Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

roarpower
Jul 11, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Randarkman posted:

Yeah people keep bringing up that as though its not bullshit. There was nothing in TFA which forced Rian Johnson to add a yo mama joke or write a 40-minute pointless B plot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

roarpower
Jul 11, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
loving star wars

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

I LITERALLY SLEEP IN A RACING CAR. DO YOU?
p.s. ask me about my subscription mattress
Ultra Carp

seriously op, whats to explain?

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Frankenstyle posted:

I was being a little hyperbolic. Yoda burning down the Jedi church as a joke was one of my favorite cinema moments ever.

*And yeah, everyone including Mark Hamill being all like "That's not my Luke" Apparently never saw episodes 4-6.

wait what? in reference to TLJ luke?

I loved TLJ luke. bitter and angry suits him better than any other outcome, particularly since the space nazis came back for some reason I still can't figure out

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

Frankenstyle posted:

The only thing wrong with The Last Jedi is that Rian Johnson had to spend so much time tearing down all the terrible poo poo JJ Abrams set up, he ran out of time to add anything new.
characters talking about tearing things down doesn't mean that's actually happening.

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
You smell like Lysol Wipes.

Saint Drogo posted:

characters talking about tearing things down doesn't mean that's actually happening.

Huhwa? I'm talking about how TLJ took all the Goofy rehash fanfiction style poo poo that Abrams was teasing, like "OMG who are Rey's parents???" and "Is Snoke the love child of Jabba and Vader???" and other assorted tired gimmicks, and broke all the stupid toys in JJ's Star Wars Toybox so that hopefully someone would have to put some actual thought into where the story should go. But now sadly Abrams is back and clearly thinking "Johnson hosed me. If Rey can't be the child of Greedo's widow and Yoda's ghost Then I'll just bring back the Goddamn Emperor" and the incoming fanfic tsunami gonna be so much worse than predicted.

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
In fact, I predict JJ will gently caress up 9 so badly that Disney trades Star Wars back to Lucas for a 12 pack of chicken soft tacos, and Lucas spends the final years of his life putting on surprise Star Wars puppet shows at random bus stops in the LA area.

Toughy
Nov 29, 2004

KAVODEL! KAVODEL!

Frankenstyle posted:

In fact, I predict JJ will gently caress up 9 so badly that Disney trades Star Wars back to Lucas for a 12 pack of chicken soft tacos, and Lucas spends the final years of his life putting on surprise Star Wars puppet shows at random bus stops in the LA area.

Best possible outcome, so it won't happen.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Solo was fine except for the guy who played Solo.
Woody Harrelson doing goofy cowboy gun spinning tricks while standing tall on the front lines of a WW1 style trench battle is hilarious.

Also separately, you should have known Rian Johnson sucked by the way he pronunces "Rian" vs the way it is spelled.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

wait is "Rye" "an" not the way to pronounce "Rian" now

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
It's pronounced with a hard 'I' and a harder a: Ryan.

JK Fresco
Jul 5, 2019
REEEEEEE-in'

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

"We'll see how the first year goes. But people better get us now, because we're going to keep getting better and better."
I like them but they're bad

a peck of pickled peckers
Aug 3, 2014

I am your Redeemer! It is by my hand that you arise from the ashes of this world!

Just watched the trailer for the new star wars and lmao at Disney hyping it up as THE END OF A STAR WARS ERA when we all know they're going to force (heh) feed us star wars until we're all fat little fois-gras space ducks

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

a peck of pickled peckers posted:

Just watched the trailer for the new star wars and lmao at Disney hyping it up as THE END OF A STAR WARS ERA when we all know they're going to force (heh) feed us star wars until we're all fat little fois-gras space ducks

the end of the star wars era where "star wars" meant luke, leia, hans, chewie, the beginning of the era where "star wars" means one of the 30 properties currently under development on disney+ to answer all your favourite star wars mysteries. such as, how did boba fett get his name? how did cassian andor get his name? how did obi wan kenobi get his name? how long will the rian johnson trilogy idea be floated around before it gets dropped without a word?

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

b-minus1 posted:

One really good movie (4), one great movie (5) and one underwhelming yet satisfying movie (6). The rest are trash

This pretty much sums it up.

If you're reading this and thinking, "But what about (movie that isn't episode 4, 5, or 6)? That one was (average or better)!" it wasn't. It was bad.

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
E: wrong thread

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
Star Wars. If I wasn't between the ages (either physically or emotionally) of 11 and 14 when I saw it, it's poo poo.

I meant that sarcastically, but seeing it in print, it feels like a reasonable criticism.

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009

Randarkman posted:

Yeah people keep bringing up that as though its not bullshit. There was nothing in TFA which forced Rian Johnson to add a yo mama joke or write a 40-minute pointless B plot.

Just making GBS threads on something bad isn't brilliant art. Sure, yeah, "it's bad!" might be true and worth saying, but all you really did was take a big poo poo.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

piratepilates posted:

the end of the star wars era where "star wars" meant luke, leia, hans, chewie, the beginning of the era where "star wars" means one of the 30 properties currently under development on disney+ to answer all your favourite star wars mysteries. such as, how did boba fett get his name? how did cassian andor get his name? how did obi wan kenobi get his name? how long will the rian johnson trilogy idea be floated around before it gets dropped without a word?

While the Rian Johnson trilogy is totally going to quietly disappear too, I'd hedge my bets on the Benioff/Weiss Game of Thrones guys Star Wars trilogy getting on the chopping block first. :laugh:

JK Fresco
Jul 5, 2019

super sweet best pal posted:

Like I've said before, if 4-6 were a WW2 allegory, the sequels should've been a Cold War spy series with both sides having Death Stars to represent mutually assured destruction.

Hairy Busey posted:

And the Jedi are the commies while the New Republic is America

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
The expanded universe had a cool feel to it when the games Dark Forces and Jedi Knight came out but then the prequels happened and then everything else happened and maybe I just grew out of this sort of thing but the poo poo sucks now, imo.

I am as grumpy as this cartoon man but without a cool metal vest:

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !
The best scene for me was this one
https://youtu.be/bRV-C9qBaYA
Obi Wan is using deliberate, defensive movements, giving the clones every opportunity to surrender; Yoda is just loving stabbing huge holes in them and screaming in rage. By the end of the short sequence Obi Wan is grief stricken and is just like gently caress it *bisects a clone trooper vertically*
They really were decevied by the Sith and had to chop their way out of it. Awesome.

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

ClamdestineBoyster posted:

Luke starts to have sex with his sister but then realizes he’s gay and the rest of the poo poo is his dad and his gay buddies trying to get Luke to be gay with them but he’s not into it.

In highschool I dated a girl who never saw the originals. We watched, she was so hard up for them to get together. Then the reveal. Then she was disgusted with herself for wanting incest in space. We broke up after, because I learned we weren't related.

It was like poetry.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

this is the only star wars i can watch now

JEDI PARTY :2bong:

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

Sjs00 posted:

Yoda is just loving stabbing huge holes in them and screaming in rage.
what Star Wars was always missing.

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

Animal-Mother posted:

The expanded universe had a cool feel to it when the games Dark Forces and Jedi Knight came out but then the prequels happened and then everything else happened and maybe I just grew out of this sort of thing but the poo poo sucks now, imo.

I am as grumpy as this cartoon man but without a cool metal vest:

:same:

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Anyone figure out the bombers in the last jedi yet? I don't think this has had enough discussion.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Randarkman posted:

Vader' entrance in IV appearing calmly after the storm troopers is much cooler and more menacing than the stupid monster/video game poo poo he does in Rogue One. That scene is stupid and masturbatory, on the level of Yoda and the Emperor doing lightsaber poo poo.

People forget how loving awesome Tarkin is in that movie.

Vader being a cog in the beauracracy is a really cool touch.

SilvergunSuperman fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Oct 23, 2019

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

Randarkman posted:

Vader' entrance in IV appearing calmly after the storm troopers is much cooler and more menacing than the stupid monster/video game poo poo he does in Rogue One. That scene is stupid and masturbatory, on the level of Yoda and the Emperor doing lightsaber poo poo.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qrPPj3e2M-M

Barudak
May 7, 2007

To have a Star Wars, first you must create the universe

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.
... don't watch star wars, op.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Barudak posted:

To have a Star Wars, first you must create the universe

Don't think that's true, pretty sure the movie came first, attempts at creating a huge franchise out of whatever was shown later.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Lambert posted:

Don't think that's true, pretty sure the movie came first, attempts at creating a huge franchise out of whatever was shown later.

nope. lucas created the universe first, tho it was hard to recognize and even weirder

then he made the movie

then he regeared all movies after that to be focused on merchandising because thats where his true genius lay. He pioneered making toys out of EVERYTHING

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !

Saint Drogo posted:

what Star Wars was always missing.

For all his 'wisdom' Yoda got owned real hard by the dark side.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Randarkman posted:

TLJ was a 2 and a half hour episode of Rebels.

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,

Randarkman posted:

To be fair it had a very clear point, but it could have been made with less effort. It was also only eleven minutes of the movie.

Rando
Mar 11, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Tell me the mamma joke. I don't remember the joke. I want to know the joke.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

RFC2324 posted:

nope. lucas created the universe first, tho it was hard to recognize and even weirder

then he made the movie

then he regeared all movies after that to be focused on merchandising because thats where his true genius lay. He pioneered making toys out of EVERYTHING

Is this actually true? At least Wikipedia makes it seem like what he did is write the script for the first movie based on a short two-page synopsis after not getting the rights to Flash Gordon. Not that he had a whole thought out universe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
Spaceships can't exist in a vacuum