Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
Another FTPA attempt though, by the reporting. :geno:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

Bardeh posted:

Twitter is all abuzz with this general election story...but how exactly is Boris going to get one? I don't get it, he's been asking Labour to agree to one for weeks, how can he magically make one happen now? The extension still hasn't been granted so Labour aren't going to VONC yet...

I think it's more about the election being seen to be his decision, rather than Corbyn tabling a VoNC for one as soon as the extension is confirmed.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

A December election means boomers are less likely to bother going out, right?

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Brojo will give MPs more time to debate brexit deal if they agree to a 12 December general election. Generous of him.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/lewis_goodall/status/1187398349533712393

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Steve2911 posted:

A December election means boomers are less likely to bother going out, right?

Bad weather means only the most committed voters will turn out- ie frothing at the mouth brexiteer maniacs

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

She's going to lose her seat unless they've already arranged a safe one for her in England.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Anyone know what amendments are being voted on for the Queen's Speech?

Amendment G is up right now but I don't know what that is...

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

keep punching joe posted:

She's going to lose her seat unless they've already arranged a safe one for her in England.

Did they ever get around to changing Lib Dem rules so that the leader doesn't have to be an MP?

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

keep punching joe posted:

For the second time lol

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
Did he not even go on TV to announce this? Old Tereezers went on TV to announce every and any old thing. Sometimes she just had a bit of an angry ramble and nobody knew what point she was making.

Amazing how quickly nostalgia sets in in these crazy times.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Pesky Splinter posted:

:lol: gently caress forgot about the tory pisspig. That was on the whips blackmail document wasn't it? Feels like a lifetime ago.
Yup. The one that kept being pulled from imgur.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Seems a bit premature given the EU haven't granted the extension yet. Though maybe the promise of an election will tip France over the edge.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
i want to murder everyone at this recruiters but particularly the 1 person who could have dealt with it for me who wasn't in tuesday/wednesday this week and only today which was apparently the cut off and despite emailing her proof of address never heard back except "welp you msised the cut off"

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
^^^
[e]: Sorry to hear they're loving you around, Jose.

crispix posted:

Did he not even go on TV to announce this? Old Tereezers went on TV to announce every and any old thing. Sometimes she just had a bit of an angry ramble and nobody knew what point she was making.

Probably hoping to mask a possible failure on the voting of the Queen's peach. It makes a better headline than "Boris Historic Queen's Speech Loss" if it gets to that.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Aramoro posted:

Seems a bit premature given the EU haven't granted the extension yet. Though maybe the promise of an election will tip France over the edge.

Won't be able to vote for the GE until Monday, should find out about an extension tomorrow, so it all probably works out.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

crispix posted:

I remember the old days, when the evil brexit pushing tory PM at least had the guts to show her face in front of tame reporters, conservative party activists, and even sometimes carefully selected members of the public. She would do PMQs most weeks, certainly more than twice in three months. If only Boris had her courage.

Jose posted:

i want to murder everyone at this recruiters but particularly the 1 person who could have dealt with it for me who wasn't in tuesday/wednesday this week and only today which was apparently the cut off and despite emailing her proof of address never heard back except "welp you msised the cut off"

Recruiters are such parasites

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

sebzilla posted:

Anyone know what amendments are being voted on for the Queen's Speech?

Amendment G is up right now but I don't know what that is...

Current amendment being voted on is that "the government plans would fail to rebuild the economy, tackle the housing crisis or bring this divided country back together". Result expected imminently.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

marktheando posted:

I remember the old days, when the evil brexit pushing tory PM at least had the guts to show her face in front of tame reporters, conservative party activists, and even sometimes carefully selected members of the public. She would do PMQs most weeks, certainly more than twice in three months. If only Boris had her courage.

Theresa "Public Humilitation Kink" May.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

marktheando posted:

Remember when he won his referendum and then hid from Parliament?

He's such a coward.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Theresa May is old school. Boris just uses an app to get Laura K to come to his house

Fedule posted:

Current amendment being voted on is that "the government plans would fail to rebuild the economy, tackle the housing crisis or bring this divided country back together". Result expected imminently.

lost by 18 votes

baka kaba fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Oct 24, 2019

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Fedule posted:

It failed. (293 ayes 311 noes)

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Fedule posted:

It failed. (293 ayes 311 noes)

Majority of 18.

Are Lib Dems still abstaining on everything? Could have passed it if so.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Jose posted:

Recruiters are bad for employers and candidates, it's an industry designed to extract money from companies seemingly by doing slightly less than the bare minimum. Though that is important to remember, recruiters don't exist to get people jobs, they exist to charge businesses for things.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

https://twitter.com/britainelects/status/1187399919604289538?s=21

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,
election time is but a window.

I'll be back

Aramoro posted:

More than happy to be world leading on it, but the solution is not going to be one that ends at our borders.
Labour's Green New Deal definitely needs an international cooperation component, which isn't something they've been particularly strong on - cooperation with green / left / maybe even liberal parties in other countries (although the latter would probably have problems with any anti-capitalist component, naturally). If we start doing it first, then we could perhaps share the things learned during the process, help the others along the way too? Might be plausible, certainly better than doing nothing.

One slight concern I've had for a while is the extent to which unions determine Labour policy - we know that unions are good for labour rights when said rights are under threat, but also tend to the conservative / reactionary when it comes to wider societal changes that negatively affect their members, even when those changes are essential. Like, say, decarbonization. I'm thinking particularly of a Novara panel at Conference 2019 where a union leader was all "oh yes we love the green new deal, love it, climate is very important!", then when asked about support for a third runway at Heathrow said something like "well, those are good jobs that'll be created, and it'll reduce sky congestion". Might be that the latter is true, but it's beyond my knowledge, anyone else know? Anyway, the first part of that statement is a bit concerning - a lot of the oil jobs are "good jobs", it isn't certain that we'll be able to replace them all with equally-paying jobs, so should it require job losses or downgrades, will those unions start opposing climate policies, and how badly would that affect the Green New Deal?

sorry, just making GBS threads out some thoughts

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

Aramoro posted:

Even without this GE thing, the EU would still grant it ... Seriously.

The EU doesn't want to be blamed, however unreasonably it would seem, for any aspect of this loving shitshow. They want the UK to sort their poo poo out themselves. Plus, the Irish have already publicly said Jan 31, and the EU wouldn't be so dumb as to go against Ireland on this.

Macron is just posturing for the home audience and playing the bad cop. He did the same at the last extension.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Next and final amendment is from the SNP; "the House regrets the UK Government's intention to use the Immigration Bill to end freedom of movement within Europe".

Looks like quite a few abstainees on the opposition benches.

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

sebzilla posted:

Majority of 18.

Are Lib Dems still abstaining on everything? Could have passed it if so.

Liberals won't want government intervention in housing. Perfectly in line with their ideology.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

marktheando posted:

Recruiters are such parasites

I once went to a recruitment agency and the guy told me he'd set me up with an interview so I turned up on the agreed date all suited up only to find they had no record of my appointment and the guy in question wasn't about, so they sent me home and the lovely gent just ignored all attempts to contact him. Fun times indeed.

Now that's the kind of poll I love to see

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Thassa old poll!

chestnut santabag
Jul 3, 2006

I know polls are meaningless and all but :lol::lol::lol:

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
I hear occasionally about the mythical helpful recruiter who, through personal contacts and deep industry knowledge, matches you with the perfect potential employer, supports you through the application and interview process and smooths things every step of the way. But personally I've yet to encounter one who at best couldn't be replaced with 5 minutes of Google and more likely just cold calls you repeatedly to waste your time with jobs that are either unsuitable, or potentially suitable but they won't give you full details of in case you spend 5 minutes on Google to cut them out.

Maybe they offer better service on the employers' side, but I'm pretty doubtful.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
Here we go here we go here we go.

Last election:

Where we stand, presently

Both graphs from Wikipedia

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

Jose posted:

Recruitment agencies are one of the most chaotic, incompetent organisations you'll ever deal with. The fact that they act as gatekeepers to environments where your own competence is under constant scrutiny is one of many reasons why the modern workplace is effectively a lunatic asylum which you are paid to attend.

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

ronya posted:

Here we go here we go here we go.

Last election:

Where we stand, presently

Both graphs from Wikipedia

I love that CUKTIG nosedived harder than Farage

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

ronya posted:

Here we go here we go here we go

This is uncharacteristically animated

Morningwoodpecker
Jan 17, 2016

I DIDN'T THINK IT WAS POSSIBLE FOR SOMEONE TO BE THIS STUPID

BUT HERE YOU ARE

Firos posted:

The reality check here is that if they don’t do it, we die. Like, this is the shot. Because no one else can legislate oil investment out of existence.

People have been saying that since the 70's.

Soon XR will burn out and it'll turn into the importance of environmental education so our children can fix it all. Too little too late and keep passing the buck to the next generation.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
One of the most important developments in the UK for combating global climate change is ensuring Scotland stays in the EU by any means necessary so that the massive renewable energy is available to the energy supergrid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

So I log in & check and there's 75 new posts and it's not about crisps? What is this outrage?

Kidding obviously, but man, I know the prospect of a general election has been lurking for a while but it still feels rather sudden.

Less surprised to hear Jo Swinson is still trash, as are all liberals everywhere.

Coohoolin posted:

One of the most important developments in the UK for combating global climate change is ensuring Scotland stays in the EU by any means necessary so that the massive renewable energy is available to the energy supergrid.

You are a parody account of Scottish nationalists created by Pissflaps and I claim my £5.