at all leaving me confused why they’re even there.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Oct 5, 2019

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
I haven't seen anything good in a minute...

hellboy (2019) - 1/5 - i like the source material and this i guess is..tonally closer but is just a trainwreck of a thing that feels very thrown together in post production with bandaids. also commits the ole hubris ending..and you know what they say about assuming, expensive-movie-that-flopped-very-badly

detective pikachu -2/5 - wasn't by choice but i gave it a chance. i'm not the target audience for this film. this might have landed better if i had any attachment or emotion associated with pokemon. i guess it was ok, but if you're going for a who framed roger rabbit vibe i'm going to just watch that instead..sorry?

rambo last blood - 1/5 as it was intended, 5/5 as being a tonally surreal bizarre wtf of a movie - if i gave you a summary of this movie, but in very basic terms of plot points consisting of 4 or 5 word sentences, you would think i was messing with you..pluses are, he keeps his 72 year old shirt on for all our sake and the extreme close-ups on his face are thankfully not all that often..i don't know if this will become a cult movie, but i'm sure it'll spawn a bunch of memes because thats what being alive is now you guys

joker - 2/5 - the lead did his best (given the script/direction)..some of the shots are legit fantastic from a cinematography perspective..but the rest of it? ....
a standing ovation at cannes...really?

gemini man - 2/5 - it had exactly one interesting action sequence so it wasn't complete irredeemable garbage..but it got close. 2d, 24fps, an extra hundred frames, and a third dimension couldn't get me to see this crappy flick twice... and i live in a city that cared enough to offer it up in 120fps. i'm usually a sucker for going to see a gimmick in theaters at least once and even i couldn't muster the fucks to give...this is basic cable fodder as background noise at best...uncanny valley is still the reigning champ weta, maybe next year

my best of 2019 is pretty short so far (1 entry)...high hopes for the fall/winter run when studios stack the good stuff (and it gets to be a nightmare to want to go out into the dark cold night to see them, naturally)

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

best of the year so far in no order:

Booksmart
The Farewell
Peanut Butter Falcon
Us
Last Black Man in SF

hoping Knives Out is as good as it sounds

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Bottom Liner posted:

best of the year so far in no order:

Booksmart
The Farewell
Peanut Butter Falcon
Us
Last Black Man in SF

hoping Knives Out is as good as it sounds

My only #1 so far.
Need to see: Booksmart, Farewell, Knives Out, Greener Grass, Jojo rabbit, The Lighthouse, Paradise Hills, The Lodge, The Irishman, Uncut gems, 1917, Luce, La Verite, & Parasite

Also missed (and most likely second tier): Ma, Good Boys, American Factory, Jawline, In the shadow of the moon, In the tall grass, Lucy in the Sky

I'm going to be playing some serious catchup in December.

zer0spunk fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Oct 17, 2019

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Best for me this year so far were

- Long Day's Journey Into Night
- Last Black Man In San Francisco
- Monos
- Climax
- Alita: Battle Angel

most of the year is still to come tho

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Backlog of movies I've seen fairly recently (going back to late summer).

Road House (1989): C
I had never seen this movie until I happened to DVR it off the TV. Just the description alone was hilariously ridiculous: "PhD bouncer cleans up a tough local bar". I can't wait to watch the Rifftrax version.

The Palm Beach Story (1942): B

Friendly Persuasion (1956): B+
Apparently, Gary Cooper was a shithead in real life. But I liked him in this movie playing a Quaker farmer against the backdrop of the American Civil War. The movie's depiction of the struggle between holding true to your beliefs and fighting for what's right was insightful. I thought some plot points towards the end were somewhat telegraphed, but that's a minor nitpick. Overall a good movie.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

zer0spunk posted:

My only #1 so far.
Need to see: Booksmart, Farewell, Knives Out, Greener Grass, Jojo rabbit, The Lighthouse, Paradise Hills, The Lodge, The Irishman, Uncut gems, 1917, Luce, La Verite, & Parasite

I believe this is out on VOD or similar tomorrow, I hope so. I need it in my life.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
I'm hoping it plays in a better theater then just IFC center, but they own the rights to it so I don't know if the larger chains will get to screen it :\
Trying to hold out for the hope it hits a huge screen like AMC Lincoln Sq, but I'm doubtful.

As much as I like supporting indie theaters, the actual viewing part always pales to a large chain like amc, regal or alamo and living in NYC those usually cover indies for the most part.

Parasite, lighthouse and jojo rabbit are all playing at amcs on much nicer, larger screens with better comfortable stadium seating and I can't help myself. Indie theater is always obstructed view in broken chairs.

zer0spunk fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Oct 18, 2019

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I'm not starved for theaters but I don't think we have any IFCs here so I guess that's why I'm not seeing it anywhere near me. That's fine, a home viewing is never an issue.

My favorite local indie has decent reclining seats, which is always appreciated (especially since they do a deal for $20 where you get 2 drinks, a large popcorn, a box of candy and a ticket for another screening at a later date which is pretty drat fair) and a big step up from the place I grew up near that was like watching a film while sat on a bus.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Judy: 4/5, pretty standard beats but it just nails it so well and Renee's performance is fantastic
:glomp:

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
Godzilla King of the Monsters (2019) - 2/5

I have a high tolerance for dumb in my giant monster movies if they're fun, but uh this is not not not that. It didn't even work as a mindless eye candy CGI spectacle for me because so much of it is dark, blurred and/or rainy to appreciate the look of it. It doesn't have the simple pleasures of the shabbier old Godzilla movies or the satisfying doom-and-gloom of the 2014 movie. It's stupid in a flatly boring and irritating way.

Terminator: Salvation (2009) - 2/5

This wasn't a total loss, but it was just kind of boring and I never gave a poo poo. It seems determined to deprive everybody of the cool world the first two movies' Future War snippets promised in favor of dour dudes dressed like extras from Black Hawk Down shooting Terminators with the exact guns that didn't work on them in the first two movies. It also seems like it's just missing chunks that are supposed to tie everything together. It's flatly worse than Terminator 3, which was itself fairly pointless but nowhere near as dull.

Aquaman (20180 - 4/5

This was pretty good! It essentially accomplished what the Marvels movies all shoot for, but clearly did it better than most of them. The humor was more organic, the CGI spectacle was more spectacular, the action was more dynamic. They really seemed to stick to the axiom that if you can't make something look real, you'd better at least make it look real interesting. Instead of, I dunno an airport or some poo poo.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Zombieland Double Tap 2/5 Woody is good but the movie as a whole doesn’t come close to recapturing the fun of the original, plus zombie fatigue is real.

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013

Bottom Liner posted:

Zombieland Double Tap 2/5 Woody is good but the movie as a whole doesn’t come close to recapturing the fun of the original, plus zombie fatigue is real.

but is there a Bill Murray cameo?

lurker2006
Jul 30, 2019
True Grit(2010) 3.5/5(probably being too harsh due to the pedigree)
It has the signature quality of any Cohen Brother's film and two tremendous performances(and one pretty good one from Damon) but something about it left me with a bit lukewarm impression, don't know if it's simply the source material or the particulars of how it was adapted. Rare for any movie I've seen but it almost could have been a little longer, the length of the journey and the progression of the character relationships smacked of tell don't show gaps that were glossed over. The climax felt jarringly rushed and bloated, going from a hostage negotiation to a shootout to an execution to an India Jones esque cliff set piece and rescue all in the span of 5 minutes. The epilogue rebounded with a poignant, nostalgic note but wasn't quite enough to recover, a movie less than the sum of its quality parts.

lurker2006 fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Oct 23, 2019

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

TommyGun85 posted:

but is there a Bill Murray cameo?

yes but its just an after credits scene you should youtube

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL

Bottom Liner posted:

I think I'd give it 3/5. I agree with all your points AND I think the movie was incredibly predictable, right up to and including the final thing in Babylon, but I actually kind of liked it as just a familiar comfort food kind of movie.

And yes Bill Murray gets some screen time.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
Jay and Silent Bob Reboot. Not as good as the original, but sequels almost never are. Lots of great funny bits, some gags made me groan but again that was expected. Not a fan of Emoji Bob at all. Liked HQS and Jay as a father-daughter duo. Plot had a few great surprises. Kevin Smith will always be a worthy member of our generation celebrities (1980s-2020s). 3/5.

Oh and Ben Affleck, I laughed at you in this, but I think you were terrible as Batman, yo!

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

3/5 is higher than I was expecting, so maybe I won't hate it as much as I thought.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I just watched Warm Bodies. I have put off or just skipped this movie for years despite friend recommendations. I regret it.

10/10