Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Ok cool. 1 final thing which is should I be levelling the thoughts much vs just levelling the standard stuff?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
haven't been reading this thread for fear of spoilers, but did anyone else have their opinion of Titus Hardie and his boys completely turn around?

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Jose posted:

Ok cool. 1 final thing which is should I be levelling the thoughts much vs just levelling the standard stuff?

Just keep a skill point around to spend on the TS. Quite a few give really good bonuses

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Million Ghosts posted:

haven't been reading this thread for fear of spoilers, but did anyone else have their opinion of Titus Hardie and his boys completely turn around?

Yeah, albeit not a complete 180. When first talking to them it's already quite clear just a cover up. They do what they think is right but still are just Evrans minions in the end. But that end was also their death in my PT so idk if they have more to say if they survive.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

I do wish I could move the screen into the middle of town and double click and wait for them to get there instead of the constant double clicking

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Million Ghosts posted:

Yeah, they are mostly good guys, trying to do what they think is right. They are pretty dumb though, and seem to rely on people like Liz or Ruby to tell them what to do to not screw everything up.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

I don't like that the skill points apply to both abilities and thoughts. It would be better if you got a separate point in both with every level up.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

while i would like thoughts to be free, you do get so many points that i was running out of useful stuff to put them in near the end of the game

Perhaps a hamster
Jun 15, 2010

Palpek posted:

I don't like that the skill points apply to both abilities and thoughts. It would be better if you got a separate point in both with every level up.

Eh, I don't mind that. It basically forces you to choose whether to go the more predictable path of raising specific skills and receiving known benefits right away, or going on a roleplaying route gamble of, "What would make sense for my character to obsess about?" and accepting that the results may not be optimal for your build.

All of which go out of the window once you know what most thoughts do, but it helps that there's so many of them.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky

Broken Cog posted:

Yeah, they are mostly good guys, trying to do what they think is right. They are pretty dumb though, and seems to rely on people like Liz or Ruby to tell them what to do to not screw everything up.

that was my read on them too. they're Union Men, they do Union Things, but once everything with Klaasje comes to light and you see how hard they tried to cover for her, i can't really be mad they stonewalled me as much as they did. they honestly believe they did what they had to do and what was right to do to help out a fellow outcast. Titus might be a beer swilling wannabe tough guy, but he's also not a bad person by any stretch. and that's what we call good writing!

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
This clothing system wasn't very well thought out.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

barkbell posted:

My kimono, cowboy hat, stolen medal and combat boots are *disco* as gently caress.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
As much as I love the game, yeah the constant swapping does get a bit old to beat a skill check. It's like pre-3DS Ocarina of Time Water Temple iron boots swapping times a million.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

8-bit Miniboss posted:

As much as I love the game, yeah the constant swapping does get a bit old to beat a skill check. It's like pre-3DS Ocarina of Time Water Temple iron boots swapping times a million.

lol i've never even considered doing this i just roll and gently caress it up most of the time. i went with the default thinker playthrough this time and next its going to be pure phs/psy and nothing else

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Jose posted:

I'm on day 2 and seem at a bit of a loose end unless I want to do a dodgy job for the union guy/joyce which I don't really want to do. Is this uncommon and I should read the case files to pass the time or do I suck it up instead of investigating for the gun/badge?

When it comes to the union boss, you can sabotage his plans whenever he wants you to do things for him.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Jose posted:

lol i've never even considered doing this i just roll and gently caress it up most of the time. i went with the default thinker playthrough this time and next its going to be pure phs/psy and nothing else

You can also hold onto earned skill points that you can then apply mid-dialogue if you want to have an easier time passing a skill check. There was a point in the game where I wasn't sure where I wanted to use my points and happened to realize that while the inventory is disabled during dialog, the character sheet isn't. :frogbon:

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Is it a game over if you manage to shoot Cunoesse?

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

hahaha i just shook down an ultrarich fucker for a hundred moneys using a buzzword barrage this game owns

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

A Sometimes Food posted:

Is it a game over if you manage to shoot Cunoesse?

yeah Kim arrests you

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Are there any patch notes?

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

SelenicMartian posted:

Are there any patch notes?

I can’t find any anywhere, even the official discord, and I’ve been looking.

Existence of patches can be followed here:
https://steamdb.info/app/632470/depots/

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Harrow posted:

When it comes to the union boss, you can sabotage his plans whenever he wants you to do things for him.

What else can you sabotage? I got people to forge the signatures for the youth center but I thought the only other task he gives you is to unlock that guy's door, which seems pretty binary.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
The guy who's room you unlock the door for is the cryptofascist, so don't feel too bad about it.
Also, it's just an intimidation tactic.

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

8-bit Miniboss posted:

IMO something the game should do is implement Fire Emblem RNG - which is that if a "roll" is determined a success or failure, even if you reload an old save the game will "remember" the result of that roll. The only way to make the game re-roll is if you significantly change the odds (increase your chances by more than 10%). This would limit the urge to save-scum and reload and swap clothing around

Or the game could hide what clothing does a bit or have matching outfit bonuses. You see this a bit - I have no idea what my "tax extortion" shoes do.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

8-bit Miniboss posted:

You can also hold onto earned skill points that you can then apply mid-dialogue if you want to have an easier time passing a skill check. There was a point in the game where I wasn't sure where I wanted to use my points and happened to realize that while the inventory is disabled during dialog, the character sheet isn't. :frogbon:

Really? That loving rules.

Failed a skill check and one of the "suggestions" from the failed skill talking to me was to pantomime playing a fiddle and saying YOU ARE BEING PLAYED LIKE A FIDDLE LOL. :getin:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Phenotype posted:

What else can you sabotage? I got people to forge the signatures for the youth center but I thought the only other task he gives you is to unlock that guy's door, which seems pretty binary.

Yeah, it might just be the second task.

As for the first task, the guy whose room you unlock is a fascist so I don't feel too bad about helping Evrart intimidate him. In fact, that intimidation made it easier for me to intimidate him later on to give me something important.

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore
Ending question/discussion

I really enjoyed all the questioning to figure out the case, felt like Phoenix Wright. The ending reveal of "it's a crazy war holdout" was a little too random for me though. I assume you can catch him around town occasionally?

Outcome questions: What happens if you arrest Klassje? I didn't because I don't care about espionage, but seems like it would have been useful in the tribunal.

Also what's the least dead you can get through the tribunal with? I played through it a few times but the best I could do was keeping Titus, the lawyer, and a couple of the boys alive.

Related, I let Ruby go free. What happens to her?

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Someone mentioned editing your stats by just going into the save game and editing it in notepad, I've found the files but the changes don't stick? Did they fix that or did it never work to begin with? Or am I loving it up?

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Broken Cog posted:

The guy who's room you unlock the door for is the cryptofascist, so don't feel too bad about it.
Also, it's just an intimidation tactic.

So like, what did Gary actually do anyway? Facism is bad yes but that can't be all seeing as Evrart gave Rene a do nothing job and that fellow is pretty dang "traditional" himself. Did I miss something?

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

A Sometimes Food posted:

Someone mentioned editing your stats by just going into the save game and editing it in notepad, I've found the files but the changes don't stick? Did they fix that or did it never work to begin with? Or am I loving it up?

You've got to put the json file back in the save .zip. I've done it for skill points, not actually sure if it works for stats but should.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Caidin posted:

So like, what did Gary actually do anyway? Facism is bad yes but that can't be all seeing as Evrart gave Rene a do nothing job and that fellow is pretty dang "traditional" himself. Did I miss something?

He called him a rat so my guess is he either was telling the Coalition poo poo or Evrart thought he may have made the call about the hanging.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Wow, I actually managed to fail a 97% roll :stonklol:.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Caidin posted:

I don't think it's ever specified, I guess they were just on bad terms. The task isn't as much about scaring the guy as it is about Evrart wanting to show everyone that he can boss an RCM detective around anyway, it's a trivial task. He's all about the power plays.

Rene is just an old weirdo, nobody takes him seriously. There's no reason for Evrart to mess with him.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Nothingtoseehere posted:

You've got to put the json file back in the save .zip. I've done it for skill points, not actually sure if it works for stats but should.

Works for skill points but doesn't seem to let you gently caress with stats, which kinda kills my plans for a "everything super high" run cause the stat caps are still in place even with infinite skill points.

Least not how I'm doing it.

Digital Osmosis
Nov 10, 2002

Smile, Citizen! Happiness is Mandatory.

Uh, who is Rene? Did I miss a character entirely? Or his he one of those who's description was their name in game for a while and I just never noticed when he got a real name?

not an endorsement posted:

At my ending Kim acknowledged how my character somehow manages to balance being an ultralib with being a commie, which was fun.

Wait, really? I'm honestly unclear how that would work so I have no idea what he would say. I wanna see how the gently caress that's pulled off - do you remember the line? A paraphrase if not would also be appreciated.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Digital Osmosis posted:

Uh, who is Rene? Did I miss a character entirely? Or his he one of those who's description was their name in game for a while and I just never noticed when he got a real name?

Wait, really? I'm honestly unclear how that would work so I have no idea what he would say. I wanna see how the gently caress that's pulled off - do you remember the line? A paraphrase if not would also be appreciated.

Rene is the old soldier playing a ball game with his friend in the shell crater.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

wiegieman posted:

Half-Light seemed like one of the more useless skills. You actually get to use it, like, one time. The rest is "oh you better be keyed up man, something's going down" but it doesn't actually do the reaction check, that's Reaction Speed or something.

It's clear that the full scope of the game was pared down to something which they could polish into a finished project - a single case. That's why there's almost no times when there's anything close to combat in the game, and hence, why skills related to combat are not used that often.

Palpek posted:

I feel like this game would benefit if there was no way to manually save (with more frequent auto-saves) and also dialogue options would just disappear instead of getting greyed out. It would make the decisions feel that more final. I know that you can just, you know, not do it but it's psychological. This would require for the game not to break down and not have a couple of unwinnable situations though (like having not enough money at the end of day 2).

With that as the only changes? No the game would not benefit from that, because the game is not designed around that. You would need to change the mechanics, add in many more options and ways to get around situations, and remove automatic failures/successes for rolling double 1's or double 6's, among other things.

Davincie posted:

while i would like thoughts to be free, you do get so many points that i was running out of useful stuff to put them in near the end of the game

I'm not even sure how that's possible. I started out with 4 INT and 4 MOT and never hit any of the caps for those skills, and not even the 2 points into Authority, and the 1 into Empathy and Physical Instrument (opening a certain locked container) wouldn't have been enough to max it.

barkbell posted:

It seems like another thing put in specifically to smooth some of the hard edges off of skill checks for skills you might not be specialized into. Without the bonuses from clothing, it would be harder to progress, and more alternate options would need to be put into place to allow players to complete the game.

Phenotype posted:

I think that if you click on the door, Kim chimes in points out that no one is actually watching, so you can just leave the door locked, go back to Evrart and CLAIM to have opened the door. You'll need to pass a Drama check for the lie of course, and he'll test you on what you saw, but you can bluff that with the right answer.

Digital Osmosis
Nov 10, 2002

Smile, Citizen! Happiness is Mandatory.

Night10194 posted:

Rene is the old soldier playing a ball game with his friend in the shell crater.

Yup, I missed him entirely. I did however pass a perception check late game to notice the two old guys were missing, which was a secret task "never talk to the told men in the crater" and netted me ten exp. Well, for the next playthrough I guess.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

With that as the only changes? No the game would not benefit from that, because the game is not designed around that. You would need to change the mechanics, add in many more options and ways to get around situations, and remove automatic failures/successes for rolling double 1's or double 6's, among other things.

I'm down with removing automatic failures but not automatic successes. Automatic failures feel sort of wrong to me--if a player has invested enough in a skill and done enough to get modifiers so that a check is 97%, it seems to me that the narrative would be best-served by passing the check. Failing a 97% check doesn't feel good no matter what the result is because by that point the player has clearly told the game, "This is something I really want to see succeed." But I do think that always having at least a 3% chance to succeed if you roll two sixes at the very least can lead to a few surprising moments and doesn't do any harm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Wow, I actually managed to fail a 97% roll :stonklol:.

One of the very first things I did in this game was succeeding in the 3% roll to get rid of The Expression.