Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

tuyop posted:

Notes, Evernote and Scanner Pro all do this.

Can’t figure out how to use Notes to do this with pictures I already took, but Scanner Pro was something I didn’t think about and works fine (already owned it).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Microsoft Lens also.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

And Adobe Scan

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Scanner Pro is so good. It's so easy to get a document that I'm bound to misplace like an eyeglass RX or my dog's shot records and just stick it in the cloud.

Microsoft Lens is pretty amazing at photographing whiteboards though.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Krispy Wafer posted:

Scanner Pro is so good. It's so easy to get a document that I'm bound to misplace like an eyeglass RX or my dog's shot records and just stick it in the cloud.

Scanner Pro has been huge for me and my family. Every receipt, invoice, or document that we receive we quickly scan it and it automatically shoots up to our Google Drive scan folder (for later categorization). I can't count the number of times I've needed to reference a manual, or pull an invoice to dispute something, or any other number of cases and it's so wonderful to have it all in one digital place that I trust it'll be there. Plus I just toss the paper as soon as it's scanned, so no clutter in the house.

It's lovely.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Is scanner pro better at that than Dropbox? I used to use scanner pro but pretty much forgot about it. I already have Dropbox and their scan seems consistently good.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Snowy posted:

Is scanner pro better at that than Dropbox? I used to use scanner pro but pretty much forgot about it. I already have Dropbox and their scan seems consistently good.

Probably not. All the scanner programs work similar. It's whatever works best with your particular workflow. Dropbox would limit you to Dropbox storage I suppose.

It's more 'having a good scanning app' is important rather than which app it is.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Scanner Pro can do OCR in multiple languages including different writing systems (Latin, Cyrillic, “Japanese” (doesn’t say which script), Greek, and traditional and simplified Chinese) so there are better/worse apps depending on your needs.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Scanner Pro let's you scan to fax which has been extremely helpful for the 2 or 3 times in my life I have had to use it.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

For those of you who care, Instagram was updated today to support dark mode on iOS 13. Now if only they could make an iPad app.

tankadillo
Aug 15, 2006

I found it mildly annoying that my iOS manual was on the “reading now” section of the Books app (it’s not exactly a book you just read through), so I hit the “Mark as Finished” button for it. Suddenly I got a notification that said I’ve completed my “reading goal for the year.”

:thumbsup: :bravo:

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

Boris Galerkin posted:

Apparently this works.

Gotta use lowercases unless you want gently caress to be always capitalized.

Edit: Just like the video you’d need to add a “relative” for loving, hosed, and fucker to get it to learn those words as well. But better than having a million contacts.

don't doxx ur family!!

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

What app is recommended to find (possible) duplicate photos in my library?

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

Boris Galerkin posted:

What app is recommended to find (possible) duplicate photos in my library?

I’ve used Gemini for duplicate file removal. It also does photos.

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =
So my wife and I now have a kid so we’ve finally set up a shared calendar for events which is good.

She’s going back to work and has a set rotating roster which I set up with custom repeats etc which was easy.

My roster however is 5 days a week with my work being open Monday-Saturday. All my shifts are simple 9-5s though and my day offs are always Sunday and something else but there is no rhyme or reason to it so repeating events won’t work.

Is there a way to just like cut and paste an event , so for example I could set up a Monday 9-5 “teacup @ work” event and then just “paste” it onto my days for the month?

I can’t import from work as we do it on a google sheet calendar :/

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

teacup posted:

So my wife and I now have a kid so we’ve finally set up a shared calendar for events which is good.

She’s going back to work and has a set rotating roster which I set up with custom repeats etc which was easy.

My roster however is 5 days a week with my work being open Monday-Saturday. All my shifts are simple 9-5s though and my day offs are always Sunday and something else but there is no rhyme or reason to it so repeating events won’t work.

Is there a way to just like cut and paste an event , so for example I could set up a Monday 9-5 “teacup @ work” event and then just “paste” it onto my days for the month?

I can’t import from work as we do it on a google sheet calendar :/

Why not create the event Monday-Saturday and just delete the second day off every week?

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =

Jazz Marimba posted:

Why not create the event Monday-Saturday and just delete the second day off every week?

Jesus I’m stupid

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

teacup posted:

Jesus I’m stupid

I mean, yeah, but if your job is using a free Google product as a calendar, then WHY NOT loving GOOGLE CALENDAR?

That would make everyone's life a lot easier to just subscribe to a single work calendar. Clearly your employers are more stupid.

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =

XBenedict posted:

I mean, yeah, but if your job is using a free Google product as a calendar, then WHY NOT loving GOOGLE CALENDAR?

That would make everyone's life a lot easier to just subscribe to a single work calendar. Clearly your employers are more stupid.

Don’t even get me started. Google sheets was a compromise from an old excel spreadsheet saved on a shared drive. I work for a company that is worth billions of dollars and had stores in 15+ countries .

Unrelated note but since iOS 13 I’ve been using swipe to type - it’s good and I never had a Samsung so I’ve never used it before.

I don’t know if it’s an iOS update thing or maybe me just thinking it is but I’ve noticed a ton more typos in normal typing though. So many words just not hitting what I’m trying to type, and a lot of accidental spaces or capitalisations that I didn’t have before.

I didn’t change phones- has anyone else experienced this? Or am I just imagining it?

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Nope, same thing here. I think it's driven by the swipe back gesture to delete. I switched to Gboard while they sort it out.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
I can’t tell if this is due to ios13 or an app update for the YouTube app but in ios12 days I could drop out of the YouTube app in the middle of watching a video, come back to the app in many days and the video would still be where I left it. With ios13 and the latest YouTube app sometimes the app will behave as if it’s cold starting even after just dropping out of the app for a few minutes and I have to go back to my watch history to find the video I was in the middle of. Very annoying.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Shaocaholica posted:

I can’t tell if this is due to ios13 or an app update for the YouTube app but in ios12 days I could drop out of the YouTube app in the middle of watching a video, come back to the app in many days and the video would still be where I left it. With ios13 and the latest YouTube app sometimes the app will behave as if it’s cold starting even after just dropping out of the app for a few minutes and I have to go back to my watch history to find the video I was in the middle of. Very annoying.

I’ve noticed that apps in general are a lot quicker to get kicked out of memory in iOS 13 than they were in 12.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Shaocaholica posted:

This is an issue with iOS 13, apps don't seem to stay in memory as long as they used to.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I noticed the exact opposite on my iPad. Apps that wouldn't stay in memory for a hour are still there and ready the next day on 13. That may be the new OS taking better advantage of the extra memory though.

The spellcheck doesn't appear to be working as well anymore. I spell like rear end so I'm fairly dependent on it.

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

Sailing The Seven Seas Searching For Scurvy

Just switched to an iPhone and am looking for a replacement for Sleep As Android. It had an alarm feature that forced you to scan an NFC tag to turn it off. It became an essential part of my routine. Since Apple decided no one but them gets to dirty their NFC reader, is there a decent alternative that uses QR codes or barcodes? I found "Barcode Alarm Clock" but it's a piece of poo poo that crashes after I silence it, and used 18% of my battery today doing nothing but being in the background. More than 1.5 hours of netflix in a low signal area.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

PirateDentist posted:

Since Apple decided no one but them gets to dirty their NFC reader

Third party apps have been able to use the NFC reader since at least iOS 12, and iOS 13 opens it up so that anyone (including you!) can use the NFC reader. The Xs, Xr, and 11 line (ie newer phones) have additional hardware that give it passive reading as well.

Dunno what app you’re looking for, but with Shortcuts you could make an automation where scanning a specific NFC tag will turn off (or on) an alarm or multiple alarms. If there isn’t an app you could just set like 10 alarms annoying close to each other and make the automation turn off all 10 of those alarms when you scan the tag. That way you either force yourself to get up and scan it or you’re gonna have an alarm sound every 5 minutes. Set another automation to [send you a notification with a tappable action to] turn on your alarms every night and you’re set.

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Oct 23, 2019

GenericGirlName
Apr 10, 2012

Why did you post that?

PirateDentist posted:

Just switched to an iPhone and am looking for a replacement for Sleep As Android. It had an alarm feature that forced you to scan an NFC tag to turn it off. It became an essential part of my routine. Since Apple decided no one but them gets to dirty their NFC reader, is there a decent alternative that uses QR codes or barcodes? I found "Barcode Alarm Clock" but it's a piece of poo poo that crashes after I silence it, and used 18% of my battery today doing nothing but being in the background. More than 1.5 hours of netflix in a low signal area.

Alarmy can make you scan qr codes or bar codes for waking up.

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

Do 3rd party alarm clock apps have the ability to let you turn off the alarm without unlocking the phone, like the stock one? When I moved over from Android I tried a ton of clocks and none of them could, and boy am I missing some features in the stock app.

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

Sailing The Seven Seas Searching For Scurvy

Boris Galerkin posted:

Third party apps have been able to use the NFC reader since at least iOS 12, and iOS 13 opens it up so that anyone (including you!) can use the NFC reader. The Xs, Xr, and 11 line (ie newer phones) have additional hardware that give it passive reading

Well poo poo, shows how much I've paid attention. Nice. I'll have to look into shortcuts. What I'm looking for was an alarm that forced you to scan something to turn it off. No sleep timers.

GenericGirlName posted:

Alarmy can make you scan qr codes or bar codes for waking up.

I'll check it out! Though gently caress, does every app have a drat subscription instead of one time upgrade now? Seems worse on iOS than Android, but maybe that's just because I'm looking for new apps for the first time in like five years.

GenericGirlName
Apr 10, 2012

Why did you post that?

Luceo posted:

Do 3rd party alarm clock apps have the ability to let you turn off the alarm without unlocking the phone, like the stock one? When I moved over from Android I tried a ton of clocks and none of them could, and boy am I missing some features in the stock app.

I want to say Sleep Cycle doesn't make you unlock, but I can be wrong and just thinking of snoozing being capable from locked. Hm.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Sleep Cycle is designed to not lock at all. You turn on the alarm and put the phone face down on your nightstand. It turns off the screen automatically but it still an unlocked phone.

I think it works with a locked phone though. I've never actually tried.

It has tap to snooze though which is the best feature EVER.

CygnusTM
Oct 11, 2002

The only problem with alarm apps that keep the phone unlocked is that it keeps the phone from doing automatic iCloud backups. I switched back to the stock app because I was only getting backups on the weekend.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

PirateDentist posted:

I'll check it out! Though gently caress, does every app have a drat subscription instead of one time upgrade now? Seems worse on iOS than Android, but maybe that's just because I'm looking for new apps for the first time in like five years.

Apple has been pushing towards subscriptions and more and more developers are starting to go that route yeah. I think I also read blog posts every now and then about how in general iOS users are way more likely than Android users to go ahead and pay for apps/subscriptions so there's a market/support for it at least. It's also not terrible uncommon for subscription model apps to have a "lifetime unlock" IAP too if you don't want to subscribe, Apollo (reddit client) being one of them I think, nice if you know you are going to be using it for longer than n years.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

For the developers the old model was absolutely horrendous in terms of getting paid for your time and energy. God forbid you charge $3 for the app you worked on full time for a year or two.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

The kick in the balls is when you do buy an app (for me it's Twitteriffic, 1Password, and Reader that come to mind), but then a year later they come out with a "new" version and want you to buy it again.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

IUG posted:

The kick in the balls is when you do buy an app (for me it's Twitteriffic, 1Password, and Reader that come to mind), but then a year later they come out with a "new" version and want you to buy it again.

Well that's the (in my opinion worse) alternative to the subscription model.

They've gotta get paid for their effort somehow or else the app will just become abandonware

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

I’m using the default podcast app and for a while it hasn’t been notifying me when new episodes are released, despite having notifications on. Anyone have any idea what’s going on?

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

IUG posted:

I honestly can't tell if this post is meant ironically.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

xzzy posted:

It has tap to snooze though which is the best feature EVER.

It's the number one reason to use this app, afaic, followed closely by the gradual wakeup volume control poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

Jazz Marimba posted:

I’m using the default podcast app and for a while it hasn’t been notifying me when new episodes are released, despite having notifications on. Anyone have any idea what’s going on?

Do you have notifications on for the individual podcasts in question?